Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 11/2012 - Boca Chica Hotel Garant Nov 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: Boca Chica Hotel Garant Nov 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DRCowboy View Post
    Quick update:

First I wanted to thank Sr. Tranquillo his friend Ken & Carlos for several tours around Yayowville. It's great to get live intel on day one. Unfortunately have had a small bout of bad ice or food. Has to be that, it can't b the alcohol. Lost a day and 1/2 but should be back in action this evening. Plan to check out El Bayte disco. Tomorrow into the surf.

I'll do a full blown trip report when I get back. I'm having computer problems (internal security, not hotel Wi-fi or ISOC).

Attachment 61509
    Good to meet and hang a bit with you. It could be a bit hard to contact me the next couple of days, I went to a couple of pool parties on Sunday, one in the afternoon and one at night. Unfortunately I misplaced my phone somewhere along the way, and I am useless without it. So it may be difficult to contact me right now. Hope your stomach is better soon.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Good to meet and hang a bit with you. It could be a bit hard to contact me the next couple of days, I went to a couple of pool parties on Sunday, one in the afternoon and one at night. Unfortunately I misplaced my phone somewhere along the way, and I am useless without it. So it may be difficult to contact me right now. Hope your stomach is better soon.
    REPLACE that phone before Jan 16th !! I'd be lost without YOU !!! lol
    Helping the 3rd world economy, one chica at a time !!!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skynyrd View Post
    REPLACE that phone before Jan 16th !! I'd be lost without YOU !!! lol

You would be fine without me, no doubt, but the phone if I don't find it soon will be replaced, within the week, I am hoping I left it at one of the parties, and I can get it back, or maybe it fell out of my pocket in my car, will do a thorough search today. My major fear is that I put it on top of my car and drove off with it on top, I did that once before but realized it after about a block, and luckily it was still there. My numbers should be backed up this time, so I should have all my numbers except for the newer ones, the last three months or so, we shall see, how it works out.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,426 Times in 4,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    You would be fine without me, no doubt, but the phone if I don't find it soon will be replaced, within the week, I am hoping I left it at one of the parties, and I can get it back, or maybe it fell out of my pocket in my car, will do a thorough search today. My major fear is that I put it on top of my car and drove off with it on top, I did that once before but realized it after about a block, and luckily it was still there. My numbers should be backed up this time, so I should have all my numbers except for the newer ones, the last three months or so, we shall see, how it works out.
    Oh yea I'm not worried about getting around or finding things without you, after your excellent tour and introductions to everyone in Sept, Im verp comfortable there.. It would just not be a PARTY without YOU dancing around, you make it all SO MUCH FUNNNNN

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skynyrd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

DT, me and Dan stayed there in 2005... the BC trip from the NC down to BC for a couple of days... happy days with the girls and DT..

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike View Post
    DT, me and Dan stayed there in 2005... the BC trip from the NC down to BC for a couple of days... happy days with the girls and DT..
    I understand completely. I was here ten years ago in Santo Domingo. I had no idea mongering existed. I made a day trip out and drank some beers and got to know a waitress. I suggested that before I return to the USA we meet for a date. She cashed out the register, told her friend to cover for her, came around the bar and led me by the hand up the hill......
    Heh Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DRCowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And another Hotel Garant story. On day three I stopped down to the Colmado and grabbed a couple of beers. On my way in back into the hotel a friend walked in with me. I had met him the night before. I pulled a beer from my bag. I walked into the kitchen area. I assumed there would be an opener somewhere. There on the side of the cabinet was an opener. I opened my beer and all of a sudden from behind me he is swearing. I said what's wrong. He explains that he has been here for two weeks and has been opening his beers with a spoon. I told him been there done that.

Opener in the kitchen, and at the Colmado above the checkout girl are can openers for 45 pesos.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DRCowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quick update on Hotel Garant. The other day we had a power failure. Their Backup generator took over in approximately 5 seconds. My computer never lost signal (Wi-fi). Lights back on and TV reset in approximately another 5 seconds.

Directly below the breakfast area is their generator. It is 87 KW. Best comparison is the emergency generator for my father’s farm. Will/has run two freezers, two refrigerators, all the lights in house, barn and garage, TV, VCR, Dish, two stove elements (or one oven element) is 5 KW.

Breakfasts are 200 pesos. (1)Traditional – Eggs, plantains, salami w/ coffee. (2)American – ham & cheese omelet with toast. (3) Pancakes w/butter & syrup. (4) scrambled eggs with ham, cheese, peppers & onions. The reason I bring this up is on day #3, I ask if they could make me a fruit plate on the side. She said no problem, do I have the fruit. If while eating breakfast one of the “fruit sales girls” aka girl with basket on head stops I buy fruit for the next day. If not I pick some up in my travels. Options include bananas, mango, papaya, avocado, pineapple, melon (cantaloupe).

Laundry – There are washers and dryers in the corner of the office. I had never seen them doing anything other than towels and sheets. During Sr. Tranquillo’s mayoral inspections he asks me about that. I of course said that it’s the hotel’s laundry for towels & sheets. He then observed that they were washing pants. The next day when the boss was in he told me no problem they do laundry. I ask how much? Answer 20 pesos per piece. I have always avoided hotel laundries because they are traditionally expensive.

I prefer having a local do my laundry (I had help this trip). You haven’t lived until you have had your underwear washed, bleached, starched, ironed and folded for next to nothing.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DRCowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Booked again for early December 2013

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Booked again for early December 2013
    I will be back in january.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I stayed at the Garant the past 2 days. Rooms are $57 per night for a basic room, $67 per night for a superior room. The prices include tax and hotel prefers to be paid in cash. Hotel serves breakfast and that's it. I didn't try it so no comment. Two blocks from Duarte so the location is good.

The rooms are very basic with no amenities such as shampoo. Only one small bar of soap. However, the WIFI was good and they had a full size refrigerator in the room. Small old fashioned safe not big enough for a laptop but you can lock up your cash, passport and jewelry. The room had a nice flat screen TV and had plenty of channels. No phones in the room.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JoseTalapia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoseTalapia View Post
    I stayed at the Garant the past 2 days. Rooms are $57 per night for a basic room, $67 per night for a superior room. The prices include tax and hotel prefers to be paid in cash. Hotel serves breakfast and that's it. I didn't try it so no comment. Two blocks from Duarte so the location is good.

The rooms are very basic with no amenities such as shampoo. Only one small bar of soap. However, the WIFI was good and they had a full size refrigerator in the room. Small old fashioned safe not big enough for a laptop but you can lock up your cash, passport and jewelry. The room had a nice flat screen TV and had plenty of channels. No phones in the room.
    Its a nice enough hotel.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    Its a nice enough hotel.
    I agree - it's secure and clean. Quiet at night and the breakfast is cheap and good. There's parking for your car - limited but it's there.

You can walk right down to the action at Duarte in 2 mins.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

I agree - it's secure and clean. Quiet at night and the breakfast is cheap and good. There's parking for your car - limited but it's there.

You can walk right down to the action at Duarte in 2 mins.
    To the right was an empanada Truck charging 15 pesos an item and around the corner is Freds Shack, awesome.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

We had breakfast here a few days. Its 250 including coffee.

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    To the right was an empanada Truck charging 15 pesos an item and around the corner is Freds Shack, awesome.
    idd I mentioned they did my laundry for free as well?

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Who did? The Hotel? If so, why?

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Who did? The Hotel? If so, why?
    yep the girls who who cleaned my room did my laundry as well... Of course it was just a few shirts and The occasional underwear.... But still a nice gesture.

I did tip a few peso's at breakfast but ontging major.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Mike ... the way you seguéd from the empanada truck to the laundry confused me ... why would anyone get their laundry done at an empanada truck?

I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Mike ... the way you seguéd from the empanada truck to the laundry confused me ... why would anyone get their laundry done at an empanada truck?

We were talking about low cost or no cost options.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information