Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10/2013 - Mamajuana Cafe

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

Re: Mamajuana Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by uncle ruckus View Post
    This is exactly what's happening. 90% of the time, the artist is there at the time that he's contracted to be there. If they're doing 2 sets, they'll go on at 12am, play the first set until 115, take a half hour break and then play from 145 to 3am. If they're only doing one set, they'll usually go on at 2am and play till 3. Also, most artists require a 50% deposit to show up and the other 50% prior to getting up on stage. If the promoter doesn't have the balance, then everything gets delayed until the artist gets paid somehow.
    That explains why they need to fill the house and open the bar two or three hours prior to the show. It also speaks about Dominican time and the underlying issues. Thanks Ruckus......

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,355 Times in 2,669 Posts

Re: Mamajuana Cafe

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Gee, was that Maria or Vicki? One has been fired, for the rumour of theft. Maybe the other one has gone now, as well. One owner bought the other two owners out. Maybe he made them an offer they could not refuse. Think he is hoping it will get busier in the next few months.
    Don't think it was Maria, although I think there was more than one Maria working there. This girl normally worked behind the bar as one of the bartenders.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: 10/2013 - Mamajuana Cafe

So I got to experience the revamped place.........for the third time in less years. I have to say that they've done a nice job with the place. The service was pretty good and the music was on point.......as in bachata and merengue for the most part.

Some of the set up is a little strange. I'm not sure about the whole sand thing and bean bag chairs, but I did actually see the swings used on several occasions.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

This would end up being the rendevous point on several nights. It was a great place to start the evenings events, kick back, have a few, and talk with friends before heading out.

Thanks
    Thanked 32,918 Times in 3,296 Posts

I like the setup at the cafe, especially the dance floor off to the side and Latin music. The sand underfoot everywhere sucks IMHO. It is amazing how the strip has changed in a short time. I have absolutely no interest in the scene at D Latin so it is small places like this that get my business.

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bailar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Another change of ownership as of January 15th.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Everyone on PC is struggling.. So what mystifies me is how these NEW places think they are gonna open up with a Little Decorating and sound system, maybe a dance floor, throw some sand on the floor, and Proceed to make a killing..or even break even. City Lights partners have had their asses handed to them so far, and they sunk like what $200K USD into the place ?

I know a lot of good guys from ISOC support this place and it looks NICE and all, although personally I think it looks more like a Wedding Reception than a MANS BAR, but aside from that.. WHAT makes these dudes think they can make a killing on Pedro , when so many ESTABLISHED Bars are struggling, really struggling.
    Can someone explain it ? I wish them well...its just too weird though
    But , Enjoy the place , while its open.

How are the girls who took over The Shark Bar doing ? Is that place looking like it will make it. The odds are not good.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is City Lights, a good spot to watch the Superbowl, and some Olympic events?

I think Russia is 5-6 hours ahead in time, so one would think, there maybe some

pretty good Happy Hour gatherings.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twodogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Is City Lights, a good spot to watch the Superbowl, and some Olympic events?

I think Russia is 5-6 hours ahead in time, so one would think, there maybe some

pretty good Happy Hour gatherings.

Why would you want to go to City Lights to watch Superbowl????? They are opening just for that event. How about you support a bar that has put its balls on the line all year to stay open and has survived low season. That's who deserves the money. There are plenty of Superbowl parties to attend without supporting somebody who wants to only cash in on one day. I will be extremely pissed to see anybody in that bar supporting them for the one day. Plus, will they even open????

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Why would you want to go to City Lights to watch Superbowl????? They are opening just for that event. How about you support a bar that has put its balls on the line all year to stay open and has survived low season. That's who deserves the money. There are plenty of Superbowl parties to attend without supporting somebody who wants to only cash in on one day. I will be extremely pissed to see anybody in that bar supporting them for the one day. Plus, will they even open????
    When I was at the Britannia in August, you were installing a tv above your outdoor patio area so customers could watch whatever game might be going on at the time. How has that worked out for you? Has it been good for business?

I would think it would be a great spot for your customers to stick around to cheer their team, enjoy more drinks and tasty munchies, and be good for the bottom line.

Hope things are going good for you!

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information