Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barahona Province May 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

Barahona Province May 2013

Trip started in Santo Domingo, then Santiago for one night, returned to Santo Domingo for another night and then drove to Barahona. Took the Malecon in Santo Domingo straight towards San Cristobal. Drove through San Cristobal to get to the highway for the direction of Bani. Good 4 lane highway. Bani is a nice town. La Salinas has sand dunes and a Dominican Naval base. Salt production in La Salinas. Iguanas will cross the road there and are protected.

Drove through Bani to continue onto the highway for the trip further west. (Mango festival in Bani, supposedly 12 mangos for 50 pesos).

Next town is Azua when heading west, again drove through the town to continue the drive west.

Scenic ride, mountains and hills, friendly people. I give free rides to some Dominican Military and Police I see waiting for public transportation (Army, Navy, Marines and Polica Nacional I have had in my car).

The town of Barahona was quiet. There are a few hotels in this town. Probably a good idea to fill up the gas tank in Barahona and use the ATM machine to get cash if you are heading further west. Roads are in good condition and very scenic. Easy drive, I wouldn't recommend doing it at night. Paraiso and Los Patos are two towns further west. Fresh water cascades, streams and rivers can be seen from the road, with the water traveling down from the nearby mountain.

Wild ferret crossed the road in front of my car further west, before the desert type road that leads to Pedernales. Cattle graze along the side of the road in some places. Large wind turbines produce electricity on a large farm-like plot of land in Barahona Province.

I saw the turn off for the hotel Rancho Platon (which has a water slide, river type rafting and tree house rooms), Barahona Province; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-CgNyC4ZhU.

Bought cashews from street guys near a speed bump, slow down area on the main road in Barahona Province. Cashews were good and ate them while driving.

Eventually arrived in Pedernales, southwest Dom Rep. Visited a few different small hotels there and chose the Hotel Doña Chava. 900 pesos per night (about $23US) with air-conditioning. http://www.donachava.com/

Haitian border was less than a five minute drive from this hotel. Pedernales has a beach and maybe one casa.

I will write a brief report about my visit to the Haitian town Anse-a-Pitres. Open border, friendly people on both sides of the border. Nice little towns, clean and tranquil.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Re: Barahona Province May 2013

What tickled you fancy or motivated you to go to Barahona?

Did you just look on Google maps and decided to go to all these places?

Thanks for the contributions btw

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    What tickled you fancy or motivated you to go to Barahona?

Did you just look on Google maps and decided to go to all these places?

Thanks for the contributions btwClick to see picClick to see pic
    Late one night over 5 years ago while waiting for the airport tram at JFK airport I met a guy who was also returning from a trip to the Dom Rep. He told me he owned a home in Barahona and he recommended that I visit there.

I have a friend whose family comes from the Haitian town of Jacmel (south-coast of Haiti). Jacmel, Haiti has a carnival and a music festival. Supposedly from the border town Anse-a-Pitres, there are boats that head further west along the Haitian coast. Anse-a-Pitres, Haiti is next door to Pedernales, Dom Rep. I was told that on an open boat carrying goods, cost would be 250 Dominican pesos for the ride from Anse-a-Pitres further west toward Jacmel. Taking boats along the southern coast is a possible way to visit and get closer to some Haitian towns (Jacmel, Port Salut and the Haitian island, Île à Vache).

Barahona has Bahia de Aguilas, scenic beach, which most people access by boat (near the area for the boats, I saw helicopters parked). Cabo Rojo is a quiet beach. Polo Magnetico in Barahona, quirk in the Earth's magnetic field, causes a strong magnetic field that will pull cars up a hill (cars are off and in neutral and the magnetic field causes them to get pulled uphill. youtube videos showing this). Large lake in Barahona.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Thanks Joa.... I see you roll just like me. I appreciate the intel. That is the last corner of DR for me to explore... with my distaste for dlatins, and the death of classicos ,ill probably be getting around alittle more...
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgunzbxxx View Post
    Thanks Joa.... I see you roll just like me. I appreciate the intel. That is the last corner of DR for me to explore... with my distaste for dlatins, and the death of classicos ,ill probably be getting around alittle more...
    Thanks.

Nice ride through desert like landscape to get to Pedernales, Dom. Rep. There is a gas station in Pedernales, also a small supermarket and a BanReservas ATM. I stayed at the hotel doña chava (http://www.donachava.com/) . Nice owner and there is a small parking lot there. Basic room, wifi included, coffee in the morning included, with air conditioning the price was 900 pesos, about $23US (without air conditioning the price was 800 pesos, room had an overhead ceiling fan). I also visited the Villas del Mar Hotel which also had friendly owners and a swimming pool, price was around $30US per night there. I visited 4 other hotels in Pedernales.

I had boneless chicken in a restaurant about four blocks from the hotel doña chava, price was 250 pesos, creole style chicken or something, I believe it was called on the menu (chicken in a sauce) with tostones.

Small area that sits facing the sea adjacent to I believe where the beach is located in Pedernales, maybe they call that small area a malecon.

Between the town of Barahona and Pedernales is a few hours drive. This site lists most hotels in the DR (large and small): http://www.hotel-dominican-republic.net/ (search for hotels by region or town/city).

I was told that there is no ATM machine in the town where the small Hotelito Oasi Italiana is located (probably the town of Los Patos). There might not be an ATM in the town of Paraiso either. Gas Stations between barahona and pedernales, I was not looking for, but I would probably recommend getting gas in barahona (or in Pedernales when heading back east). There are stretches of road where you are all alone for miles.

I saw a bar that looked like it could be a p4p venue in Pedernales but I didn't go in (small place).

Thanks
    Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    Late one night over 5 years ago while waiting for the airport tram at JFK airport I met a guy who was also returning from a trip to the Dom Rep. He told me he owned a home in Barahona and he recommended that I visit there.
    Its funny how many good adventures begin with such a chance encounter. Some words many a times from a casual acquaintance that for some reason just stick with us and we decide that we must see a place for ourselves.

Einstein said that coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous and when things work out you got to wonder.

Thanks for sharing

Barahona has Bahia de Aguilas, scenic beach, which most people access by boat (near the area for the boats, I saw helicopters parked). Cabo Rojo is a quiet beach. Polo Magnetico in Barahona, quirk in the Earth's magnetic field, causes a strong magnetic field that will pull cars up a hill (cars are off and in neutral and the magnetic field causes them to get pulled uphill. youtube videos showing this). Large lake in Barahona.
    Did you make it too Bahia de Aguilas ? If so please elaborate more.
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Its funny how many good adventures begin with such a chance encounter. Some words many a times from a casual acquaintance that for some reason just stick with us and we decide that we must see a place for ourselves. Einstein said that coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous and when things work out you got to wonder.
    Thanks for sharing Did you make it too Bahia de Aguilas ? If so please elaborate more.
    True.

Thanks.

As you know, chance encounters and/or unplanned occurrences (serendipity) are sometimes the things most remembered.

I would have taken the boats, but it was late afternoon by the time I got there. I had stopped for a swim at cabo rojo. The side road to get to the boats is not paved. The boat guys were nice, price for them to take you to bahia de las aguilas was probably a little over 1000 pesos (a little more than $25US) on panga type boats. Supposedly a 15 minute ride to get to the beach there. Price is for round-trip. There is also a trail to get there.

La Cueva is a small village there, very basic living supposedly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5HxEuT0r1o

Dom Rep tourism video for bahia de las aguilas, cabo rojo and hoyo de pelempito: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43JORKQ-Ksw
    Last edited by Jao; 06-23-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

What about chicas???? Are there lots, few, stunners, trolls?? Those are nice pics looks like a beautiful place but chicas is better motivator to travel.
    We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    What about chicas???? Are there lots, few, stunners, trolls?? Those are nice pics looks like a beautiful place but chicas is better motivator to travel.
    What he said...again thank you for your contributions but my STRUDEL only wants the TOTO...

Beautiful vistas aside I can do that in the USA and just drive across country.

However if there are some FLACAS at the end of the rainbow then tally hoe...

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3 View Post
    What he said...again thank you for your contributions but my STRUDEL only wants the TOTO...

Point and click mongering ten minutes from an International Airport there are places for that. (Barahona has an airport)

I had fucked and been with several women the first three days of the trip in santo domingo and santiago, so my dick needed a rest. (Photo of an amiga who visited from Sunday night to Tuesday morning. The Monday there was a holiday in DR. Since I don't fuck in the USA, barebacking the first days in the DR, beat up the skin on my dick). Traveling to Barahona alone and not really mongering, was OK for a little over a day. First time traveling to Barahona for me. In the future I can invite an amiga to travel there with me. There are women in every town in the DR.

Anse-a-Pitres, Haiti I was told there was a casa de cita, with a price of 150 pesos. Maybe in pedernales there was a casa as well. When I return in the future, I'll be sure to ask and get more info.

Any particular type of woman you're interested in or price?

United States has beautiful vistas, that is for sure and lots of people travel to the United States to see those vistas. I can fuck beautiful women in Dominican Republic and travel to see beautiful vistas like those in Barahona. Saying that can be easily done in the States, maybe or maybe not.
    Last edited by Jao; 06-22-2013 at 09:56 PM.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post
    Thank you.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you.

Que bien. (How nice)

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Einstein said that coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous and when things work out you got to wonder.
    Swimming southwest DR. Near Azua and Cabo Rojo.

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you.

Que bien. (How nice)
    Not sure why you delete your other post because that one was more to the point to my question and Tarzan's pregunta.

But prices can be negotiated...and beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I am responding to the comments in your deleted post).

I can't speak for my man Tarzan but we do have similar tastes...I prefer a chica that doesn't slap on the whore makeup...now if this quiet little pueblo has some flacas that are sweet and humble then again...making a trip in that direction would be a nice change of pace to my Santiago pit stops.

Again thanks for the trip report and contributions to the board.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure why you delete your other post because that one was more to the point to my question and Tarzan's pregunta.

But prices can be negotiated...and beauty is in the eye of the beholder (I am responding to the comments in your deleted post).

I can't speak for my man Tarzan but we do have similar tastes...I prefer a chica that doesn't slap on the whore makeup...now if this quiet little pueblo has some flacas that are sweet and humble then again...making a trip in that direction would be a nice change of pace to my Santiago pit stops.

Again thanks for the trip report and contributions to the board.
    We are all big boys on this site. Different strokes for different folks.

Incredible Hulk, good message by stan the man lee, control one's anger.

Lots of monger destinations in this world. You have over 12 thousand posts and thousands of thanks. I am just a newbie posting some info about the southwest of the DR. If a person finds it useful, then I am happy. I will defer to you. Price and location of putas.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jao;1234357[YELLOW
    ]We are all big boys on this site. Different strokes for different folks[/YELLOW].

Lots of monger destinations in this world. You have over 12 thousand posts and thousands of thanks. I am just a newbie posting some info about the southwest of the DR. If a person finds it useful, then I am happy. I will defer to you. Price and location of putas.

Agreed, and I apologize if my question came across as rude, or that you shouldn't go sightseeing, and I certainly appreciate all info on any place, good or bad as it helps me decide to one day go or avoid. There are many here who enjoy taking a girl out to somewhere quite and relax a few days, my trips are usually to short to do that, that's why I asked what the chica scene was like. My intent was not to judge how you roll, if you get to know me you'll find I'm one of the least judgemental people on this board. In fact I have a report on Portugal from a few years back with no chica pics and it took me several days to get laid, but I did an honest report of what I found and didn't find, so others can decide for themselves.

Believe it or not I really do like the scene pics.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We are all big boys on this site. Different strokes for different folks.

Not a problem sir.

As Tarzan said I meant no disrespect just a question. Your vacation is for your enjoyment not mine.

Do you and I will keep my future questions to myself so as not to cause any strife.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Not a problem sir.

As Tarzan said I meant no disrespect just a question. Your vacation is for your enjoyment not mine.

Do you and I will keep my future questions to myself so as not to cause any strife.
    It was a very good question.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    It was a very good question.
    I guess not everyone agrees with you. My question was left unanswered.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

I guess not everyone agrees with you. My question was left unanswered.
    What good is a trip report if the posts get deleted a day after posted? They were very good posts.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information