Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuba Libre - now "The Pub" - B.Y.O.C. says the new manager

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Cuba Libre - now "The Pub" - B.Y.O.C. says the new manager

I strolled way up Pedro Clisante, past La Passions, to Calle Hollandia and Cuba Libre.

Spoke at length over several glasses of rum (my side) and Red Bull (his side) with the (old manager? owner?) of the place. He has leased it out to a new owner, who has decided to 'rein it in' and make it over into some simulacrum of an English pub - complete with darts.

The new policy is "Bring Your Own Chica." If you meet someone you'd like to TALK to, he intends to keep the music down to HIS standards, which are - essentially - he wants to hear others talk in a normal voice.

And he will not have chicas on-site.

He is a partner in Caribbean Men's Paradise, and so if you want a chica he'll send you there. He offered to get me a chica from there, but I am presently too full of rum for a chica in my bed to do me a rat's ass worth of good.

More tomorrow, on my 'Three Strikes You're Out' thread.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: Cuba Libre - now "The Pub" - B.Y.O.C. says the new manager

People went out of their way to go to Fred's because he had pretty girls there who were available for the taking - and he still (afaik) wasn't making any money at that place. Unless the new guy is prepared to lose every penny he puts into it he will most likely be very disappointed with the outcome.

There are really only three reasons to open a bar in Sosua:
    1.) you have a plan and a business model and enough money, determination and connections to make it successful.
    2.) you don't really care about the money and you just want something to do with your time
    3.) you have a dream (and no idea what you're getting into).

reason #3 probably accounts for about 75% of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    1.) you have a plan and a business model and enough money, determination and connections to make it successful.
    2.) you don't really care about the money and you just want something to do with your time

I'd put it much closer to 90%.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I strolled way up Pedro Clisante, past La Passions, to Calle Hollandia and Cuba Libre.

Spoke at length over several glasses of rum (my side) and Red Bull (his side) with the (old manager? owner?) of the place. He has leased it out to a new owner, who has decided to 'rein it in' and make it over into some simulacrum of an English pub - complete with darts.

The new policy is "Bring Your Own Chica." If you meet someone you'd like to TALK to, he intends to keep the music down to HIS standards, which are - essentially - he wants to hear others talk in a normal voice.

He is a partner in Caribbean Men's Paradise, and so if you want a chica he'll send you there. He offered to get me a chica from there, but I am presently too full of rum for a chica in my bed to do me a rat's ass worth of good.

I was thinking about checking the new place out.......UNTIL I read the part highlighted. I would stay clear of any place affiliated with the "CMP Partnership"! I suspect the main purpose of that business is not to make money from tourist..........enough said!

BTW. This is my previous CMP thread:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...O-TO-CMP-AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

The kiss of death. He won't see any of my money, ever.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    People went out of their way to go to Fred's because he had pretty girls there who were available for the taking - and he still (afaik) wasn't making any money at that place. Unless the new guy is prepared to lose every penny he puts into it he will most likely be very disappointed with the outcome.

Also don't forget about the cleaning of money factor.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Interesting business model.

That place had a hard enough time attracting customers when they actually had girls there.

So the reason to go there now is ....
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post

That place had a hard enough time attracting customers when they actually had girls there.

Get beat up for no reason?? Throw away good money?? Wipe your butt with your padded bill??

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The kiss of death. He won't see any of my money, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Get beat up for no reason?? Throw away good money?? Wipe your butt with your padded bill??

Nonsense..
    you are a Hater ,thats what you are..

A british Pub with SOFT music, which only the Owner Likes, and a Dart Board...
    and NO chicas.. and Im guessing NO big Screen TV even for watching Sports. in Sosua, a whore town.. filled with mongers who love Sports and whores.

what could POSSIBLY go wrong. ? ..

Im buying STOCK in this place... where do I send the $$ ?

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Didn't step foot in CMP last trip and that was 15 nights... Ever since I heard the stories about what happened to Rick and DQ, and my story which I think I told, I bought a chica I was interested in 2 CMP's drinks... Its basically a fruit punch but costs 10 bucks each... Of course I didn't ask how much it was and was shocked when I finally got my bill... On that alone, I would never go back..
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Nonsense..
    you are a Hater ,thats what you are..

A british Pub with SOFT music, which only the Owner Likes, and a Dart Board...
    and NO chicas.. and Im guessing NO big Screen TV even for watching Sports. in Sosua, a whore town.. filled with mongers who love Sports and whores.

what could POSSIBLY go wrong. ? ..

Im buying STOCK in this place... where do I send the $$ ?
    There's a saying in Ireland that the men go to the pub to get shut of the women; it's a refuge for them.

True enough, there may be expats who will go there for exactly that reason. But I didn't - or didn't quite - come here to Sosua for that reason.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

The only reason to go there is to see where The Corniiest Bar in Sosua is.
    I've offended you.....goood

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

There's a saying in Ireland that the men go to the pub to get shut of the women; it's a refuge for them.

True enough, there may be expats who will go there for exactly that reason. But I didn't - or didn't quite - come here to Sosua for that reason.
    If you just wanna relax, have a few drinks, hang with the fellas, and take a break from the pussy, I would just go to Coaches Corner... You also get to watch sports in this place and it is in the middle of all the Sosua action...

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    If you just wanna relax, have a few drinks, hang with the fellas, and take a break from the pussy, I would just go to Coaches Corner... You also get to watch sports in this place and it is in the middle of all the Sosua action...
    The Coaches Corner bartenders are pretty easy on the eyes
    I am fairly sure if you are not a drunk slob, they might help you get rid of a few RD Pesos once their regular shift is over.
    I co-sign, it is a nice relaxing spot away from the hustlers on Pedro Clisante.

Chalky

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

The Pub was fixed up a bit better now...

You can:

use the beer garden there
    the junk beside the bar has been cleaned up and the bad smell gone
    the tiles on the bar fixed
    the bar stools are in better shape
    there are several comfortable couches in the building area
    there is a dart board
    the bathrooms are in better shape
    music is not blaring and is ok
    the owner can carry on a good conversation and you can relax there
    they had two Dominican chica bartenders. One bartender had a very good outgoing personality and ok looks.
    If I remember right a Presedente beer cost 80 pesos.

I don't remember if they still have the large screen tv or not, but did not notice it.

The guys going there now are exactly the way a previous poster said...they are typically expat guys interested in drinking and talking. Occasionally some guys will bring chicas there to sit on the couches as its more quiet there than the strip. I was there and had a good time once. But I had not been back. For an expat, its sometimes nice to go for a drink without the Putas or chicas trying to get your attention constantly. But I think most guys on the board here will mostly like to go where there is some eye candy and the possibility of something more...even after they have had their fill of chicas for the day/week and are just trying to chill...

In some time I expect the place to revert to the old Cuba Libra format/vibe with some chicas behind the bar available... But we shall see...things change a lot here...

27. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky White View Post
    The Coaches Corner bartenders are pretty easy on the eyes
    I am fairly sure if you are not a drunk slob, they might help you get rid of a few RD Pesos once their regular shift is over.
    I co-sign, it is a nice relaxing spot away from the hustlers on Pedro Clisante.

Chalky
    I could not agree more. Also, they get their food from Brittania across the street and its very good... The owner is always eager to make everyone happy and will change the channel on one of the televisions to make sure you see your game as long as it doesn't interfere with other people already there...

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Beleive it or not, there are other people in Sosua who are not mongers and might like another place to sip their suds and have a pleasant conversation. I hit up these joints occasionally while in town and talk with the local expats, some of them I've known for several years.

A spot like the Checkpoint or the Jolly Roger for example. Met mostly Canadian expats, people who live in La Mulatta and surrounding areas. Never have seen any of them in any of the main nightspots that those on here mainly go to. Just a change of pace. Everyone has their particular spots to go. When the Checkpoint closes, a lot of them head up to the JR and finish up the night.

As someone who likes that end of town, I'll stop in to see how it is my next time down. I always made it a point to visit Fred's at least once per trip, but as far as the girls he had there, forget it. As overrated as your Aunt Kate's meatloaf. Very little interaction with customers unless you asked them if they wanted a drink. I thought they were starfish BEHIND the bar, nevermind being in your room!

Maybe in it's new renovation, it won't draw among the ISOC crowd but it might with a different bunch.

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

The place is always empty except for friends of the owners and the occasional local getting off work from Hotel Colibri.
    Last edited by psriches; 02-24-2013 at 10:27 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

The one good thing is none of you bastids will ever get to my sweet princess. [insert evil laugh]

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There used to be a bar in Santiago called "Vadars", run by an old German man and his equally old wife. They had the absolutely coldest beer in Santiago.

It was a Men's only bar (not in a gay way), and no women allowed. Girls used to go nuts wondering what was going on in that back room.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information