View Poll Results: Do you need an excuse to travel?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - I am single

65 80.25%
  • Yes - I am married

6 7.41%
  • Yes - I have a girlfriend and am pussywhipped

4 4.94%
  • No - I am married and still don't need one

6 7.41%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 07/2011 - excuses to go to DR

Thanks

07/2011 - excuses to go to DR

Hey i just got laid off so i decided to use some savings and hit up the DR for a week or so. Since i cant use the im going on business angle, what are other good excuses for traveling solo to DR. Im not a big enough golfer for that work, and the same goes for fishing and i have never scuba dived.

I do like sports gambling and cigars, so maybe ill just say im going for the beach, gambling and cigars? Do you think ill get weird looks or is that a pretty legit excuse?

How big of a reputation for sex does DR have? When i told people i was going to thailand i got a lot of jokes and is always akward to downplay that and keep a front. do you get that from DR? or do people lump it in with the other carribean countries like lets say i picked st. maarten instead i know people would be thinking awesome beach first.

Thanks guys

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foxracing For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 887 Posts

Re: excuses to go to DR

Quote Originally Posted by foxracing View Post
    Hey i just got laid off so i decided to use some savings and hit up the DR for a week or so. Since i cant use the im going on business angle, what are other good excuses for traveling solo to DR. Im not a big enough golfer for that work, and the same goes for fishing and i have never scuba dived.

I do like sports gambling and cigars, so maybe ill just say im going for the beach, gambling and cigars? Do you think ill get weird looks or is that a pretty legit excuse?

How big of a reputation for sex does DR have? When i told people i was going to thailand i got a lot of jokes and is always akward to downplay that and keep a front. do you get that from DR? or do people lump it in with the other carribean countries like lets say i picked st. maarten instead i know people would be thinking awesome beach first.

Thanks guys

Unless you need an excuse to tell the wifey or girlfriend, no excuses necessary! You just go and have a good time. There's no need to explain yourself. If they should ask, just say you needed to get away and just chose the DR. If they give you funny looks, oh well. Don't entertain them, just play like you don't know what they're talking about and just that you're there to get some R&R. Just my opinion.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to daddy999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

What daddy said!! Why do you need an excuse? You left that out of the story.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Agreed but I understand what he means in a way. My co workers always ask where I'm going when I'm off for a period like a week. I always say dr but I have family there so they assume I'm going to see family.

Me personally if I didn't have fam id say I was heading down to florida or somewhere else. But the r and r works just as well if u say your going to a place like punta cana at an all inclusive or something like that.

There is sight seeing to do but people will probably ask to see pics and stuff

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I feel weird telling people im going solo on vacation, let alone if they know it is a known mongering destination. Thats all. I feel akward when i say, im going to be gone for a week in the DR. Then they say what for?, or they will ask with who? and i feel a little strange saying myself. O well i probably should just think DGAF (dont give a f***)

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foxracing For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    Agreed but I understand what he means in a way. My co workers always ask where I'm going when I'm off for a period like a week. I always say dr but I have family there so they assume I'm going to see family.

Me personally if I didn't have fam id say I was heading down to florida or somewhere else. But the r and r works just as well if u say your going to a place like punta cana at an all inclusive or something like that.

Whoa just reread that first post. He got laid off...so I'm with gdogg why do u need an excuse???

Hell isn't getting laid off an excuse in and of itself?? You want to get away and relax. You feel stressed and you wanted to kick back in a tropical place with nice beaches.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 887 Posts

Whoa just reread that first post. He got laid off...so I'm with gdogg why do u need an excuse???
    Exactly.

Now if you feel compelled to tell them, just say you're going to Punta Cana or Caberete. Don't worry about them. You do you! You won't regret making this trip unless you run into some real bad luck.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daddy999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

This last trip I told everyone Florida. The only reason is how often I've been there the last year or so. Last time my boss decided to tell everyone and joke shit it. Even in front of my employees. This tends to get awkward because many of them would never dream of traveling out of the country let alone how expensive they think it is. Personally I find it cheaper and definitely more fun than a NA vacation.

F*** my boss. LOL

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

okay i guess im good. I remember when i told people about thailand and their reactions and comments (maybe in good nature) were thinking about the girls. But i guess Thailand is a completely different beast

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foxracing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,553 Times in 1,889 Posts

I feel weird telling people im going solo on vacation, let alone if they know it is a known mongering destination. Thats all. I feel akward when i say, im going to be gone for a week in the DR. Then they say what for?, or they will ask with who? and i feel a little strange saying myself. O well i probably should just think DGAF (dont give a f***)

Your a lot nicer than I am. I would say "How much are you putting in on this trip?". Then mind your business. lol. I've been on at least two vacations a year for the last 11 years and have gone with others maybe three times. I prefer to vacation alone. When people ask me I say "Because I can do whatever I want on don't get dragged into doing some lame tourist crap I don't want to do". I also go to the movies alone. Are you single? Makes it even better to travel alone.
    "The Royal Penis is Clean Your Majesty"

"No cushion for the pushin, no peso for the queso"

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to princepointe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's why I asked. None of that was mentioned.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The less people know, the better off you are... Nothing good can come of discussing anything with Co Workers...
    Tell them NOTHING...
    Couples who have inter office romances say NOTHING.
    Why are YOU under any obligation to tell people where you are spending your "single vacation" 1500 miles away ??

Just tell them "club Med", if they even still exist. and nothing more.
    F ** them... Co Workers are the Nosiest mother Effers ... tell them nothing...

25. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm single and ALL of my trips have been solo. I guess I started going before its reputation got exaggerated, but you seem to be worrying too much about nothing. Would you feel this way about going to Jamaica? Everyone seems to know about Hedonism, but they don't assume that's why everyone is going.

If you feel you have to tell anyone anything, tell them you're meeting friends there.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    AND jealous!! Especially the tied down/stuck at home ones. I had cool ones who lived vicariously through me and loved the stories and pics. I guess I was lucky that way. I thought I was gonna have to cancel a trip because all the vacation slots were taken. My supervisor manipulated it so I could go. I think he liked the morale I brought to my particular team when I came back.
    Last edited by gdogg; 07-08-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: sp

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The less people know, the better off you are... Nothing good can come of discussing anything with Co Workers...
    Tell them NOTHING...
    Couples who have inter office romances say NOTHING.
    Why are YOU under any obligation to tell people where you are spending your "single vacation" 1500 miles away ??

Just tell them "club Med", if they even still exist. and nothing more.
    Bravo!!!!!! I couldn't agree more. Bunch of old wash women most of the time!

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iriemon70 View Post
    Bravo!!!!!! I couldn't agree more. Bunch of old wash women most of the time!
    Yes,
    Its come up in conversation here before... so its been discussed at length..

One member here says he took it so far as to even LIE about WHERE he was going.
    How are they gonna know ? and when you come back, just make up some story, like you never left you hotel area..

I used to bring in brochures & magazines about scuba diving and tours etc, and leave them scattered on my desk, cause you know the nosey fuckers will look... Even go so far as to CIRCLE stuff
    If there is a stack of stuff printed out about sightseeing places etc.. they will believe it.... but if you tell them the DR north coast, and say nothing else , they will wonder..o its better to say nothing about the DR at all.
    Its not good for you career to be labeled as a MONGER...

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes,
    Its come up in conversation here before... so its been discussed at length..

One member here says he took it so far as to even LIE about WHERE he was going.
    How are they gonna know ? and when you come back, just make up some story, like you never left you hotel area..

I used to bring in brochures & magazines about scuba diving and tours etc, and leave them scattered on my desk, cause you know the nosey fuckers will look... Even go so far as to CIRCLE stuff
    If there is a stack of stuff printed out about sightseeing places etc.. they will believe it.... but if you tell them the DR north coast, and say nothing else , they will wonder..o its better to say nothing about the DR at all.
    Its not good for you career to be labeled as a MONGER...
    Oh...you are devious. I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

I go to DR because the flight is cheap, the hotel is cheap, food & booze is cheap, there are beautiful beaches every 10minutes, and it is always about 90degrees.

What do you do when you are there? i lay on the beach and drink presidentes, and at night i go to the bars/restaurants and unwind.

Thats pretty much the truth no excuse or need to lie! you just leave out the orgies with cheap hookers part

if you have a wife/girlfriend that's a different story.... Acceptable excuses may include are deep sea fishing, surfing, golf, or business. I dont see how you can tell your girlfriend/wife you are going anywhere that might interest them alone. You have to invent friends.

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

A single man needs no excuses to go anywhere, alone or with someone.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    A single man needs no excuses to go anywhere, alone or with someone.
    nor does a married man.........if they set the ground rules before the wedding bells
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

41. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information