Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 03/2014 - EWR to JFK

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

Re: EWR to JFK

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I knew I could count on you deezl.
    Deezl is the Miles Godfather. He almost invented the game!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I'm only going to get 30k off the United personal card I just got, since I'm not going to transfer a balance to this card.
    That sucks!! they had the 50k offer at the chase branch as recent as December 2012, not sure if its changed since i don't know anyone who has applied for it recently. A good number of us got on the same offer and got 50,000 united miles for spending 2,000 (instead of the 3,000 they advertised online).

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...-Thread/page13

What I advised a friend who asked me about getting a credit card was compare your options. Doing it online or over the phone is sometimes the easiest way but not always the best way. I called about the Sapphire preferred Credit card and they had a $3,000 spending requirement. I went to Chase branch Friday and I applied for the card because I knew I would get the same offer with a $2,000 spending requirement instead of $3,000.

I'm sure you'll be racking up the miles in no time.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    Deezl is the Miles Godfather. He almost invented the game!!

That sucks!! they had the 50k offer at the chase branch as recent as December 2012, not sure if its changed since i don't know anyone who has applied for it recently. A good number of us got on the same offer and got 50,000 united miles for spending 2,000 (instead of the 3,000 they advertised online).

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...-Thread/page13

What I advised a friend who asked me about getting a credit card was compare your options. Doing it online or over the phone is sometimes the easiest way but not always the best way. I called about the Sapphire preferred Credit card and they had a $3,000 spending requirement. I went to Chase branch Friday and I applied for the card because I knew I would get the same offer with a $2,000 spending requirement instead of $3,000.

I'm sure you'll be racking up the miles in no time.
    I just got approved with a United card that came from deezl's link. I'll get 30k miles, with my first purchase. I don't have to spend thousands with them, just one purchase.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    Greg doesn't hang around as much and we are definitely not going anywhere with him again.

i don't know how he has survived this long with his level of social/buisness skills
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    i don't know how he has survived this long with his level of social/buisness skills
    He is nicer to the high rollers. Not us

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the intel, i really appreciate those who took time. I do have a question regarding JFK. My flight leaves at 7AM. Will I have to arrive to JFK by 5AM? The reason I ask is if I take the transit route, and miss a train, and arrive after 5AM at JFK, will it be too busy for me to board? I went through LGA before, had no probs boarding an hour or so ahead of time.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pepp-1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    He is nicer to the high rollers. Not us
    i guess he will never be nice to me then

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican dave View Post
    From JFK you can take the airtrain to the LIRR.
    Take the LIRR to Penn Station. I think total will be about 20 dollars (Airtrain is like 6 to 8 and I think the LIRR is just about the same)

From Penn Station, Blue Devil is RIGHTTTT NJ transit doesn't run 24 hours. I found this out the hardway just last night when I arrived at 2:15 and saw that the next train that would take me to EWR (Newark) was at 5am. That wasn't going to work since my flight was at 5am.

I took a yellow cab from 34th street and I ended up paying 100 dollars!!! That includes toll and the 20 dollars they charge for out of state... He told me it would be about 60 to 70 dollars but the traffic was heavy at that time. So be very careful about making that commute. The airtrain at EWR seems to always be running. Getting there will be a hassle though if you go after 1am from Penn station in Manhattan.

Don't take the A or E trains to Penn station in manhattan though. The LIRR is so much faster (about 30 minutes) and the cost is only 5 to 8 bucks. MTA will charge you 2.25 to 2.50 and it will be a lot slower because of the number of stops plus it won't be running the regular route because its late at night. A train is express but runs local at that time. E train is express in Queens but also runs local on weekends and late nights.

What I find interesting is that there is a flat fare price for JFK when you take a yellow taxi but there is none when you are traveling to EWR and depending on traffic that can cost you a pretty penny.

Goodluck with figuring this all out.
    You could have taken the Path train it runs all night $2.00 one way to Newark penn station then taken a cab for about 10.00 to the airport. Damn DD you should have asked me could have save you 80 dollars. That's two st's.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Path train runs 24 hours from NYC to nwk penn station, if you ever miss the cut off of the last no transit train you can take the path train. But give your self a little time as it takes about an hour because the train goes to Hoboken also.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks a lot HUgrad. Yes I have to have some cushion regarding time.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pepp-1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    You could have taken the Path train it runs all night $2.00 one way to Newark penn station then taken a cab for about 10.00 to the airport. Damn DD you should have asked me could have save you 80 dollars. That's two st's.
    The Newark path train does not go to Penn Station (33 st) directly. You need to get off at Journal Square and change trains.. but it is not all night. You'll need to check the schedule. Was the 10.00 rate in 1980? It's at least $40 from Penn to JFK now!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pepp-1 View Post
    Thanks for the intel, i really appreciate those who took time. I do have a question regarding JFK. My flight leaves at 7AM. Will I have to arrive to JFK by 5AM? The reason I ask is if I take the transit route, and miss a train, and arrive after 5AM at JFK, will it be too busy for me to board? I went through LGA before, had no probs boarding an hour or so ahead of time.
    You don't have to worry about the LiRR being full.. There are many trains that go to Jamaica station. Once you get there, take the air train.. There are signs.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hioctane View Post
    The Newark path train does not go to Penn Station (33 st) directly. You need to get off at Journal Square and change trains.. but it is not all night. You'll need to check the schedule. Was the 10.00 rate in 1980? It's at least $40 from Penn to JFK now!
    I think he's talking about a cab from Penn Station in Newark to EWR, not Penn Station in NYC to JFK.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    I think he's talking about a cab from Penn Station in Newark to EWR, not Penn Station in NYC to JFK.
    Exactly.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hioctane View Post
    http://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule.pdf

Looks like it runs pretty much through the night unlike nj transit. I was talking about taking a cab from NJ penn station to ewr.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    Exactly.
    The OP needs to go from EWR to JFK. He gets in at 1 am and needs to catch a 5am flight out of JFK to Santiago.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tonto4 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto4 View Post
    The OP needs to go from EWR to JFK. He gets in at 1 am and needs to catch a 5am flight out of JFK to Santiago.
    He can take the shuttle from ewr to JFK direct

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp
    http://etsairportshuttle.com/
    http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-a...nnections.html

He can take a cab from ewr to Newark penn station if the train is not running and take the path to the subway to the airport.

At 1am I would just pay for a cab to Jfk

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,334 Times in 6,472 Posts

Re: EWR Air train service suspended for 75 days

just a note for anyone in the NYC area traveling through Newark airport and not driving there. The Airtrain will be suspended for 75 days starting May 1st 2014.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link - http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/bl...r-75-days.html

If you plan on being at Newark International Airport between May 1, 2014 and approximately July 14, 2014, be aware that the AirTrain service will be suspended for approximately 75 days to allow the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to perform critical repair work to the rail system within the airport, according to this official press release.
    Additionally, the AirTrain station which links to New Jersey Transit and Amtrak train lines along the Northeast Corridor Rail Line will be closed throughout the service suspension. Substitute shuttle bus service will be provided from Penn Station in Newark.
    Also during the suspension of service, shuttle buses will provide service between terminals, parking lots P2 and P3 — which are the daily parking and rental car areas — and the P4 garage, including valet and hotel courtesy vans. Normal shuttle bus service between long-term economy parking and the terminals will not be affected by the AirTrain service suspension. Short-term parking lots at Terminals A, B and C are within walking distance of the terminals — but parking your vehicle in those parking lots are more expensive.
    “Well its reliability while shut down might just equal that of when it’s actually operating…” quippedFlyerTalk member plon in this discussion.
    I am not sure I would go that far. Whenever I have used the AirTrain service at Newark International Airport, it has always been reliable for me.
    “With the closing of the Pulaski Skyway….stay away from EWR if your destination is New York”,advised FlyerTalk member Analise. “Fly into LGA or JFK. Maybe even ISP.”
    The northbound lanes of the Pulaski Skyway — a busy crossing which carries traffic on United States Highways 1 and 9 — will be closed for 24 months beginning on Saturday, April 12, 2014 so that the bridge deck may be “rehabilitated” by the New Jersey Department of Transportation. Motorists will continue to be able to travel in the southbound direction on the Pulaski Skyway during this phase of the rehabilitation project…
    …and this does not even include the construction and rehabilitation of runway 4L-22R at Newark International Airport, which has already started — forcing it to be out of service through the end of the year.
    Although it is structurally safe, dozens of spots on the 6.3-mile running surface of the AirTrain rail system which consists of a welded steel grid and epoxy grout are showing signs of erosion — similar to how potholes appear on roadways — and need replacement.
    You are urged to find alternate means of travel to and from Newark International Airport if at all possible — and consider getting dropped off and picked up at the airport.
    In addition to direct shuttle bus service from Newark Penn Station, other ground transportation options at Newark Airport include:

• Bus service via New Jersey Transit Bus Lines go28, 37, 62, 67, and 107
    • The Newark Airport express bus that connects all three passenger terminals to Grand Central Station at East 41 Street between Park Avenue and Lexington Avenue; Bryant Park at West 42 Street and Fifth Avenue; and the Port Authority Bus Terminal at West 41 Street between Eighth Avenue and Ninth Avenue
    • Taxi, car and van service for connections between the airport and locations throughout New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania

If you use the shuttle bus service, you are strongly urged to allow for extra time and be prepared for possible delays. Regular ticket fees will apply for service between the airport and Penn Station in Newark. Shuttle bus travel from terminal to terminal, and between terminals, parking and rental car areas is free of charge.
    The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will have additional customer care representatives — easily identified by their red jackets — available in key locations to assist customers throughout the service suspension.
    I remember when I had top-tier elite level status with Continental Airlines and used to park my car at Newark Airport regularly. Most flights operated by Continental Airlines were accessed at Terminal C; and although there was shuttle bus service between the long-term economy parking lot near Terminal C — this was before there was an AirTrain — I would park my car near this hole in the fence which someone created and I would simply walk the couple of minutes to Terminal C. It was so easy and quick.
    I wonder if that hole in the fence is still there. It would come in really handy during the suspension of the operation of the AirTrain…

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Diaz For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information