Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Re: Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I read ZERO about this case on DR1.. not a single thing. I hardly go to DR1 at all. and when i do its for INFO about some travel related matter.
    So that is a HUGE incorrect assumption on your part.

everything I said was from me, based on facts & what was written in articles posted Right here on ISOC.

I have NO other interest in the case & was not really looking to debate you, or challenge your opinion, other than to get you to look at this from another angle than " oh she COULD be innocent, she deserves this and that ".
    our opinions dont matter. its their system
    Judge I feel allot of emotion in your post. Please .. reread all my posts I never ever said I think she is innocent or deserves this that or anything. I likewise don't want to debate that point because it is meaningless to me.

The only thing that makes this case even newsworthy to me is is how this preventive detention is being used in her case.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being cha

Rover,
    Emotion, Agaist HER ? YES, correct.
    But certainly not against you .
    My opinion is she is a foolish, arrogant, lying bitch, and can rot in hell for all i care. maybe thats what you sensed ?
    You stated everyone deserves a fair trial, yes ? thats what I meant by "she deserves this and that" ?? ..

I said, they do it different, shes lucky she is alive , IMO. not saying its right how they physically treating her though.

I appreciate your point of view..i am merely stating that i think you are looking at it from the wrong angle. or rather too narrow an agle.
    nothing more. but now you say you are not even interested in the case itself ?

As to preventative custody and how its used.
    I would say this is the PERFECT example of them using it correctly if EVER there was one.
    Although I dont agree with the Squalor conditions, noone deserves that, not even serial killers, i guess, if you believe in Treating a human like a human and not a dog.
    but thats a different topic, no ?

I enjoy all your useful posts.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being cha

Thank you Judge and I enjoy your posts as well. See you in December I hope for a frosty.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hey Rover,

Just thought id say how much i like your profile pic.

Thats a fine ass and pussy right there!

Wish I had met her!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Parents of woman jailed in Dominican Republic to meet Foreign Office after bail is set at £147,000

30 Oct 2013 10:55 Nicole Reyes has spent more than a year in prison in the Dominican Republic after being accused of causing the death of her husband. Her parents are due to meet with staff at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office this morning

Nicole Reyes with her husband Jorges
    The family of a woman locked up in jail in the Dominican Republic for more than a year must raise £147,000 to secure her release on bail but fear she could still face 30 years behind bars if convicted.
    Former travel rep, Nicole Reyes, 37, denies killing her husband Jorge, 38, in a crash between her Jeep and his motorbike on the island in July last year.
    After spending the last 15 months in prison on the island, the mother-of-two has now had the offer of bail.
    Her lawyer Eduardo Trueba said this was set at RD$10m, the equivalent of around £147,000, at a hearing in the Puerto Plata part of the island on Friday.
    But her mother Jeannette Clements said she was told the bail money, if raised, will not be repaid even if she is cleared by the courts and that she would not receive any compensation for her time already spent in prison.

Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes Having already paid many thousands of pounds on legal fees, food supplies, phone calls and medication, Mrs Clements and her husband Mike are now desperately trying to raise the money for her bail.
    The couple, from Rumney in Cardiff, said any money they have left from their savings and earnings will need to be used on the ongoing lawyers’ fees as Mrs Reyes prepares to face trial on November 28.

They are asking for donations towards the bail amount so they can get their daughter to a private health clinic.
    Mrs Clements said her daughter’s intestine is infected with bacteria and she has put on two stone in weight, despite only eating around 1,400 calories a day, because of swelling.
    Mr Trueba said: “The bail was set at RD$10,000,000.00. This amount, while high, is not unusual and we have seen it set in other cases, as well as even higher amounts.

"On the hearing set for the 28th, we anticipate that the trial will finally go through and that after the said hearing, the case may be ready to receive judgment in the first instance. As to the evidence, the court has been adamant that it will not receive part of the evidence we filed, erroneously arguing that we filed it out of time.

"This is something that we will fight during the hearing, but that most likely we will need to include this with a subsequent appeal of the judgment to be rendered by the said court, which we anticipate will not be favourable towards Mrs Reyes.”
    Mrs Clements said that if this happens they fear Nicole will be convicted and will remain in prison for the next 30 years. She said: “If Nicole gets 30 years, how are we going to keep her there? In the last two months we have spent £500 on prescriptions alone.”

Mr and Mrs Clements, together with Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty, met with officials from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London yesterday to discuss Mrs Reyes’ case.
    Mrs Clements described the meeting as “quite fruitful” and said they were told that many of the issues they raised would be looked into.

A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are aware that a British national, Nicole Reyes, was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
    “We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family since her detention and we continue to do so.”

Mrs Clements said Nicole would like to receive letters of support to help boost her morale which can be emailed to freenicolereyes@live.co.uk
    An account has been set up with the Principality Building Society for donations with the account number 90653535, sort code 20-18-15 and reference number 144464908 which has to be included.

Can Mr. Happy or someone else knowledgeable about this comment as to if this is the standard D.R. legal system practice that bail money is not returned even upon acquittal of all charges.

147,000 Euro's comes out to $200,000 USD.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Parents of woman jailed in Dominican Republic to meet Foreign Office after bail is set at £147,000

30 Oct 2013 10:55 Nicole Reyes has spent more than a year in prison in the Dominican Republic after being accused of causing the death of her husband. Her parents are due to meet with staff at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office this morning

Click to see pic Nicole Reyes with her husband Jorges
    The family of a woman locked up in jail in the Dominican Republic for more than a year must raise £147,000 to secure her release on bail but fear she could still face 30 years behind bars if convicted.
    Former travel rep, Nicole Reyes, 37, denies killing her husband Jorge, 38, in a crash between her Jeep and his motorbike on the island in July last year.
    After spending the last 15 months in prison on the island, the mother-of-two has now had the offer of bail.
    Her lawyer Eduardo Trueba said this was set at RD$10m, the equivalent of around £147,000, at a hearing in the Puerto Plata part of the island on Friday.
    But her mother Jeannette Clements said she was told the bail money, if raised, will not be repaid even if she is cleared by the courts and that she would not receive any compensation for her time already spent in prison.

Click to see pic Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes Having already paid many thousands of pounds on legal fees, food supplies, phone calls and medication, Mrs Clements and her husband Mike are now desperately trying to raise the money for her bail.
    The couple, from Rumney in Cardiff, said any money they have left from their savings and earnings will need to be used on the ongoing lawyers’ fees as Mrs Reyes prepares to face trial on November 28.

They are asking for donations towards the bail amount so they can get their daughter to a private health clinic.
    Mrs Clements said her daughter’s intestine is infected with bacteria and she has put on two stone in weight, despite only eating around 1,400 calories a day, because of swelling.
    Mr Trueba said: “The bail was set at RD$10,000,000.00. This amount, while high, is not unusual and we have seen it set in other cases, as well as even higher amounts.

"On the hearing set for the 28th, we anticipate that the trial will finally go through and that after the said hearing, the case may be ready to receive judgment in the first instance. As to the evidence, the court has been adamant that it will not receive part of the evidence we filed, erroneously arguing that we filed it out of time.

"This is something that we will fight during the hearing, but that most likely we will need to include this with a subsequent appeal of the judgment to be rendered by the said court, which we anticipate will not be favourable towards Mrs Reyes.”
    Mrs Clements said that if this happens they fear Nicole will be convicted and will remain in prison for the next 30 years. She said: “If Nicole gets 30 years, how are we going to keep her there? In the last two months we have spent £500 on prescriptions alone.”

Mr and Mrs Clements, together with Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty, met with officials from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London yesterday to discuss Mrs Reyes’ case.
    Mrs Clements described the meeting as “quite fruitful” and said they were told that many of the issues they raised would be looked into.

A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “We are aware that a British national, Nicole Reyes, was charged in July 2012 and has since been held in detention pending trial.
    “We have been providing consular assistance to Mrs Reyes and her family since her detention and we continue to do so.”

Mrs Clements said Nicole would like to receive letters of support to help boost her morale which can be emailed to freenicolereyes@live.co.uk
    An account has been set up with the Principality Building Society for donations with the account number 90653535, sort code 20-18-15 and reference number 144464908 which has to be included.

Can Mr. Happy or someone else knowledgeable about this comment as to if this is the standard D.R. legal system practice that bail money is not returned even upon acquittal of all charges.

Who gets compensated for time spent in prison? (Seems to me there is a case that she purposely ran him over).

Do you post similar articles in other sections of the ISOC for other countries? (i.e. Gore photos and bad news that occurs in Colombia or elsewhere in the world?) Thanks.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post

Umm... gotta check with my Lawyer friends on this one. I'm pretty sure it's the same as in the states, where you lose what you pay a bail bondsman, but if you put up the whole shebang, you get it back with an acquittal.

I'll confirm and let you know.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Umm... gotta check with my Lawyer friends on this one. I'm pretty sure it's the same as in the states, where you lose what you pay a bail bondsman, but if you put up the whole shebang, you get it back with an acquittal.

I'll confirm and let you know.
    Here, bail is only to guarantee appearance of the defendant. If you put it all up, as long as the defendant appears and the case is finished, the money is returned, reguardless of outcome. Guilty or not guilty. If you're found guilty, they usually take out the fines and court costs.

16. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

18 Months held in a Dominican Jail ... .... Will she learn her fate next week ?

From Dominican Today:

Jailed UK national’s parents to come to Dom. Rep.: walesonline.co.uk

Nicole, Jorge Reyes. Photo Wales News Service/capitalbay.com

Santo Domingo.- The parents of British national Nicole Reyes, detained in a Santiago jail for 18 months plan to fly out to be by her side when she discovers her fate next week, outlet walesonline.co.uk reports Wednesday.
    “Jeannette and Mike Clements will travel to the Dominican Republic this week ahead of their daughter’s trial for homicide.”

Reyes, 39, is charged in the death of her husband Jorge Reyes’ death in July 2012 and has remained behind bars on the island ever since, always claiming her innocence, calling it a traffic accident.
    “Nicole, from Rumney in Cardiff, will now appear in court on Tuesday after the last hearing in November was adjourned. Her parents fear she could be sentenced to between 25 and 30 years in prison if convicted,” the UK outlet sad.

Clements, quoted by walesonline.co.uk, said Nicole will have to wear a bulletproof vest at the court hearing and that they will have police protection because of safety fears. “She said Nicole’s lawyer has told them there is no reason for Tuesday’s hearing to be adjourned.”

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Got sentenced this morning. 12 anos.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 634 Posts

Do you have a link to confirm?

Due to the sketchy reporting by DR "media" DR1 posters were debating whether she was convicted and sentenced, or whether this was the prosecutor recommending 12 anos prior to the "trial" taking place.

I read that it was a hearing, can't find any information on if they had an actual trial.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madvillian For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From Mail Online

British mother jailed for 12 years for running over her husband on Caribbean island despite insisting the crash was an accident

• Nicole Reyes, 38, was driving home alongside Jorge in Dominican Republic
    • Her car hit coconut water salesman's motorbike and he died in July 2012
    • She said he had swerved to avoid another car - but was accused of murder
    • Mrs Reyes, from Cardiff, jailed today for 12 years for voluntary homicide
    • She has been held in a 12ft by 12ft cell with 15 women for 18 months

By Dan Bloom
    PUBLISHED: 14:17 EST, 4 February 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 4 February 2014

A British mother who said she accidentally ran over her husband on a Caribbean island has been jailed for 12 years for his killing.
    Holiday rep Nicole Reyes, 38, was driving home from a night out in the Dominican Republic next to coconut water salesman Jorge when her car hit his motorbike, leaving him dead.
    She insisted he had swerved to avoid an oncoming car and hit her by accident - but police in the Caribbean accused her of murder.

+4

+4

Accused: Nicole Reyes (pictured left and right with her husband) has been jailed for 12 years for killing her husband Jorge in a road crash in the Dominican Republic in July 2012, despite insisting it was an accident

Today Mrs Reyes was jailed for 12 years after being held with 15 other women in a 12ft by 12ft cell for 18 months.

Her family said she was convicted of voluntary homicide, believed to be the Dominican Republic's equivalent of murder. She had initially faced a jail term of up to 30 years.

More...

Mrs Reyes' mother Jeanette Clements and stepfather Mike were in court in the city of Puerto Plata for the two and a half hour hearing and have vowed to appeal the verdict.
    They are meeting with British diplomats to fight for her release.

Mrs Clements, 61, said: 'I have told Nicole to keep her chin up. I really did believe she would be coming home with me this week. We are going to appeal.

+4

Distraught: Mrs Reyes' mother Jeanette Clements, pictured, insists her daughter is innocent

'She has problems with her kidneys. She is ill and needs medical help. I don’t think she’s going to cope in that prison.
    'She was in a tiny room which was only about 12ft by 12ft and there were 15 women in there.
    'She was literally sleeping on the floor, there was a bucket in the corner and they were not allowed out at all.
    'She is innocent but she has no chance of a fair trial out there. All we can do is stay strong for her.'
    Mrs Reyes first visited the island on holiday before taking a holiday rep job with Thomas Cook, where she met her husband, a coconut water salesman, in 2006.

+4

Mrs Clements said: 'She is innocent but she has no chance of a fair trial out there. All we can do is stay strong'

24. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Man fuck that Bitch.

She should have just fired him and went out and got another one.

Killing the Mothafucka was just a bit over the top, don't you think?
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Man fuck that Bitch.

She should have just fired him and went out and got another one.

Killing the Mothafucka was just a bit over the top, don't you think?

Cosign...
    Been saying that since I read she ran over him not ONCE, but TWICE... that just don't happen by "accident"..
    This was clearly vehicular murder..
    and if this was a dude killing a chica, everyone would be asking for his head ..but cause she a woman she expecting special treatment ?
    Sorry bitch.. You KILLT that boy,, now you gonna pay.

I would have a lot more respect for her, if she at least came clean, and begged for forgiveness and showed some remorse..
    But all this bullshit about the DR System mistreating her and not able to get a fair Trial . .

Imagine again, a Dude running a Chica over with his Car... TWICE... Visualize the brutality of that for a moment,
    you know they would have chopped off his nuts..

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madvillian View Post
    Do you have a link to confirm?

Due to the sketchy reporting by DR "media" DR1 posters were debating whether she was convicted and sentenced, or whether this was the prosecutor recommending 12 anos prior to the "trial" taking place.

I read that it was a hearing, can't find any information on if they had an actual trial.

Your confusion is not unwarranted. If you judge justice by the standards of any civilized nation one cannot imagine how this woman was convicted of anything let alone murder.

Her entire "trial" took 2 hours and 11 minutes... ...that includes

#1. Opening statements by both sides.

#2. The Prosecutor proving their case.

#3. The defense putting on their case to rebut the prosecutions case.

#4. Closing arguments by both sides.

#5. In between all this objections with sidebars etc.

One thing that may have speed up this case was that the prosecution did not put on the stand even one eye witness but was still able to obtain a conviction.

I started this thread to follow the legal journey from arrest to verdict of a foreign national and see what could be gleamed of the Dominican Legal System when a foreign national is charged with such a serious offense.

While some are pleased that this woman was convicted and certain of her guilt I have no opinion or preference of either her guilt or innocence as again my only interest was to follow the legal process as it evolved.

I have learned several things for sure from following this case:

One is that the Preventive Detention measure used by the prosecution seems to be boundless as the law states it has a 9 month maximum limit however this case shows that 18 months is an option available to the prosecutor.

The other is that similar to the U.S. legal fees can drive one into bankruptcy but additionally the fees and terms agreed to with lawyers in the D.R. seem to change as the case proceeds and as with preventive detention seem to have no bounds.

Lastly ... standards of burden of proof on the prosecution beyond a reasonable doubt seem not to be a realistic expectation as a
    2 hours :11 minute murder trial as hard as it is to believe may be the best a foreign national can expect given this was what was allotted to a case followed by the international press throughout Europe.
    This of course does not imply that Dominican Nationals receives any better form of justice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Dominican Today

British woman gets 12 years in prison on husband’s murder(Update)

Zoom Picture
    Update: Conviction confirmed

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.- British National Nicole Reyes will spend12 years in prison, convicted on Tuesday in a hearing at the Puerto Plata province Collegiate Court, officials at the Puerto Plata office of the Prosecutor confirmed today.
    The hearing of the trial for the murder of Reyes' husband Jorge Quintanilla was headed by a three judge panel court.
    A source in the Puerto Plata court said the hearing began at 9:45am, and concluded at 11:56am.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by ROVER; 02-06-2014 at 01:44 AM.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

Interesting your point of view Rover - I too have followed this - fairly closely - from the English side.

I started thinking that it was a horrible accident and the family were trying to gain money from "the gringo" - however - over 2 holidays in the time she was locked up this came up in conversation with local ex pats, some of them knew her and her husband personally.

Sadly - not one person had a good word to say about this women - and they were a mixture of nationalities.

What doent seem to be reported in the media - but "common knowledge" with at least the ex pats that I spoke with was that she ran him over twice.
    As in - so i was told, reversed back over him.

Now - knocking him off the bike - that could be a horrible accident, but stopping and reversing over him?

But your main point - less than 3 hours to convict - totally correct - doesnt sound right does it.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstar View Post
    Now - knocking him off the bike - that could be a horrible accident, but stopping and reversing over him?

But your main point - less than 3 hours to convict - totally correct - doesnt sound right does it.
    that's a slam dunk...........case proved......... next
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    that's a slam dunk...........case proved......... next
    Yup!

Soon as she put that vehicle in reverse she sealed her fate.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information