Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10/2013 - Mamajuana Cafe

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Re: Mamajuana Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    Live music would certainly pull in the locals.
    for whatever reason the DR is not a big Live Music country.......not saying it wouldn't work.......
    and I could never figure out why there was so likkle live music in the DR.......
    but they certainly know how to get those hitech systems going........and loud.......lol

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    for whatever reason the DR is not a big Live Music country.......not saying it wouldn't work.......
    and I could never figure out why there was so likkle live music in the DR.......
    but they certainly know how to get those hitech systems going........and loud.......lol
    There is plenty of live music all around the country. Dominicans love to drink and dance.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

I've no clue where you got this notion from. The DR is huge on live music and bands, going back to the days if the original big merengue groups.

If you hang out in the larger cities, you'll get your fill of live music. Even the casas in Santiago have days where they bring in a live band. And folks come in to dance. I've seen it at Casa Blanca more times than I can count. We're not even gonna talk about the Tipico clubs. I used to go listen to the band, and dance with friendly chicas every Monday night at Montebar in Santiago. But just about every night, you can find a band playing.

I often tell my friends who've never been, that the DR is one of those places where they'll take the tiniest venues, like a gas station, and stick a Tipico band in there. And there will be couples outside dancing.

For some reason, it's not so prevalent in the tourist areas. But even in Sosua, years ago, there used to be a car wash that would have bands occasionally. I remember going there a few times. It's gone now. But im sure that all one has to do is go over to Puerto Plata. You're sure to find a live band somewhere.

Get out of the tourist areas occasionally. You'll see the true culture of the DR.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    Get out of the tourist areas occasionally. You'll see the true culture of the DR.

“I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Not sure if it was a plan, but it seemed the bar instructed the staff to encourage the patrons to drink. The way they did that was to have friendly waitresses (ok I knew 1 from when it was Coach's Corner and 1 from way back, 7 years) who would also be lively with the customers. To liven it up they would all ask for drinks. But buy 1 waitress a drink, then the bartender asks "where's mine"? Then the other asks can she have one too. That becomes party central for the staff. One of the nights I saw a patron was drinking with one of the staff who was not working that day, i.e. she was a patron as well, except he was paying the bill. So she was going behind the bar and pouring rounds of flaming shooters....muchas gracias from the boss I bet.

I have been in there and had 3 drinks but paid double or more because of buying drinks for the staff. That is fun for the first time but not every time you go in. As a result, I try to avoid the bar.
    If you weren't Canadian you could just say "No".
    Enjoy it while you can.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I've no clue where you got this notion from. The DR is huge on live music and bands, going back to the days if the original big merengue groups.

If you hang out in the larger cities, you'll get your fill of live music. ...................
    Mi Concur... LOL

The dates of the Merengue Festival in Late July, in Santo Domingo used to be THE deciding factor for our groups trips for many years.. we didnt wanna miss that. U like University chicas ? ,, its was like a Buffet and all of them friendly and willing to dance, and mothers and Tias with their Daughter & Nieces it was SICK , the amount of Hot pussy walking around on that Malecon, and thats an open to the public event, this was when Raggaeton was also red HOT, and Boca Chica was on fire. Not sure how it is how but Dominicans will dance just about anywhere there is a Dance floor, good sound system, some alcohol, and a little ambiance.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    So when are you opening?

I wouldn't invest a dime into any kind of business in Sosua right now. It'd be like opening a china shop on a fault line.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post

I wouldn't invest a dime into any kind of business in Sosua right now. It'd be like opening a china shop on a fault line.

With a bull as an indoor pet!

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    If you weren't Canadian you could just say "No".
    yeah but then I am limiting my chances of finding a Dominican wife to bring back to the ice and snow

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

hey don't kill da messenger......
    mi a tourist like most guys on here when it comes to the DR and mi Spanish is pretty limited like most guys so mi personally need to stick to the usual tourist traps for the Chicas in the DR like a lot of guys......and mi have been out of the tourist areas......Santo Domingo, San Pedro, etc and mi never saw any signs or heard any live music except once.......and that time the customers weren't really into the music.......and when I go out it is always blaring music coming off some high tech system......

call mi spoiled from mi usual second home in Jamaica where wi have Live Music everyday and night all over da place.......but the DR really doesn't have much in the way of live music.....so guys don't expect to go to the DR and hear a lot of quality Live Music cause it ain't happening......sure it is there........but you need to go hunting for it......personally mi time is better off spent hunting for Chicas in the DR.....lol

respect..........

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

mi a tourist like most guys on here when it comes to the DR and mi Spanish is pretty limited like most guys so mi personally need to stick to the usual tourist traps for the Chicas in the DR like a lot of guys......and mi have been out of the tourist areas......Santo Domingo, San Pedro, etc and mi never saw any signs or heard any live music except once.......and that time the customers weren't really into the music.......and when I go out it is always blaring music coming off some high tech system......

call mi spoiled from mi usual second home in Jamaica where wi have Live Music everyday and night all over da place.......but the DR really doesn't have much in the way of live music.....so guys don't expect to go to the DR and hear a lot of quality Live Music cause it ain't happening......sure it is there........but you need to go hunting for it......personally mi time is better off spent hunting for Chicas in the DR.....lol

respect..........

After trying to read this, as usual, what I would call you is fucking illiterate

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post

Its been my feeling for years now.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

respect..........
    No worries. I just wonder at times if you've been visiting the same DR that I have.

Anyway, the reason you probably won't see a lot of live music in the tourist area is because the business owners in those areas are trying to attract tourists, not locals. And they've learned that if you host a live band ANYWHERE in the DR, locals will come in droves. Because Dominicans LOVE live bands. And most tourists get nervous around large concentrations of young locals. I mean let's face it. It is what it is.

But the fact remains. All one has to do to hear live music in the DR is to ask where the closest tipico bar is. And if there isn't one close by, then there's bound to be some other venue. Dominicans love their live bands too much for there not to be.

Not gonna belabor the point too much more. Just attempting to correct what I saw as wrong info. Live music is painfully easy to find in the DR.

24. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quite possibly one of the wrongest statements ever posted on this board.

If you're looking for it, you'll find live music every single night of the week. It might not be the live music you're looking for or that you'll enjoy, but in every city every night there's a merengue group, a bachata group, a tipico group, and even a salsero or 2 (David Kada and Yiyo Sarante are touring like crazy) that will be having a live gig. I'm going to be there 4 nights next month and if I want to, I could go to a live show by a different band every single night.

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

It's been said by UR and DCI, and I can only confirm it.

The DR is all about dancing on Dominican music...

Back in the day you'd have El Canoa in Sosua for the tipico parties and of course the car wash with regular concerts... or the Orion Bar in POP

Then the best tipico ever, Azucar (which then turned into Homerun, then got closed) out on the freeway by Montellano picked up the music... I've had great times there dancing..

Currently the old standbys are still operating, Rancho Tipico in POP and Monte Bar in Santiago are a good examples.

But to enjoy the true Dominican flava you need:

1. A big Jeepeta
    2. Be a good dancer
    3. Enjoy drinking copious amounts of Cuba or Santo Libre
    4. Speak Spanish
    5. Be a reasonable dresser

If those are all OK; you have tons of hot pussy thrown at you, even when you are out with the missus...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Not sure if it was a plan, but it seemed the bar instructed the staff to encourage the patrons to drink. The way they did that was to have friendly waitresses (ok I knew 1 from when it was Coach's Corner and 1 from way back, 7 years) who would also be lively with the customers. To liven it up they would all ask for drinks. But buy 1 waitress a drink, then the bartender asks "where's mine"? Then the other asks can she have one too. That becomes party central for the staff. One of the nights I saw a patron was drinking with one of the staff who was not working that day, i.e. she was a patron as well, except he was paying the bill. So she was going behind the bar and pouring rounds of flaming shooters....muchas gracias from the boss I bet.

I have been in there and had 3 drinks but paid double or more because of buying drinks for the staff. That is fun for the first time but not every time you go in. As a result, I try to avoid the bar.
    Gee, was that Maria or Vicki? One has been fired, for the rumour of theft. Maybe the other one has gone now, as well. One owner bought the other two owners out. Maybe he made them an offer they could not refuse. Think he is hoping it will get busier in the next few months.

29. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to twodogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike View Post

Back in the day you'd have El Canoa in Sosua for the tipico parties and of course the car wash with regular concerts... or the Orion Bar in POP

Then the best tipico ever, Azucar (which then turned into Homerun, then got closed) out on the freeway by Montellano picked up the music... I've had great times there dancing..

Currently the old standbys are still operating, Rancho Tipico in POP and Monte Bar in Santiago are a good examples.

1. A big Jeepeta
    2. Be a good dancer
    4. Speak Spanish

If those are all OK; you have tons of hot pussy thrown at you, even when you are out with the missus...
    if I remember correctly, we winged at Azucar one night for a live show... I'm thinking it may have been bachata, (Frank Reyes, Elvis Martinez, someone else?), but I could be wrong...

LOL, no live bands/shows in DR?!?!?! Seaweed, no disrespect, but you should probably keep your "knowledge spreading advice" to the "J Island", unless you really do know what your talking about... You are very wrong on this one...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    if I remember correctly, we winged at Azucar one night for a live show... I'm thinking it may have been bachata, (Frank Reyes, Elvis Martinez, someone else?), but I could be wrong...

LOL, no live bands/shows in DR?!?!?! Seaweed, no disrespect, but you should probably keep your "knowledge spreading advice" to the "J Island", unless you really do know what your talking about... You are very wrong on this one...
    Yep that was you, Magnum, me and the missus at a Frank reyes concert.. you did rather well with a Dominican lady there..

Magnum was afraid his hair would be messed up (in reality I think he was going to a favorita)... so he bailed on us..

We had a good time there.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike View Post

1. A big Jeepeta
    2. Be a good dancer
    4. Speak Spanish

The other thing you may need is a good nights sleep the night before or plenty of Redbull. Dominican headliners are notorious for showing up on stage two or three hours later

than the venue says they will be there. Who knows, maybe the performers are right on time and the club just wants to sell to a full house for a few hours while they wait for

the live band. I know one thing though, if you don't show early for Antony Santos or Frank Reyes you won't get a decent seat unless you pay big money.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bailar View Post
    The other thing you may need is a good nights sleep the night before or plenty of Redbull. Dominican headliners are notorious for showing up on stage two or three hours later

than the venue says they will be there. Who knows, maybe the performers are right on time and the club just wants to sell to a full house for a few hours while they wait for

the live band. I know one thing though
    , if you don't show early for Antony Santos or Frank Reyes you won't get a decent seat unless you pay big money.
    This is exactly what's happening. 90% of the time, the artist is there at the time that he's contracted to be there. If they're doing 2 sets, they'll go on at 12am, play the first set until 115, take a half hour break and then play from 145 to 3am. If they're only doing one set, they'll usually go on at 2am and play till 3. Also, most artists require a 50% deposit to show up and the other 50% prior to getting up on stage. If the promoter doesn't have the balance, then everything gets delayed until the artist gets paid somehow.

37. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information