Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hotel Magnifico, Cabarete 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: Hotel Magnifico, Cabarete 2013

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    I like Cabarete because its a nice alternative if you don't want to be in the action of the SU 24/7 but still want it readily accessible. For the most part its worth the price imo. What I was thinking with the $20-25 policy was maybe for instances if you rent a 2-bedroom condo and share it with a wing. The price of the reservation covers you and your wing but I figured they meant that if either of you bring an an additional person to stay the night (chica) than that 3rd or 4th person would exceed the 2 person requirement at which point you would pay the $20-25 extra per night for that person. I've never stayed there so I honestly have no clue but that's what I gathered when I read the additional charge on their site and after reading what trEPP33 wrote. Definitely considering them for future stays though.

I'm with you and yes, that situation could become an issue with price. Sharing a beer or two with certain security may help the financial aspect though. (Not that he said it directly )

This trip was an eye opener for me. I rented a car for the first time. I too am looking strongly at Cabarete as a home base again in the future. It's nice to be away from the main action sometimes.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

I like the way you think.

I've had a car rental every single trip I've ever taken to the DR lol

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    I'm with you and yes, that situation could become an issue with price. Sharing a beer or two with certain security may help the financial aspect though. (Not that he said it directly )

This trip was an eye opener for me. I rented a car for the first time. I too am looking strongly at Cabarete as a home base again in the future. It's nice to be away from the main action sometimes.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There have been a few stories recently about security in some of the area hotels that without doubt have had a negative slant. Pondering all of this, I reflected on a recent situation that I thought I’d share.

On this trip to the north coast and subsequent stay at Magnifico, I bridged and bonded some generations in my family by bringing the one who brought me into this world as well as one that I did the same. It was to be a trip of a lifetime for one and hopefully a glimpse of the world (and hopefully future) for the other. For me, it was a chance to give back, enjoy family, and............well, slip just a little bit of mongering in.

It was shortly after Christmas Day when we all touched down on the North Coast and headed for a New Years together in Cabarete. “Santa” brought a new iTouch (iPod) for the little one on the morning of the 25th and it never left those hands for the ensuing days. It was enjoyed and treated with extreme care and a new found understanding of it’s value and importance as a gift that needed some TLC. Little one’s are fun to shape and mold. Often, their thoughts are still naive to the ways of the world (several of you can relate, I’m sure).

Well as it happened, this new “toy” was just another step towards maturity and surely wasn’t going to be left at home for this trip. The tell tale sign of enjoyment once on the ground was evident when enjoying the newness of the island, people, culture, etc……….along with some “cool” (her words) new tunes to romp around with.

Day three or so rolled up and she and my mom wandered up to the Magnifico pool area while I entertained myself in Sosua with WickedWillie, Robert, and Michel for an afternoon breakfast and good catch-up conversation. I returned quite a bit later after a stop in at Rockys to say hello and a stop at another off the path beach courtesy of WW, I found all to be good with the family.

This all ended an hour or so later while enjoying the late afternoon on the porch and the little one went to grab some tunes while the adults talked and enjoyed a beverage or two. It was nowhere to be found. Cutting to the chase and after some frantic searches, it was determined that the afternoon at the pool ended up turning into a jaunt down by the ocean just off premises before heading back to the apartment. I put two and two together and did a quick search of the pool area before taking a look at the beach. It was dark by now and there was no luck in either area.

The night was turning out to be an unpleasant one, especially when my daughter realized and understood the consequences of what she had done…….or better stated, what she had forgotten to do. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy at the moment but I knew how to handle it with her and get her calmed down (the tears would make a grown man crumble).

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The next morning came and I slept in a little late. When I finally got my cup of coffee and walked out to the porch, I found my mom and daughter there already enjoying the new day. I happened to glance on the table and there sat her iPod in all it’s glory………….and a beaming grin from my little one.

She had followed my advice from the night before and at first light, grabbed her abuela’s hand and headed to the front desk area to ask if anyone had found her new prized possession (currently newly lost). The front desk immediately contacted security who arrived to hear the whole story (and probably still witness a tear or two). They obviously hadn’t found anything, but went into CSI mode from the way the story was relayed to me.

The security gentleman scoured (I think) and came up with nothing on the premises before heading down to the beach. He then went down to the beach and looking around. Now the story is a little fuzzy, but I was told that several fishermen were asked and one immediately piped up and produced the lost treasure (still in case and ear buds attached) at the first questioning. My little one left it on a couple of sea rocks the day before and the gentleman found it that morning.

Whether the end of the story has some truth or not, my little one had a smile on her face and a new found respect for her possessions. Through our writings here, many of us tend to lump them all together in their characteristics and usually in a negative perspective. I walked away with a new respect for the people of the country and the integrity that sometimes may seem hard to find, but is not always as rampant as we sometimes perceive.

(security can be good too, btw )

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

That's whats up!! I'm glad the fisherman who found it returned it! Good to see there are still decent human beings out there. I bet she will be holding on to that thing like its her finger prints at this point lol
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information