Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big business in sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Re: Big business in sosua

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Didn't Wilfried once have a similar plan to buy a hotel?
    Yes but all his investors never came up with any money.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seņor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood View Post
    that is what I tried to tell him. Gringos are not going to sit in a theater for 2-4 hours watching a movie. Now we might do it once a week, the way Rockys does it . But there is no way to sustain a commercial theater off the gringo market.

yes locals need a theater but will they spend enough each day to pay for expenses. I doubt it.

Even in the USA, a solid consumer economy, most theaters rely totally on concessions to make a profit. So now he has to count on Dominicans both coming every day and then buying food.

In rio de janeiro the theaters cater to upper middle class locals. There has to be a large population in that category. We all know sosua is not in that category.

i was not trying to burst his bubble but sometimes guys think they can just come down here and takeover.

Rick offers a free movie twice a week. I have watched maybe two in my weeks down there. Usually, most of the people watching are ex-pats. I can go to the movies anytime, but banging chicas only comes when I'm on vacation!

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

So here's a question for Billy... what happened to the theater in Puerto Plata? Long gone?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
    Actually, our erstwhile governor here in Massachusetts started his company Bain Capital back in the '80s with other people's money too (in addition to his daddy's), i.e., some rich dudes in Miami who were associated with the death squads in El Salvador. http://www.democracynow.org/2012/8/1..._bain_launched
    He's now running for President here. Heard of that dude called Mitt Romney? But I don't want to get political here....oops, maybe I just did
    YEs, of course, all Rich People are EVIL... no ? especcially if they use other peoples Money..

So, when I want to buy a house, or even a New Car for that matter, I go to a bank and they LEND me ..... wait for it ..... "OTHER peoples money" ... so I guess I am Evil too..

damnnnn..

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    YEs, of course, all Rich People are EVIL... no ? especcially if they use other peoples Money..

So, when I want to buy a house, or even a New Car for that matter, I go to a bank and they LEND me ..... wait for it ..... "OTHER peoples money" ... so I guess I am Evil too..

damnnnn..

The bank will come after you to pay it back. These other guys, not so much.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

damnnnn..
    Well, no, I didn't say that all rich people are evil. However, the guys who carried out the death squads were evil. Vulture capitalists such as Romney, who consort with and take investment funds from such evil guys, are themselves a different kind of evil.

But no, people who borrow money for a home are not evil, nor are the banks evil for lending to them. They are both in a secured transaction (as Kevy points out) for which the bank is the party with the far superior bargaining position - the upper hand, if you will - and issuing mortgages is how they make money off you. But it can be a fair and honest agreement, and neither party would be "evil" just because they lend or borrow. However, as the banks have lent in this manner to make a profit (and they do), I would not see anything especially virtuous in their lending,as you seem to suggest, any more than I would call them evil per se when they lend in the traditional way. (That doesn't mean that the big banks, as they exist today, haven't in fact become basically evil institutions at their very core, but that is a different topic, and that's not what I said or meant to imply here at all.)

So no, that's not what I said. I never said or intended to imply that any and all borrowing or lending, especially through secured transactions such as mortgages, is evil, or that all rich people are evil. I have some rather rich people in my own family in fact, and I don't consider them evil.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, no, I didn't say that all rich people are evil. However, the guys who carried out the death squads were evil. Vulture capitalists such as Romney, who consort with and take investment funds from such evil guys, are themselves a different kind of evil.

But no, people who borrow money for a home are not evil, nor are the banks evil for lending to them. They are both in a secured transaction (as Kevy points out) for which the bank is the party with the far superior bargaining position - the upper hand, if you will - and issuing mortgages is how they make money off you. But it can be a fair and honest agreement, and neither party would be "evil" just because they lend or borrow. However, as the banks have lent in this manner to make a profit (and they do), I would not see anything especially virtuous in their lending,as you seem to suggest, any more than I would call them evil per se when they lend in the traditional way. (That doesn't mean that the big banks, as they exist today, haven't in fact become basically evil institutions at their very core, but that is a different topic, and that's not what I said or meant to imply here at all.)

So no, that's not what I said. I never said or intended to imply that any and all borrowing or lending, especially through secured transactions such as mortgages, is evil, or that all rich people are evil. I have some rather rich people in my own family in fact, and I don't consider them evil.

This shit better get shut down quick!!

God be damned if someone make money and say that they are about Americans making there own money. And people should work for there money. People get upset when other people wonder about "99 weeks of unemployment".

So Obama believes in redistribution.....

Those that worked to make their money, should hand it over to those lazy mf'ers that we call Democrats, and we should NEVER ask why they aren't working (even thought they can't pass a drug test).

The "distribution of wealth" leader....

OK. Lead by example. Take that 6 Million dollars you made off the book deal, that you invested for your daughters future, and redistribute that! Then, you can tell me what I should do, with my money, that I earn for my children!!!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'd never consider "rich" family evil either, but this shit just isn't right.

So your family had big money in banking. OK. Thats cool. But don't play it off like the other players in the market are evil for making money.

The Goverment (aka taxpayers) bailed out all the mortgage company's that raked in huge profits off of the high interest loans/high risk loans they gave to everyone. Then when the people that don't pay their bills didn't pay their mortgage, the mortgage companies whined about going bankrupt..........

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post

God be damned if someone make money and say that they are about Americans making there own money. And people should work for there money. People get upset when other people wonder about "99 weeks of unemployment".

Those that worked to make their money, should hand it over to those lazy mf'ers that we call Democrats, and we should NEVER ask why they aren't working (even thought they can't pass a drug test).

OK. Lead by example. Take that 6 Million dollars you made off the book deal, that you invested for your daughters future, and redistribute that! Then, you can tell me what I should do, with my money, that I earn for my children!!!
    Don't kid yourself, motherfuckers like Romney are just as big on the redistribution of wealth - they're just redistributing it upwards to those who are flush rather than down to those who are struggling.

But the truth is - you can't make a run at the white house anymore unless you sell yourself out to one group or another, we can argue all day long over which group/s holding the puppet strings is better for us, but none of them likely gives a fuck.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Don't kid yourself, motherfuckers like Romney are just as big on the redistribution of wealth - they're just redistributing it upwards to those who are flush rather than down to those who are struggling.

But the truth is - you can't make a run at the white house anymore unless you sell yourself out to one group or another, we can argue all day long over which group/s holding the puppet strings is better for us, but none of them likely gives a fuck.
    Then what type of stupid fucker running for office would try and appeal to the working crowd?

Only so many people worked and earned their family's fortune.....

But how many have never worked, and get a check every month, and if you have another kid, your check goes up???????

That's why I stated in my first sentence, this needs to get shut down.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post

You're right. But as for who controls them, it's pretty clear that both parties are controlled by Wall Street. Look at a few examples of highly placed Goldman Sachs guys alone: Rubin (Clinton), Paulson (Bush), Geitner, Summers (Obama). But it's not just Wall Street financiers. Both parties are controlled by the big banks, big oil, the military-industrial complex, and big business in general. This year, there is a choice between a Wall Street Stuck Up, and a Wall Street Suck Up. Both will answer the needs of the tax-avoiding, corporate welfare queen, big banks and big businesses first, and pay lip service to the rest of us. Same old, same old.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

I'd never consider "rich" family evil either, but this shit just isn't right.

So your family had big money in banking. OK. Thats cool. But don't play it off like the other players in the market are evil for making money.

The Goverment (aka taxpayers) bailed out all the mortgage company's that raked in huge profits off of the high interest loans/high risk loans they gave to everyone. Then when the people that don't pay their bills didn't pay their mortgage, the mortgage companies whined about going bankrupt..........
    Problem with that theory is that a great many people with long histories of paying their bills on time were all of a sudden out of work with no prospects they couldn't pay their mortgages either. A whole lot of non "sub prime" mortgages got foreclosed since 2007. I just can't get "W' s" face out of my head in front of the cameras in 2006 telling everyone "No, the economy's doing just fine....". Yeah, the cookies are still in the jar, they're just invisible now.

I like the way that Flip Romney who never did a day's work in his life stood there with the sikver spoon still sticking outta his ass, disparaging the Americans who have worked at or near minimum wage jobs all their lives yet can't quite stay above poverty in this uneven World but they stay on the treadmill anyway working as busboys and waitresses and janitors and laborers and agricultural workers and whatever else they can do to try to make it against a stacked deck.

Many of us are successful because we're good at what we do and we've spent decades working hard at it and developing our skills and somewhere along the line we have to realize that in spite of the work we put in to ADD to our success, we've got to be thankful for the breaks we've gotten along the way. It's up to the horse to win the race but it's not up to the horse whether or not he ever gets the chance to run.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Great article about Romney in the Rolling Stone....for those who buy into this "job creator" nonsense and the myth that crony capitalists like Romney got what they have through good old-fashioned honest work, rather than through assbackwards rules and laws (that they made) which enabled them to siphon off an unfair share of our nation's production through bitch-ass takeovers and shakedowns..http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...pital-20120829

But I'm done....before this fucker gets shut down.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    reliving the 70's

Flashback time.

When I came to DC for my job interview I called a Chick that I'd met in Denver that Summer as she was the only person I knew in town (1980). She picked me up at my hotel and took me to the Uptown Theater to see Guccione's "Caligula". After the 1st two hours I remember getting a little worried about how much of that shit on the screen she'd want me to actually do after the movie.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Damnnnn, Why are you so anrgy with president Obama? I can kinda understand rich people hating him, and I'm not talking about going to DR 4-5 times a year rich, really rich.

The only lazy mf'ers are Democrats???
    Last edited by DMV; 10-26-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information