Thread: I like AA and first choice but how I fly Spirit and avoid baggage fees

Thanks

I like AA and first choice but how I fly Spirit and avoid baggage fees

For the longest time now I prefer to fly AA and Spirit is my backup if pricing is a few hundred dollars cheaper. Spirit is no frills and everything costs something. Cramped leg room but if you are saving hundreds of dollars just take a personal bag. You can always pay for more legroom and remember to print your boarding pass within 24 hours of your flight. You are allowed a free 16 by 14 by 12 inch bag which is 2688 cubic inches . Now that isn't a lot of room but get a bag that is close to that size. I have a bag that is 16 by 12 by 10 about 1920 cubic inches and doesn't have rollers or a frame that wastes space. As long as your bag is over 1700 cubic inches and as long as you have you don't have to take a lot with you, just do laundry once or twice if you are going for a week or so. I throw a pair of sandals, causual shoes in there, 2 pair of docker type of pants, 4 shorts, 2 swim trunks, 4 shirts, condoms, small clear bag with toiletries and 4 pair of socks and underwear in there. I roll everying up pretty tight as well and bag is full but not unzippeable full. Going down I wear a short sleeve tshirt with a long sleeve shirt on in case it gets cool at night when down there, blue jeans, belt and tennis shoes down. I still have room for a digital camera and Smart Phone and no waiting in line when going to the airport. You all have to deal with customs but it's a lot easier this way. I've traveled a few times like this with the family when going to the DR and saving 150-200 dollars a person and still paying for one bag is a no brainer for me. I have this same bag but I got mine in a 3piece set a couple of years ago at Sears or Target I believe. Online a comploete set like I have is shown at http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb...mNumber=116540 and someone is selling just the 16 by 12 by 10 bag on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verdi-Black-...item416a80d1b1 This post may not interest many people but just trying to pass on some info about almost having carryon dimensions and space and using it as a personal bag. Sometimes Spirit does have low fares that are unbelievably low and am flying them and have all ready prepacked what I am going to take to see if it would fit when I go solo in a couple of months. AA was over 500 dollars from where I am but I got a fare for a little over 300 with a 35 off code that if you are a free spirit member you can receive in your email regularly and they always have discount codes, etc. Spirit nickels and dimes you but if you don't have to bring a ton of stuff and do laundry at least once, you should have no problem.
    Wolverine

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to latinlover7 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Re: I like AA and first choice but how I fly Spirit and avoid baggage fees

Unfortunately all my points are with AA. If flying from JFK-POP, you cant get better then Jet Blue... They allow 1 full size suitcase, I think up to 50 pounds for free, free direcTV, 25 bucks if you want extra leg room (which I bought going but not returning), give you snacks on the short flight, and in my experience where the best in customer service...

I wish I could do it with carry on only, but staying 12 nights 13 days, I just couldnt... I guess I could if I wanted to go to the laundromat every other day, but I overpack a little too much...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I get points from AA as well but I leave from DTW in the midwest and wish I was lucky like a lot of you and live near JFK or MIA which have more options, less connections and cheaper flights to anywhere that is international.
    Wolverine

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to latinlover7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by latinlover7 View Post
    I get points from AA as well but I leave from DTW in the midwest and wish I was lucky like a lot of you and live near JFK or MIA which have more options, less connections and cheaper flights to anywhere that is international.
    Wolverine
    This upcoming trip, which I purchased about 20 days before leaving, cost me about 535ish round trip, international tax and extra legroom fee included... Its good but I remember back in the day I used to go to POP for about $299 round trip on AA Netsaver deals...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    Unfortunately all my points are with AA. If flying from JFK-POP, you cant get better then Jet Blue... They allow 1 full size suitcase, I think up to 50 pounds for free, free direcTV, 25 bucks if you want extra leg room (which I bought going but not returning), give you snacks on the short flight, and in my experience where the best in customer service...

I wish I could do it with carry on only, but staying 12 nights 13 days, I just couldnt... I guess I could if I wanted to go to the laundromat every other day, but I overpack a little too much...
    I bring on a carry on suitcase, which holds quite a bit,

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    I bring on a carry on suitcase, which holds quite a bit,
    We do laundry in Medellin so a carryon works well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by latinlover7 View Post
    Wolverine
    Looks like the MWISOC group is growing.

Your right. AA is the only airline to fly every day to POP.

You can fly Spirit. But you will leave around 7pm, and land in Santiago at 2:30 or 3:30 am. Then you have to either sit and wait for the bus, or hire a private taxi for around $80 one way. Thats not bad if there are 2 or 3 of you to split the taxi cost.

There is also United which connects in Newark, but I've never flown them.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post

You can fly Spirit. But you will leave around 7pm, and land in Santiago at 2:30 or 3:30 am. Then you have to either sit and wait for the bus, or hire a private taxi for around $80 one way. Thats not bad if there are 2 or 3 of you to split the taxi cost.

With jetblue flying into mde from fll i hope its only a matter of time till another airline flies into pop. I hope jetblue or spirit from fll

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post

Flying out of BUF gives me 2 options, Jetblue, connecting in JFK or United, connecting in EWR. United adds me miles but a connection is on a turboprop. I have no experience with these carriers. Price is the same. Which airline should I consider?
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Flying out of BUF gives me 2 options, Jetblue, connecting in JFK or United, connecting in EWR. United adds me miles but a connection is on a turboprop. I have no experience with these carriers. Price is the same. Which airline should I consider?
    I flew once on a turboprop from DTW to Philadelphia, US Airways in 2003 I believe. I had less room than larger jets and if I remember right, seated around 50 people. Someone else can give you advice on the airlines since I have never flown United or Jet Blue but a lot of people like Jet Blue from what I have heard. The miles may be worth it depending on how many you have and Buffalo to New Jersey EWR would be a very short flight but depending on the size of the Tprop you may be scrunched up and possibly smaller bins for carryons and personal bag. I personally was nervous on my flight because the weather was bad and the plane seemed a little louder than what I was used too.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to latinlover7 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information