Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying @ Casa Linda - Help Needed (Rental Car or Hire Driver)?

Thanks

Staying @ Casa Linda - Help Needed (Rental Car or Hire Driver)?

Three friends and I will be staying at Casa Linda for Memorial Day Weekend. We have all had multiple trips, but have never stayed away from the strip (usually NG or TL). We imagine that having a rental car would make it easy for us to come and go as we please, grab chicks, drop them off, maybe check it Cabarrette, etc. However the responsibility of having a car compounded with the stories and warnings that I have read on this site give me pause.

I would be the primary driver, I speak a little English (enough to get by, but definitely not enough to converse well with the locals), I am level headed and don't drink, but that does not guarantee we won't get into any trouble. We have considered calling taxi's as needed, but that idea does not sound appealing and leaves us at the mercy of the cab drivers.

if we don't get a rental, the next best option to me would be to get a driver with a mini-van that would stay with us each day. My searches have not yielded any recent recommendations; if anyone has a driver that they would recommend for this type of arrangement I would greatly appreciate it. Since our Spanish is limited, it would be great if they spoke a little english.

Additionally, please provide me with any recommendations that you may have about renting, taxis, or a driver.
    How much should a driver cost per day?

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kris boog For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Staying @ Casa Linda - Help Needed (Rental Car or Hire Driver)?

If you only plan on staying and driving around Sosua, I would say rent a car. Driving in Sosua is nothing. It is driving back and forth from Puerto Plata or Cabarete that can be challenging some times. When it is raining or it is night time can be trying!

If you're just staying in Sosua, skip the driver or the taxi's. The group will spend way much more money on both!

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

More convenient to get a rental imo. You can get a SUV that can squeeze 6 of you for a decent rate. 6 in case all three of you have a chica at the same time and need to make a move. I got a new SUV for $45 a day from National last week... but I frequent so they hook me up. Send a pm to El-Rey, he has some connects that can get you a rental at a decent rate or you can reserve online and pick it up at the airport. If you are picking up at the airport I suggest you reserve online or else they will rape you on the price. I use priceline. I've personally stayed at Casa Linda countless times and have rented a car every single time I've been in DR. It's literally no more than a 5 minute drive to the strip so unless you are venturing out to Cabarete, Puerto Plata or else where further you won't hurt yourself on gas either. Good luck and have fun.
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

As someone that doesn't drive anymore after a one time driving time that ended with an incident, I would say if you have any doubts about driving there, just don't do it.

Every tourist or ex-pat that I've rode with in a car I can honestly say knows how to drive well in DR. This is because those that aren't sure probably are smart enough not to do so. For some the responsibility is bigger than the convenience.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

How was my driving Hermano?

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    As someone that doesn't drive anymore after a one time driving time that ended with an incident, I would say if you have any doubts about driving there, just don't do it.

Every tourist or ex-pat that I've rode with in a car I can honestly say knows how to drive well in DR. This is because those that aren't sure probably are smart enough not to do so. For some the responsibility is bigger than the convenience.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    How was my driving Hermano?
    You're on point. Remember I said that last sentence above while you were driving.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    If you only plan on staying and driving around Sosua, I would say rent a car. Driving in Sosua is nothing. It is driving back and forth from Puerto Plata or Cabarete that can be challenging some times. When it is raining or it is night time can be trying!

If you're just staying in Sosua, skip the driver or the taxi's. The group will spend way much more money on both!
    cosigned. just one round-trip into town and back to casa linda will cost you 4-600 pesos in a taxi - two round trips will cost you as much as it would to rent a car.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, based on your responses I am leaning towards renting the car. As I said I don't drink and I am level headed. I am also a former tractor trail driver and have driven in Jamaica on many occasions.

@TNT, yes our plan is really just to make getting back and forth to the strip, supermarket, etc convenient, not to go touring the Island.

@Blazaveli, while looking online I noticed that the rental companies offered insurance to cover their vehicle, bt I did not see any to cover the other vehicle God forbid you have an accident. What type of insurance do you normally get or do you just use a credit card with insurance on it?

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kris boog For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kris boog View Post
    I am also a former tractor trail driver and have driven in Jamaica on many occasions.
    that either makes you a certified maniac.......or a very veteran driver.......lol

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    More convenient to get a rental imo. You can get a SUV that can squeeze 6 of you for a decent rate. 6 in case all three of you have a chica at the same time and need to make a move. I got a new SUV for $45 a day from National last week... but I frequent so they hook me up. Send a pm to El-Rey, he has some connects that can get you a rental at a decent rate or you can reserve online and pick it up at the airport. If you are picking up at the airport I suggest you reserve online or else they will rape you on the price. I use priceline. I've personally stayed at Casa Linda countless times and have rented a car every single time I've been in DR. It's literally no more than a 5 minute drive to the strip so unless you are venturing out to Cabarete, Puerto Plata or else where further you won't hurt yourself on gas either. Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    cosigned. just one round-trip into town and back to casa linda will cost you 4-600 pesos in a taxi - two round trips will cost you as much as it would to rent a car.
    Driving in RD is some that i know about LOL now I am pro taxi

Is the Roundtrip from the strip to casa linda 600rd? that sounds expense for one person. I can get cross town in santo domingo for 200rd. 600rd split in 6 is 100rd/each That's cheap.

Blaz is the ~$50 quote for a jeepa with or without insurance? if thats without insurance you can add another $50/day. I never spent more than $20 a day in last trip.

with taxi's:
    I didnt have to worry about accidents, the cops, drinking & driving, parking, insurance scams from the rental place, driving the whores back or picking them up

you can get a taxi guys number and call, i am sure they will get to you quickly

Having your own car has its perks but so does using taxi's

use a combo, suv in the day time and taxi's for the whore at night
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kris boog View Post
    Three friends and I will be staying at Casa Linda for Memorial Day Weekend. We have all had multiple trips, but have never stayed away from the strip (usually NG or TL). We imagine that having a rental car would make it easy for us to come and go as we please, grab chicks, drop them off, maybe check it Cabarrette, etc. However the responsibility of having a car compounded with the stories and warnings that I have read on this site give me pause.

I would be the primary driver, I speak a little English (enough to get by, but definitely not enough to converse well with the locals), I am level headed and don't drink, but that does not guarantee we won't get into any trouble. We have considered calling taxi's as needed, but that idea does not sound appealing and leaves us at the mercy of the cab drivers.

if we don't get a rental, the next best option to me would be to get a driver with a mini-van that would stay with us each day. My searches have not yielded any recent recommendations; if anyone has a driver that they would recommend for this type of arrangement I would greatly appreciate it. Since our Spanish is limited, it would be great if they spoke a little english.

Additionally, please provide me with any recommendations that you may have about renting, taxis, or a driver.
    How much should a driver cost per day?
    You meant you speak a little spanish?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandcobra For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Drive slow. I agree, Sosua is not a big deal for driving. Drive slow, keep your eyes on the road 110% of the time. Drive slow. Speed will get you in trouble. Drive slow.

Did I mention drive slow? Don't be in a hurry to get anywhere. And drive slow. Take your time.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

25. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Kris,

Driving in the Dominican Republic is just not worth it. As BLB stated, you have to deal with corrupt cops, motos, crazy driver, and don't let something happen. With that said, I never listen to my own advice. (About driving in the DR and other things.) So here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. If an accident happens, GET YOUR GRINGO ASS OUT OF THERE. It does not matter if you have insurance or it was not your fault. You are the gringo. You will sit in jail until everybody is paid off. (AND you do not want to be in a DR jail.)

2. If you get stopped by the Policia National or AMET, keep calm, be respectful and be ready to pay them off. When driving, I never keep more than 1000 pesos in my wallet. You pull this out and hand them 500 pesos. If he wants more keep shrugging and act like you don't understand. All you have is another 500 pesos. Last resort, give that to him too. If he does not speak any English, keep acting like you don't understand.

3. Insurance from the airport is a ripoff. All the airport rental companies now require a police report for the smallest scratch. Try to get AMET to write a police report for a small scratch on a rental car. (Well, if you pay the officer, he will do it.) Now if you use your insurance on your credit card, they are not going to pay for a little scratch that may have been there before you rented a car. This becomes an extra cost for renting from the airport.

So.....If you still want to rent a car, I would deal with a local guy. I normally deal with Francis. He works out of the small rental shop across from Bailys. He does not try to hold my passport and does not charge for small scratches. Send me a PM and I will look up his number. If you use WhatsApp, his number on there is 1-829-863-7973. Not sure if that is still a good number to call him on from the DR.

27. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 236 Posts

I thought the taxi rate was 200 pesos within El Batey. Split this between four guys and it is cheaper than a moto.

Has this rate gone up?

When I have gone to pick up chicas at Caribe tours, it has always been 200 pesos as well.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mho For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mho View Post
    I thought the taxi rate was 200 pesos within El Batey. Split this between four guys and it is cheaper than a moto.

Has this rate gone up?

When I have gone to pick up chicas at Caribe tours, it has always been 200 pesos as well.
    last month i asked three different taxi guys and they all said 300 pesos to go to the palms from the strip. i told them that's what i pay to go to cabarete and then just hoofed it. i had a car by the next day (1200 pesos/day for a nice honda crv).

what anyone has to know about driving in the DR is that it's like freeform avante-garde jazz. anyone could do just about anything at any time. they don't always like to use lights at night. sometimes they decide they'd rather be in your lane - while you're right next to them. they like to go fast. they like to carry all manner of things (both small and ridiculously large) on their vehicles, sometimes strapped on by twine, sometimes just by hand. motos can come out of anywhere. there are no rules of the road, just suggestions. green means go, red means whatever they decide it means when they get to it.

you have to drive defensively and aggressively at the same time. as long as you're paying attention (and i mean constant, unflagging attention) you should be fine. and stay the fuck out of puerto plata. that place is just madness.

31. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

last month i asked three different taxi guys and they all said 300 pesos to go to the palms from the strip. i told them that's what i pay to go to cabarete and then just hoofed it. i had a car by the next day (1200 pesos/day for a nice honda crv).

what anyone has to know about driving in the DR is that it's like freeform avante-garde jazz. anyone could do just about anything at any time. they don't always like to use lights at night. sometimes they decide they'd rather be in your lane - while you're right next to them. they like to go fast. they like to carry all manner of things (both small and ridiculously large) on their vehicles, sometimes strapped on by twine, sometimes just by hand. motos can come out of anywhere. there are no rules of the road, just suggestions. green means go, red means whatever they decide it means when they get to it.

you have to drive defensively and aggressively at the same time. as long as you're paying attention (and i mean constant, unflagging attention) you should be fine. and stay the fuck out of puerto plata. that place is just madness.
    And all of this is NOTHING, compared to driving in Santo Domingo.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    And all of this is NOTHING, compared to driving in Santo Domingo.
    absolutely, anything can happen in the capital.

one second you're driving down the road, the next you're married to a ho.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Been driving all over that country without serious incident since 2004. And I gotta say that the above highlighted is the best advice about driving in the DR that I've read thus far. The only thing I'd add is to never drive drunk down there. Hell, don't even drive tipsy cause you need to be alert and focused at all times. Fortunately, I have a wingman who doesn't drink. He's the designated driver of our group.

Oh, and buy ALL of the insurance offered by the rental company. It wont cover you in all instances. But it will cover the inevitable dings and scratches that you will incur while driving in the bigger cities. The one time I didn't buy the insurance, my rental got sideswiped while parked in front of Cristals. Cost me an extra $300.

Honestly, I'm at the point where I rent a car every time I'm in the DR. I have to be able to get out and see shit. And that added mobility is well worth the extra cost IMO. Seriously, the only near death experiences I've had in the DR have been in taxis. I don't even fuck with motoconchos.

When it's all said and done, I feel like I'm a better driver than any of the locals. Therefore, when it comes to trusting my life with a driver in the DR, I don't hesitate to get behind the wheel.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

I've only rented from airports so far, and from my experience

I've been fortunate enough that I only had to pay for tires. ALWAYS ALWAYS check to make sure the wrench they give you matches every single lug nut on the car, Trust me.

I've always used the insurance on my credit card via American express.

I've always tried to take pictures and or video of all the damage on the car in case.

Another thing you need to remember if renting from the airport, is the hold that they will put on your credit card which can be up to $1000 or $1500 can't remember how much, which of course they will refund if there is no damage.

When I had my disaster of blowing out 2 tires one time missing my flight some shitty policy of Avis at the time. I rented from the SDQ airport and drove to Sosua. The phone number they gave you for road side service, is dispatched out of Santo Domingo. so if you have a problem lets say in Puerto Plata, they will dispatch the service guy from Santo Domingo, thus adding 4 hours to your service time.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like the consensus is to rent a car and be very careful, with a few folks thinking we might be better off with Taxis. I guess everyone agrees that hiring a driver would not be cost effective and should or be a real option.

I reserved a SUV with Alamo today. Deezl, I plan on calling your contact this week. Does anyone else have an opinion on renting locally versus from POP?

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kris boog For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information