Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road trip to Maimon

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Re: Road trip to Maimon

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    Nice side trip...Thanks for sharing. I've spent some time in that city, and in the "Country Club" as well. My chica friends tell me the name of the town is Maimon de Bonao. Lots of foreigners are around there due to the mining industry. The discos get pretty busy on the weekends.
    Really nah I why am I not surprised lol.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

A little review to answer some of the questions.

I would not recommend to every single guy, to take a 5 and 7 year old on vacation in the DR. At least, like I did. If you do the AI's, you'll be fine. But, I am VERY blessed to have some great friends that live there. Balcoach set up my condo (will give the name and a few photos in another post) and my jeepeta. Rick from Rockies and Robert set up a babysitter each, so the nights my friend wasn't in town, I could still go drink and have my "ay papi" time! But, I also had her. And I knew before I got there, that I could trust her completely with my kids. She's not someone I just met (everybody in Green has seen her pics. She is the only one I put there with her own thread). But to be honest, while I knew I could trust her with them, she shocked the hell out of me with how she was with them!

We went to the cable car (telerifico) in Puerto Plata one day. Then hit Weylands favorite restaurant on the malecon (won't go there again, they gouge tourist!) but got rained out. The next day, we drove to Cabarete to meet WickedWillie at Gorditas for tacos and burritos. After lunch, we headed back towards Puerto Plata to ride the go carts. They had no problems letting my 7 year old daughter have her own go cart, and my 5 year old son could drive a double with an adult, but they didn't care if the adult help drive! Also, when you (the adult) are riding the grownup go carts, remember to tell them to take off the regulator! My carts were screaming with burning rubber around corners! (of course, a small propina goes along with it!).

Some said it took moxy or I was brave to take my kids on the road trip. I respect those opinions, because the come from two guys that don't just do Sosua. They travel around, and have shown me a lot either in person (BLB) or in Trip Reports (tgunz), but I don't feel that way.

1) When it comes to my kids, I trust her completely. She wouldn't put my kids in danger.

2) I'm still a big dude that knows how to handle himself. And if someone wants to threaten any of my children, God help them.

I'll offer this. If you're thinking of taking your kid or kids on vacation in the North Coast, you can always PM me. I didn't come to the conclusion to take my kids there lightly. And to be honest, my kids seen a tourist town, and the only place they seen was around 5pm, and that was Rhumba. But that was as we were driving by. (And of course my 5 year old son said after the second time...."that bar is busy and always has some pretty chicas!!!" Damn I love him!!!!!!!!)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

I remember the first time I took my boys it was more than just a trip - it was a real "experience" for them. Did you get that same feeling with your kids?

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And I still forgot to answer one question. tgunz

It's not "would I do this trip again", it is when will I do a trip like this again. I am always walking a fine line with showing my kids a good vacation, and also teaching them a lesson or two. Doing 1 week a year with the kids, I need to do a Disney cruise, I need to show them other places in the world. But, I feel that every once in a while I will need to take the kids back to the DR to remind them why daddy is happy there, and why they should appreciate what they have.

So yes, I will absolutely take my kids back. And the more trips, the more we will leave the "tourist spot of the North Coast".

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I remember the first time I took my boys it was more than just a trip - it was a real "experience" for them. Did you get that same feeling with your kids?
    Absolutely! When we hit Maimon, my kids knew they were seeing something for the first time. And they are only 5 and 7.

They haven't said much about it, so that's why I know it hit them.

But my ex wife is bitching so much about the kids speaking what Spanish they picked up, and they keep saying to her that they have to donate toys.......yes, at 5 and 7, they realize they have too much.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    And they are only 5 and 7.
    I didn't realise they were that young. Very brave decision to take them and I am surprised your wife allowed it. Have to give her credit for that.

Pity you didn't bring them to the Na Rive school. Or did you think seeing how Haitians live would be a step too far?

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I didn't realise they were that young. Very brave decision to take them and I am surprised your wife allowed it. Have to give her credit for that.

Pity you didn't bring them to the Na Rive school. Or did you think seeing how Haitians live would be a step too far?

I thought that the school was closed for the summer. I absolutely would have brought them by if I would have known it was open.

When we were riding up the telerifico, they couldn't believe the shacks that they seen were peoples houses.

11. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I thought that the school was closed for the summer. I absolutely would have brought them by if I would have known it was open.

When we were riding up the telerifico, they couldn't believe the shacks that they seen were peoples houses.
    Yes, sorry, I misjudged your dates. Not used to people posting that promptly after their trips.

The school closed on the 19th and we discouraged visitors for the week before that because the students were sitting exams, although I was not anticipating "same age" gringo visitors, which would have been a novel experience for our students and we would have made an exception for that had the dates fitted.

See top blog here:
    http://www.narive.org/news.2012_2013.html

Love your new slogan for the Teleferico:
    "Ride the Teleferico - it's telerifico!"

13. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Yes, sorry, I misjudged your dates. Not used to people posting that promptly after their trips.

The school closed on the 19th and we discouraged visitors for the week before that because the students were sitting exams, although I was not anticipating "same age" gringo visitors, which would have been a novel experience for our students and we would have made an exception for that had the dates fitted.

See top blog here:
    http://www.narive.org/news.2012_2013.html

Love your new slogan for the Teleferico:
    "Ride the Teleferico - it's telerifico!"
    We landed on the 18th.

Yeah yeah, I'm a little hazy today, broke into the Duty Free bottle of Brugal last night.

15. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

A little review to answer some of the questions.

I would not recommend to every single guy, to take a 5 and 7 year old on vacation in the DR. At least, like I did. If you do the AI's, you'll be fine. But, I am VERY blessed to have some great friends that live there. Balcoach set up my condo (will give the name and a few photos in another post) and my jeepeta. Rick from Rockies and Robert set up a babysitter each, so the nights my friend wasn't in town, I could still go drink and have my "ay papi" time! But, I also had her. And I knew before I got there, that I could trust her completely with my kids. She's not someone I just met (everybody in Green has seen her pics. She is the only one I put there with her own thread). But to be honest, while I knew I could trust her with them, she shocked the hell out of me with how she was with them!

We went to the cable car (telerifico) in Puerto Plata one day. Then hit Weylands favorite restaurant on the malecon (won't go there again, they gouge tourist!) but got rained out. The next day, we drove to Cabarete to meet WickedWillie at Gorditas for tacos and burritos. After lunch, we headed back towards Puerto Plata to ride the go carts. They had no problems letting my 7 year old daughter have her own go cart, and my 5 year old son could drive a double with an adult, but they didn't care if the adult help drive! Also, when you (the adult) are riding the grownup go carts, remember to tell them to take off the regulator! My carts were screaming with burning rubber around corners! (of course, a small propina goes along with it!).

Some said it took moxy or I was brave to take my kids on the road trip. I respect those opinions, because the come from two guys that don't just do Sosua. They travel around, and have shown me a lot either in person (BLB) or in Trip Reports (tgunz), but I don't feel that way.

1) When it comes to my kids, I trust her completely. She wouldn't put my kids in danger.

2) I'm still a big dude that knows how to handle himself. And if someone wants to threaten any of my children, God help them.

I'll offer this. If you're thinking of taking your kid or kids on vacation in the North Coast, you can always PM me. I didn't come to the conclusion to take my kids there lightly. And to be honest, my kids seen a tourist town, and the only place they seen was around 5pm, and that was Rhumba. But that was as we were driving by. (And of course my 5 year old son said after the second time...."that bar is busy and always has some pretty chicas!!!" Damn I love him!!!!!!!!)
    Are you going to write the Mayor a letter and explain to her how both worlds can exist.

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Thanks for the report. I love reading about different places in RD. Nice to get a view point from a monger/vacationer. Yes you can do both.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Absolutely! When we hit Maimon, my kids knew they were seeing something for the first time. And they are only 5 and 7.

But my ex wife is bitching so much about the kids speaking what Spanish they picked up
    thanks for the shout out.

You might have ruined your son for gringas when he is older LOL i still remember the 1st dominicana that turned me out when i was 16, ahh good memories

They keep saying to her that they have to donate toys.......yes, at 5 and 7, they realize they have too much.
    My 1st trip i didnt bring any gifts, once i knew i would go back i remember the girls asking for my stuff, and giving our stuff to the younger kids around town. So I got a bunch of items from my mother, sister, and ex. I gave them to the different girls i session with. After that i always loaded up my bags with hand me down. It started to get bored about going through the trouble to do that. one trip i didnt load up my bags with goodies. No sweat, i went to a campo with a friend and visited some "family" members. It got me when i saw one of the little cousin with beat up barbies but they kids loved them. i was upset i didnt have anything for them.

Later i asked my friend who is a size 00 what she does with the clothes my sister who isnt a 00 (maybe 4-5). She said what ever she cant fix or tailor to her size she gives it to people that need it.

since then i always bring a ton of toys to give out to the kids of the girls i know, even if i am not with them. Same with the clothes. Look i got the means to buy the toys for the kids, and my family have the clothes for the girls. Some guys on the board might said your soft bring items for whores because all they want is money, that is TRUTH but i have the money and means to bring those things and guess what? its my money
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

21. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

But my ex wife is bitching so much about the kids speaking what Spanish they picked up, and they keep saying to her that they have to donate toys.......yes, at 5 and 7, they realize they have too much.
    Trey, far be it for me to jump into a private matter between ex's when it comes to the parenting of their kids, but I would have to think that your ex should be just a bit appreciative if not surprised, that her kids have been made aware at such an impressionable age of their good fortune and realized how others their age who they met aren't as fortunate. What they have gained from what they experienced puts them so far ahead of their peers, even as youngsters, I'm sure it will stay with them for a long time and be a positive influence.

As to your ex, well, if she finds reason to bitch about a matter like this, I can only imagine what reasons she found to bitch about something that didn't involve your children when you were married to her. Not having that stress in your life on a daily basis must be godsend.

I've known you personally as a good dude with a solid character. Through this report, I now know you as a dedicated and loving father to your kids as well.

23. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

Nice stuff T..

Tu saaabbeee
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information