Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08/2013 - Alamo-National, Republica Dominicana, discount codes

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

08/2013 - Alamo-National, Republica Dominicana, discount codes

Alamo, National, Enterprise are based in St. Louis, Missouri, pleasant people at their corporate office there.

If you rent with Alamo or National in the Dom. Rep., it will be the same workers and same cars.

20% off from Alamo's webpage:
    20% Off in Latin America
    Available from 05/01/2012 - 12/31/2013

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rent.../offset=0.html

Click details to use the coupon code.

BJs Travel Site also offers coupon codes for the big rental companies that will save you money (some work for the Dominican Republic); http://travel.bjs.com/car-rentals/

The Nissan Versa in the photos costs a little less than $40US per day using the 20% off Alamo coupon, renting at the Santo Domingo Airport (open 24/7), rate includes $3.75 for glass/tire insurance per day and $9 per day for Third Party Liability Insurance (Mastercard Credit Card provides some coverage for free when paying with their card). Alamo-National has about 10 locations in the Dominican Republic, I have rented with them over 20 times and not had any major problems. The car in the photos had less than 7000 miles on the odometer when I rented it (unlimited miles with Alamo-National in the Dominican Republic). This car has a CD player and probably a connection for an ipod or other external music player.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

Re: Alamo-National, Republica Dominicana, discount codes

Did the Nissan have cruise control? I'm going next month. The last time I drove the new highway I had trouble maintaining the low speed limits.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nnjdave View Post
    Did the Nissan have cruise control? I'm going next month. The last time I drove the new highway I had trouble maintaining the low speed limits.
    Yes.

I didn't try the cruise control. On the steering wheel there are buttons for the cruise control. Also on the steering wheel are buttons for the radio (volume, track, station) and to answer a cell phone.

Larger numbers on the speedometer are for kilometers per hour, smaller numbers are for miles per hour. Approximate 6 to 10 ratio. 100 kilometers is about 60 miles. Multiple the first number (or numbers, double digit numbers and above) in the kilometer by 6 to arrive at an approximation of the amount of miles, 40 kilometers, 6 x 4 is about 24 miles, 70 kilometers is about 42 miles 7x6=42). Road signs in the Dom. Rep. which show distances to various towns and cities use kilometers (km). Averaging 60 mph (a mile a minute), a town 30 miles away is about 30 minutes away.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-08-2013 at 12:26 AM.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't think I have heard of a person getting a speeding ticket on the highway in Dominican Republic.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

I'm not worried about a ticket, but I am worried about a road-side fine. Thanks for the info.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not worried about a ticket, but I am worried about a road-side fine. Thanks for the info.
    Thanks. Getting pulled over on the highway I have not seen in the DR.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    Thanks. Getting pulled over on the highway I have not seen in the DR.

LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet. I see it on a daily basis.

Now, if you're talking slecifically about on the Autopista Duarte, then yes, it's fairly uncommon. They mainly stop trucks to check for contraband.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet. I see it on a daily basis.

Now, if you're talking slecifically about on the Autopista Duarte, then yes, it's fairly uncommon. They mainly stop trucks to check for contraband.
    Thanks.

A patrol car or a motorcycle driving on the Highway, flashing lights and having a driver pull over on a Highway in the Dominican Republic for speeding, I have never seen in more than ten years of driving in the Dominican Republic.

In the DR there are sometimes checkpoints on the side of roads where some drivers are motioned to pull over and stop (has nothing to do with speeding). Military, Drug Police, Policia Nacional and AMET (traffic police) I have seen their checkpoints on some roads in the DR.
    • File Type: jpg ok.JPG (103.0 KB, 45 vistas)

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Autodromo

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    LOL... then you haven't driven here enough yet.
    Some booty at 1:04 of the video, lol.

Autodromo Mobil 1, http://www.autodromomobil1.com located between the SDQ airport and the city;

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good Drivers

Auto Racetrack (Autodromo), Mobil 1, Santo Domingo:

Autodromo pics from bufeo.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (100.3 KB, 28 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (105.6 KB, 18 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (53.4 KB, 32 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (93.7 KB, 21 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (78.2 KB, 39 vistas)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (73.5 KB, 24 vistas)
    Last edited by Jao; 08-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

....A patrol car or a motorcycle driving on the Highway, flashing lights and having a driver pull over on a Highway in the Dominican Republic for speeding, I have never seen in more than ten years of driving in the Dominican Republic......
    It is infrequent because they do not have a lot of RADAR units, and of the few I have seen they were hand held not mounted in the car. I have seen them run RADAR and pull people over for speeding in 3 places, one location in Santiago and one in La Capital. The one that I have seen the most is in the corridor where DR1 and DR5 intersect at Naverrete although I have only seen them 3 or 4 times in 8 years, my cousin tells me they are there frequently.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    It is infrequent because they do not have a lot of RADAR units, and of the few I have seen they were hand held not mounted in the car. I have seen them run RADAR and pull people over for speeding in 3 places, one location in Santiago and one in La Capital. The one that I have seen the most is in the corridor where DR1 and DR5 intersect at Naverrete although I have only seen them 3 or 4 times in 8 years, my cousin tells me they are there frequently.
    For me it is a pleasure to drive in the Dominican Republic, good roads, good rental car, good weather, no heavy traffic on the highways I use.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Alamo, National, Enterprise are based in St. Louis, Missouri, pleasant people at their corporate office there.

If you rent with Alamo or National in the Dom. Rep., it will be the same workers and same cars.

20% off from Alamo's webpage:
    20% Off in Latin America
    Available from 05/01/2012 - 12/31/2013

https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rent.../offset=0.html

Click details to use the coupon code.

BJs Travel Site also offers coupon codes for the big rental companies that will save you money (some work for the Dominican Republic); http://travel.bjs.com/car-rentals/

The Nissan Versa in the photos costs a little less than $40US per day using the 20% off Alamo coupon, renting at the Santo Domingo Airport (open 24/7), rate includes $3.75 for glass/tire insurance per day and $9 per day for Third Party Liability Insurance (Mastercard Credit Card provides some coverage for free when paying with their card). Alamo-National has about 10 locations in the Dominican Republic, I have rented with them over 20 times and not had any major problems. The car in the photos had less than 7000 miles on the odometer when I rented it (unlimited miles with Alamo-National in the Dominican Republic). This car has a CD player and probably a connection for an ipod or other external music player.
    Does this mean that if you have an accident you will only be covered for damage to the glass and tires, any other damage you would have to pay for?

Have you ever had an accident and "tested" the insurance? Do you get Casa de Conducter insurance?

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    Does this mean that if you have an accident you will only be covered for damage to the glass and tires, any other damage you would have to pay for?

Have you ever had an accident and "tested" the insurance? Do you get Casa de Conducter insurance?
    Alamo offers an insurance that covers the loss of the vehicle and third party liability insurance (the two combined with one price) for around $19US per day. Mastercard Credit Card offers to cover the loss of the rental car if you pay for the rental with their card (probably will not cover expensive SUVs). Therefore I decline the $19 combined insurance from alamo. When you decline that insurance with Alamo it is mandatory that you take the Third Party Liability Insurance for $9US per day.

Glass and Tire Insurance costs about $3.75 per day. I have had at least 3 tires replaced, that cost me nothing. If the windshield gets damaged or tires get damaged on the rental, you pay for nothing if you have the insurance. If the tire gets destroyed on the rental and you didn't take the insurance you have to pay for a replacement tire (the tire is not repairable) or pay to fix the flat if it is repairable.

Casa de Conductor I don't believe is offered by Alamo (Alamo had Universal Insurance Company for the last car I rented. Universal offers casa de conductor insurance).

Not a good idea to drink and drive in the Dom Rep. Not a good idea to drive fast in populated areas. The highways where I drive fast are oftentimes 4 lanes that go through unpopulated areas.

I will be renting with Alamo again in less than two weeks and will ask what exactly the Third Party Liability Insurance (Bodily Injuries and Property Damage to Third Parties?) covers.

One time I had two tires on an Alamo car go bad at the same time, Alamo sent a truck to the hotel where I was staying and an Alamo worker replaced the tires free of charge (I had the insurance).

One time I locked the car keys inside the car in Santiago near the monument, a nice old Dominican lawyer with a house in front of where I parked invited me into his house and he called Alamo. Alamo sent a worker to open the door, free of charge. I hung out in the lawyer's house while I waited for the alamo worker to come and became friend's with the lawyer. (Santiago has parking meters in the area near the monument, I had gotten a parking ticket earlier that day and paid it and was determined not to get another parking ticket, with that distraction I locked the keys in the car).

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

Thanks for sharing Jao.

Priceline is a great look also for those who like to rent. I've done priceline every single trip and it works great as a baseline and you can negotiate from there if you want a better vehicle than what you've reserved and helps to ensure they don't overcharge you. I usually make 4-5 different reservations at POP via priceline in case one of them acts up. Just did some comparison with priceline and looks like I can still get a better deal through priceline. I just reserved a "Mid-Sized Car" (Mitsubishi Lancer or similar) for a total of $170.95 for 6 days. No coverage included... I usually use the credit card insurance but even if you add coverage its still cheaper than the $254.74 Alamo has for their intermediate car with their deal. Warning... do not neglect to get coverage if you intend on letting others drive the vehicle

**Edit** Thrifty also has a midsize for $160.95 (6days) on priceline 6 days. reserving that one too.
    The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    Thanks for sharing Jao.

Priceline is a great look also for those who like to rent. I've done priceline every single trip and it works great as a baseline and you can negotiate from there if you want a better vehicle than what you've reserved and helps to ensure they don't overcharge you. I usually make 4-5 different reservations at POP via priceline in case one of them acts up. Just did some comparison with priceline and looks like I can still get a better deal through priceline. I just reserved a "Mid-Sized Car" (Mitsubishi Lancer or similar) for a total of $170.95 for 6 days. No coverage included... I usually use the credit card insurance but even if you add coverage its still cheaper than the $254.74 Alamo has for their intermediate car with their deal. Warning... do not neglect to get coverage if you intend on letting others drive the vehicle

**Edit** Thrifty also has a midsize for $160.95 (6days) on priceline 6 days. reserving that one too.
    Thanks.

Rate for a one week rental for the Nissan Versa at the Santo Domingo Airport in August is $142 for Alamo using Alamo's 20% off coupon code (Third Party Liability Insurance will make this go higher as will the optional glass/tire insurance). With the Third Party Liability Insurance and the Tire/Glass Insurance, the total rate for the Nissan Versa rented at the Santo Domingo Airport for one week in August is about $36 per day.

Some of the Jetblue flights arrive at around 4am into SDQ airport, I have rented from Alamo at that hour. Alamo is open 24/7 at the Santo Domingo Airport.

Save all receipts from the rental and print out the reservation with the price and bring it to DR. Avis customer service in the US was very good at correcting any billing problems after some of my first rentals with them in the Dom Rep. Hertz was excellent in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My first time driving in the DR, I drove a mitsubishi car rented from Avis from SDQ to Sosua (exited SDQ airport around 5pm arrived to Sosua around midnight, first time driving in Dom Rep, first time entering Santo Domingo and first time visiting the north coast, I was not planning to drive that trip).

Nowadays guys can look at google maps before a trip, or have GPS or look at youtube videos, or get advice from guys on this site. I barely spoke Spanish and had not looked at a map before driving for the first time in DR (at night).

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post

From Alamo's website:

"Third Party Liability (Mandatory if CDW-TP is declined)

Third Party Liabiliy (TPL)
    is included in Collision Damage Waiver-Theft Protection.

TPL provides you with minimum financial responsibility limits as outlined in the applicable motor vehicle financial responsibility laws of the country where the vehicle is operated.

TPL provides liability coverage up to 500,000 DOP (approximately $17,250 USD) per person and a maximum total of 1,000,000 DOP (approximately $34,500 USD). Property damage is limited to a maximum total of 500,000 DOP (approximately $17,250 USD)."

I have not had to make use of any car insurance.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

Go a week later and its $250 plus for the same vehicle. Why are they changing their rates for later dates??

Thanks.

Rate for a one week rental for the Nissan Versa at the Santo Domingo Airport in August is $142 for Alamo using Alamo's 20% off coupon code (Third Party Liability Insurance will make this go higher as will the optional glass/tire insurance). With the Third Party Liability Insurance and the Tire/Glass Insurance, the total rate for the Nissan Versa rented at the Santo Domingo Airport for one week in August is about $36 per day.

Some of the Jetblue flights arrive at around 4am into SDQ airport, I have rented from Alamo at that hour. Alamo is open 24/7 at the Santo Domingo Airport.

Save all receipts from the rental and print out the reservation with the price and bring it to DR. Avis customer service in the US was very good at correcting any billing problems after some of my first rentals with them in the Dom Rep. Hertz was excellent in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My first time driving in the DR, I drove a mitsubishi car rented from Avis from SDQ to Sosua (exited SDQ airport around 5pm arrived to Sosua around midnight, first time driving in Dom Rep, first time entering Santo Domingo and first time visiting the north coast, I was not planning to drive that trip).

Nowadays guys can look at google maps before a trip, or have GPS or look at youtube videos, or get advice from guys on this site. I barely spoke Spanish and had not looked at a map before driving for the first time in DR (at night).

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Go a week later and its $250 plus for the same vehicle. Why are they changing their rates for later dates??
    From Alamo's webpage, for a one week rental last week in August 2013, picking up the rental from their main office in Santo Domingo, price is $126 for the Nissan Versa (the $9US per day Third Party Liability Insurance will bump up the price) about $27US per day with the insurance included in this rate;

Intermediate Automatic

Nissan Versa 1.8 (or similar)
    Total Savings:
    YOU PAY

(Total: USD126.92)

Last edited by Jao; 08-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For September 2013, with Alamo I found a price for a one week rental for the Chevrolet Spark getting the car in Santiago (Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte), for $113 and for the Nissan Versa picking the car up in Santiago (Avenida Juan Pablo Duarte) for $148.

Thanks for your post. Prices can vary.

I check prices using the coupon code from BJs Travel Site with Alamo and National (same cars in the DR) as well the 20% off coupon code Alamo.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information