Thread: Verizon IPhone ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 170 Posts

Re: Verizon IPhone ?

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Yes, and No....
    Orange is GSM,
    AT&T is also using the GSM system..

CLARO,, even though it has a SIM, and I have the Verizon Iphone 4s WITH sim, and yes it works FINE on Claro, the moment I land, with a Claro Sim or the Verizon Sim (and 1.99 / min roaming charges) .
    But Claro is NOT GSM service...

BUT it was stated is that the Verizon Iphone 4S can be Programmed to work on the ORANGE network (GSM). ?? .. which i never heard before..
    Can someone verify this..

Just cause your phone has a Sim Card, does NOT automatically make it compatible with GSM service..simply by unlocking it..
    GSM and CDMA are completely different systems

and when people says 3G and 4G... well thats just "generation" (by the way the "4g" foot print is not even complete yet eventhough the Market It heavily) , it has nothing to do with GSM VS CDMA
    the old TDMA was 2nd generation I believe , , and Analog was definitely the 1st Generation...

or did i read that incorrectly..

and yes I used to work in Wireless, but NOT the Tech end of it, back when GSM was BRAND NEW in the USA .. so its been a while, so i could be wrong.
    you are comparing apples to oranges here (pun intended)..... sure a CDMA phone (such as verizon or sprint) will work here without doing anything..... the problem is you are still using your original company (verizon or sprint)..... they have contracts with the companies here to allow that.... however, you will pay $1.99US per minute approximately. We are talking about using a phone with a LOCAL company such as viva/orange/claro.

Now.... those same phones one sprint/verizon which are CDMA.... well, some of them have sim chip slots. Those phones are considered world phone because they have the ability to talk to both types of networks (cdma AND gsm) however you only can use one or the other at the time. Those phone allow you to put in a sim chip from any company in another country and use it as if it were a local phone.

the post I placed above this one in the pure and simple truth. I understand what you are saying here.... but it is just complicating things further.... easier to keep in simple.

For Robert....
    You are talking about flashing the firmware programming on the phone. Yes, that is possible IN SOME CASES ON SOME PHONES.... however, it is risky as it is easy to "brick" a phone which refers to the software not loading correctly rendering the phone forever unable to be used on any company. Additionally, it will void any and all warranties from any phone manufacturer or 3rd party warranty service. simply put, it is possible.... but certainly not recommended. flashing the firmware is also NOT the same as jailbreaking/unlocking/rooting a phone which is all fairly simple.

hope this helps....

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JesseJames For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kitie carson View Post
    I thought the iPhone 5 from Verizon comes unlocked........Why not just switch out Sims for your 5 when you arrive?
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ked-iphone-5/#!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to natmatt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post

AT&T is GSM technology (sim chip) (which is what the rest of the world uses as well). They are much more reluctant to unlock the phone for their customers....

Hope this helps....
    They actually have been unlocking iphones for a few months now. A family member of mine gave me their iP4 after getting a 5. AT&T will allow you to unlock a phone once the contract for that phone is up (normally 24 months). Since that much time had passed since they had the 4, we were able to get it unlocked officially through AT&T and am using it on T-Mobile's network.

More info here.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Yes, and No....
    Orange is GSM,
    AT&T is also using the GSM system..

CLARO,, even though it has a SIM, and I have the Verizon Iphone 4s WITH sim, and yes it works FINE on Claro, the moment I land, with a Claro Sim or the Verizon Sim (and 1.99 / min roaming charges) .
    But Claro is NOT GSM service...

BUT it was stated is that the Verizon Iphone 4S can be Programmed to work on the ORANGE network (GSM). ?? .. which i never heard before..
    Can someone verify this..

Just cause your phone has a Sim Card, does NOT automatically make it compatible with GSM service..simply by unlocking it..
    GSM and CDMA are completely different systems

and when people says 3G and 4G... well thats just "generation" (by the way the "4g" foot print is not even complete yet eventhough the Market It heavily) , it has nothing to do with GSM VS CDMA
    the old TDMA was 2nd generation I believe , , and Analog was definitely the 1st Generation...

or did i read that incorrectly..

and yes I used to work in Wireless, but NOT the Tech end of it, back when GSM was BRAND NEW in the USA .. so its been a while, so i could be wrong.
    Claro is BOTH GSM, and CDMA.

ATT, T-mobile (GSM) phones that are unlocked can be used on Claro by just popping in the SIM.
    Some Verizon and Sprint (CDMA) phones can be programmed to work on Claro only. This programming is not a firmware flash or anything like that. Most times its a PRL (Preferred Roaming List) update.

Yes your Verizon Iphone 4S will work on both Orange and Claro, as long as the SIM slot has been unlocked.
    I have both services, and a Verizon Iphone 4S. I can swap at will.

As a side note. Orange will now let you buy prepaid internet. Previously..it was only for Blackberrys.
    I still prefer Claro. seems faster to me.

Works awesome with Skype and Google Voice. I can receive and make US phone calls on my DR phone, but the other party thinks I am using my regular US phone, and has no idea where I am.
    I only pay for the outgoing call to the US at 2.3 cents per minute, (or $2.99 per month).

Actually...the only reason I have to pay at all..is because I don't want to carry my US phone around. (I walk around only with the DR phone most times).
    I also think the Skype connection is a little better than Talkatone/Google Voice.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    As a side note. Orange will now let you buy prepaid internet. Previously..it was only for Blackberrys.
    I still prefer Claro. seems faster to me.
    Good news. Now I can use many of the apps that require an internet connection without having to find a WIFI spot.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information