Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying @ Casa Linda - Help Needed (Rental Car or Hire Driver)?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Staying @ Casa Linda - Help Needed (Rental Car or Hire Driver)?

Quote Originally Posted by kris boog View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. It seems like the consensus is to rent a car and be very careful, with a few folks thinking we might be better off with Taxis. I guess everyone agrees that hiring a driver would not be cost effective and should or be a real option.

I reserved a SUV with Alamo today. Deezl, I plan on calling your contact this week. Does anyone else have an opinion on renting locally versus from POP?

The good thing about renting at POP is you wouldn't have to worry about a ride from and to the airport.

But, the SUV that deezl rents is new and nice!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 376 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. It seems like the consensus is to rent a car and be very careful, with a few folks thinking we might be better off with Taxis. I guess everyone agrees that hiring a driver would not be cost effective and should or be a real option.

I reserved a SUV with Alamo today. Deezl, I plan on calling your contact this week. Does anyone else have an opinion on renting locally versus from POP?
    If you drive NYC you should have no problems.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonto4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Unlike most here I would say you need some liqour in your system down there. This way your on the same level as everybody else driving...
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

If you plan on using the insurance via through a credit card like American Express like I did, they do not cover SUV's, and another thing is gas, which costs a lot more in the DR, you should consider if you really need an suv

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

I got my Honda CRV without insurance for $45 a day and the jefe at National was willing to give it to me with insurance for $50 a day. Call me reckless but I only took the insurance option once when I tried a different company and they tried to tell me it was a requirement. Still doesn't add that much to the daily rate though. My experience is reserving online and even adding the insurance when you get to POP usually does not work out to be too expensive at all. And if you split it with your wings even better. I never realized the Credit Card insurance didn't cover SUV's though. I usually don't even get anything that big since I'm usually travelling by myself or with only 1 wing-man so I usually go with the Insurance on the credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    Driving in RD is some that i know about LOL now I am pro taxi

Is the Roundtrip from the strip to casa linda 600rd? that sounds expense for one person. I can get cross town in santo domingo for 200rd. 600rd split in 6 is 100rd/each That's cheap.

Blaz is the ~$50 quote for a jeepa with or without insurance? if thats without insurance you can add another $50/day. I never spent more than $20 a day in last trip.

with taxi's:
    I didnt have to worry about accidents, the cops, drinking & driving, parking, insurance scams from the rental place, driving the whores back or picking them up

you can get a taxi guys number and call, i am sure they will get to you quickly

Having your own car has its perks but so does using taxi's

use a combo, suv in the day time and taxi's for the whore at night
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    I got my Honda CRV without insurance for $45 a day and the jefe at National was willing to give it to me with insurance for $50 a day. Call me reckless but I only took the insurance option once when I tried a different company and they tried to tell me it was a requirement. Still doesn't add that much to the daily rate though. My experience is reserving online and even adding the insurance when you get to POP usually does not work out to be too expensive at all. And if you split it with your wings even better. I never realized the Credit Card insurance didn't cover SUV's though. I usually don't even get anything that big since I'm usually travelling by myself or with only 1 wing-man so I usually go with the Insurance on the credit card.
    On my second trip, I had reserved a SUV through Avis online. When I got to the DR, they told me I HAD to take the insurance. I was pissed. But they showed me that, as a franchisee, they had the right to require insurance on vehicles they chose. And that franchisee required it on all SUV's! I was pissed!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information