Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 04/2013 - Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Re: Extended Vacation ! .. Locked up in D.R. for 7 months without being charged

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    If you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island."

and you also would have read

" The family of a Cardiff mother-of-two who is in jail on a Caribbean island say they need to raise £65,000 so that she can return home.

Nicole Reyes, who is originally from Rumney, has been in prison for nine months without charge following an incident in which her husband died.
    Jeannette Clements has recently returned from the Dominican Republic where she saw her daughter Nicole in prison, where she says conditions were poor.
    She also met the family of Nicole's husband Jorges, who died when the car she was driving home hit the motorbike he was travelling on.
    Nicole Reyes is due in court on April 10th. Jeannette says that the family have now agreed to drop the charges before that hearing if they receive £65,000. "

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment.

To be honest, I really don't care. How many ISOC guys were held for 9 months, none.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Had you clicked the links and read the story you would have read

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island."

and you also would have read

" The family of a Cardiff mother-of-two who is in jail on a Caribbean island say they need to raise £65,000 so that she can return home.

Nicole Reyes, who is originally from Rumney, has been in prison for nine months without charge following an incident in which her husband died.
    Jeannette Clements has recently returned from the Dominican Republic where she saw her daughter Nicole in prison, where she says conditions were poor.
    She also met the family of Nicole's husband Jorges, who died when the car she was driving home hit the motorbike he was travelling on.
    Nicole Reyes is due in court on April 10th. Jeannette says that the family have now agreed to drop the charges before that hearing if they receive £65,000. "

Now erase your post and this one so as to spare yourself an embarrassment....
    I think he means a DOMINICAN LAWYER (with connections) .. not some uptight English Twat ( no offense to brits)... but that stuffy lawywer does not sound like he has an effing CLUE how things really work in the DR. it will take him years to get her out. Dom's are macho fucks, they wont bend unless they get pressure from above within their own country.

with the right connections u can be on the next plane OUT with a dead hooker in your hotel room.. just the way it is.
    I highly doubt her "husband" Jorge or whatever his name is , had any connections either. its not even about money, from the little I read.
    Its all posturing, and the Dom's will not bend to some brit Barrister or whatever he calls himself ..its not his country.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I think he means a DOMINICAN LAWYER (with connections) .. not some uptight English Twat ( no offense to brits)... but that stuffy lawywer does not sound like he has an effing CLUE how things really work in the DR. it will take him years to get her out. Dom's are macho fucks, they wont bend unless they get pressure from above within their own country.

with the right connections u can be on the next plane OUT with a dead hooker in your hotel room.. just the way it is.
    I highly doubt her "husband" Jorge or whatever his name is , had any connections either. its not even about money, from the little I read.
    Its all posturing, and the Dom's will not bend to some brit Barrister or whatever he calls himself ..its not his country.
    From what I read I believe they do have a Dominican Lawyer

Quote from story

" The lawyer representing a woman from Cardiff, who has been held in a jail in the Dominican Republic for nine months, has told ITV News that they are trying to move her trial to another town on the island.
    Eduardo Trueba says they don't believe they can get a fair trial because of local media reporting of the case. He says it is very unusual to appeal for a case to be moved, and they would need "strong proof for this to happen."

"It's not going that well. We are actually trying to move the case. The reason for this is that a very bad atmosphere has been created against Nicole Reyes, and basically the whole town thinks that Nicole is guilty.
    Eduardo Trueba, Nicole's Lawyer"

Google search shows he's from Santiago. see link below

http://www.oficinajmcabralybaez.com....uardo_a_trueba

I hear of people talking about getting a well connected lawyer in the D.R. and he/she can get you a get out of jail free card for anything. While I'm sure that's true I think the average gringo will find themselves in a very different situation. As stated on Dominican Watchdog

"Dominican Watchdog strongly recommends that you do not start a lawsuit unless it’s the last and final option. Lawyers in the Dominican Republic are substantially overcharging foreigners with as much as 500-800 % and they do not have a malpractice insurance.

Furthermore it’s not unusual that lawyers from both sides are “operating under an unwritten mutual agreement” of complicating court cases especially among foreigners. The reason for that is that the longer the case will run, the more they will be able to charge their clients."

Unless you or a family member are very well connected or personally know a well connected Dominican Lawyer for a very long time I'm with Dominican Watchdog on this one and suspect from my experience with Dominicans he/she will be more inclined to drag out this giant payday for all they can rather than working expeditiously and calling in favors on your behalf.

P.S. can't say U.S. lawyers are much better in this regard either.
    Last edited by ROVER; 04-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's now 10 months and this girl is still being held in a Dominican prison without a charge being filed against her.

The family held fundraisers and raised the 40,000 Euros ( $51,460.00 U.S.) and paid the family this agreed upon sum to drop the case so she can be freed.

Trouble is after the Dom
    inican guys family took the money either they or the D.R. police or some fiscal prick decided they now want more cash. ..... Total Scumbags.

Click link and watch the video

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/story/...free-daughter/

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

It's now 10 months and this girl is still being held in a Dominican prison without a charge being filed against her.

The family held fundraisers and raised the 40,000 Euros ( $51,460.00 U.S.) and paid the family this agreed upon sum to drop the case so she can be freed.

Trouble is after the Dom
    inican guys family took the money either they or the D.R. police or some fiscal prick decided they now want more cash. ..... Total Scumbags.

They could of hired ex-military men to break her out for that amount.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In the UK we use pounds not Euros so the amount the family, Lawyers and Police got was alot more than stated yet she still remains in Prison. It was mentioned that £600 a month was paid for security for her property, thats close to $906 a month. Yet her property still got striped of its contents.That does not sound right to me. I think the Lawyers in conjunction with the Fiscal really fucked her and her family over.

Great family this women married herself into but they were always gonna get as much as they could out of this bad situation. Silly Bitch, there is enough Carribbean and African bums living in Cardiff she could have shacked up with and got her money drained there. She knew the guy less then a year then married him. Maybe i am being a bit harsh, alot of these guys can really turn it on and make these women think they are the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Another question which sticks out, why was he on a scooter and not in the jeep? On the other hand she could be guilty.

Over a year ago a friend of mine was involved in a road accident with a guy on a motor bike in Sousa. The guy was fucked. My friend got on his phone and called his landlady, who sent her daughter who is a Lawyer over to the station. She arrives and stops the Police from throwing him in jail. She does this by speaking to the Police Captain and fisca and a deal is done.

My friend is driven to the bank by his Lawyer, $10,000 is transfered to the bank and the money is given to the Lawyer who pays all those involved in the case. She writes the Police report. All parties go to court that same day and the case is thrown out as it was found that the motor bike guy was driving recklessly.

My friend was told that if he had been put in jail before she had arrived and that if the bike guy's family lawyered up quicker and if the case had gone to Puerto Plata he would have had to pay alot more money. Alot of ifs there.

So the next time you are in Sousa and get into a jam, innocent or guilty have your Lawyer's number at hand and $10,000 to draw on if you do not want to spend time in jail. Thats why when i travel down i always have travel insurance and money in the account in case of an emergency.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wreckless For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Trouble is after the Dom

Let me see if I got this right: She kills a guy with her car.

Her family pays the victims family $51,460. You're saying that now she should be set free and forget about the murder charges?
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

Her family pays the victims family $51,460. You're saying that now she should be set free and forget about the murder charges?
    To me it seems that is how it works. Why even pay the family any money? It was an accident. How many other people does see he have to pay?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rahsta View Post
    To me it seems that is how it works. Why even pay the family any money? It was an accident. How many other people does see he have to pay?
    What makes you think it was an accident? She was drunk, they had been arguing, and she ran back and forth over the guy 2-3 times. Does that sound like an accident?
    Last edited by MrHappy; 05-17-2013 at 10:00 AM.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

When I read the first reports of this happening I figured she had a spat of temporary insanity and murdered the fellow. You just don't accidentally change direction to run over a person with your vehicle more than once. Why people now seem to want to ignore that is beyond me.

What makes you think it was an accident? She was drunk, they had been arguing, and she ran back and forth over the guy 2-3 times. Does that sound like an accident?

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Happy where did you read this ? Was it a reputable source or was it just DR1 hypothesizing ?

I never read that version anywhere but surely could of missed it.

That's what dudes family agreed to which makes me even more suspect that this is nothing more than an accident. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

Point is they agreed to this deal and then after they got the money reneged. Innocent or guilty only lesson here for the rest of us is if you get into a jam in the D.R. your fault or not buckle up its gonna be a rough ride.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Happy where did you read this ? Was it a reputable source or was it just DR1 hypothesizing ?

I never read that version anywhere but surely could of missed it.

That's what dudes family agreed to which makes me even more suspect that this is nothing more than an accident. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

Point is they agreed to this deal and then after they got the money reneged. Innocent or guilty only lesson here for the rest of us is if you get into a jam in the D.R. your fault or not buckle up its gonna be a rough ride.
    Define "reputable source" LOL...

It came out in most of the local papers, and I seem to remember seeing it on DR1 as well. But most sources were aligned on it being intentional. Eyewitnesses supposedly saw her running over him repeatedly. They were both intoxicated at the time.

In many cases of this nature the accused is given jail time and restitution to be paid. In most cases here, the family will take the money as soon as they receive an acceptable offer.

In the case of this guys family, they got a little over 2 mm waved in their face. That's more than the kid would have probably earned in a lifetime.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Maybe thats what people are not grasping.. This may not have been an accident. And if thats the case, the Dom justice system is not like ours, where for example there would be the CRIMINAL charges, and then Later the CIVIL suit.. In the civil suit here in the US is where you get monetary judgement.
    But I dont know much about the Dom justice system, but are they perhaps trying to get all parties Paid, because they KNOW she is guilty, and what would be the point of JAILING her for 20 years ? They rather collect whatever they can, and then let her go back to her country, as guilty as she may be..

IS that how it works ?
    Cuz I think people are looking at this case with an American Justice system mentality, all the while assuming she is INNOCENT, merely because she has NOT been charged yet with the Murder, or manslaughter. Im just guessing here but if the physical evidence is there, then the autorities can play this any way they want, within their system and way of doing things.

/////. If somebody intentionally murdered my brother/son etc. I wouldn't be negotiating get out of jail free money.

You see, this right here... unless you are DOMINICAN, how do you make this assumption ? they dont think like we do..
    A sum of MONEY, is worth MORE to a DOMINICAN than the guilty party spending LIFE in jail..... they get nothing from a person spending life in jail.
    with $50K , they at least GET something.. you are using 1st world Logic, in a 3rd world country..

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    You see, this right here... unless you are DOMINICAN, how do you make this assumption ? they dont think like we do..
    A sum of MONEY, is worth MORE to a DOMINICAN than the guilty party spending LIFE in jail..... they get nothing from a person spending life in jail.
    with $50K , they at least GET something.. you are using 1st world Logic, in a 3rd world country.
    I thought the exact same thing when i read that line from Rover.

The only thing i would say differently is that its not so much that the money is worth more "to a Dominican", but its worth more to a poor Dominican ... and you can probably replace "Dominican" with just about any other people if they found themselves in a similar situation.

But you're right about their thinking in their present situation. "He's dead, he's not coming back, so what's the best we can make out of this horrible situation".
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post

The only thing i would say differently is that its not so much that the money is worth more "to a Dominican", but its worth more to a poor Dominican ... and you can probably replace "Dominican" with just about any other people if they found themselves in a similar situation.

But you're right about their thinking in their present situation. "He's dead, he's not coming back, so what's the best we can make out of this horrible situation".
    And for what it's worth, Jails here are full of folks that have done their time, but can't get out because they don't have the money to pay the settlement.

One really has to live here for a while to understand how the justice and jail system works, to grasp why it really is incredibly ignorant to come down here to do any kind of illegal activity, be it pedo, drugs, robbery, etc...

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I didnt read that in the article. Where does it say that?
    I did see something about the Dominican family asking fot 65,000 dollars to drop charges.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post

Though I know there are some that would think like this I wouldn't make it a blanket statement.

People are people. The love for a brother, son, cousin, friend runs deep in a many poor or not and and justice or even vengeance is what they would want ...not money.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Though I know there are some that would think like this I wouldn't make it a blanket statement.

People are people. The love for a brother, son, cousin, friend runs deep in a many poor or not and and justice or even vengeance is what they would want ...not money.

If she did a Jodi Arias on him (slit his throat etc) , then YES of course..revenge would be the main motive.
    .. but they were both drunk, probably arguing, who knows, .. its DOMESTIC, and even if she ran him over several times, it does not sound premeditated. it was in the moment so to speak.. Happens all the time down there, but usually to women. Dominicans understand this. Not that any ones life is worth less than another persons, but one has to look at the whole picture.. Who knows maybe he was cheating on her, and she got pissed.. a very likely scenario, imo..
    .. What she did was wrong, (if it was NOT an accident), but locking her up for 20 years, won't bring him back... IMO ,the famly would much rather take the money , than the "revenge" you speak of... in a way it IS Revenge, if they could bankrupt her.

why would you assume the famlily DONT want money ? I find that much more unrealistic..

Do you remember that one Plane crash, where it was 100% the airlines fault ... Widow & families were coming out with Spreadsheets of what they thought their Spouses were worth in terms of EARNING potential over their lifetimes
    ... those families sure wasted no time going from "grieving" or "blaming" to "SHOW me the MONEY"...
    different scenario perhaps, but just saying, when people cant get their loved one back, money seems to sooth a lot of pain.
    just my .02

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

HELD IN A DOMINICAN JAIL FOR MORE THAN A YEAR NOW WITHOUT EVEN BEING CHARGED WITH A CRIME

Mum of Cardiff woman held without charge in a Dominican Republic prison for more than a year flies out to be by her side

15 Jul 2013 06:50 Jeanette Clements flies out to by near her daughter as authorities prepare to hear Nicole Reyes' case later this week

Share on print Share on email

Nicole Reyes
    The mum of a Cardiff woman being held without charge in a Dominican Republic jail has flown out to the country to be by her daughter’s side.
    Last month, mum-of-two Nicole Reyes, 37, told WalesOnline she had thought of committing suicide “many times” since being jailed more than a year ago following the death of her husband, Jorge.
    Nicole was arrested after Jorge, 38, died in a crash involving her Jeep and his motorbike on July 9 last year in the Dominican Republic – a crash she has always maintained was an accident.
    This weekend her mum, Jeanette Clements, flew out to the country, which borders Haiti, to support her daughter in a hearing on Thursday that could decide her fate.
    It comes as a bail hearing set for last week was cancelled at the last minute after hurricane warnings closed the courts.
    Now, Jeanette says the authorities have re-organised Nicole’s bail hearing for the same day her case is due to be heard – something Jeanette fears might be a sign they do not intend to grant bail to the former Thomas Cook holiday rep.

Nicole and Jorge Reyes Speaking before she left Jeanette, who lives with her husband Michael in Rumney, Cardiff – where the couple care for Nicole’s teenage children Leah and Luke – said: “There was supposed to have been a hearing on Thursday for her to go out on bail but they have now put it on the same day as the case.
    “The conditions are so bad out there that when there is a hurricane the prison floods and they all have to go to stay in the court house, with nothing but a bucket behind the desk for a toilet.
    “They were all lined up to go this time but were told then that they didn’t have to. But I’ve been told the courts were all shut anyway.”
    Despite being frustrated with the support Nicole has received from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Jeanette said they had been inundated with messages from well-wishers and thanked Cardiff South and Penarth MP Stephen Doughty for his help.

Jeanette Clements, mother of Nicole Reyes She is now hoping to raise more funds to help secure her daughter’s release and is urging supporters to sign a petition calling for Nicole to receive a fair trial.
    She added: “What we want is for this trial to happen elsewhere. If it is held there, it will not be fair.
    “So far, this petition has around 600 signatures. It’s my ambition to get it to 10,000.”
    * To sign the petition, visit www.gopetition.co.uk and search for “Nicole Reyes”.

I'm just a little confused. If reputable sources (DR1 ?) say she witnesses saw her run this guy over and then backup and run him over again and repeat this several times running him over again and again .....

Then how come the state can't get even one of these supposed witnesses and charge her ?

Just wondering ??

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Without getting into this too much again..

Dominican law dictates that a person who is suspected of committing a crime can be sent to jail for 3 months to a year as preventative custody while the case is investigated.

When the protective custody time period expires, the person is charged or let go.

This woman got 1 year protective custody. Now the fun starts.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information