Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THIS is why I try and avoid riding motoconchos as much as possible...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Re: THIS is why I try and avoid riding motoconchos as much as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I greatly dislike riding motos. When I do the approach described here is what I use. If you don't have guys you trust I suggest chosing an age mature driver and not one of the youngsters. The older guys in general use far more caution when carrying passengers.
    The fact that they still have all of their limbs will attest to that. Absolutely true.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

This was scary to look at. I walk a lot when I'm down there, seldom do I feel I need to be in a rush to be someplace in particular. When on vacation, time should definitely be on your side.

When I have stayed at the Palms or once at the Tradewinds, the moto guys at the bottom of the hill always wave when they see me walking down the hill to acknowledge them if I want a ride. Those guys are a bit older than the young guys who hang out on the street corners in town and always ride on the shoulder at a slower speed, maybe no faster than 30 mph or so. If it takes me an extra minute or 90 seconds to arrive at Rockys for a #32 for breakfast, I think I will be ok.

And that goes for the beach or anywhere else as well. And if at night with a chica, I be sure to tell them "Despacio por favor. No quiero un accidente". They usually chuckle and agree with me. They don't get out of 2nd gear.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    This was scary to look at. I walk a lot when I'm down there, seldom do I feel I need to be in a rush to be someplace in particular. When on vacation, time should definitely be on your side.

When I have stayed at the Palms or once at the Tradewinds, the moto guys at the bottom of the hill always wave when they see me walking down the hill to acknowledge them if I want a ride. Those guys are a bit older than the young guys who hang out on the street corners in town and always ride on the shoulder at a slower speed, maybe no faster than 30 mph or so. If it takes me an extra minute or 90 seconds to arrive at Rockys for a #32 for breakfast, I think I will be ok.

And that goes for the beach or anywhere else as well. And if at night with a chica, I be sure to tell them "Despacio por favor. No quiero un accidente". They usually chuckle and agree with me. They don't get out of 2nd gear.
    I'd like to add that whenever you guys get on a bike, watch defensively. I know you guys understand what I mean, but to spell it out- we are used to constantly scanning our surroundings when we drive a car or motorcycle. It's something that many drivers here do NOT do. They only look where they are headed(or at girls)

There's nothing wrong with calling the attention to the driver by pointing and saying "cuidado" if you see a potentially bad situation.

I've seen many an accident in my days that could have been avoided had the driver been paying attention to what's going on around him.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    ... I suggest chosing an age mature driver and not one of the youngsters. The older guys in general use far more caution when carrying passengers.
    As Dominican Billy always said "You see old motoconchistas, and you see bold motoconchistas, but you never see old, bold motoconchistas". (Of course adapted from the old saying about WWI pilots).

I always go for the grizzled haired ones if there is a choice (sometimes there isn't). I also choose ones wearing helmets. This might seem counter-productive as a helmet could interfere with their awareness of their surroundings, but firstly they don't have any awareness, and secondly it suggests they are less "macho" and more inclined to conform to the law. Another thing I look for is rear-view mirrors. All the guys on my favoured panel of "motoconchistas de confianza" have them.

There is a certain route I routinely take, which entails going up a one-way street and crossing three roads where the signs clearly indicate "Give Way" (because those other roads have priority). I reckon two out of five of my drivers slow down enough, if not to avoid a collision, at least enough to avoid a serious one, two out of five don't seem aware that we don't have precedence so just motor across at the same speed, and the fifth will accelerate in the hope that, if a car is cutting across our route, we will beat them to it.

At the other extreme there is one old guy who sometimes takes me who motors so slowly we get overtaken by fat ladies on pasolas and motos towing cripples in wheelchairs. What is Dominican Spanish for "Grow a pair, you old fart, we are getting humiliated here"? Maybe his bike only has the two lower gears.

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,942 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    As Dominican Billy always said "You see old motoconchistas, and you see bold motoconchistas, but you never see old, bold motoconchistas". (Of course adapted from the old saying about WWI pilots).

I always go for the grizzled haired ones if there is a choice (sometimes there isn't). I also choose ones wearing helmets. This might seem counter-productive as a helmet could interfere with their awareness of their surroundings, but firstly they don't have any awareness, and secondly it suggests they are less "macho" and more inclined to conform to the law. Another thing I look for is rear-view mirrors. All the guys on my favoured panel of "motoconchistas de confianza" have them.

There is a certain route I routinely take, which entails going up a one-way street and crossing three roads where the signs clearly indicate "Give Way" (because those other roads have priority). I reckon two out of five of my drivers slow down enough, if not to avoid a collision, at least enough to avoid a serious one, two out of five don't seem aware that we don't have precedence so just motor across at the same speed, and the fifth will accelerate in the hope that, if a car is cutting across our route, we will beat them to it.

At the other extreme there is one old guy who sometimes takes me who motors so slowly we get overtaken by fat ladies on pasolas and motos towing cripples in wheelchairs. What is Dominican Spanish for "Grow a pair, you old fart, we are getting humiliated here"? Maybe his bike only has the two lower gears.
    The moto driver probably goes home to his family and says the same thing---I had a really old guy on my bike, I was so afraid he would fall off so I had to go really slow..

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dr World For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

From Sosua news.....

VESTS AND IDENTITY CARDS FOR MOTOCONCHOS

Tuesday afternoon, October 15th mayor Ilana Neumann, in company of the commanders of the National Police and Traffic Police, held a meeting with some thirty motorcycle taxi drivers. The meeting was held next to the town hall of Sosúa in the shade of the trees. The motoconchos received a vest with number and an identification card. Furthermore, they were assigned to a fixed stand. Only from this stand they are allowed to pick up passengers for a motorcycle taxi ride. This is in order to prevent unfair competition. The commander of the traffic police warned the motoconchos that they, from now on, have to wear their vest as they exercise their profession of motorcycle taxi (motoconcho). The Amet (traffic police) officers will strictly check on it. Furthermore, a motoconcho has to be in possession of valid ownership and insurance documents.
    Vests and identity cards for Motoconchos
    Vests and identity cards
    for Motoconchos
    With this introduction of wearing vests and ID, pirate motoconchos from elsewhere, who often cause much inconvenience, can easily be recognized and excluded.
    Information and picture: Félix Corona
    (Spokesman town hall) )

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Are you f*cking kidding me. They tried this before and didn't work. There are way too many freelance motoconchos out there to enforce this. If they are serious about this I shouldn't see one motococho in front of Rumba bar & D Latin without a vest. Not happening. All smoke in mirrors. And they are assigned to a fixed stand and can only pick up passengers from there. Yea ok. I guess election time must be soon. This is nothing but a publicity stunt. A whole 3 vests on the table, plenty to give out to all the motocochos.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat View Post
    Are you f*cking kidding me. They tried this before and didn't work. There are way too many freelance motoconchos out there to enforce this. If they are serious about this I shouldn't see one motococho in front of Rumba bar & D Latin without a vest. Not happening. All smoke in mirrors. And they are assigned to a fixed stand and can only pick up passengers from there. Yea ok. I guess election time must be soon. This is nothing but a publicity stunt. A whole 3 vests on the table, plenty to give out to all the motocochos.
    Slow down. Just go down to Puerto Plata and take a look during the day. Every motto is wearing a vest. You only see the freelancers out at night. AMET normally works during the day, so you will still see some out at night. BUT once in a while, AMET does stings at night.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Laughing Re: THIS is why I try and avoid riding motoconchos as much as possible...

Upon seating, I immediately tell the driver, ''Me no gusta rapido, tranquilo''! If he speeds up, I more than gently slap both his shoulders and repeat, ''No rapido''! Always, they get the message! Also, I am the worst ''back seat driver'' imaginable !

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information