Thread: Has this happened to you?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 Times in 652 Posts

Has this happened to you?

I got robbed........by Progreso Bank. A month ago I went through the entire menu at the ATM and at the end it said, "Cannot complete this transaction." I assumed it was out of money. I came back 15 minutes later and a guy was getting money so I put in my card, went through the menu and got my 10,000pesos. 3 days later I noticed there were 2 charges to my checking account on that day for the same amount, $258.49. So I go to Progreso with the receipt and explain what happened. They said I had to initiate the resolution with my bank. So I contact my US bank and explain the whole thing and the receipt details. They say it may take 10 days. So after like 8 days there is a "provisional credit" for the same amount. I figure all's fine. Then yesterday I get a "provisional credit reversal" and they charge my account for the $258.49.

So I don't know what happened. I'm waiting for a reply from my US bank but I can guess that someone at Progreso figured out that some gringo had been charged 10,000pesos but the money wasn't dispensed by the ATM machine so he corrects the error by dispensing the 10,000pesos into his pocket and tells the gringo's bank that the gringo got his money both times at the ATM machine.

When I first talked to Progreso about it he said that happens sometimes that there is an interruption in the phone connection at exactly the right moment. The US bank receives the request for money and sends approval back but the interruption occurs and the approval is not received by Progreso so the ATM says sorry. But as far as Schwab is concerned request and approval have been accomplished.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

Re: Has this happened to you?

This happened to me in MDE but I bank with Chase and they were able to reverse the transaction and credit my account.

ATM problems in other countries is the main reason I do not use them. My wingman never has issues when he goes to Citibank and I find that Citibank is good all over the world.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I had that happen at Banco Santa Cruz but I have my accounts there. When they audited the ATM they credited my account.
    Enjoy it while you can.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

i have never had a problem but i use my thai bank atm card when in thailand and usually only use cash everywhere else
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I'd go back to your US Bank again.

Every single transaction on ATH's here in the country are recorded, and they can review the tapes to see you when you did the transaction.

They see if you got your money or not.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    I got robbed........by Progreso Bank.

So I don't know what happened. I'm waiting for a reply from my US bank but I can guess that someone at Progreso figured out that some gringo had been charged 10,000pesos but the money wasn't dispensed by the ATM machine so he corrects the error by dispensing the 10,000pesos into his pocket and tells the gringo's bank that the gringo got his money both times at the ATM machine.
    This happens all the time, both in the US and abroad. The informal term for it is "ghost transaction" and it happens when there's an interruption in communication between the two banks for any reason. Neither bank knows the status of the request, so the money is debited from the account until it gets sorted out between the two banks. I doubt that anyone in Progreso stole your money, but your bank has to keep the money pending while the thing is figured out. You should call your bank again and complain to them. There's nothing that anyone at Banco del Progreso will do to help you. Keep fighting your bank. If you can't get it worked out, keep escalating it. There's a point where a supervisor will have to give you forms to fill out with the details of the transaction and open up a formal investigation. Once you return those forms, it's almost guaranteed you'll get your money back. 99% of the time it's worked out before it gets to that point.

12. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I dont know about how "ghost transactions" on these Double Transaction ATMS withdrawals are resolved Uncle R ...
    But I DO know is Banks Today are mother fuckers and unless you show them you mean business they will just keep debiting you back til YOU stop pursuing it.. Not sure how it is with ATM withdrawals , but Ive seen with Debit cards etc ,family members with Cast Iron proof that it was a Double transaction, like $60 at a Gas station, and another was a $100 Over Charge on a Car Rental, black and white Math error, with Paper Documentation and everything, this one was the most offensive and Blatant , and both banks (different banks) refused to give the money back.. charged it back multiple times.
    In the Gas station charge , my bro just gave up, after spending HOURS on the phone with his bank & numerous credits and then chargebacks, he simply cancelled the account and never went back to that bank.. How they took the Merchants Side on an obvious Double Charge is beyond any logic and comprehension.. I've spoken with people who had similar stories of Double trasactions who also got no where with their banks as well.
    Banks today must just assume all people are either Stupid, or will just let it go & not bother wasting your time. (sort of like not taking the Day off to fight a speeding Ticket)
    So, If you let it go, you will never get your money back, do NOT count on them correcting it on their own "auditing" process . .. I worked in the Credit card Industry when there was some Integrity in the Business. Not Today.. You dont stay on top of this, you WILL get screwed..
    Good Luck..

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

I had it happen to me recently at Banco BHD in SD. I went to withdraw some money, I went through all the steps, and when it came time to withdraw the money I was told the transaction was denied, which was weird as I had just checked my balance. I went ahead, and tried again, and once again, same message of the transaction being denied. When I got back to my place, I checked my bank statement online, and saw that both transactions had been posted to my account, leaving me $600 dollars overdrawn. I called my bank, and they told me I'd have to go down, and talk to the bank, when I got to BHD they told me there was nothing I could do, and to talk to my US bank.

Me being the lazy fuck I am, decided it was to much work, and just decided to see what happened. About 2 or 3 days later the money had been credited back to my account. I guess the transactions were still pending, as opposed to having been completed posted.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The latest update is the following email I received from my US Bank.

Thank you for your email. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I was advised that a letter had been mailed to you on 11/13/12 with
    details regarding the results of the dispute we had submitted.

Based on the response from the
    merchant, we were notified that the cash had been dispensed, and that
    the ATM machine had been balanced at the end of the day.

However, if you wish to escalate
    this dispute, we will need a written letter, signed and dated by you, to
    be faxed or mailed to us at the following:

So they sent me a letter to my US address explaining this, but it's sitting in my box in the US. Progreso claims the cash was dispensed and the ATM machine balanced. The thought occured to me that after I walked away the broken connection corrected itself and the machine dispensed the money but this seems a remote possibility considering I got the message, "Cannot complete this transaction" or "Transaction denied" or whatever it said. The machine asked me if I wanted another transaction, I pushed "NO" and retrieved my card. This machine only dispenses money when the card is inside.

I'll pursue the letter and keep making noise.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

All bankers are thieves. They happen to be a necessary evil and the convenience of using bank ATM's for cash dispersement and currency exchange is less risky than carrying large amounts of cash when out of the Country.

I try to use only ATM's at banks and use them during banking hours when withdrawing amounts over $100US. It may be no more secure than using gas station ATM's but at least it gives me someone to vent on in case a problem arises.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I have had it happen to me twice and got refunded both times after applying to my UK bank. The second time they refunded it then clawed it back then refunded it again. I think they charged me the transaction charge (abour six dollars) twice but I wasn't too fussed about that. More that it cost me about 20 dollars in phone calls to the UK and hours of my time waiting in line and getting passed round various extensions only to end up at the first one I rang. I was assured that my call was valuable to them so many times that must have accounted for a third of my phone charges.

These things, and other malfunctions and scams, happen a lot in the DR. That is why I have posted many times on this and other boards recommending guys to use their cards inside the bank over the teller counter. That also has two other advantages. It is safer than being seen drawing cash out on the street. And you can ask for part of your money in small bills and coins so you never run out of change during your trip.

Seems common sense to me, but whenever I post it is always followed by guys saying they have used ATMs here for 5 ... 8 ... 15 ... n years without problems. Plus a certain HQ member then posts that he arrives with a quarter of a million in dollars in cash which he always carries around in a billfold in his back pocket and never needs to draw any more cash.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I have had it happen to me twice and got refunded both times after applying to my UK bank. The second time they refunded it then clawed it back then refunded it again. I think they charged me the transaction charge (abour six dollars) twice but I wasn't too fussed about that. More that it cost me about 20 dollars in phone calls to the UK and hours of my time waiting in line and getting passed round various extensions only to end up at the first one I rang. I was assured that my call was valuable to them so many times that must have accounted for a third of my phone charges.

These things, and other malfunctions and scams, happen a lot in the DR. That is why I have posted many times on this and other boards recommending guys to use their cards inside the bank over the teller counter. That also has two other advantages. It is safer than being seen drawing cash out on the street. And you can ask for part of your money in small bills and coins so you never run out of change during your trip.

Seems common sense to me, but whenever I post it is always followed by guys saying they have used ATMs here for 5 ... 8 ... 15 ... n years without problems. Plus a certain HQ member then posts that he arrives with a quarter of a million in dollars in cash which he always carries around in a billfold in his back pocket and never needs to draw any more cash.
    And then Jimmy tells them to rob said member.... it is a real shame

No honor amongst thieves I tell you

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    The latest update is the following email I received from my US Bank.

I'll pursue the letter and keep making noise.
    This happened to me once several years ago in Sosua and my bank took care of it with no problems. Good luck!!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The latest on this seems to be a resolution. Yesterday I faxed a signed and dated letter to my US bank explaining everything. Then today an "adjustment credit" for the amount in question appeared in my account. I have no idea how they went from telling me Banco Progreso said I got the cash to adjusting the credit...all in one day, but I have a suspicion:

My first contact with my US bank was via email and the return email was from someone with an Indian name....probably a service center in India. The weak English and Spanish skills probably ended up asking Banco Progreso if I received cash that day instead of asking if I received cash TWICE that day. Yesterday my FAX went to a Dispute Center in Colorado where someone with actual English skills read the letter and asked the right questions.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

So now you have the 260 clams back in your account? Hell....it's the weekend, lets party baby!!

Grab some of that VIP action on the strip.....vpchill says he's going to lie low for a bit so take his seat on the couch!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    vpchill says he's going to lie low for a bit
    boy I would hope so............might not be a bad idea for him to exit Sosua soon.......

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And the moral of the story is that all readers should never to use a Progreso Bank ATM again, and the Bank should be told about it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

This thread just reminded me that I have to stop in to Chase bank and let them know I will be in the DR starting Friday for 12 nights... Nothing to do with the bank in the thread, but a big recommendation to anyone travelling to the DR... If you havent heard this before, make sure they make a note on your account that you will be in the DR, so they dont freeze your cheez... It would suck not being able to withdraw cash because they think you are the victim of a robbery, but only want to take some of your money out of the bank!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 233 Posts

it happened to me once in Sosua I reported it to my US bank an the charges were rapidly reversed I never use my ATM DR anymore I just take extra cash

38. The Following User Says Thank You to tonymd For This Useful Post:

Thread Information