Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for MrHappy

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Question for MrHappy

How is jurisdiction decided between the Politur and the Policia Nacional? I assume the most serious crimes would be handled by the National Police. But street fights and such I wonder about. I have seen both agencies making arrests in the street ect..

Which one has more "juice"?
    Enjoy it while you can.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: Question for MrHappy

What I was told last night is that the Policia Nacional is the "Dominican police force" and the Politur is the police for all foreigners. If someone breaks into my house I should call the Politur. I am assuming this pertains to crimes committed against foreigners and not to crimes committed by foreigners because I know the National Police arrest foreigners all the time.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    What I was told last night is that the Policia Nacional is the "Dominican police force" and the Politur is the police for all foreigners. If someone breaks into my house I should call the Politur. I am assuming this pertains to crimes committed against foreigners and not to crimes committed by foreigners because I know the National Police arrest foreigners all the time.

My mother is a former Policia Nacional, many many moons ago, from what I've been told by her. The Politur are police for tourist, in tourist sections. IE the name Politur. Take example in SD, there's a Politur station on the corner off the street on the main strip in El Conde, I'm sure if some tourist are being hassled, have a crime to complain, or whatever that's who they'd take it up with, my understanding is that they're basically there to make sure tourist stay in one piece, but that they really don't have much power, outside of the pockets of which they're in. The PN, however is the national Dominican police force, and are regular cops just like anywhere else. Politur are there to make sure tourist are fine, but someone like yourself who lives there, and isn't a tourist, would probably be better off going to the PN (although you're really never better off involving them in ANY matter.) It's not like something where the police force is broken into two different sets, the ones for foreigners, and the ones for Dominicans. It's like the politur have a presence in high gringo areas, but don't have much juice or power in comparison to the PN.

This is my basic understanding of how it is, maybe someone else can chime in.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    My mother is a former Policia Nacional, many many moons ago, from what I've been told by her. The Politur are police for tourist, in tourist sections. IE the name Politur. Take example in SD, there's a Politur station on the corner off the street on the main strip in El Conde, I'm sure if some tourist are being hassled, have a crime to complain, or whatever that's who they'd take it up with, my understanding is that they're basically there to make sure tourist stay in one piece, but that they really don't have much power, outside of the pockets of which they're in. The PN, however is the national Dominican police force, and are regular cops just like anywhere else. Politur are there to make sure tourist are fine, but someone like yourself who lives there, and isn't a tourist, would probably be better off going to the PN (although you're really never better off involving them in ANY matter.) It's not like something where the police force is broken into two different sets, the ones for foreigners, and the ones for Dominicans. It's like the politur have a presence in high gringo areas, but don't have much juice or power in comparison to the PN.

This is my basic understanding of how it is, maybe someone else can chime in.
    Getting the National Police to respond/react to anything is pretty much like playing pool with a wet noodle, unless it's a major crime where they have no choice but to get involved.

I have had a lot of experiences with them due to robberies, break ins, and other minor crimes, and basically, they are very reluctant to get involved. Even if you throw money at them, that will only get requests for more money.

If you have an accident, they will drive by without even stopping, unless it involves serious injury or death.

The problem with the National Police is considered to be one of the biggest issues the country faces, as evidenced in various polls done by the local media.

Once again, I'm only talking about the National Police.

For the most part, getting help from any branch of law enforcement here is pretty much a non event. Anyone visiting here would be well advised to keep your wits about you, and your spidey sense set on high to avoid situations from happening in the first place.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Getting the National Police to respond/react to anything is pretty much like playing pool with a wet noodle, unless it's a major crime where they have no choice but to get involved.

I have had a lot of experiences with them due to robberies, break ins, and other minor crimes, and basically, they are very reluctant to get involved. Even if you throw money at them, that will only get requests for more money.

If you have an accident, they will drive by without even stopping, unless it involves serious injury or death.

The problem with the National Police is considered to be one of the biggest issues the country faces, as evidenced in various polls done by the local media.

For the most part, getting help from any branch of law enforcement here is pretty much a non event. Anyone visiting here would be well advised to keep your wits about you, and your spidey sense set on high to avoid situations from happening in the first place.

I think I read a news article posted on DR1 a couple of years ago that pretty much summed up how one should deal with law enforcement in DR. A foreigner who lived in DR (I can't recall which city.) was the victim of a home robbery while he was out. When he went to the police station to report the crime, he handed them a list of everything that was taken from his home (all pretty expensive things.) The police force looks at this list, and realizes this guy must have money, as not only is he a "gringo" but look at all the nice stuff that was taken from his home. A couple days later the dude is the victim of a home invasion. Can you guys who were the gentlemen so kind enough to pay him a visit? A couple cops from the station house he reported the crime too, they went there looking to see if there were any more nice things to take.

If a story like this doesn't make you want to avoid PN at all cost, I don't know what will.

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hanzo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    I think I read a news article posted on DR1 a couple of years ago that pretty much summed up how one should deal with law enforcement in DR. A foreigner who lived in DR (I can't recall which city.) was the victim of a home robbery while he was out. When he went to the police station to report the crime, he handed them a list of everything that was taken from his home (all pretty expensive things.) The police force looks at this list, and realizes this guy must have money, as not only is he a "gringo" but look at all the nice stuff that was taken from his home. A couple days later the dude is the victim of a home invasion. Can you guys who were the gentlemen so kind enough to pay him a visit? A couple cops from the station house he reported the crime too, they went there looking to see if there were any more nice things to take.

If a story like this doesn't make you want to avoid PN at all cost, I don't know what will.
    All you have to do is follow the la Mulatta case in Sosua. Strikingly different, because this time, the Procurador went after the police who pulled off the raid.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

I think only because the German embassy was putting a lot of pressure on the DR government to get to the bottom of what transpired. Otherwise it would have been swept under the rug.

All you have to do is follow the la Mulatta case in Sosua. Strikingly different, because this time, the Procurador went after the police who pulled off the raid.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I think only because the German embassy was putting a lot of pressure on the DR government to get to the bottom of what transpired. Otherwise it would have been swept under the rug.
    Or, not because robberies were committed but that shares of the proceedings were not passed up the hierarchy in the accepted manner.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Or, not because robberies were committed but that shares of the proceedings were not passed up the hierarchy in the accepted manner.
    Maybe it will keep crazy dickheads from coming to the Island of Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

I have noticed the PN will sit back and watch. I have seen them stand by while fights happen and pull off expecting the politur to handle it. I also have had many Dominicans tell me the PN aren't important. To be exact "He is police, he aint nobody. they not gon do anything"..
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

And don't expect any quick turnaround from the US Embassy...

I speak from personal experience they will bog you down with SOO much paperwork that you will eventually forget the reason why you entered the building.

I even went soo far as to tell them its your JOB to fucking help American citizens to which without batting an eye they replied...

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3 View Post
    And don't expect any quick turnaround from the US Embassy...

I speak from personal experience they will bog you down with SOO much paperwork that you will eventually forget the reason why you entered the building.

I even went soo far as to tell them its your JOB to fucking help American citizens to which without batting an eye they replied...

Click to see pic
    They are limited to being observers. If you are arrested (seriously arrested) they will visit you in jail to make sure you still have your arms and legs, and ask if you want them to contact somebody for you.

In the vast majority of cases, that's it.

22. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They are limited to being observers. If you are arrested (seriously arrested) they will visit you in jail to make sure you still have your arms and legs, and ask if you want them to contact somebody for you.

In the vast majority of cases, that's it.
    Exactly which amounts to a hill of beans...what the fuck I am getting ass raped by Pedro and his machete toting posse and the US Embassy asks me if I want more Anal EZ to help dull the pain of the nightly rapes...

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exactly which amounts to a hill of beans...what the fuck I am getting ass raped by Pedro and his machete toting posse and the US Embassy asks me if I want more Anal EZ to help dull the pain of the nightly rapes...

Click to see pic

I don't know about you, but if I got arrested, and one of those clowns showed up at the jail to check on me and contact whoever I want, I'd be pretty glad to see them.

Any Embassy has to and will respect the laws of the host country. It's like that where ever you go, big guy.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't know about you, but if I got arrested, and one of those clowns showed up at the jail to check on me and contact whoever I want, I'd be pretty glad to see them.

Any Embassy has to and will respect the laws of the host country. It's like that where ever you go, big guy.
    That is 100% correct I am just saying that they are NOT looking out for your best interests.

Yeah they will contact my family for me so that I can pay the billion dollar bribe to get out of the country. Thanks US embassy.

I go there with my paperwork for a routine procedure and they tell me my name should be spelled differently come back tomorrow its lunch time.

I told them I don't live here this is cutting into my time and they replied...

WAIT FOR IT

NO IMPORTA

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

That is 100% correct I am just saying that they are NOT looking out for your best interests.

Yeah they will contact my family for me so that I can pay the billion dollar bribe to get out of the country. Thanks US embassy.

I go there with my paperwork for a routine procedure and they tell me my name should be spelled differently come back tomorrow its lunch time.

WAIT FOR IT

NO IMPORTA
    Thanks for all the warnings ... when I was still gainfully employed, it was MilGroup and the Military Attaché that I dealt with, and they had their act together (and fookin' well HAD to have their act together, or else! I attended a memorial service in Lima, once, to a DEA guy who tried to torch open a tank-truck full of LP gas that was believed to be full of Peruvian Flake ... God rest his charred bones!)
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

WAIT FOR IT

NO IMPORTA
    In day to day dealings, you will find no larger egos or arrogance than the Dominicans that work in the U.S. Embassy. The Americans that work there do not socialize with other Americans outside of the Embassy, other than through official functions, specifically to avoid being pulled into situations.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    How is jurisdiction decided between the Politur and the Policia Nacional? I assume the most serious crimes would be handled by the National Police. But street fights and such I wonder about. I have seen both agencies making arrests in the street ect..

Which one has more "juice"?

Here's the Policia National in action:

34. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow I have seen them shoot people in the streets in Santiago...this guy was showing restraint for this video.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

One night on p.c. two politur were fighting a haiten. Pn in all black came behind haiten choke him unconscious, maybe dead. Put him on a moto. Sat behind him. N kept choking him...
    Last edited by tgunz; 09-18-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information