Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More "GREAT IDEAS" to speed the demise of the Dominican Tourism industry

Thanks
    Thanked 28,091 Times in 7,185 Posts

More "GREAT IDEAS" to speed the demise of the Dominican Tourism industry

From Dominican Today

Proposed US$30 departure tax stokes tourism sector woes

Zoom Picture

Santo Domingo.- The Internal Taxes Agency on Wednesday proposed to increase the departure tax at ports and airports from US$20, to US$30, levied on all travelers, national or foreign.
    For the tourism sector the request to raise the tax feels like a bucket of cold water, who say the increase would add to the already spiraling cost of airfare.

Although the proposal top the Executive Branch had included the elimination of the US$10 tax of the tourist card to fuse it with the $ 20 departure tax in the case of foreigners, the draft of the bill cites only the US$30, without distinction.

Seems these Dominicans just can't help pushing that Big Red button that says "Self Destruct"
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

Re: More "GREAT IDEAS" to speed the demise of the Dominican Tourism industry

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    From Dominican Today

Click to see pic

Click to see picZoom Picture

Santo Domingo.- The Internal Taxes Agency on Wednesday proposed to increase the departure tax at ports and airports from US$20, to US$30, levied on all travelers, national or foreign.
    For the tourism sector the request to raise the tax feels like a bucket of cold water, who say the increase would add to the already spiraling cost of airfare.

Although the proposal top the Executive Branch had included the elimination of the US$10 tax of the tourist card to fuse it with the $ 20 departure tax in the case of foreigners, the draft of the bill cites only the US$30, without distinction.

Seems these Dominicans just can't help pushing that Big Red button that says "Self Destruct"

If I'm not mistaken you only pay that tax when you're in the country for more than 30 days, how many tourist go on vacation for more than a month anyways?

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you only pay that tax when you're in the country for more than 30 days, how many tourist go on vacation for more than a month anyways?
    Those are separate issues. There is an exit tax but it is usually included in your ticket price so you don't notice it. Not the same as the fine for overstaying your 30 days.
    Enjoy it while you can.

7. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    From Dominican Today

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    The way I read it its the departure tax that's included in the ticket for everybody

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks

O.K. let me see if I got this right ... ..... This is the PLAN or as some call it the VISION ...

#1. Clean up the place by getting rid of all the whores and by default destroy the sub economy that
    has for 20 years been built up around this and has been supporting the whole area.

#2. Raise the departure tax so that any investor (AI or otherwise) that was considering investing in
    the DR will now at very least pause to consider the effect that this new added tax will have on the
    bottom line after pricing in for airline tickets and package deals.

That's it right ??? That's the plan ...

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

I think the cow may start to run dry after this tax hike.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

None of this will make a fuck. We'll still book the trips and buy the tickets and fuck the Ho's and drink the rum and move on to the next bullshit to complain about. It's $10 for shit sake!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    None of this will make a fuck. We'll still book the trips and buy the tickets and fuck the Ho's and drink the rum and move on to the next bullshit to complain about. It's $10 for shit sake!
    but combined with the 5 cent raise in beer prices that adds up.......... to some
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

With this proposal there is NO net increase in what you guys as tourists pay for entrance and exit to the DR.

Read that clearly...ZERO...NADA...NIL...ZILCH...increase. Got it???????

Everybody pays the US$20 departure tax usually included in your ticket price.

The proposal is designed to eliminate the ridiculous scenario of buying a US$10 tourist visa on arrival, with the sometimes very long lines to do so, and then hand the damn thing back in 5 minutes later. Very sensible IMO.

The only people that this MAY affect are legal residents who do not pay the US$10 tourist visa........and that affects about 0.00001% of people on this board. SMFH
    Last edited by WickedWillie; 06-08-2013 at 12:59 PM.

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,262 Times in 11,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    With this proposal there is NO net increase in what you guys as tourists pay for entrance and exit to the DR.

Read that clearly...ZERO...NADA...NIL...ZILCH...increase. Got it???????

Everybody pays the US$20 departure tax usually included in your ticket price.

The proposal is designed to eliminate the ridiculous scenario of buying a US$10 tourist visa on arrival, with the sometimes very long lines to do so, and then hand the damn back in 5 minutes later. Very sensible IMO.

The only people that this MAY affect are legal residents who do not pay the US$10 tourist visa........and that affects about 0.00001% of people on this board. SMFH
    Not according to the draft bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominican Today (original post)
    Hmmm ... $10 to come in, $30 to go out ... that adds up to a ST with a street-rat ...
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Not according to the draft bill.

Hmmm ... $10 to come in, $30 to go out ... that adds up to a ST with a street-rat ...
    I think you are a little confused Westy, maybe using Dominican Today as a reliable source of intel is the problem

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think you are a little confused Westy, maybe using Dominican Today as a reliable source of intel is the problem
    The entire thread is about a DT article. I used to read DT when I had nothing else to do. I haven't read it in a while.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The entire thread is about a DT article. I used to read DT when I had nothing else to do. I haven't read it in a while.
    Exactly.

The full proposals detailed in mainstream Dominican media clearly quote the director of DGII (?) as stating the main reason for the proposal is the ridiculous system of the US$10 tourist card, that tourists hold for all of 5 minutes before handing it in to another official 20 meters away, and the associated chaotic lines witnessed regularly in places like Punta Cana airport especially when 5 or 6 charter flights all arrive at the same time.

People who rely on Dominican Today as a source of info wouldn't know that though.

Again there is no new tax, no tax increase for tourists. This only affects, if approved, traveling Dominican citizens and legal residents who currently do not pay the US$10 tourist card fee.

24. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

So... This is actually a sensible idea!

I find that perplexing.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Exactly.

The full proposals detailed in mainstream Dominican media clearly quote the director of DGII (?) as stating the main reason for the proposal is the ridiculous system of the US$10 tourist card, that tourists hold for all of 5 minutes before handing it in to another official 20 meters away, and the associated chaotic lines witnessed regularly in places like Punta Cana airport especially when 5 or 6 charter flights all arrive at the same time.

People who rely on Dominican Today as a source of info wouldn't know that though.

Again there is no new tax, no tax increase for tourists. This only affects, if approved, traveling Dominican citizens and legal residents who currently do not pay the US$10 tourist card fee.

Most charters, at least the canadian charters have the tourist card included in the price, so they get the card on the flight down, so there shouldn't be any line ups. maybe the DR gov't is tired of waiting for the airlines to hand it over to them.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    but combined with the 5 cent raise in beer prices that adds up.......... to some
    You joke about this lightly, but for people that drink 3-4 beers a day, that could be as much as .20 cents. Not funny!!
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    You joke about this lightly, but for people that drink 3-4 beers a day, that could be as much as .20 cents. Not funny!!

$1.40 a week, it could be ugly

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    $1.40 a week, it could be ugly

Finally, somebody grasps my point. God forbid if somebody extrapolates that out to a full month.

Imagine the horror!

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

the main reason for the proposal is the ridiculous system of the US$10 tourist card, that tourists hold for all of 5 minutes before handing it in to another official 20 meters away

But I LIKE the tourist card line. It gives me a chance to acclimate to the weather and get a gander at my fellow travelers as I count my place in the immigration line so I can try to time my access to the booth with the cute young immigration Chica with one too many blouse buttons undone or even better, the booth with two of them who are so busy yammering away that they won't notice me drooling as I ogle them both and fantasize a threesome..

As for residents, they have to declare nationality when they buy their ticket and their passport backs that up so they shouldn't be charged the $10. That's not too difficult a toggle to build into the airline websites. If the credentials don't match up then they pay at check-in.

36. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

But I LIKE the tourist card line. It gives me a chance to acclimate to the weather and get a gander at my fellow travelers as I count my place in the immigration line so I can try to time my access to the booth with the cute young immigration Chica with one too many blouse buttons undone or even better, the booth with two of them who are so busy yammering away that they won't notice me drooling as I ogle them both and fantasize a threesome..

As for residents, they have to declare nationality when they buy their ticket and their passport backs that up so they shouldn't be charged the $10. That's not too difficult a toggle to build into the airline websites. If the credentials don't match up then they pay at check-in.
    Man, I HATE the tourist card line! I always try to get a seat as close to the front of the plane just to beat those fuckers to the line. Even though there's a sign people still don't seem to know what they're supposed to do when they get to the front, then they have to dig out their wallets, and if it's a group? Ufff... I just wanna get through there as fast as possible, get my bag (and maybe a bottle at duty free) and get the fuck out of the airport!

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Man, I HATE the tourist card line! I always try to get a seat as close to the front of the plane just to beat those fuckers to the line. Even though there's a sign people still don't seem to know what they're supposed to do when they get to the front, then they have to dig out their wallets, and if it's a group? Ufff... I just wanna get through there as fast as possible, get my bag (and maybe a bottle at duty free) and get the fuck out of the airport!

That's another perk of First Class.

You can always tell the guys who have been there before. They aren't wasting any time getting to the Tourist Card line.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information