Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road trip to Maimon

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Road trip to Maimon

We also ate lunch there. We had a platter of fried chicken with french fries and fried plantains that fed nine people.

She also ordered 2 chicken of the day plates. It came with rice and salad.

Along with two 2 liters, a Grande, 3 or 4 bags of chips, and the kids had a box of cookies each, the bill came to 2000 pesos including tip.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sidenote: One thing I noticed at the pool. All Dominican men wear t-shirts when swimming. I was the only guy who didn't have a t-shirt on. I didn't have any extra, since I had only packed for one day. But, to help blend in when you are away from the tourist areas, take a t-shirt to swim in.

After leaving, we headed back to the family's house. My friend wanted to cook dinner for all of us. She and I went to the colmado, and bought supplies for spaghetti. I knew we had to also get something for my son. He won't eat spaghetti. So we got a package of hotdogs as well. I knew there would be leftovers for the family. The total came to 560 pesos.

There is a baseball field close to the family's house. There was a soccer game going on between two Haitian teams. While she was cooking dinner, she mentioned I should take the kids over and watch. As soon as we get there, it starts raining, so we walk back to the house. And it's a damn good thing for the rain!!!

Not 5 minutes later, she yells to me that they are fighting in the street. I look outside, and they are going at it with fists, sticks and machette's!!!! I locked the front gate real quick and go back inside. When I turn around, my son is standing on the gate, looking at everyone fighting, cheering them on!!! (What can I say, he is his fathers son)

I grab him quick and tell him that we are outsiders here, and when things like this happen, we stay out of view!

It ended pretty quick, with no real bleeding from what I seen. The cops showed up and hauled 4 or 5 guys away.

After that, dinner was ready. It was different from our normal spaghetti, but I enjoyed it. My daughter wasn't crazy for it, but she ate it because she knew how excited my friend had been to make it for us.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Just a side note. When we were in Santiago, we stopped for lunch. The kids wanted some "normal" food. We skipped Burger King and McDonalds, but I gave in for Fridays when all of them wanted it.

I'm not a big fan of Fridays, I think their food is average at best and this location was no different. But, I just about shit when the bill for the four of us was right at $2500 pesos!!
    this is a good point. Did you try to get them to try local food like mangu, fritos, chicharon sanchoco, moro, etc. If the kids like bacon they would like dominican pork chops.

Dude you are very brave on this type of family vacation. I was thinking of inviting the fam someday.
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

4. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

dominicans dont want to get darker, they want protection from the sun. while us tourist want a nice tan, they will be made fun of for being moreno

Sidenote: One thing I noticed at the pool. All Dominican men wear t-shirts when swimming. I was the only guy who didn't have a t-shirt on. I didn't have any extra, since I had only packed for one day. But, to help blend in when you are away from the tourist areas, take a t-shirt to swim in.

After leaving, we headed back to the family's house. My friend wanted to cook dinner for all of us. She and I went to the colmado, and bought supplies for spaghetti. I knew we had to also get something for my son. He won't eat spaghetti. So we got a package of hotdogs as well. I knew there would be leftovers for the family. The total came to 560 pesos.

There is a baseball field close to the family's house. There was a soccer game going on between two Haitian teams. While she was cooking dinner, she mentioned I should take the kids over and watch. As soon as we get there, it starts raining, so we walk back to the house. And it's a damn good thing for the rain!!!

Not 5 minutes later, she yells to me that they are fighting in the street. I look outside, and they are going at it with fists, sticks and machette's!!!! I locked the front gate real quick and go back inside. When I turn around, my son is standing on the gate, looking at everyone fighting, cheering them on!!! (What can I say, he is his fathers son)

I grab him quick and tell him that we are outsiders here, and when things like this happen, we stay out of view!

It ended pretty quick, with no real bleeding from what I seen. The cops showed up and hauled 4 or 5 guys away.

After that, dinner was ready. It was different from our normal spaghetti, but I enjoyed it. My daughter wasn't crazy for it, but she ate it because she knew how excited my friend had been to make it for us.

6. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

I can see your son is a chip off the old block. I imagine he will be pestering you in the future about heading down again!

This is great! How many guys would actually even contemplate bringing their kids to the DR? Bravo for doing so. And though they might not have liked it, it was the right call to pull the games while traveling. Too many kids lives are wrapped up in video games and such. I seldom even see kids playing outside anymore in my neighborhood.

Look forward to reading the rest. Hope your kids not only enjoyed themselves, but came away with a bit of education as well.

Props to you sir for bringing them along!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

We all turned in early, exhausted from swimming and sun all day. Got up early and was ready to head back. We all met at the family's house. When we started to leave, she said she was riding with us. She rode with me through Santiago, to be sure I made it back. She got out when we got to the turnoff for Puerto Plata. I gave her bus money and some for the salon, and we headed back to Sosua.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    this is a good point. Did you try to get them to try local food like mangu, fritos, chicharon sanchoco, moro, etc. If the kids like bacon they would like dominican pork chops.

Dude you are very brave on this type of family vacation. I was thinking of inviting the fam someday.
    I got them to try some fritos, some chicharon and sanchoco. They weren't really into it. But they tried it. I killed some sanchoco at the family's house. They also tried a whole bunch of new fruit.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post

Let me clarify "normal food". They were wanting to eat someplace that they were familiar with. They ate a lot of pizza, fried chicken and wings while there, but from places they had never heard before.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 983 Posts

Thanks for sharing your kids perspective on the trip. My son has been demanding to go for a while now, but am meeting some resistance from his mother. Did you have to get any special paperwork to travel, as a single parent, outside the country with your kids? Or have any problems in that regard at the airport?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramair4 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your kids perspective on the trip. My son has been demanding to go for a while now, but am meeting some resistance from his mother. Did you have to get any special paperwork to travel, as a single parent, outside the country with your kids? Or have any problems in that regard at the airport?
    I had my attorney draw up some paperwork and had their mom sign before I left. But for me it was two fold. I knew that the DR did not require it, but since we are headed into a custody battle, I didn't want her trying to say that she didn't know where I was taking them.

So for you, no. The DR does not require proof from the other parent for you to travel with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Clap Re: Road trip to Maimon

Great Thread! Kids days these dont get taught the diffrence between what they need and what the want! Thats a great lesson to learn early. Especailly when surrounded by people who usually dont have either.... Kudos.

A road trip like this with two children takes alot of moxy. One question would you do it again?... lol

sounds like the little man may make a great future wing man!! When he joins isoc he will probably start off "green"... lol
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Any chance of you son writing a trip report? I'm thinkin TNT jr. As his screen name... I'm kiddin of course but he must have been liking those little kisses from his part time girlfriends... How old is he again? Good report papa TNT!!!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgunzbxxx View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as you. The town with all the little seafood spots.. If you blink you will miss it.
    Yes, that is it.

Now I see what you mean. This town was called Maimon, but it wasn't outside of Puerto Plata. It was about 20 minutes past Bonao, off the main highway.
    That would explain it. Couldn't figure out at first why you would drive over 2 hours to get to a location only 40 minutes away.

Definitely enjoying the stories of your kids. I've taken my two sons twice and they LOVED it there, hanging out in the barrios with the local kids, in spite of the language barrier. They wanted to go back this summer again but, unfortunately for them, it's Cancun this year.

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Clap Re: Road trip to Maimon

I met the kids twice. They really great and very polite! TNT, you did good !

19. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you leave Sosua and take the mountain road to Santiago and up to Maimon? Unless there was a reason to go to Santiago first it would have been much easier and quicker to drive from Sosua through Puerto Plata and hit Maimon 15 minutes or so just west of PP.

You were thinking about the Maimon near Puerto Plata. The one he went to is the one near Cotui.

The Puerto Plata Maimon is where my farm is (was). There's a huge wall on the right when you enter Maimon from PP.

That was my place..
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Road trip to Maimon

It's trips like this that the kids will remember, fondly, and talk about forever!

I'm loving this!
    After unloading the luggage, it was time to get some food. We went to a pizza place that had a playground (lets say a very unsafe teeter totter, and a swing set) that was setting on rocks. Of course, through the meal, all three kids ended up crying over one injury or another.

The kids pizza and empanadas.
    Click to see pic

My pork chop.
    Click to see pic

We ended up having a medium pizza, 2 large empanadas, she and I each had pork chops with fries and salad, 2 or 3 Grandes, 3 fruit smoothies, 2 or 3 pops and 1 or 2 waters. The bill came to 1500 including tip!!! It's nice being outside of the tourist spot.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Nice side trip...Thanks for sharing. I've spent some time in that city, and in the "Country Club" as well. My chica friends tell me the name of the town is Maimon de Bonao. Lots of foreigners are around there due to the mining industry. The discos get pretty busy on the weekends.

25. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    Nice side trip...Thanks for sharing. I've spent some time in that city, and in the "Country Club" as well. My chica friends tell me the name of the town is Maimon de Bonao. Lots of foreigners are around there due to the mining industry. The discos get pretty busy on the weekends.
    My friend told me their were quite a few foreigners too, but I didn't see any. But, we were their on the weekend, and didn't get out and walk around town much. On Sunday night, the streets and colmados were PACKED!

About the Club. During the day, it was mostly familys or teenagers with their novio/novias. But as the evening time came around, their were a lot of well dressed, 20's and 30's couples coming out to party, or get the party started.

27. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ramair4 View Post
    Better to do what TnT did so you don't have issues when you come back thru.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JDR For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

My friend told me their were quite a few foreigners too, but I didn't see any. But, we were their on the weekend, and didn't get out and walk around town much. On Sunday night, the streets and colmados were PACKED!

About the Club. During the day, it was mostly familys or teenagers with their novio/novias. But as the evening time came around, their were a lot of well dressed, 20's and 30's couples coming out to party, or get the party started.
    I guess there are Dominicans with Moneyyyyyyyyy.jajajajaja

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information