Thread: DR Cabbie Paid In US Dollars Or Pesos?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 272 Posts

DR Cabbie Paid In US Dollars Or Pesos?

Is it generally better to pay the DR cabbies in US dollars or pesos? I noticed the threads regarding rates are always in US dollars.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,102 Times in 1,088 Posts

Re: DR Cabbie Paid In US Dollars Or Pesos?

Quote Originally Posted by exoticspirit View Post
    Is it generally better to pay the DR cabbies in US dollars or pesos? I noticed the threads regarding rates are always in US dollars.

They will take both, just be aware of the exchange rate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michel3275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

There is a flat fee from the airport set in dollars. So its often dollars from the airport, but pesos will work fine. The exchange rate right now is about 39 pesos to the dollar. I don't know what the flat rate from the airport is to Sosua. Its $35 to Cabarete. Of course some people are able to negotiate something lower with the taxi drivers, but it depends which taxi driver you talk too and the negotiation would have to be in private.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    There is a flat fee from the airport set in dollars. So its often dollars from the airport, but pesos will work fine. The exchange rate right now is about 39 pesos to the dollar. I don't know what the flat rate from the airport is to Sosua. Its $35 to Cabarete. Of course some people are able to negotiate something lower with the taxi drivers, but it depends which taxi driver you talk too and the negotiation would have to be in private.
    I'm without a car right now. Had to get to Sosua, and back to Puerto Plata. Publico at 10 am today, 4 in the back, and 2 of us in front. 3 get off in Montellano at 30 pesos each. Then no other real long pick up all the way to Sosua ( 25 minutes). Figured the guy got 225 - 250 peso for this run. Then you look at a private taxi from the airport to center of Sosua for $25 (975 pesos), and where's my tip? Now I understand why I see so many guys B4 waiting on the highway with suit cases.
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I would never pay anything in the DR in US dollars or Euros, you are just asking to be ripped off. Price is always higher.

Also before getting in the taxi be clear on the price, if you just get in, get to your destination, you are asking to be ripped off, once you are there you are at their mercy, if you don't have a set price before hand. Really the same philosphy I use with chicas, I don't know. Set the price before entry, normally will allow things to go smoother.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    I'm without a car right now. Had to get to Sosua, and back to Puerto Plata. Publico at 10 am today, 4 in the back, and 2 of us in front. 3 get off in Montellano at 30 pesos each. Then no other real long pick up all the way to Sosua ( 25 minutes). Figured the guy got 225 - 250 peso for this run. Then you look at a private taxi from the airport to center of Sosua for $25 (975 pesos), and where's my tip? Now I understand why I see so many guys B4 waiting on the highway with suit cases.
    Those guys provide a great service. The small returns are part of the reason they drive like maniacs, trying to get in as many return trips in a working day as possible. Normally the cars are very rundown and you have to wonder about their servicing. But the other day I rode a brand new Honda publico. It was the smoothest ride I had had in seven years and the interior was immaculate. Probably because it was new the driver drove very carefully, too. I don't expect another 45 peso ride like that for another seven years!

I would remind those new to publicos that you can pay for two seats to avoid the squashing problems. Still works out a fraction of a private taxi fare.

You get a few tigueres driving but most of them are decent people. A couple of weeks ago I jumped out of the front seat on arrival in Sosua and dashed for the Cabarete publico as I was late for an appointment. In doing so, I dropped my bunch of keys in the first publico and the driver ran after me shouting, while the other drivers shouted at him for blocking the entrance. He was reluctant to accept a tip. I would have been in all sorts of shit without my keys.
    Last edited by weyland; 10-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    I would never pay anything in the DR in US dollars or Euros, you are just asking to be ripped off. Price is always higher.

Also before getting in the taxi be clear on the price, if you just get in, get to your destination, you are asking to be ripped off, once you are there you are at their mercy, if you don't have a set price before hand. Really the same philosphy I use with chicas, I don't know. Set the price before entry, normally will allow things to go smoother.
    I agree with this. I almost always bring pesos home with me, so I hit the ground running.

But if someone is going for the first time or didn't bring pesos back home, the rip off is much cheaper to pay the taxi's in US dollars than to exchange at the airport!!!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

I would remind those new to publicos that you can pay for two seats to avoid the squashing problems. Still works out a fraction of a private taxi fare.
    What exactly is a publico and where do I find them?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

they are public taxis...walk out to the taxi stands almost across from the gas station in sousa...you catch the either the sousa to POP taxi or sousa to rio san juan going the other direction...50 pesos gets you the front seat for yourself...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

What City Nights said:

Shared taxis running along fixed routes, so like a miniature bus service. They use compact saloons that should seat one passenger up front and three at back, but they squeeze in two at front and four at back, so if you want more comfort pay for two seats (up front if possible).

Advantages are:
    Very cheap fixed fares. Sosua to Puerto Plata is 45 pesos (50 after dark) so just over US$1. Shorter trips less.
    They stop and pick up wherever you want along the route.
    Will usually make modest detours for a small tip. For example, they will divert to drop you off at the airport, or do a detour into the centre of Montellano if you want to visit there.
    Will carry your parcels or luggage in the trunk for a small tip (say 20 pesos).
    Very frequent, run about one a minute. Even if four pass you full, a fifth will soon come along with a space.
    Run 24/7 though in the small hours you might need to wait 10 minutes for one. Not the best idea if in a lonely dark place.

Disadvantages are:
    May blast you with music not to your taste or religious or political rants.
    Windows are usually wide open so not for those sensitive to draughts.
    Many drive like maniacs, so not for the nervous.
    The "paying for two seats" option is only guaranteed if you board at the terminus.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll probably take the publico from Sosua to the airport then. But is there a publico route to get from the POP airport to Blackbeard's and the from Blackbeard's to Sosua?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to exoticspirit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I'll probably take the publico from Sosua to the airport then. But is there a publico route to get from the POP airport to Blackbeard's and the from Blackbeard's to Sosua?
    The publico can't enter the airport. It will drop you off at the entrance on the main road. If all you have is a carry-on you can walk the rest of the way; possibly even with one suitcase on wheels I guess.

From BB to Sosua you would go to the main entrance at Costombar and catch the publico there. Then change over to another going to Sosua.
    Enjoy it while you can.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    they are public taxis...walk out to the taxi stands almost across from the gas station in sousa...you catch the either the sousa to POP taxi or sousa to rio san juan going the other direction...50 pesos gets you the front seat for yourself...
    Actually 100 pesos gets you the front seat to yourself because, in reality, you are paying for two seats.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thread Information