Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon IPhone ?

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

Verizon IPhone ?

I am upgrading my Verizon IPhone 4 this week to the IPhone 5 does anyone know if I can get any of the phone company's like Orange ect...to unlock my old IPhone 4 for use in the DR since they take no sims?
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Re: Verizon IPhone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skynyrd View Post
    I am upgrading my Verizon IPhone 4 this week to the IPhone 5 does anyone know if I can get any of the phone company's like Orange ect...to unlock my old IPhone 4 for use in the DR since they take no sims?
    I thought Verizon will unlock an Iphone, once you had it for a period of time. Then you would simply have to buy a SIM in the DR.

Now there was always a problem with the Iphone 4, if you ever updated the OS. The unlock code does not always work, if you updated the OS.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Skynyrd - I think you are S.O.L. with your Verizon phone. Orange and Claro both uses sims on their network.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davemaryland View Post
    Skynyrd - I think you are S.O.L. with your Verizon phone. Orange and Claro both uses sims on their network.
    That's not exactly true.
    Claro will reprogram some old Verizon phones, and they can be used without sims.
    Not sure if it can be done with an iPhone 4.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    I thought Verizon will unlock an Iphone, once you had it for a period of time. Then you would simply have to buy a SIM in the DR.

Now there was always a problem with the Iphone 4, if you ever updated the OS. The unlock code does not always work, if you updated the OS.
    There is nothing to unlock on an iphone4. It's up to your new carrier whether or not they can/will reprogram the PRL's and add the phone to the network.

On an iPhone 4s, Verizon will unlock the sim for international use if your account is in good standing, and you have owned the phone for 60 days (I think...dont quote me on the time period).
    But it's a pretty simple process..just call.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    That's not exactly true.
    Claro will reprogram some old Verizon phones, and they can be used without sims.
    Not sure if it can be done with an iPhone 4.
    Well I guess there's only one way to find out
    my contract renewal is up on Oct 25 so I'm going down to Verizon to pickup the IPhone 5 at the discounted rate then and take the 4 over in Jan and give it a try.
    from what I understand The 5 has even a better camera so clearer Titties

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is nothing to unlock on an iphone4. It's up to your new carrier whether or not they can/will reprogram the PRL's and add the phone to the network.

On an iPhone 4s, Verizon will unlock the sim for international use if your account is in good standing, and you have owned the phone for 60 days (I think...dont quote me on the time period).
    But it's a pretty simple process..just call.
    Wait, I have to take it in to Verizon and ask Them to unlock it for international use first?
    ive had it 2 years.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wait, I have to take it in to Verizon and ask Them to unlock it for international use first?
    ive had it 2 years.
    iPhone 4 no sim slot, no unlock. Take it down and try it with Claro.
    iPhone 4s call Verizon to have sim slot unlocked for international use.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

iPhone 4 no sim slot, no unlock. Take it down and try it with Claro.
    iPhone 4s call Verizon to have sim slot unlocked for international use.
    Are you sure?? Verizon is CDMA, my verizon phone works on the south coast, but on the North Coast (as of January) it never worked and had no signal. Claro and orange as far as I knew it was GSM

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I checked one place and they told me they could unlock and re-program a Verizon phone, without sim slot, and it would work with Claro. I have not tested this yet.
    Enjoy it while you can.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    I checked one place and they told me they could unlock and re-program a Verizon phone, without sim slot, and it would work with Claro. I have not tested this yet.

Exactly..
    I have a few wingmen who have old verizon phones activated on Claro.
    In fact my first few DR phones were hand me down Verizon phones from wingmen.

Orange is supposed to be only GSM.
    Claro is both GSM, and CDMA. This is how you are able to roam (and get raped) using your Verizon phone while in the DR.

If you have an iPhone 4s from Verizon..you have a phone that can do both CDMA, and GSM.
    Verizon will unlock the GSM side (sim unlock) if you tell them that you want to use another carriers sim outside of the US.
    You are free to use Claro, Orange, Viva...whoever..
    The programming they have in the phone will not allow you to also use GSM while in the US.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Exactly..
    I have a few wingmen who have old verizon phones activated on Claro.
    In fact my first few DR phones were hand me down Verizon phones from wingmen.

Orange is supposed to be only GSM.
    Claro is both GSM, and CDMA. This is how you are able to roam (and get raped) using your Verizon phone while in the DR.

If you have an iPhone 4s from Verizon..you have a phone that can do both CDMA, and GSM.
    Verizon will unlock the GSM side (sim unlock) if you tell them that you want to use another carriers sim outside of the US.
    You are free to use Claro, Orange, Viva...whoever..
    The programming they have in the phone will not allow you to also use GSM while in the US.
    This is news to me... cuz in Europe, I was told by 2 diff Orange Stores, point blank that the Iphone 4s from Verizon could NOT be used on the Orange Network, at all.
    and Orange there, is exactly the Same ORANGE GSM Network , as in the DR, same Logo, same stores , identical ... The Iphone 3gs, obviously Does work on the GSM network.
    interesting..

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Damn y'all confusing a old southern boy
    I got a plain old IPhone 4 lol will it work?

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 170 Posts

Damn y'all confusing a old southern boy
    I got a plain old IPhone 4 lol will it work?
    Here it is... plain and simple....

a verizon (or sprint) iphone 4 (not 4s) has no sim chip slot..... therefore NO, it cannot be used on orange/claro/viva.

conversly..... a verizon (or sprint) iphone 4S or iphone 5 DOES have sim chip slot and will work IF/WHEN unlocked. The best way to unlock them is to simply call your provider (verizon/sprint) and ask them to unlock the sim chip slot for use with other carriers outside of the US. They will do this for you as long as your account is more than 60 days old and in good standing (no past due bills, etc).

I know this for a fact because I have a sprint iphone 4S that uses sprint in the US, and when I land in the DR I simply pop my claro chip in and it is a claro phone.

for the more tech advanced....
    verizon/sprint is CDMA technology (no sim chip), however the newer iphones have a sim slot also... for this exact reason...

AT&T is GSM technology (sim chip) (which is what the rest of the world uses as well). They are much more reluctant to unlock the phone for their customers....

Hope this helps....

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JesseJames For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post

a verizon (or sprint) iphone 4 (not 4s) has no sim chip slot..... therefore NO, it cannot be used on orange/claro/viva.

conversly..... a verizon (or sprint) iphone 4S or iphone 5 DOES have sim chip slot and will work IF/WHEN unlocked. The best way to unlock them is to simply call your provider (verizon/sprint) and ask them to unlock the sim chip slot for use with other carriers outside of the US. They will do this for you as long as your account is more than 60 days old and in good standing (no past due bills, etc).

I know this for a fact because I have a sprint iphone 4S that uses sprint in the US, and when I land in the DR I simply pop my claro chip in and it is a claro phone.

verizon/sprint is CDMA technology (no sim chip), however the newer iphones have a sim slot also... for this exact reason...

AT&T is GSM technology (sim chip) (which is what the rest of the world uses as well). They are much more reluctant to unlock the phone for their customers....

Hope this helps....
    Damn but thanks

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,100 Times in 549 Posts

Damn but thanks

You always have the option to sell or trade your I phone on ebay and replace it with a unlocked gsm version . Just a thought ...
    You can't shake a hooker tree and expect housewives to fall out !!!!!

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gulfmariner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Hope this helps....
    I think all 4g phones which is basically any phone that came out within the past year has a sim card if I am not mistaken from Verizon, I wonder if those phones if unlocked will work down there.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 1,113 Posts

I thought the iPhone 5 from Verizon comes unlocked........Why not just switch out Sims for your 5 when you arrive?

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kitie carson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Hope this helps....
    Yes, and No....
    Orange is GSM,
    AT&T is also using the GSM system..

CLARO,, even though it has a SIM, and I have the Verizon Iphone 4s WITH sim, and yes it works FINE on Claro, the moment I land, with a Claro Sim or the Verizon Sim (and 1.99 / min roaming charges) .
    But Claro is NOT GSM service...

BUT it was stated is that the Verizon Iphone 4S can be Programmed to work on the ORANGE network (GSM). ?? .. which i never heard before..
    Can someone verify this..

Just cause your phone has a Sim Card, does NOT automatically make it compatible with GSM service..simply by unlocking it..
    GSM and CDMA are completely different systems

and when people says 3G and 4G... well thats just "generation" (by the way the "4g" foot print is not even complete yet eventhough the Market It heavily) , it has nothing to do with GSM VS CDMA
    the old TDMA was 2nd generation I believe , , and Analog was definitely the 1st Generation...

or did i read that incorrectly..

and yes I used to work in Wireless, but NOT the Tech end of it, back when GSM was BRAND NEW in the USA .. so its been a while, so i could be wrong.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I talked to the guys who do this for a living a while back. Like I posted before, they said a Verizon phone without a sim slot will work here with Claro only. It has to be unlocked and re-programed for Claro with a Claro number.

41. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information