Thread: Whatsapp works with Claro no wifi necessary

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

Whatsapp works with Claro no wifi necessary

Whatsapp is a good free (one dollar after the first year) messaging program for cell phones. Contact profile photos are visible, easy to send photos and videos. Seems Claro deducts a small amount from your prepaid cell account for each message sent.

Whatsapp also works with wifi connections. With wifi, the messages are free.

Nice thing is if you forget what a contact looks like, look at their profile picture or ask them to send a photo, sent photos and videos appear right away.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

For adding money to a prepaid Claro cell phone I use either https://www.aryty.com or http://www.ezetop.com with a bank or credit card.

New SIM card with a DR cell phone number costs about 150 pesos at Claro (about $3.51US).

Unlocked GSM cell phones that take SIM cards can be purchased online at amazon, ebay, newegg and expansys (www.expansys-usa.com/‎). Some cell phones are factory unlocked from Samsung, Sony and Nokia. Some newer cell phones use a micro-sim or mini-sim, cutters are available with adapters to cut a regular sim card into the smaller size. When you purchase the SIM card in the DR the worker will check the size and will sell you the appropriate size SIM.

I travel with a small USB docking station that charges the phone and a second battery (costs about $9US). Having a second charged battery (or other battery source) can be useful. http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon%C2%AE-P.../dp/B002NWRAG0

If you want to connect to the internet using your cell phone with a claro SIM card, tell the worker at Claro and they will explain (I haven't tried it yet). Daily internet rate might be around 50-55 pesos (less than $2US). Claro also sells weekly and monthly packages as well.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-30-2013 at 07:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Re: Whatsapp works with Claro no wifi necessary

I don't think you understand this completely.

If you have a smartphone On Claro, all apps that use Data (Whatsapp, tango, Viber, facebook, Google Maps, etc) will (usually) work without issue..
    BUT..you will pay through the nose for the privilege. You should be especially careful about this when using an iphone as it's always connecting/updating etc. I once went through 700 pesos in a few hours because I forgot that my data plan had expired.

If you plan to use Data, you should purchase a Data plan. You can pay by the day, week or month.
    If not..stick to wifi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    I don't think you understand this completely.

If you have a smartphone On Claro, all apps that use Data (Whatsapp, tango, Viber, facebook, Google Maps, etc) will (usually) work without issue..
    BUT..you will pay through the nose for the privilege. You should be especially careful about this when using an iphone as it's always connecting/updating etc. I once went through 700 pesos in a few hours because I forgot that my data plan had expired.

If you plan to use Data, you should purchase a Data plan. You can pay by the day, week or month.
    If not..stick to wifi.
    Thanks.

I didn't check, a DR chica said it was not a lot when using whatsapp. Seems it might be cheaper than sending text messages. Sometimes wifi is not available and for me to chat on whatsapp just about anywhere is a nice convenience. I think I added money to my Claro account about 2 times in a week, each $10 for a total of $20US. I wasn't constantly chatting on whatsapp, but I used it regularly. For me it is much much better than using the text messaging on the cell phone, with whatsapp I can see (photo) who I am chatting with.

In whatsapp settings I believe you can set up priority to use wifi first if available and if not then use the other source. An option to disable if roaming and no wifi.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    Thanks.

I didn't check, a DR chica said it was not a lot when using whatsapp. Seems it might be cheaper than sending text messages. Sometimes wifi is not available and for me to chat on whatsapp just about anywhere is a nice convenience. I think I added money to my Claro account about 2 times in a week, each $10 for a total of $20US. I wasn't constantly chatting on whatsapp, but I used it regularly. For me it is much much better than using the text messaging on the cell phone, with whatsapp I can see (photo) who I am chatting with.

In whatsapp settings I believe you can set up priority to use wifi first if available and if not then use the other source. An option to disable if roaming and no wifi.
    I pay my cleaning girls internet access for her Blackberry, and it's 50 pesos a day. That lets her use her BB messenger, whatsapp, and viber, and internet access.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I pay my cleaning girls internet access for her Blackberry, and it's 50 pesos a day. That lets her use her BB messenger, whatsapp, and viber, and internet access.
    One of my first trips to the DR I used my Verizon cell phone from the States, made a few calls from the DR to the States and the charge was over $60US. This past trip I made calls to the States, local calls in the DR, sent old fashioned SMS messages and sent many whatsapp messages (with photos), and maybe it cost me $20US with Claro. With whatsapp photos are sent and received with ease. I have a Claro sim card, that when I bought it, I didn't ask for internet access.

Texting with whatsapp generally speaking, in Spanish, is oftentimes easier than speaking Spanish for me on the cell phone. Conversations are stored and can be forwarded to other users.

I was told about Viber today.

With whatsapp you can send a message, take a photo or video and send it to a contact in just about any location where you may be, at the beach, in a taxi, etc. In the past with the old fashioned SMS text messaging it was not possible for some DR contacts to send a photo unless they had multimedia with their SIM card.

Connecting with free wifi is preferable but not always possible. This past trip the apartment I used had a wired internet connection but no wifi router, being able to use whatsapp easily with a Claro sim card, was great for me.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1 in front of the area code

I use an old Nokia cell phone with a 2 inch non-touch screen (fine with my $4US reading glasses). At least with this cell, if I want to call or send a text to a DR number from the States, I have to have the 1 in front of the DR cell number area code. When I am in the DR with this cell phone using a Claro chip (SIM card) I have to have a 1 in front of the US phone number's area code (without the 1 the call will not go through).

Seems when I am in the DR using this cell with a Claro SIM and try to send an SMS text message or make a call, seems they will not go through if there is a 1 in front of the DR area code. I have to edit the number and remove the 1. Maybe it is just something with this particular cell phone.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

$35US dual sim cell with wifi, unlocked

Blu Deco Pro Q360T White Touch Screen QWERTY Keyboard Wi-Fi 3.2 MP Camera Bluetooth Dual-SIM Unlocked GSM Cell Phone.

A newegg daily deal; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-032-_-Product

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: $35US dual sim cell with wifi, unlocked

Blu Deco Pro Q360T White Touch Screen QWERTY Keyboard Wi-Fi 3.2 MP Camera Bluetooth Dual-SIM Unlocked GSM Cell Phone.

A newegg daily deal; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-032-_-Product
    you're better off buying a used blackberry or android phone on ebay. those cheap off-brand phones are generally garbage.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    you're better off buying a used blackberry or android phone on ebay. those cheap off-brand phones are generally garbage.
    Last trip wingman used a Unnecto $30 phone, unlocked, new, worked fine. On a different trip another wingman used a $20 Blu cell for calls, no problems. Both the Unnecto and Blu were Unlocked out of the box, small, claro sim card worked no problem.

$299US Blu brand cell phone that gets good reviews on amazon; http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Unlocked-Q...8972583&sr=1-9 .

I use an old factory unlocked Nokia in the DR.
    Last edited by Jao; 09-12-2013 at 03:46 AM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

I use an old factory unlocked Nokia in the DR.
    that is good cause to unlock a Nokia can sometimes cost an arm and a leg.....
    I have to stay away from Nokia's for that reason......unless they are already unlocked

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: 1 in front of the area code

I have to edit the number and remove the 1. Maybe it is just something with this particular cell phone.
    when you are in the Caribbean you can't or don't want have a one in front of the number when making a local call.....
    for the most part the call isn't suppose to go thru...if it does your suppose to get charged the outside the country rate....

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    that is good cause to unlock a Nokia can sometimes cost an arm and a leg.....
    I have to stay away from Nokia's for that reason......unless they are already unlocked
    Sony seems to sell numerous factory unlocked cell phones. Factory unlocked cell phones are sometimes referred to as world phones. Some people sell supposedly factory unlocked cell phones, which may have ATT or some other company's name on the front case, they are not unlocked from the factory. Seems once a phone is unlocked from ATT or Rogers (Canada), most people have no problem using it in other parts of the world. I have read some reviews of non-factory unlocked cell phones where people had trouble using the phone or all of its features after it was unlocked. Verizon branded cell phones I won't touch for the DR (Verizon uses CDMA and oftentimes no SIM card).

Maybe in Europe all cell phones are unlocked, maybe for a factory unlocked cell phone, you might get a European model that comes with a small adapter for when you plug it into the wall to charge.

I like a physical keyboard for chatting. I have never used a Blackberry cell phone.

Nokia was recently bought by Microsoft. Nokia phones now use the windows operating system, with the latest being Windows 8. On Nokia's webpage they list a few newer cell phones that are not locked to a particular carrier (touchscreen).

If using mostly only for calls in the DR, an inexpensive Unnecto or Blu will work.

Blu Samba Q next to a Nokia E71. BLU Q53i-VLT Samba JR Plus Quadband Phone with QWERTY Keypad, Camera, Dual Sim, Bluetooth, is $29.99 at Amazon and $30.99US at Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875561078. Newegg offers promo codes during sales that could knock $10US off the price (sign up for their newsletter for free to get info on sales sent to an email address).

República Federativa do Brasil, Samba;

Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by Jao; 09-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

One thing I noticed during my last trip is that chicas seemed to ditching their BBs for android or iPhones if they could. Might be wrong, but it looks like the Dominican love affair with BB is fading fast. The screens just aren't large enough when you're using your smartphone as your only Internet connection device.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    One thing I noticed during my last trip is that chicas seemed to ditching their BBs for android or iPhones if they could. Might be wrong, but it looks like the Dominican love affair with BB is fading fast. The screens just aren't large enough when you're using your smartphone as your only Internet connection device.
    As a handset maker of cell phones the company RIM (or whatever it may be called now), may not be around much longer (company that makes blackberry). Windows, Apple and Android cell phones dominate the worldwide market.

It was a familiar refrain, I want a BB. Next it will be I want a samsung galaxy latest model. At least with android and windows phones you can get a relatively good one for not a great expense of money. The Blackberry cell phones were always expensive.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It was a familiar refrain, I want a BB. Next it will be I want a samsung galaxy latest model. At least with android and windows phones you can get a relatively good one for not a great expense of money. The Blackberry cell phones were always expensive.
    Maybe Jamaicans are behind the times but they still want those Blackberries......so they can do dat BBM chit.......
    though many will take the Iphones and now the Galaxy.....but they won't pay for them.....
    they'll only pay for a Blackberries or sumthin they can afford......all hookers expect to be given a phone.......

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thread Information