Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA and US Air to merge

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,336 Times in 6,473 Posts

Re: AA and US Air to merge

I HATE LGA airport. It is IMO the worst of the 3 NYC area airports. I much rather go to JFK or EWR for any flight than LGA. The Train option then the airtrain to the airport for JFK and EWR make it very convenient for anyone who could get to Penn Station in NYC.

Yeah them not having an increase in Asia options sucks big time. However I just discovered right now that Malaysia Airlines does fly to Manila. They just don't fly from NYC. They only fly from LAX. Hypothetically speaking since AA uses One world partners to create a reward flight to Asia, now that Malaysia Airlines is one world AA should be able to get you to LAX from the Northeast and then let you fly with either Malaysia Airlines, Cathay Pacific or Japan Airlines. 1 additional option to look at.

www.malaysiaairlines.com (or google search it)

http://www.oneworld.com/member-airli...ysia-airlines/

Great post Hunter.

We should get all the US Air and AA posts merged into this one. Not sure where the other ones are though. this topic.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

done deal
    http://www.aa.com/arriving

and for those wondering:

Q:
    Will American and US Airways combine their loyalty programs into one?A:Once the merger is complete, the new American will evaluate how best to structure its loyalty program. Ultimately, the combined company is expected to offer members more opportunities to earn and burn miles from an expanded global network of routes and partnerships, unmatched redemption options including flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, one-way awards and lounge memberships, and much more.
    At this time, American and US Airways will remain separate companies and each company will maintain its current loyalty program — our AAdvantage program and US Airways Dividend Miles. We expect the transaction to close in the third quarter of 2013, subject to customary approvals and closing conditions, and will keep you updated throughout the process.
    they're a little cagey in their response. yes, the programs will merge, but what value your miles will retain is apparently still in question. they'll probably do the same as united/continental, but i wouldn't put it past them to fuck it up.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    done deal

and for those wondering:

they're a little cagey in their response. yes, the programs will merge, but what value your miles will retain is apparently still in question. they'll probably do the same as united/continental, but i wouldn't put it past them to fuck it up.
    Was waiting for this. I saw the email AA sent out.

In regards to the value of the miles...US Airways miles are almost worthless with the current program. So the real questions are will AA Miles lose value? Surely those US Airways have to become valueable now.

The roller coaster ride officially begins now?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by American Airlines

Q:
    How will international service be affected by the merger?

A:
    American Airlines and US Airways combine two complementary networks, creating easier access to the best destinations throughout the U.S. and around the globe. With continued membership in theoneworld® alliance, the new American's customers will have access to an even greater range of destinations, airline choices, and mileage earning and redemption opportunities.

Q:
    What does the merger mean for the joint business relationship American has with British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas?

A:
    American remains fully committed to its joint business agreements with British Airways and Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas. The new combined American Airlines will be a stronger airline with a broader route network bringing even greater benefits to the joint business relationships.

Q:Will you discontinue any of existing relationships with AAdvantage business partners?

A:
    At this time, American and US Airways will remain separate companies and each company will maintain its current loyalty program. There is no impact to the AAdvantage program and at this time we do not have any plans to discontinue any of our existing relationships.

Once the merger is complete, the new American will evaluate how best to structure its loyalty program. Ultimately, the combined company is expected to offer members more opportunities to earn and burn miles from an expanded global network of routes and partnerships, unmatched redemption options including flights, hotels, car rentals, vacation packages, one-way awards and lounge memberships, and much more. We expect the transaction to close in the third quarter of 2013, subject to customary approvals and closing conditions, and will keep you updated throughout the process.

"American and US Airways will remain separate companies" is pretty much the clear message they want to send right now. But aside from that I like the highlighted language regarding international partners. If all the airline has to do is get me to the west coast to offer me access to one of those One World partners that flies into Asia (or anywhere on the other side of the world) this could be a great deal.

But I agree Deezl, they could definitely still fuck it up.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Who are these Mickey Mouse airlines? Surely Pan American and TWA are the only ones that really matter?
    On reflection, this reminded me of the time the stewardess offered me a choice between Eastern milk, Pan Am coffee, and TWA-tea ...
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just got my 2nd. USAir credit card with the 40k miles. that takes me to about 100k. hopefully I can transfer them to AA in the not to distant future where I already have 55k.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ttrux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ttrux View Post
    I just got my 2nd. USAir credit card with the 40k miles. that takes me to about 100k. hopefully I can transfer them to AA in the not to distant future where I already have 55k.
    I grabbed that USAIR 40K card a few days ago, it also has a 10,000 money transfer that pays points and lets you sit the money for six months interest free.. Currently charging up the AAdavantage card for some future hotels to transfer over and get another 10K points and 6 months of interest free money sit REALLY really hoping to be able to grab another US Air card before the merger is complete but I am reading I'll have to wait five months and it looks like they have already pulled to 40K/first year free offer for now.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Talis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

whats nice about the USAir card is there is no min. spend to get the points. USAir card, get while you can.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ttrux For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information