Thread: No more JFK to SDQ direct flights after April 2 on AA

Thanks

No more JFK to SDQ direct flights after April 2 on AA

That sucks if you use JFK to fly into Santo Domingo. Maybe too much competition from Jetblue and others. Someone I know has reservations and they rerouted them for their May trip so if you have a flight booked after April, I would check out your itinerary.
    Wolverine

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to latinlover7 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Re: No more JFK to SDQ direct flights after April 2 on AA

Most of us in NJ or NY are not going to fly AA anyway. We've read about all the drama and issues going on with AA flights from those that are in regions that only have AA as an option. AA is just a terrible company for customers right now. As long as United and JetBlue are options, I wouldn't even consider AA. I think on my second trip to DR back in 2008, I flew home on AA because it was the cheapest return flight and had a connection in MIA that was delayed over 2 horas.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Other than to use their frequent flyer miles, why would anyone fly AA when Jet Blue is available? I never even gave them a thought and though it wouldn't matter, I thought all their flights routed through MIA. Hell, usually I travel to JFK to take Jet Blue even though EWR is about 20 minutes from my house. Not on this next trip though. United finally decided to compete with Jet Blue on price so I'm giving them a try into POP.
    trEPP33

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to trEPP33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

This is bad news as i often fly JFK to SDQ on AA using there wide body 767-300. I just became a gold member.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 273 Posts

It looks like they stopped the JFK to STI direct also starting in May, they used to fly direct 8 times a day.
    "The Brinks Truck Never Follows The Hearse"

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

STI as well. Her is a snap of the PR dated 1-15-13.

American Airlines issues statement on discontinued flights

PRESS RELEASE

Santo Domingo.- After careful review of our route network, including performance of individual routes within our global network, American has made the difficult decision to cancel service between New York (JFK) and Santo Domingo (SDQ) and Santiago (STI) effective April 2, 2013. The last scheduled flights on these routes will be on April 1, 2013.

American Airlines has proudly served the Dominican Republic for over 37 years. We remain committed to the Dominican Republic and will continue to serve the market through our Miami Hub, where we operate four daily flights to Santo Domingo, three daily flights to Punta Cana (PUJ), one daily flight to Santiago (STI) and Puerto Plata (POP) and one seasonal flight to La Romana (LRM). American Eagle also serves La Romana from Miami.

American will contact all passengers with reservations on the discontinued flights after April 1st in order to offer them alternative routing.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tony Toca For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Do these rates seem about right for june 28 - July 7th...right on July 4th traveling?

Best times I am getting JFK - SDQ....Delta at 580 range....Jetblue has those 3am weird flight times that suck.

Seems high for SDQ but I think thats about right for that travel period.

May it is 388 range but that is May. All depends on when u go I guess.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Do these rates seem about right for june 28 - July 7th...right on July 4th traveling?

Best times I am getting JFK - SDQ....Delta at 580 range....Jetblue has those 3am weird flight times that suck.

Not just when you go, but which days are within your travels, can change the price dramatically.

Are you opening the Flex dates GRID ? thats the only accurate price gauge, but it only covers 3 days + and - , but at least when you click on a specific dep+ return, its pretty accurate.
    whereas.. the monthly calendar of prices on Kayak is totally meaningless, i hardly ever can figure out why those prices are even there, or if they were ever real. They used to be accurate,but not any more.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can explain it.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Not just when you go, but which days are within your travels, can change the price dramatically.

Are you opening the Flex dates GRID ? thats the only accurate price gauge, but it only covers 3 days + and - , but at least when you click on a specific dep+ return, its pretty accurate.
    whereas.. the monthly calendar of prices on Kayak is totally meaningless, i hardly ever can figure out why those prices are even there, or if they were ever real. They used to be accurate,but not any more.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can explain it.
    the problem with any flexible date search is that prices are constantly fluctuating - so a price that was accurate yesterday may have changed 3 times since then, and kayak's engine lists prices found within the last 24-48hrs.

another problem with kayak is that you'll often see a price listed that's well below (usually about half) of what you know it 'should' be because it's listing one way of a r/t fare as the whole fare.

for the most part kayak is fairly accurate.

the best airfare search is probably ita's matrix (now owned by google)
    http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    the problem with any flexible date search is that prices are constantly fluctuating - so a price that was accurate yesterday may have changed 3 times since then, and kayak's engine lists prices found within the last 24-48hrs.

another problem with kayak is that you'll often see a price listed that's well below (usually about half) of what you know it 'should' be because it's listing one way of a r/t fare as the whole fare.

for the most part kayak is fairly accurate.

the best airfare search is probably ita's matrix (now owned by google)
    http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
    Never heard of that engine. cool...just checked and my flights are now 648....f me...lol...

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Never heard of that engine. cool...just checked and my flights are now 648....f me...lol...

Man, I remember the days of running around with my little IATA routing book that used to be published ever month that listed all the flights and their prices.

You could really put together some great deals with that book, if you were willing to take the less direct route. I don't think it's even available anymore.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I live on the east coast US and from the little bit of checking I have done so far it seems like
    all of the flights pretty much suck. hard to believe we can't get a direct flight with DR being
    so close.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wingmanpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

My last trip a few months ago, I used Delta from JFK direct to SDQ, they were about $70US cheaper than Jetblue for the dates I wanted (oftentimes Jetblue and Delta have similar prices). Brand new terminal for Delta at JFK. Delta has economy comfort which costs about $40US each way to get seats that are located just behind the first class area. Free drinks (alcohol) and early boarding with economy comfort. Economy Comfort Seat 10A (maybe) and the other aisle seat in the row that starts behind First Class have a bit more legroom because the partition ends not completely in front of those seats. Jetblue seats are bigger.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingmanpi View Post
    I live on the east coast US and from the little bit of checking I have done so far it seems like
    all of the flights pretty much suck. hard to believe we can't get a direct flight with DR being
    so close.
    Jetblue has about 5 non-stop flights per day JFK to SDQ, Delta has about 3 direct flights per day, JFK to SDQ.

LaGuardia, Westchester, Newark Airports with stops on Jetblue.

Jetblue flies into La Romana on Wednesdays and Saturdays non-stop from JFK. Similarly for AZS (Samana) from JFK.

United has at least one non-stop flight from Newark to SDQ.

Jetblue has about 6 non-stop flights per day from JFK to STI (Santiago). Delta with three non-stops, JFK to STI.

Jetblue for October 16, 2013 (the date I chose to search for flights), has one non-stop flight to Punta Cana (PUJ) from JFK, same for Delta.

Jetblue with one non-stop flight from JFK to Puerto Plata for October 16, 2013, Delta with none.

Schedules change. Dom. Rep. doesn't set their clocks back in the Fall for Daylight Savings Time (for a part of the year they will be one hour ahead, will affect what time it is when you land in the Dom Rep during a part of the year).

Flight times out of JFK for SDQ, October 16, 2013; 7AM, 9:54AM, 1:41PM, 3:19PM and 9PM.

I have landed at SDQ at around 4AM, Alamo/National rent a car is open 24/7 there, rented a car and drove to a cabana with an amiga. If it is around 6AM when I exit the airport, I have driven to beach, went swimming, then ate breakfast at some restaurant near the beach, then drove into Santo Domingo to check into the hotel.

Current rate as of today for 4 of the 5 non-stop flights, JFK to SDQ for October 16, 2013 on Jetblue is $185 one way (includes all teaxes and fees), for Delta $184.50. Using the below promo code might save someone 15% on Jetblue.

Jetblue Promo code info for 15% off and 20% off:

"Offer Details:
    • Promo Code: OCTOBER1
    • 20% off* the base fare of a domestic roundtrip JetBlue flight or 15% off* the base fare of an international roundtrip JetBlue flight. (Base fare is everything but the gov’t taxes/fees)
    • Book by October 1, 2013 (11:59 PM EST)
    • Travel October 15 – November 20, 2013
    • Not valid for Friday or Sunday flights. Roundtrip flights cannot have a Friday or Sunday departure or return
    • Not valid on previous bookings"

Also Jetblue has a promotion until October 16, 2013: "For every purchase of 5,000 points, receive a 50% bonus."

Some Jetblue fare sale prices might not show up on popular travel sites. I would recommend joining Jetblue (free), so that you can receive their fare sale announcements and promotions to your email.
    Last edited by Jao; 10-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thread Information