Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 03/2014 - EWR to JFK

Thanks

03/2014 - EWR to JFK

Due to the skyrocketing prices from Chicago to POP, I have decided to go through Santiago for my upcoming trip. No prob getting from Santiago to Sosua because I have done that a few times. The problem I have is my flight from Chicago lands at EWR airport after 1 AM. I will be on the first thing smoking from JFK that morning. I have done some research and only come up with an expensive taxi or about 4 changes/transfer via public transportation. Would any of the ISOC faithful know of any reasonable transportation from EWR to JFK after 1 AM. From my research shuttle vans between the airports stop operating after 11:30pm. Would someone know of an inexpensive shuttle/shared ride that operates between the airports 24 hours a day? Or has anyone done the public transportation route? Does public trans operate 24 hours and are the connections easy? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pepp-1 For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

Re: EWR to JFK

You can catch a train. Train to Penn station NY, then you have to take the A train marked (far rockaway) not (leffers boulevard.) Takes you right to air train to JFK.
    We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    You can catch a train. Train to Penn station NY, then you have to take the A train marked (far rockaway) not (leffers boulevard.) Takes you right to air train to JFK.
    I'm not sure NJ Transit runs that late. I think the NE Corridor and North Jersey Coast lines don't start up again until 4:30 am. I've done the NJ Coast Line-LIRR-AirTrain late night run before. LIRR is 24/7, but NJ Transit will be the missing link... there are no late night trains from EWR.
    Blue Devil

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pepp-1 View Post
    Due to the skyrocketing prices from Chicago to POP, I have decided to go through Santiago for my upcoming trip. No prob getting from Santiago to Sosua because I have done that a few times. The problem I have is my flight from Chicago lands at EWR airport after 1 AM. I will be on the first thing smoking from JFK that morning. I have done some research and only come up with an expensive taxi or about 4 changes/transfer via public transportation. Would any of the ISOC faithful know of any reasonable transportation from EWR to JFK after 1 AM. From my research shuttle vans between the airports stop operating after 11:30pm. Would someone know of an inexpensive shuttle/shared ride that operates between the airports 24 hours a day? Or has anyone done the public transportation route? Does public trans operate 24 hours and are the connections easy? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

NJ Path train to Penn Station NY.......Long Island Rail Road To Jamaica Station .........walk up stairs to Airtrain To JFK

http://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule.pdf

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branc...inalBranch.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-to-from.html

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    NJ Path train to Penn Station NY.......Long Island Rail Road To Jamaica Station .........walk up stairs to Airtrain To JFK

http://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule.pdf

http://mta.info/lirr/Timetable/Branc...inalBranch.pdf

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-to-from.html
    If the NJ Path trains sun 24/7, he can take NJ Transit to Newark, then catch Path at Newark station...

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
    I'm not sure NJ Transit runs that late. I think the NE Corridor and North Jersey Coast lines don't start up again until 4:30 am. I've done the NJ Coast Line-LIRR-AirTrain late night run before. LIRR is 24/7, but NJ Transit will be the missing link... there are no late night trains from EWR.
    I

The only one that may not run early morning is the air train in EWR, may have to take a cab to Newark penn station, from there the trains run all night, they just don't run as frequently, I think every 40 min over night.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

From JFK you can take the airtrain to the LIRR.
    Take the LIRR to Penn Station. I think total will be about 20 dollars (Airtrain is like 6 to 8 and I think the LIRR is just about the same)

From Penn Station, Blue Devil is RIGHTTTT NJ transit doesn't run 24 hours. I found this out the hardway just last night when I arrived at 2:15 and saw that the next train that would take me to EWR (Newark) was at 5am. That wasn't going to work since my flight was at 5am.

I took a yellow cab from 34th street and I ended up paying 100 dollars!!! That includes toll and the 20 dollars they charge for out of state... He told me it would be about 60 to 70 dollars but the traffic was heavy at that time. So be very careful about making that commute. The airtrain at EWR seems to always be running. Getting there will be a hassle though if you go after 1am from Penn station in Manhattan.

Don't take the A or E trains to Penn station in manhattan though. The LIRR is so much faster (about 30 minutes) and the cost is only 5 to 8 bucks. MTA will charge you 2.25 to 2.50 and it will be a lot slower because of the number of stops plus it won't be running the regular route because its late at night. A train is express but runs local at that time. E train is express in Queens but also runs local on weekends and late nights.

What I find interesting is that there is a flat fare price for JFK when you take a yellow taxi but there is none when you are traveling to EWR and depending on traffic that can cost you a pretty penny.

Goodluck with figuring this all out.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    I

The only one that may not run early morning is the air train in EWR, may have to take a cab to Newark penn station, from there the trains run all night, they just don't run as frequently, I think every 40 min over night.
    Last night I was trying to take a train to Newark from Penn station in Manhattanan and they didn't have any trains until 5am that would stop at newark. They had a train going to boston at like 2:30 but after that there wasn't anything going into NJ until after 5am. I only got there at 2:15am so I don't know when the last one going to Newark was but seems like there is a period when there are no trains heading to Newark airport.

I wish I had thought to take the taxi to Newark Penn station. But my heavy traffic was leaving manhattan on the tunnel anyway so probably wouldn't have helped me too much.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

To go through all that in NY, then to have a 2 to 2 1/2 hour ride to Sosua.....I sure hope you're saving a shit ton of money on your trip!

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    To go through all that in NY, then to have a 2 to 2 1/2 hour ride to Sosua.....I sure hope you're saving a shit ton of money on your trip!
    With some of the fares up there, it would be an easy $200+ savings for me.......and that's still with a three hour drive to ATL. We would be talking in the $500+ if I still went out of the local airport.

Either way, EWR is a breeze for NJ folks and probably many NY'ers as well. A trip from EWR to JFK? Fogettaboutit.......without wheels of your own AND in the wee hours of the morning.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    With some of the fares up there, it would be an easy $200+ savings for me.......and that's still with a three hour drive to ATL. We would be talking in the $500+ if I still went out of the local airport.

Either way, EWR is a breeze for NJ folks and probably many NY'ers as well. A trip from EWR to JFK? Fogettaboutit.......without wheels of your own AND in the wee hours of the morning.
    I just realized the Original post is trying to go from EWR to JFK not JFK to EWR, in which case it could be very possible. NYC doesn't sleep, so getting to JFK shouldn't be a problem once you get to Manhattan. The issue really is can you get to Penn Station from Newark Airport after 1am. If you can get to Penn Station though it should be a breeze on the LIRR and then the air train.

Seems a lot harder the other way because Jersey is....well its Jersey.

In any case GOODLUCKKKK. You might be able to make it from EWR to JFK. Just don't take the MTA trains A or E. It will take you forever to get to JFK and you'll either be going through Queens (E train) or Through Brooklyn (A train) all local stops. LIRR is the best bet.

LIRR, NJ Transit and the Airtrain in NY, total should be less than 40 dollars.

I'd like to do a trip from EWR to JFK some day but I don't have any way to justify having to do that. With everything working though it isn't that bad a trip. Your looking at possibly 2 to 3 hours commuting time.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post

I'd like to do a trip from EWR to JFK some day but I don't have any way to justify having to do that. With everything working though it isn't that bad a trip. Your looking at possibly 2 to 3 hours commuting time.
    Me too!.............

You've got some strange travel aspirations DD.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Trip Report Re: EWR to JFK

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...Action=TrainTo

Newark airport and your destination is New York Penn Station. Not sure if it will show in the link below but try the link above to search through the schedules.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...nSchedulesFrom

I don't know what date you are looking for but I doubt the schedule changes much depending on the date (maybe a difference between weekday and weekends though).

Looks like your last chance to get to penn station is catching a 2 am train to Penn station (NY). After that the next train is 6am.

So the real questions for you are. WHat time is your flight landing in EWR??? How much after 1am? With getting your baggage and then catching the airtrain...it could be about an hour by the time you arrive at the station to take the NJ transit. You'd be cutting it very close.
    Last edited by Dave Diaz; 03-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Me too!.............

You've got some strange travel aspirations DD.
    I mean if I was someone flying from LAX to STI or something and I had a stop at JFK and for some strange reason...no more flights from JFK to STI but they have an EWR to STI flight available...I just have too get to EWR and i'd receive compensation for it that would be a simple trip to make depending on the time and all.

Strange is what i'm doing right now and what i've done this week Irie been a long week and a LONGGGG day today...that is for sure.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    Last night I was trying to take a train to Newark from Penn station in Manhattanan and they didn't have any trains until 5am that would stop at newark. They had a train going to boston at like 2:30 but after that there wasn't anything going into NJ until after 5am. I only got there at 2:15am so I don't know when the last one going to Newark was but seems like there is a period when there are no trains heading to Newark airport.

I wish I had thought to take the taxi to Newark Penn station. But my heavy traffic was leaving manhattan on the tunnel anyway so probably wouldn't have helped me too much.
    That's weird, I just checked and the last train to NY was 2:10 am, last October when I went thru JFK they had them every 40min.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

At that hour of the night I'd look at a taxi. Maybe $100?

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tonto4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

At that time the subway doesnt have express trains and the trains from midtown to JFK are very very very slow. I have down the subway after after midnight its not that cool.

A taxi from my house to JFK was about $100, a subway is ~$2 but 2-3 hours on the train after midnight

BUT.... if your traveling at normal hours the express E train to midtown from the JFK airtran is very fast

NYC is the city that never sleeps but it does slow down after midnight. Atleast mass transit wise
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I save at least 300+ at the moment right now. Just considering my options. Taxi or train will get me in route. Guys on the East Coast have it better. My first trip to the DR maybe 2 years ago paid in the 500.00 range. Just checked the dates for my trip, to POP from Chi about 1,000.00 Fuck That!!! This is about a month out. Even if I go the taxi route from EWR I still save about $300.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pepp-1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

I save at least 300+ at the moment right now. Just considering my options. Taxi or train will get me in route. Guys on the East Coast have it better. My first trip to the DR maybe 2 years ago paid in the 500.00 range. Just checked the dates for my trip, to POP from Chi about 1,000.00 Fuck That!!! This is about a month out. Even if I go the taxi route from EWR I still save about $300.

My first trip down, I paid $330 a ticket. What I just paid for Semana Santa, over $1400!!!!!

I've tried doing the cheap route with Spirit, but the times in and out of Santiago is rediculous. Plus, I gave the cheap shit up, after I spent $75 for a taxi for my 3am flight. It was delayed so long out of STI, that I would have missed my connection in Ft Lauderdale, that I took another taxi back to Sosua and extended a couple days. All the taxi's ate up my savings, and I still ended up flying home on AA.

It's just not enough savings, for the inconvienence IMO.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

My first trip down, I paid $330 a ticket. What I just paid for Semana Santa, over $1400!!!!!

I've tried doing the cheap route with Spirit, but the times in and out of Santiago is rediculous. Plus, I gave the cheap shit up, after I spent $75 for a taxi for my 3am flight. It was delayed so long out of STI, that I would have missed my connection in Ft Lauderdale, that I took another taxi back to Sosua and extended a couple days. All the taxi's ate up my savings, and I still ended up flying home on AA.

It's just not enough savings, for the inconvienence IMO.
    Spirit works if its actually going to the place you want to be.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information