Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Extended vacation ! Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Family of Dominican Republic prison hell mum in £30k fight for justice

24 Feb 2013 00:01 Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

Locked in a prison cell with two other women more than 4,000 miles from her children and family is a world away from the life Nicole Reyes dreamed of when she moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

click link for full story

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...n-hell-2496063
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Re: Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Extended vacation ! Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

24 Feb 2013 00:01 Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

Click to see pic

Locked in a prison cell with two other women more than 4,000 miles from her children and family is a world away from the life Nicole Reyes dreamed of when she moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

click link for full story

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...n-hell-2496063
    Thanks thats just about the most awful thing I read in a while

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,303 Times in 1,242 Posts

Its stories like this that make me question if it is worth coming to the DR at all. All it takes is one mistake and you can be fucked for life. Its scary that the justice system down here is so fucked up.

On the other side of the coin. What kind of woman sends her pre teen children away and stays in the DR without them? Her number 1 priority should have been her kids! When they wanted to go back home, she should have gotten on a plane and went with them.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

They should be a lot more to the story there to many holes. You don't accidentally run over your husband very often...

She lives in rd and she knows if you get in trouble you will sit in jail for 3-6months before you even get seen by the judge.

Also 6months and 30k euros! come on that is way enough to pay off the fam of the victim.

no disrespect to the fam and victim but this is a puff piece by that journalist. There has to be a lot more to it
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 118 Posts

To say this is fucked up would be an understatement. I'm with BLB though, there is more to this story than is being told. And I quote Judge Judy, "if it doesn't make sense, it isn't true". Ok, the husband had no lights on his moto but why in the hell was she following him so close that her jeep could touch the bike?

And people in the US think it's crazy bullshit that you can be held 24-48 hours for questioning without being charged.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Majicman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

For those who fear clicking on links, lol:

24 Feb 2013 00:01

Over the past seven months, Cardiff mum Nicole Reyes has lost everything – her husband, her home and her freedom.

Living on a diet of prunes and crackers, she has spent the last nightmarish seven months in jail, first in the Puerto Plata part of the island and now in Santiago, after being arrested on suspicion of killing her husband.

But many months down the line and her mother Jeannette Clements, from Rumney in Cardiff, says the authorities have not yet charged her with any crime.

Nicole was arrested after her husband Jorge, 38, died in a crash on July 10 last year.

Jeannette explained how Nicole had been to visit friends at a hotel that night.

She said: “He was on his motorbike and she was in a Jeep.

“He was travelling in the middle of the road and she told him to get over to the other side because it was dangerous.”

She said he moved over but that some cars were coming the other way and so she slightly moved over but tipped the back end of the bike.

Jeannette, 61, said: “He’d always be laughing and joking on his motorbike. But he had no crash helmet on and no lights.”

She said her daughter realised he was under the Jeep and was screaming to people standing nearby for help.

But Jeannette claimed the culture there is not to help during an accident for fear of becoming involved or blamed.

She said Nicole, 37, asked police to take her to the hospital but that she was instead taken to the police station where officers told her Jorge was dead.

For the first six weeks, Jeanette said her daughter was kept in a prison in Puerto Plata.

She said: "She saw people being beaten and people shackled against the wall on chains."

She said the prison had no windows, that her daughter had to sleep on the floor with a bucket in the corner for a toilet.

Jeannette said they even had to send money so Nicole would be fed. In the meantime, Nicole hasn’t even had the chance to grieve for her husband.

“All she keeps saying is ‘I want to come out and grieve for him’,” she said. “If he was alive he would go crazy about the way she’s been treated. He idealised her and he loved the children.”

The couple met after Nicole, her children Leah and Luke and parents Jeannette and Michael, moved to the Dominican Republic nine years ago.

She worked as a holiday rep for Thomas Cook and the pair married a year later in May 2007.

She said her daughter was highly thought of and did a lot of charity work there.

Jeannette said Nicole and Jorge were very much in love and that he idolised his wife and her children.

“They had an amazing life and were so happy,” she said.

Jeannette and Michael moved back to Cardiff about five years ago when Leah, 17, and Luke, 16, missed life at home.

The children now live with their grandparents in Rumney and speak to their mum on the phone every day.

She said they are doing "fantastic" but said they are doing it for her sake.

She said: "Leah tells Nicole to keep her chin up but Nicole said it should be me saying that not my daughter telling me.

"We all have our off days, some days I can't even get out of bed."

Jeannette said the phone calls are the only thing keeping Nicole going.

She said: “My daughter is in a bad way, she’s very low. I come off the phone and cry. I can’t believe she’s in that position. The only thing keeping her going now is ringing here.”

Jeannette said she rings four times around lunchtime and another four times at night – at a cost of around £8 a day.

Jeannette said: “She said she has never felt so alone and then apologises that it’s costing more money. But the money doesn’t matter. If I have got to sell the house I’ll sell the house and we would do that. The most important thing is her life. Being a Christian person I wouldn’t be doing all this if I knew she wasn’t innocent.”

Jeannette said she and her husband have spent around £30,000 over the last seven months and that any money is now “exhausted”.

She said this has included thousands of pounds on Nicole’s legal fees as her lawyer appeals to the Supreme Court to get her case moved to another court because of fears of corruption.

But Jeannette said this could take months and so Nicole faces more time waiting in jail.

The couple also had to pay for security to look after Nicole’s home and the home they had bought out there.

Jeannette said: “She had three dogs and left the house that night expecting to go back there later.”

But despite paying around £600 a month for security the couple flew out in December to find both homes had been stripped of everything.

Jeannette said: “She can never go back there. She’s lost everything. Her husband, her dogs and her home.”

The couple sold the properties so they could use the money to help Nicole.

But the couple said they were devastated when the cash cheque, along with the rest of their hand luggage, was stolen from the airport and said they were told it had been cashed in America.

They also have to pay for a doctor to see Nicole and her medication, after she was recently diagnosed with a series of conditions involving inflammation of the bowel.

She added: "We were told her intestine is infected with bacteria. She has also put on a stone in weight because her body is so swollen from the infection."

Jeannette and Michael are now appealing for help in trying to get their daughter back to the UK.

“I want to do anything I possibly can to get my daughter out of the conditions she’s in.

“If she has to stay in prison could they get her to this country, because I know it’s not going to happen overnight, and look at the evidence. We’ve got enough to show that this was an accident.

“If it was held in this country, I know my daughter would walk away anyway because of the evidence.”

She said she has even considered taking her daughter’s plight to Prime Minister David Cameron.

She said: “I have thought about going to stand outside Number 10 to explain the situation.

“I know my daughter is innocent and I will do anything in my power to get her out.

“I would appeal to anyone who can help to get her back here.”

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

sad story mon........evidently the cops think they had an argument......
    and the wife was chasing the husband and knocked him off the bike and then ran over him.....

there is a lot for saying for using taxis etc....versus maybe having some drinks(not saying they did)
    and then getting on a scooter or drive a car....things happen real quick in paradise.....trust mi
    one of the major reasons mi never got a car or a scooter this winter.....because of this plus taxis were cheap......

not surprised about the house being stripped.......that is what happens when nobody has your back in paradise.....

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    sad story mon........evidently the cops think they had an argument......
    and the wife was chasing the husband and knocked him off the bike and then ran over him.....

there is a lot for saying for using taxis etc....versus maybe having some drinks(not saying they did)
    and then getting on a scooter or drive a car....things happen real quick in paradise.....trust mi
    one of the major reasons mi never got a car or a scooter this winter.....because of this plus taxis were cheap......

not surprised about the house being stripped.......that is what happens when nobody has your back in paradise.....
    or you are a farang and he is a local and you just ran over him and killed him
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

It is a horrible story and we all know the justice system is terrible to say the least there. I know the embassies can't do much regarding short terms stays "pending investigation", but thought that they may at least be able to help see that she was going to be charged after some months passed at least.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here is a link with several short videos showing the all out efforts the family is making having fundraisers and lobbying the highest levels of the U.K. government for intervention.

Two points I'd like to make.

1. This girl has a really Nice Rack and IMHO a very cute face and body too.

2. People reasoning that there must be more to the story really don't understand the Dominican Legal System.

This is pattern procedure for what happens when a foreigner has a car accident and a Dominican is
    killed accident or not.

If you read the above story it correctly states that people (Dominicans) do not stop if they witness a car
    accidents for fear that they will be charged with involvement and these are Dominicans. They understand the
    system.

Trying to rationalize this by thinking it doesn't make sense so there must be more to the story is an indication
    that one has not fully come to terms with yet ....This is The Dominican Republic ...and NOTHING rarely makes
    sense when compared to western civilization procedures. Words like logic, fairness, justice Do not apply.
    Remember in some Dominican prisons if nobody from the outside brings you food you do not eat because they
    will not feed you. Does that make sense ?

Most people, myself being one do not have a family or friend support system like this girl does back home that would be as politically savvy and persistent and so I (you) would be fucked worse than she is. Allot of the people who you would be counting on at such a time would be so overwhelmed, befuddled, and confused by their first interaction with The Dominican Republic and its Legal system they would feel totally helpless and powerless and throw their hands up in frustration in short order.

In the end I'm not even sure if all her families efforts will have any effect and if she was left to her own devices with no help would be let out in the same time. Whenever that may be.

Click Link

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/topic/dominican-republic/

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    They should be a lot more to the story there to many holes. You don't accidentally run over your husband very often...

She lives in rd and she knows if you get in trouble you will sit in jail for 3-6months before you even get seen by the judge.

Also 6months and 30k euros! come on that is way enough to pay off the fam of the victim.

no disrespect to the fam and victim but this is a puff piece by that journalist. There has to be a lot more to it
    There was a thread on DR1 about this a while ago and there is a lot more to this story. The same can be said for just about any event that hits the news in the DR .

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

If you read the above story it correctly states that people (Dominicans) do not stop if they witness a car
    accidents for fear that they will be charged with involvement and these are Dominicans. They understand the
    system.
    Can't say that's ever been my observations. I've seen them cause traffic jams and other potential accidents stopping to "help" and stand in the way trying to get a look at what's happening.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Can't say that's ever been my observations. I've seen them cause traffic jams and other potential accidents stopping to "help" and stand in the way trying to get a look at what's happening.
    They help by throwing an injured person in the back of a pick up or on a moto, regardless of their injuries.

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    They help by throwing an injured person in the back of a pick up or on a moto, regardless of their injuries.

If an accident takes place inside a large municipality/city or on a major heavily traveled road the Dominicans become emboldened and will usually stop or of course if they personally know the individual. When something happens in the campo or on a small road with nobody else around chances become much less that someone will stop. They are terrified that the next person to arrive will tell the police that when they got there this guy was laying bleeding and you were the only one around.

To this day I'll never forget the sight some 6+ years ago of being in a guaga in route to Jarabacoa. We came across a guy in his fifties maybe 60 on the side of the road convulsing with foam coming out of his mouth and bleeding from his head. Everyone just kept going but the guaga driver, I can only guess feeling emboldened having 15 passengers as witnesses stopped. Then other cars stopped when they seen he did.

People got on their cells and started calling the police but nobody went near him. I wanted to take a shirt out of my pack and use it to slow the bleeding but I followed the locals lead and stood back. Within minutes like a miracle coming the opposite way from over the mountain top an ambulance appeared coming directly to us. We all new it was a coincidence and people left their vehicles to stop it.

The ambulance attendants got out looked at the guy and explained they could not touch him until the police arrived and made a report. We remained there and the guy just bleed out and died before the police or anyone else arrived. I still have the images of him in my mind till this day.

It was that day and that experience that opened my eyes and I began to really comprehend just how backwards of a society the island of Hispaniola truly is.
    Last edited by ROVER; 04-14-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

The ambulance attendants got out looked at the guy and explained they could not touch him until the police arrived
    You know, as hard as it might be to believe, for my first 3 or 4 years in Puerto Plata I didn't think they had ambulances. It took that long before I saw the first one.

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

The contrast between the DR and the USA for emerg medical attention is pretty incredible..
    People bleeding out on the side of the road before anyone will touch them.. Not providing services IN hospitals for life threathening injuries til they have proof of payment.
    and here in the usa, an illegal can get his fingers mangled in a Kitchen mix machine (non life threathening) . walks into a hospital, gets $185,000 of Hospital service including a Plastic surgeon (thats a real example btw) , and just walks away from the Bill and the rest of us just pay for it..
    Amazing.
    Somewhere in the middle of those 2 extremes one would think would be happy medium ..
    really makes your think though... Kind of scary they would deliberately let another human being die on the side of the road like a Dog.

29. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 183 Posts

Nobody should want to be in a foreign prison without any bail or pending release date. She may not even speak fluent Spanish but the longer she is in prison she will be very fluent. The story is terrible and the fact that she may have not been able to explain herself and was taken to the police station before going to the hospital. Who knows what she said to the police or what the police thought she said or interpreted. The story does not even say if she had a lawyer shortly after they held her at the police station. There probably is more to the story but either way when you are unfamiliar with another country's legal system and a police force where there are few Sherlock Holmes, it is just scary to be locked up and no one has charged you for a crime. She is damn near hospitalized with bacteria growing in her intestines and corrupt security how do you pay around £600 a month for security and they still find that the homes have been stripped of everything. Horrible story.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leaseno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

UPDATE

Last week 4/7/2013 marks the 9 month of her imprisonment in a Dominican Jail without yet a charge being filed against her.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

UPDATE

Last week 4/7/2013 marks the 9 month of her imprisonment in a Dominican Jail without yet a charge being filed against her.
    Maybe shoe should have hired a lawyer or something?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Maybe shoe should have hired a lawyer or something?

Had you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island."

and you also would have read

" The family of a Cardiff mother-of-two who is in jail on a Caribbean island say they need to raise £65,000 so that she can return home.

Nicole Reyes, who is originally from Rumney, has been in prison for nine months without charge following an incident in which her husband died.
    Jeannette Clements has recently returned from the Dominican Republic where she saw her daughter Nicole in prison, where she says conditions were poor.
    She also met the family of Nicole's husband Jorges, who died when the car she was driving home hit the motorbike he was travelling on.
    Nicole Reyes is due in court on April 10th. Jeannette says that the family have now agreed to drop the charges before that hearing if they receive £65,000. "

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment....

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information