Thread: POP to Blackbeard's

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 272 Posts

POP to Blackbeard's

I just booked my first ever trip to Blackbeard's in November. They are currently offering airport pickup for $45. Is this a better deal than the current prices I would get from a taxi at the POP airport?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: POP to Blackbeard's

Quote Originally Posted by exoticspirit View Post
    I just booked my first ever trip to Blackbeard's in November. They are currently offering airport pickup for $45. Is this a better deal than the current prices I would get from a taxi at the POP airport?

Thats probably about the same as the airport taxi rate.
    Enjoy it while you can.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    Thats probably about the same as the airport taxi rate.
    On a good day maybe $40, but they're not too flexible. The only difference in letting BB's arrange pick up is that you pay BB's for the taxi when you check in and a guy is waiting in the crowd with a sign for you.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Has anybody taken a publico from POP to Blackbeard's?

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

If you haven't done it before with someone that knows where they are going I would not advise it. Besides the publico does not enter Costombar. It drops you at the entrance and it is a hike to BB from there. If you have luggage forget it. Not sure if they have motos right inside the entrance.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,480 Times in 657 Posts

Yeah - Juggle and I did it on a trip up there from Sosua about two years ago now. I also did it by myself a few weeks after that.

No issues at all really, and saved a bundle of dough. But we speak some Spanish, and more or less knew what we were doing and where to go (though the cabbie did get lost on the ride up to Costambar the first time and we had to double back a bit). Didn't mind the hike from Blackbeards out to the highway that much, but like Robert says, best to pack light with one small suitcase at the most.

Shouldn't be much more difficult catching a publico by walking from POP out to the highway; in fact, if I were to go there again, that's definitely what I would do. But again, best if you speak some Spanish and know where you're going.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to getrhythm For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Once you clear Customs, go outside of the airport. There will be a driving lane and a parking lot behind that lane. You'll need to walk across the driving lane, across the parking lot to the airport entrance (go left). Walk along the airport entrance road until you reach the main road (DON'T cross the road). Wait there for a gua-gua or carrito. The carritos are autos with red taxi-type signs on top that say PtaPla-Sosua. A gua-gua is a mini-van that will say Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan on it. If one that is not full comes by, flag it down and get in. You shouldn't have to pay more than 60 or 70 pesos per person (that is a guess - I haven't taken them in a while). That will take you into the city of Puerto Plata. Tell the driver that you want "el hospital público". When you get to the public hospital get out of the car/gua-gua and look for a gua-gua (side of the road across from the hospital) with a placard in the window that has a C or an F on it. Either of those gua-guas will take you to the entrance to Costambar. From there, I'd look for a motoconcho to take you to BlackBeards - it is a long walk from the main road at Costambar to BlackBeards. The C or F gua-gua shouldn't be more than 30 or 40 pesos per person.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone - I will have scuba gear with me - might be too much luggage for the publico route?

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Take the 45$ cab! Tell the driver to stop pronto for a frio presidente! Grab 2! Then start drinking! Buy the time ur empty you will arrive at blackbeards! Pick a girl take a shower and start your vacation! Say hi from "Crazy"

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirty rig hand For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    Once you clear Customs, go outside of the airport. There will be a driving lane and a parking lot behind that lane. You'll need to walk across the driving lane, across the parking lot to the airport entrance (go left). Walk along the airport entrance road until you reach the main road (DON'T cross the road). Wait there for a gua-gua or carrito. The carritos are autos with red taxi-type signs on top that say PtaPla-Sosua. A gua-gua is a mini-van that will say Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan on it. If one that is not full comes by, flag it down and get in. You shouldn't have to pay more than 60 or 70 pesos per person (that is a guess - I haven't taken them in a while). That will take you into the city of Puerto Plata. Tell the driver that you want "el hospital público". When you get to the public hospital get out of the car/gua-gua and look for a gua-gua (side of the road across from the hospital) with a placard in the window that has a C or an F on it. Either of those gua-guas will take you to the entrance to Costambar. [By this Seaweed means one of the roads leading from the main road towards Costambar] From there, I'd look for a motoconcho to take you to BlackBeards - it is a long walk from the main road at Costambar to BlackBeards. The C or F gua-gua shouldn't be more than 30 or 40 pesos per person.
    Better would be to catch a JC publico from the same area (on the other side of the road from the Parada de Sosua/Hospital). For 35 pesos this will take you to the gates of Costambar rather than leave you on the main road like the C or F guaguas. You would still need a motoconcho for the final kilometre though.

I am a tight fuck and am always encouraging members to use public transport, but unless you have no luggage it all sounds a lot of hassle, especially if very hot or raining, and even I would bite the bullet and pay for a taxi. It is one of the prices you pay for choosing Blackbeards.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thread Information