Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 07/2013 - You think it will never happen in Sosua?

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Re: You think it will never happen in Sosua?

Bit of an update:

The Russian developer has not bought the land where these 2 restaurants/bars where located. He has bought the land surrounding and adjacent to this area and didn't want these 'shack type' businesses ruining his ambiance or his view.

His agent, a long term Cabarete resident, negotiated with the 2 owners, reached agreement and organized the destruction before anyone could get wind of it and organize a protest.

Today the 2 owners were paid RD$1 million and RD$1.8 million respectively.

Money talks indeed!!!!!

It is worth bearing in mind that the owners were effectively squatters.

The only good news is that I have it confirmed that the access road is public property and access to the river and ocean cannot be denied.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Ever since the breaking of the Soviet Empire, an entire new generation has grown up with a rebirth of the free market. It has caused a huge increase of new found wealth and an ever expanding middle class. Those folks now have the spending cash to travel and invest. They like warm weather, beaches, resorts just like the rest of us. Gets a little chilly in Moscow during winter.

The Thailand Tourist Board has budgeted millions in tourist promotion to the Eastern European and Russian market places. Thai Airways runs daily non-stop flights from Moscow to Bangkok. Whose to say that the DR, in their quest to expand from the "traditional" tourist market, doesn't want to grab a piece of that new pie?

Pattaya has Russian tv channels, radio stations, real estate businesses geared specifically for Russian speaking people, most all restaurants have menus in Russian. The problem is, is that they are not well known for interacting with people from other places. They seem to prefer their own company and not nearly as eager to assimilate with everyone else like those of us from Western countries.

Maybe one day, Rick will have to include a Russian column on his menu at Rockys.

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Maybe one day, Rick will have to include a Russian column on his menu at Rockys.
    or end working for them as they tear down the strip and rebuild it to their standards
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    personally, to me the price of a flight to POP needs to come down a bit. POP is the second highest priced Caribbean airport, so I was told???
    mi concur......
    mi know San Andres is the most expensive in the Caribbean and next would have to be POP......
    if anyone ever has the chance to go to San Andres then do it....it's where the Colombians gurls go to vacation....
    my Montego Bay Jamaica is one of the cheapest if not the cheapest place to fly to from Florida......

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    or end working for them as they tear down the strip and rebuild it to their standards
    Glastnost forever!! Skol.....

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

This is not the first time this has happened.

Willie, remember when they tore down all the squatters homes on the road into Cabarete, a couple of kilometers before you reach Ohmms place when you're driving from Sosua to Cabarete? The big junk yard full of american cars? Huge news when they went in and knocked it all down.

How about Longbeach in Puerto Plata?

How about all of the squatter houses they tore down between Sabaneta and Rio San Juan. The fish shacks?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some are torn down as well in Maimon, once the port is constructed.

This is just the next step towards wiping out the slums on prime real estate on the north coast.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

Willie, remember when they tore down all the squatters homes on the road into Cabarete, a couple of kilometers before you reach Ohmms place when you're driving from Sosua to Cabarete? The big junk yard full of american cars? Huge news when they went in and knocked it all down.

How about all of the squatter houses they tore down between Sabaneta and Rio San Juan. The fish shacks?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some are torn down as well in Maimon, once the port is constructed.

This is just the next step towards wiping out the slums on prime real estate on the north coast.
    Of course it's not, and it won't be the last time either.

I recall the Cape Kite destruction well. It was my 1st experience of a huelga in country and couldn't really understand why the police/army did nothing when the fuckers threw rocks at my yipeta.I learnt real fast.

Funny thing is 10 years further on that land is still in dispute and nothing has been developed although a number of people have lost their lives over it.

I also spoke with the wife of one the restaurant owners today. She was very upset that this had happened. I'm guessing that either she was acting the part to garner sympathy or more likely the husband hasn't told her he actually sold the place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

And the little settlement at Bergantin where the inmates at Playa Dorada could walk along the beach to get a blowjob and a fish dinner from a lady who never washed her hands between the two tasks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    And the little settlement at Bergantin where the inmates at Playa Dorada could walk along the beach to get a blowjob and a fish dinner from a lady who never washed her hands between the two tasks.
    weyland, you old coffin dodger! The things we learn from you.

Btw, how was the bj and fish??

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The new plans for this area are out now.

http://labocacabarete.com/

It seems to have a lot of support in town.

Despite partnering with a developer who has a less than stellar track record the guys behind this are 100% committed to make it happen.

US$25 million private investment..............mere pocket change to these boys........still believe it will never happen in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Sosua in 1958... Everything changes... These have been the good ole times we are living in...

10462441_10152580856981873_723360264961352992_n.jpg

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,833 Times in 279 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    The Central bank bought the land for a new AI project that never came to pass. All the little business and the people that gained some income from them were destroyed. Another favorite beach where I used to go for an afternoon. Even before Long Beach was bulldozed the Puerto Plata locals used to enjoy a beach where the Costa Dorada complex is now located. There as a softball diamond and food vendors and a very nice beach. At least that project was completed and created some jobs.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DominicanBilly For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Re: 07/2013 - You think it will never happen in Sosua?

You guys and all your sadness. You are all making me.....sad. Squatters have no rights, they're squatting. They're not paying anybody. They have the right to leave, that's all. The OWNER of the property can do with it as he pleases - within the law.

24 hour notice to squatters is pretty fair I think. I once gave some squatters 48 hours notice.
    I must be a super nice guy?

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    The past 2 days have seen the complete destruction of the beach bars and restaurants at La Boca, just east of Cabarete.

For those that do not know La Boca is where the Rio Yasica meets the ocean, river on one side with the ocean on the other side, 2 restaurants and bars, weekends were packed and has been a great hang out place for me for the last 11 years.

Russian developers have bought the land and the govt organized the tearing down of the structures within the last 48 hours.

It is unclear whether or not public access will be allowed or denied in the future.

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Such a shame. I have fond memories of the place.

Vida es buena....

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Caberete is one of my favourite places in the world. Where else can you get so much for so little money?
    It's bound to change. Especially when you compare pricing to other Caribbean destinations.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have found you that you can usually find a nice Chica on Cabarete beach (usually in the dance bar next to the sports bar) - without all the pressure of the Sosua Bar strip.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to peterk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Such a shame. I have fond memories of the place.

Click to see pic
    There were awesome things there such as long beach in Puerto Plata way before most of you guys arrived.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information