View Poll Results: Who did you vote for (Not public)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

20 51.28%
  • Romnney

10 25.64%
  • I am not a US Citizen

5 12.82%
  • I am not Voting

3 7.69%
  • I am not saying

1 2.56%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the usa election results. please keep in mind we dont tolerate political debates

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Re: the usa election results. please keep in mind we dont tolerate political debates

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Republicans lost it from losing the hispanic and women vote. If they cant figure out how to get those 2 back next election they will lose again...

the countrys changing demographics is happening fast. latinos are only getting bigger and bigger power.
    *** Obama's demographic edge: Yes, the auto bailout mattered in Ohio. Sure, Hurricane Sandy helped the president. And, yes, the economy was the No. 1 issue. But make no mistake: What happened last night was a demographic time bomb that had been ticking and that blew up in GOP faces. As the Obama campaign had assumed more than a year ago, the white portion of the electorate dropped to 72%, and the president won just 39% of that vote. But he carried a whopping 93% of black voters (representing 13% of the electorate), 71% of Latinos (representing 10%), and also 73% of Asians (3%). What’s more, despite all the predictions that youth turnout would be down, voters 18-29 made up 19% of last night’s voting population -- up from 18% four years ago -- and President Obama took 60% from that group. The trend also played out in the key battleground states: The president won about 70% of the Latino vote in Colorado and Nevada, and he won 60% of it in Florida (a high number given the state’s large GOP-leaning Cuban-American population). On Monday, we wrote that demography could determine destiny. And that’s exactly what happened. While the campaign’s turnout operation deserves all the credit for getting these voters to the polls, the most significant event of this presidential contest might very well have been the 2010 census.

*** And the GOP’s demographic dilemma: Obama’s demographic edge creates this dilemma for the Republican Party: It can no longer rely on white voters to win national elections anymore, especially in presidential cycles. Indeed, according to the exit poll, 89% of all votes Mitt Romney won last night came from whites (compared with 56% for Obama). So the Republicans are maximizing their share with white voters; they just aren’t getting the rest. And come 2016, the white portion of the electorate will probably drop another couple of points to 70%. Politico’s Martin puts it this way: “Battling a wheezing economy and a deeply motivated opposition, Obama still managed to retain much of his 2008 map because of the GOP’s deficiencies with the voters who are changing the political face of once conservative-leaning Virginia, Florida, Colorado and Nevada. Republicans face a crisis: the country is growing less white and their coalition has become more white in recent years. In 2004, George W. Bush won [about 40 percent] of Hispanics. Four years later, John McCain, the author of an immigration reform bill, took 31 percent of Hispanics. And this year, Romney captured only 27 percent of Hispanics.”

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: the usa election results. please keep in mind we dont tolerate political debates

Quote Originally Posted by knotty View Post
    ... he won 60% of it in Florida (a high number given the state’s large GOP-leaning Cuban-American population).
    That preference for the GOP is an older generation thing and fading fast, Young Cuban Americans vote much the same as other Latinos.

And you didn't mention that there will be 3 million new Puerto Rican voters at the next election. They are likely to strongly favor the Democratic Party.

Reagan said "Latinos are Republicans, they just don't know it yet". I guess he was about as good a pundit as he was an actor.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Problem for the Republican party is to appeal to this ever-changing national demographic you have to be a more moderate Republican but if you stray too far from the right in the hopes of appealing to them you might not even make it out of the primary. Romney ran as a rather moderate Repub but many Republican voters held their noses while voting for him in the primaries and did so mainly due to the lack of other serious choices available to them (Newt Gingrich lol).

Democrats running in their primaries don't have to kiss the asses of the crazies in their own party to get the nomination so they don't have go on record with things that will be held against them by moderate voters across the country in the National Elections.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    That preference for the GOP is an older generation thing and fading fast, Young Cuban Americans vote much the same as other Latinos.

And you didn't mention that there will be 3 million new Puerto Rican voters at the next election. They are likely to strongly favor the Democratic Party.

Reagan said "Latinos are Republicans, they just don't know it yet". I guess he was about as good a pundit as he was an actor.
    it was not me that was mentioning it. it was copied from msnbc. forgot to add the link as i usually do.
    http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2...phic-edge?lite

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,261 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    Smooth, you know I love you man, but I gotta laugh at all these pundits saying that Obama doesn't have a mandate.

The system is based on Electoral Votes. The man needed 270 and it looks like he's going to get 332. 332 Electoral Votes sure seems like a mandate to me. If you tell me he won by less than 300 (for example I had him at 290 max), then I can give credibility to that argument. But saying that, yeah he won, but he doesn't have a mandate because the popular vote is close is not a credible argument in my view.

In any case, the projections after California, Washington, and Oregon are done counting is that Obama will have around a 2% Popular Vote win. In 2004, Bush used the same popular vote margin and a much lesser EV margin to declare an "overwhelming mandate". The mandate talk is always intelligently used by the right wing. When they win, they have it. When they lose, the other guy doesn't have it. Unfortunately the Democrats haven't learned to adopt that language yet.
    Uncle Ruckus, if there was anyone who I felt would respond to my post, I figured it would be you! As I wrote, that was at roughly 11:30 pm on the west coast. More returns were still coming in. Obama led Romney by 600,000 vote out here in California, which made up the majority of his popular vote lead. It will be several more days until the final talley comes in but the numbers don't lie, we are divided as a nation politically.

The changing demographics of America will most likely keep it that way. Pat Buchanan wrote a column not too long ago pointing out that fact. The problem though is the entitlement mentality of so many people. More people today get some form of government assistance then ever before. And that all comes from the tax payer. I am curious though about the reaction to everyone getting a smaller take home pay come 2013. The Bush tax cuts will expire at the end of the year and we all go back to paying the tax rates when Clinton was in office. The idea that only those making $250K a year or more will pay more taxes is false. We ALL will pay more.

Love you to UR.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

What will the future be for these two in the GOP:

Gov. Christopher J. Christie... Didn't help Romney in the last days, but I give him big props. People needed help and you take any that will come your way.

Did that kill his chances of ever running for president or will he be a star in the "NEW GOP"

Michael Steele... Once the head of the RNC, helped the GOP retake the House, but was dismissed and replaced with Reince Priebus

He has remained steadfast to the GOP and will he also become a start in the "NEW GOP"
    I'm a Payer not a Player

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

This has run its course. Great discussion.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information