Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My bout with Dengue

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

My bout with Dengue

This is still ongoing but I will post my experience with this deadly disease...

Dengue fever (UK /ˈdɛŋɡeɪ/ or US /ˈdɛŋɡiː/), also known as breakbone fever, is an infectious tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, and a characteristic skin rash that is similar to measles. In a small proportion of cases the disease develops into the life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever, resulting in bleeding, low levels of blood platelets and blood plasma leakage, or into dengue shock syndrome, where dangerously low blood pressure occurs.

Dengue is transmitted by several species of mosquito within the genus Aedes, principally A. aegypti. The virus has four different types; infection with one type usually gives lifelong immunity to that type, but only short-term immunity to the others. Subsequent infection with a different type increases the risk of severe complications. As there is no commercially available vaccine, prevention is sought by reducing the habitat and the number of mosquitoes and limiting exposure to bites.

Treatment of acute dengue is supportive, using either oral or intravenous rehydration for mild or moderate disease, and intravenous fluids and blood transfusion for more severe cases. The incidence of dengue fever has increased dramatically since the 1960s, with around 50–100 million people infected yearly. Early descriptions of the condition date from 1779, and its viral cause and the transmission were elucidated in the early 20th century. Dengue has become a global problem since the Second World War and is endemic in more than 110 countries. Apart from eliminating the mosquitoes, work is ongoing on a vaccine, as well as medication targeted directly at the virus.
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: My bout with Dengue

In the black corner at 5' 11" and 210lbs - El Rey in the Blue corner at .6 inches and 2.5 milligrams the Dengue mosquito...

Not much of a match right?

Well the other night I was in Santiago with a few lady friends and we just hung out for a while hitting a few spots and drinking. Nothing abnormal. The next morning I woke up feeling like I was just ran over by a truck twice. I figured I was getting the onset of the flu and just downed some OJ and decided to head back to Sosua to nurse myself back to normal fast.
    On the drive back I was hit with an intense fever and and urge to vomit every time I opened my mouth. I made it back and passed out with some meds figuring I would be better in a day or two.
    I don't get sick often but when I do my body pretty much reminds me of all the fun I had when I wasn't sick. I call it the Reset button. Well the next day the queen is nursing me and she is trying to figure out WHY my fever has not gone away for at least a few hours. The fever was intense and never actually went away. Bad headache, nausea and the aka break bone fever is real as it gets. I felt as if my bones were breaking with each movement.

I kept in pain and figured Im just getting hit hard by the flu bug, Ill be better soon. By day 3 it was evident I was getting worse. Now I have never had an injury or sickness where I got WORSE so this was new to me. Trying to force feed myself and not vomit was a challenge.. No matter how much I held back I would eventually lose the battle to not throw up. I would vomit at least twice a day.

The pain in my body would not cease and it was like I forgot I was in this terrible car accident because I couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain.

After the queen watched me for two days suffer in agony her and her mother forced me to the hospital. I gave in after vomiting for a straight 3minutes...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Day 1 in the hospital in montellano

I walk in and immediately the doctor can see I am dehydrated. He orders an IV before even doing an exam as he can tell I am torn down by something. As time goes on they do the proper test and admit me all the while feeling it is dengue.
    Im a pretty decent sized dude even when Im not in the gym and this shit crippled my big ass down to nothing. I don't fear death but if this is the shit that comes before it? Count me out. No one should suffer like this.
    Im given meds and painkillers and a whole cocktail of drugs to ease my pain. The first day is bad as I am in so much pain the drugs work for all of two hours. The next day they tell me its confirmed and I indeed have dengue. Now I have to take a course of action to get better and it will be a long and tough road. Im still dealing with terrible nausea and in one night I vomit 8 times.. Yes 8... Im in pain and at a loss.. What happened to say your prayers and eat your vitamins? Thanx Hogan that shit is right out the window.

Mamma liz aint raise no quitter but Im ready to tap out. Its so bad the queen is in tears every time I raise my head because im back to vomiting each time. She is worried as it was made clear many people die from this disease. Or "Banana country disease" as my doctor called it.

Next day the doc gets me straight and ups my meds as well as a special pill for nausea and vomiting of which I cherish like gold. No more fever, Not as much pain but with no vomiting I can function normally. My hands and feet feel like someone tied a rubberband and stopped the blood flow. Kind of like pins and needles.

Im doing 100 times better than I was but still only at about 75% of me. This is a very dangerous disease and the pain and suffering you receive from this small mosquito bite is amazing.

Still trying to fight the good fight.. Keep you posted.

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Hope you recover soon. I have read that Dengue becomes even more dangerous if you happen to contract it again. You're going to have to be careful!

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Hope you recover soon. I have read that Dengue becomes even more dangerous if you happen to contract it again. You're going to have to be careful!
    How do you be more careful... There are mosquitos everywhere in DR... All I can think of is don't roll around in the woods with your preferred chica... El Rey, glad to hear you are doing better, and hopefully back to normal again soon!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 2,001 Posts

Feel better I would wish that type of suffering on anyone.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3_Sith_Lord For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Damn homie

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Do you know exactly where and when you got bit?

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,936 Times in 688 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    How do you be more careful... There are mosquitos everywhere in DR...
    First off, get well homie. 2nd, I was very surprised on my trip that I suffered absolutely no bites. I fully expected an onslaught, but no bites or bumrushing my ears. Maybe my velcro like hairiness kept them at bay. ROUSes were a different story.
    Pac-man aka Panocha Villa

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pac-Man For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: My bout with Dengue

...feel better hermano!

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Get well soon...
    Blue Devil

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Woww scary. I hope you get better soon.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Glad to hear you got through most of it. Hope you recover quickly from now... Thanks for letting us know what happened. Our sympathy for what you have gone through.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

get better soon, THANK YOU for sharing. I hope everyone else makes notes about the symptoms and potential of this sickness. Most of us like el rey, and myself will shake it off believing it is just the flu then bam you out for weeks.

Every travel should know what hospital, and medical options in any country you go to.
    "If pussy was a stock, it would be plummeting right now, because you flooded the market with it, you are giving it away too easy" -Dave Chappelle

25. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post
    Day 1 in the hospital in montellano

What hospital in Montellano? You talking about the public clinic there? Do they even have a pivate clinic there? If you went to the public clinic then the Dengue fever was probably the least of your worries. I've seen first hand some of the work the public clinic has done. It wasn't pretty.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Get well soon... Sorry to hear this happened to you.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,555 Times in 660 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    What hospital in Montellano? You talking about the public clinic there? Do they even have a pivate clinic there? If you went to the public clinic then the Dengue fever was probably the least of your worries. I've seen first hand some of the work the public clinic has done. It wasn't pretty.

Montellano appears too small to have a hospital and, as Robert is pointing out, going to a public clinic may increase the problems instead of solving them. However, you obviously found help somewhere and received the hydration and other support therapy you needed and are getting better. Sorry to hear of your troubles. With those little mosquitos always nibbling at my ankles I do have an occasional worry about coming down with dengue. Which brings up the next obvious question? Where would I go to get help? Since I usually stay in Sosua, I assume I would go to CMC Cllinic/Hospital. Would that be the right choice? I often drive past the Puerto Plata hospital on the Circumvencion and the CMC Clinic looks a whole lot cleaner and welcoming that the POP hospital. However, perhaps that hospital has more resources. So for dengue and perhaps a few other problems, where do ISOC members go and/or suggest to go for assistance?

30. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sonrisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post
    This is still ongoing but I will post my experience with this deadly disease...
    Hope you get better soon!!

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your illness. Get Well soon champ!

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandcobra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Note to self: Pack a shitload of OFF spray my next trip to the DR.

36. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information