Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2012 - Consolidating & Cleaning Up the Forums

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: Consolidating & Cleaning Up the Forums

UPDATE!

Well I cut out even more fat, if a country had less than 100 posts it's gone! Well not gone but now we have a slim and trim "Other Countries"
    • Africa + Trip Reports
    • Asia + Trip Reports
    • Philippines + Trip Reports
    • Thailand + Trip Reports
    • Caribbean+ Trip Reports
    • Cuba + Trip Reports
    • DR(duh) + Trip Reports
    • Central America + Trip Reports
    • Costa Rica + Trip Reports
    • Europe + Trip Reports
    • South America + Trip Reports
    • Brazil + Trip Reports
    • Colombia + Trip Reports
    • Canada + Trip Reports

Now before people start panicking I did the following with every thread! (YES I READ EVERY THREAD IN THE OLD COUNTRY SECTIONS!)

• I applied a Thread Prefix for every thread
    • I sticky'ed every thread that was considered "FAQ/Info" or "Maps" I also stick'ed certain threads that were of excellent quality but a different topic (e.g. A thread that had a list of sex clubs, technically a "Sex Club" Prefix)
    • I applied Thread Prefixes to the threads in Trip Reports, they weren't all Trip Reports!
    • I changed the threads titles so now for example if it is in Asia it reads "Vietnam - original thread name" (Two reasons, to prepare for the new auto tagging system, and secondly since they are now in region sections people will be able read the country the topic is about, something like "Massage Parlors" in the Asia section is pointless unless it says "Hong Kong - Massage Parlors")
    • I corrected the spelling in the thread titles.
    • I corrected abbreviations of cities in the thread titles. (This is very important from now on. BA = Buenos Aires and people know that but the forum software doesn't, you can't search for words with less then 3 letters! Also it will help with tagging!)

I finished every country except for;
    • Cuba - Still need to add "Cuba -" to every thread and apply a Prefix and move them to the new forum "Cuba - Topics" I know I will get lost in the threads there especially the ones with old cars in them so I saved it for last!
    • I need to apply the country name to the thread titles and correct the spelling/abbreviations for Brazil & Costa Rica sections. (Of course since they have their own sections so this is only for tagging purposes.)
    • I need to go back to Thailand & The Philippines and do the same with applying the country name to the beginning of the thread and correct spelling/abbreviations. (Again if you want to just type "AC/ac" in your post that's fine but we really need "Angeles City" spelled out in the Thread Title from now on.)
    • I need to clean up the lesser cities in Colombia and possibly the DR as I described a few posts up.
    Last edited by Don Tomas; 10-10-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: forgot our European & Canadian friends
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Where in the fuck do you find the time!?!?!?!?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Where in the fuck do you find the time!?!?!?!?
    I'm sitting for a couple weeks, I think everyone is in hold for the elections before they spend money for new projects.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    I'm sitting for a couple weeks, I think everyone is in hold for the elections before they spend money for new projects.
    looks very good.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

I saw Jamaica is pooled in with Carribian...

I think it deserves its own country heading with all the work Rocko did....

its a fairly major spot for the board. all the other carribian islands should be pooled together in carribean section..

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

UPDATE!

Now before people start panicking I did the following with every thread! (YES I READ EVERY THREAD IN THE OLD COUNTRY SECTIONS!)

• I applied a Thread Prefix for every thread
    • I sticky'ed every thread that was considered "FAQ/Info" or "Maps" I also stick'ed certain threads that were of excellent quality but a different topic (e.g. A thread that had a list of sex clubs, technically a "Sex Club" Prefix)
    • I applied Thread Prefixes to the threads in Trip Reports, they weren't all Trip Reports!
    • I changed the threads titles so now for example if it is in Asia it reads "Vietnam - original thread name" (Two reasons, to prepare for the new auto tagging system, and secondly since they are now in region sections people will be able read the country the topic is about, something like "Massage Parlors" in the Asia section is pointless unless it says "Hong Kong - Massage Parlors")
    • I corrected the spelling in the thread titles.
    • I corrected abbreviations of cities in the thread titles. (This is very important from now on. BA = Buenos Aires and people know that but the forum software doesn't, you can't search for words with less then 3 letters! Also it will help with tagging!)

I finished every country except for;
    • Cuba - Still need to add "Cuba -" to every thread and apply a Prefix and move them to the new forum "Cuba - Topics" I know I will get lost in the threads there especially the ones with old cars in them so I saved it for last!
    • I need to apply the country name to the thread titles and correct the spelling/abbreviations for Brazil & Costa Rica sections. (Of course since they have their own sections so this is only for tagging purposes.)
    • I need to go back to Thailand & The Philippines and do the same with applying the country name to the beginning of the thread and correct spelling/abbreviations. (Again if you want to just type "AC/ac" in your post that's fine but we really need "Angeles City" spelled out in the Thread Title from now on.)
    • I need to clean up the lesser cities in Colombia and possibly the DR as I described a few posts up.
    I put Philippines - at the start of every thread for the Philippines forum. I got all the AC's and changed them to Angeles City.

I'm going to try to unstick every thread that isn't a info/FAQ, Map or what I want to call Master thread (A thread that links list of places).

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I saw Jamaica is pooled in with Carribian...

I think it deserves its own country heading with all the work Rocko did....

its a fairly major spot for the board. all the other carribian islands should be pooled together in carribean section..
    SeaWeed = Rocko? Because that is the person with the best info on Jamaica.

He has posted some great info which I sticky'ed but Jamaica is only 110 posts of info including the Trip Reports. Falling a little short of needing it's own forum, I have been using 150-200 as the break point, depending on the number of TRs which go in their own sub-forum. Also if I pulled Jamaica CI would go down to 58 posts only, that is probably the biggest reason I combined it, to make CI look better!

Trust me I have a plan in action to highlight this valuable information even more for our members, but right now I am cleaning things up. With the "Country - " I added to the titles it will be very simple to pull them back out.

Please just a little patience until it's all done. I know we lose a lot of members by our weirdness and off-topic abilities.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

He has posted some great info which I sticky'ed but Jamaica is only 110 posts of info including the Trip Reports. Falling a little short of needing it's own forum, I have been using 150-200 as the break point, depending on the number of TRs which go in their own sub-forum. Also if I pulled Jamaica CI would go down to 58 posts only, that is probably the biggest reason I combined it, to make CI look better!

Trust me I have a plan in action to highlight this valuable information even more for our members, but right now I am cleaning things up. With the "Country - " I added to the titles it will be very simple to pull them back out.

Please just a little patience until it's all done. I know we lose a lot of members by our weirdness and off-topic abilities.
    i see your point on jamiaca. Overall the removing of subforums looks 100% better to me ....so you are on right track.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    i see your point on jamiaca. Overall the removing of subforums looks 100% better to me ....so you are on right track.
    Yeahh. I though we would lose some organization by losing many of the sub forums but having the name of the country in the front line and the prefixes (and maybe in color when everythings done) makes things jump out a lot more when you look at new posts and your subscribed posts. You'll easily be able to tell what country the thread belongs too and what kind of info is inside.

Very exxcited to see what the end result looks like but I agree this is the right track.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

yup da same........

Jamaica ranked right up there with Colombia, Costa Rica, AC and Thailand in the poll taken by ISOC on countries that mongers have been to...
    and they were right behind Mexico and the DR as the number 1 and 2 countries.......
    though if Costa Rica and Colombia have their own subforum/heading......then Jamaica should too......
    I don't put a lot of weight on posts as we have a ton of Jamaican lurkers on here that don't post at all or much.......
    I can think of at least a dozen guys alone(6 live there) then monger in Jamaica but never post for whatever reason..
    it's funny cause the guys that live in Jamaica that own resorts there are big time mongers but they try to keep it under wrap....
    though many being married or attached is probably the biggest reason for them not posting........
    but as long as guys can find there way to Jamaica on here without a problem this guy really doesn't care.......
    mi have setup websites before and know how much work goes into it........which is a ton......so mi hat is off to Don

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    yup da same........

Jamaica ranked right up there with Colombia, Costa Rica, AC and Thailand in the poll taken by ISOC on countries that mongers have been to...
    and they were right behind Mexico and the DR as the number 1 and 2 countries.......
    though if Costa Rica and Colombia have their own subforum/heading......then Jamaica should too......
    I don't put a lot of weight on posts as we have a ton of Jamaican lurkers on here that don't post at all or much.......
    I can think of at least a dozen guys alone(6 live there) then monger in Jamaica but never post for whatever reason..
    it's funny cause the guys that live in Jamaica that own resorts there are big time mongers but they try to keep it under wrap....
    though many being married or attached is probably the biggest reason for them not posting........
    but as long as guys can find there way to Jamaica on here without a problem this guy really doesn't care.......
    mi have setup websites before and know how much work goes into it........which is a ton......so mi hat is off to Don

Jamaica is up there, yes it it.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    yup da same........

Just a little patience right now is all I ask. I have a game plan and right now you are seeing only the messy middle. When it's all over we can all talk and think about things. Right now I am just trying to eliminate the confusion, seriously the home forum page is way too long from all the forums we have. Also I am just keeping you up to date on my progress, but more is coming.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just a little patience right now is all I ask. I have a game plan and right now you are seeing only the messy middle. When it's all over we can all talk and think about things. Right now I am just trying to eliminate the confusion, seriously the home forum page is way too long from all the forums we have. Also I am just keeping you up to date on my progress, but more is coming.
    Before we had multi pages? Was that lost in an upgrade?

Take your time, its looking better than it was.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Señor JDR of Medellin View Post
    Before we had multi pages? Was that lost in an upgrade?

Take your time, its looking better than it was.
    Yeah the multi pages addon was never upgraded by the original author.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I noticed there are many new threads popping up with no prefix, I was wondering if it was because you didn't apply it to all the forums. In the Philippines forum I believe it asks me to prefix it but in others I don't believe it does. I also believe I saw an option for no prefix.

Is this something that is still in the works?? along with the consolidations of some of the bigger forums like Colombia and DR??

Just curious.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hey dt now that you are one of us (filipino) what are the odds for us getting a hotel subforum for angeles city or a general one that could cover all of the philippines? i know you just added some hotel threads, i know psr loves to scout new hotels and some other members would probably find a subsection like that to be pretty convenient. so just curious if that could be done.

right now its with all the transportation threads and other stuff like maps, general info, etc.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diaz View Post
    hey dt now that you are one of us (filipino) what are the odds for us getting a hotel subforum for angeles city or a general one that could cover all of the philippines? i know you just added some hotel threads, i know psr loves to scout new hotels and some other members would probably find a subsection like that to be pretty convenient. so just curious if that could be done.

right now its with all the transportation threads and other stuff like maps, general info, etc.
    May I say an "Amen!" to this?
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 58,341 Times in 10,416 Posts

Some where in one of the TRs I've posted of Angeles is pictures of the place I stay now.Casa del Roque. A few guys here have seen it and while it certainly isn't the Penthouse or Central Park it meets the clean and (so far) bug free.

Price is 20,000p plus elecric...so far always under 2000p so it averages ouy to about 21,500p the month.

Found it right across the street from La Terasita when I walked out of there over the manager trying to charge me 50p for an extra towel....it's a long story. But I can assure you that I remind him every time I see him that I am in Angeles again...right across the street from his hotel and he will never seem,me in it again. All because of a 50p towel. Should have known he wouldn't delete the charge...he's Korean and their business practices always fall in their favor.(or so it seems)

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jacknback For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diaz View Post

I thought I gave you that power?

I can set up whatever you want

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I thought I gave you that power?

I can set up whatever you want
    you did but i cant make sub forums, not sure if i want that additional power though. i remember you did help make plenty of subforums for the section but dt did a consolidation of subforums after and he came up with a rule that if there were not 100 threads for that specific sub forum that it didnt deserve a subforum.

that was 2012 though. i chose to reply here because 4 years later we have sooo many philippines guys now. just thought it was appropriate to revisit the topic. that an dt did a bunch of really good hotel threads, i think if we followed that same path we could get a lot of use out of a hotel section.

my other reason was, im getting terrible service here at central park hotel. yet i know plenty of guys had stayed here but not sure if i ever saw a central park thread or a review thread for it.

just a couple thoughts but again thanks jimmy

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information