Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/2013 - Rancho Tipico

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Re: 10/2013 - Ad opens Rancho Tipico

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    The specials at night are really good from what I experienced and the 99 peso breakfast is still one of the best deals in town imo.

Click to see pic
    Thanks to your pic Irie, I stopped by earlier today for the breakfast. What a disaster.

Exactly like your pic but uncooked eggs, stale bread, cheap manky ham, luke warm coffee and all served cold.

Previous dining experiences at RT had been in general OK but a couple of bad experiences a few months back, like still frozen chicken wings, undercooked French fries, Puerta Plata splatter from the all-u-can-eat BBQ, should have served my memory better.

Ad runs a great bar but he runs a shit kitchen.

Even at 99 pesos it ain't worth it although I fully accept YMMV. La Costera at 175 pesos is a bargain in comparison.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 795 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Thanks to your pic Irie, I stopped by earlier today for the breakfast. What a disaster.

Exactly like your pic but uncooked eggs, stale bread, cheap manky ham, luke warm coffee and all served cold.

Previous dining experiences at RT had been in general OK but a couple of bad experiences a few months back, like still frozen chicken wings, undercooked French fries, Puerta Plata splatter from the all-u-can-eat BBQ, should have served my memory better.

Even at 99 pesos it ain't worth it although I fully accept YMMV. La Costera at 175 pesos is a bargain in comparison.
    Yes agreed, also their eggs Benedict are probably the best in town...
    follow my Negril trip report at http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429348-07-2014-I-am-back-in-the-saddle-again-El-Cristo-Negril-trip-report

Sometimes we fuck up...and life is so much better that way...

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

I had breakfast there the other day and everything was fine. Just a roll of the dice maybe as to whether you get a good breakfast or not, as some chica makes it. La Costera 175 peso breakfast is very good.

For dinner he has hired a real cook. The food is good enough to actually go there just for the food. His daily specials are great deals. Last night I had half a BBQ chicken with potato and vegetable for 150 pesos. I haven't had it yet but everyone says good things about his 300 pesos steak dinner on Fridays. On Sunday he has 300 peso rib dinner and that was very good. I also tried the schnitzel on Monday with Balcoach. Large portion and quite good but I suggested to Ad it would be better with a mushroom sauce. Hopefully he can keep the cook and establish consistency that can be counted on. With dinner, so far so good but it has only been two weeks. Time will tell.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I had breakfast there the other day and everything was fine. Just a roll of the dice maybe as to whether you get a good breakfast or not, as some chica makes it. La Costera 175 peso breakfast is very good.

For dinner he has hired a real cook. The food is good enough to actually go there just for the food. His daily specials are great deals. Last night I had half a BBQ chicken with potato and vegetable for 150 pesos. I haven't had it yet but everyone says good things about his 300 pesos steak dinner on Fridays. On Sunday he has 300 peso rib dinner and that was very good. I also tried the schnitzel on Monday with Balcoach. Large portion and quite good but I suggested to Ad it would be better with a mushroom sauce. Hopefully he can keep the cook and establish consistency that can be counted on. With dinner, so far so good but it has only been two weeks. Time will tell.
    Calm down or people will start accusing you of shilling and getting kickbacks and shit.

I did say YMMV as with all places and I hope his new cook works out, but for me I have now had about 12 meals in the place and around half of them were average to bad IMO, including today, so you were lucky you didn't answer the text I sent you and you missed out on such a poor culinary experience.

That ratio of bad/good meals and depending on a roll of the dice as to what chica makes it (the one today did tell me she was tired as she worked until 3 this morning) is enough to make me take my custom elsewhere, others can do what the hell they want.

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Thank you for your Brutal Honesty....
    I always knew you were a straight shooter...

Some of the posts about this place are like nauseating already.. and he is not even a Sponsor here.
    Its more than Schilling , and thats not trying be disrespectful to other members.
    thats just my opinion.

I would love to write my full take on this place, but im sure it will be met with personal attacks..

But for example the guy he has working the entrance , is a straight up asshole.
    tried to wave me off cuz i had a small bottle of soda in my hand.. That has NEVER ever happend to me at any other Bar in Sosua..ever.

thats just for starters..
    There is also some funky shit going on with the TIPS .
    I used to consider AD a friend.. and he is a hard worker... but this place will not be there in a year or so,
    becaue IMO he is also his own worst enemy..
    in many different ways..

and I would not eat there if i was Starving to death .
    maybe i just value my vacation time more than some Expats who are looking for a super cheap meal..
    ( and I like a cheap meal too, but it has to at least TASTE good)

let the Flaming begin...

Thanks
    Thanked 46,477 Times in 4,501 Posts

Just a question, I could be 100% wrong. Is this the guy from the beach who many members boycotted because he was mistreating his female employees and even beat one up?

I've been to rancho twice. Once for the bbq, I enjoyed it. The second to drink. Ad was a good host.
    You do You, I'm gonna Do Me!!

"Don't tell me what a man says, don't tell me what a man knows, tell me where he's traveled?"

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tgunz For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,537 Times in 10,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgunz View Post
    Just a question, I could be 100% wrong. Is this the guy from the beach who many members boycotted because he was mistreating his female employees and even beat one up?

I've been to rancho twice. Once for the bbq, I enjoyed it. The second to drink. Ad was a good host.

I as well could be wrong ,,,,

But I think it was his novia or esposa that he hit ,,,,,

Ive never been in Rancho for my own reasons,,, that have nothing to do with Ad or good or bad food ,,,,,

But,,,,,,, he was a great host when i was at The Blackbox,,,,,
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JD426 View Post

Some of the posts about this place are like nauseating already.. and he is not even a Sponsor here.
    Its more than Schilling , and thats not trying be disrespectful to other members.
    thats just my opinion.

I would love to write my full take on this place, but im sure it will be met with personal attacks..

tried to wave me off cuz i had a small bottle of soda in my hand.. That has NEVER ever happend to me at any other Bar in Sosua..ever.

I used to consider AD a friend.. and he is a hard worker... but this place will not be there in a year or so,
    in many different ways..

maybe i just value my vacation time more than some Expats who are looking for a super cheap meal..

let the Flaming begin...

from what I witnessed the last couple of weeks, he doesn't need to be.

(just my .02 )
    Vida es buena....

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

thats just my opinion.

in many different ways..

let the Flaming begin...
    I guess you never came into the SPOT for the short time I was running it, because NO ONE brought drinks in. HMMMMMM let's think about this... you come to a bar to buy a drink... i don't want you bringing your own in, defeats my purpose of business....

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thats just my opinion.

in many different ways..

let the Flaming begin...

Sorry JD but, as you know, I am a straight shooter as well... and this rubs me the wrong way. In my books it means nothing if he is or not a sponsor here. If somebody feels that a place is good, I am more than happy to hear this positive review. It's not that he is making his own reviews... If there are good reviews probably the place has some good stuff to offer.. Also there are some that are sponsors here and they are not good so...
    I am the first one to criticize some of his choices ( he did not built the dance floor, some of the drinks are terrible, some bartenders really have no idea what they are doing, the song playlist is pretty much the same every night) but overall is a good place if not the best in town right now... I believe most of the review that board members have shared here are honest and made with the good intention to share an alternative place. I can disagree with some of those, but that's ok...
    Correct me if I am wrong but from your post, to me it looks like you value the fact that somebody is a sponsor too much... Sponsorship here is just advertisement...nothing more, nothing less... It does not mean that the board members have to defend the place or put more value into it..... Just my 2 cents...

Also about the fact that it will not be here in a year.. why are you sure about that? Most of the people here said that it would not last more than few months once it opened...well so far Ad proved these guys wrong big time...

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    I guess you never came into the SPOT for the short time I was running it, because NO ONE brought drinks in. HMMMMMM let's think about this... you come to a bar to buy a drink... i don't want you bringing your own in, defeats my purpose of business....
    NOONE questions me at any bar i go to in Sosua... not for a soda bottle.. not Rumba, not Merengue, not the hotel bars, definitely not Shark Bar when they were open, lol
    and NOT EVEN EL FLOW where they have always treated me like a fucking VIP, not cuz Im pretty and handsome but because they KNOW im NOT afraid to spend $ on top shelf Liquor.
    or is that no longer a Bar's Goal ??

and btw, the SHIT hole known as The SPOT is now closed..
    not under your management.. not saying that.

imo,they jumped the shark when they allowed Tigueres the run of the place.. harassing customers like me who were dropping 250 pesos and then changed the price to 350 pesos for a Johnny walker.. I drop at least 1 Mil to 1500 pesos, every time i sit down. ( and BTW i posted exactly that here, before they closed)
    you do not want me to exit cause i have a half a bottle of soda on the side to sip on..
    or maybe you do, who knows.

btw, not that its any concern of yours, but AD did allow me in WITH my soda, and he told the door guy to back off...
    but he had a sour puss the whole night, just sitting smoking cigarettes with his German buds..
    he did not mingle at all... maybe he is paranoid they are after him, he did say that so that may have been it
    .. but he was sour the whole night, and it certainly was not because of me spending money.

not sure what horse you got in this race.. i got no issues with you..

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElCristo View Post
    Sorry JD but, as you know, I am a straight shooter as well... and this rubs me the wrong way. In my books it means nothing if he is or not a sponsor here. If somebody feels that a place is good, I am more than happy to hear this positive review. It's not that he is making his own reviews... If there are good reviews probably the place has some good stuff to offer.. Also there are some that are sponsors here and they are not good so...
    I am the first one to criticize some of his choices ( he did not built the dance floor, some of the drinks are terrible, some bartenders really have no idea what they are doing, the song playlist is pretty much the same every night) but overall is a good place if not the best in town right now... I believe most of the review that board members have shared here are honest and made with the good intention to share an alternative place. I can disagree with some of those, but that's ok...
    Correct me if I am wrong but from your post, to me it looks like you value the fact that somebody is a sponsor too much... Sponsorship here is just advertisement...nothing more, nothing less... It does not mean that the board members have to defend the place or put more value into it..... Just my 2 cents...

Also about the fact that it will not be here in a year.. why are you sure about that? Most of the people here said that it would not last more than few months once it opened...well so far Ad proved these guys wrong big time...

All VERY valid points and understood..

IMO, He wont be there in a year because he knocks down what he has built with his hands, with his ass.. there is a German expression for that..but it wont translate well.
    He did it with the black box, talk to the Italians next door to what used to be the Black Box , they will tell you an Earful...

anyway. and thanks for suggesting BOLOGNA as a good Restaurant to Re Consider.. as they are under new Owners or the old owners or something..

One of the BEST Pasta dishes I ever had... and the desserts were off the charts good .. they didnt have the Teramisu that night
    that Air condioned section is the bomb... love that place , and not too pricey either.. different topic though..

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

All VERY valid points and understood..

IMO, He wont be there in a year because he knocks down what he has built with his hands, with his ass.. there is a German expression for that..but it wont translate well.
    He did it with the black box, talk to the Italians next door to what used to be the Black Box , they will tell you an Earful...

anyway. and thanks for suggesting BOLOGNA as a good Restaurant to Re Consider.. as they are under new Owners or the old owners or something..

One of the BEST Pasta dishes I ever had... and the desserts were off the charts good .. they didnt have the Teramisu that night
    that Air condioned section is the bomb... love that place , and not too pricey either.. different topic though..
    I will be very happy if you elaborate... I am really not here to defend Ad at all since he is not a friend of mine... we know each other, but that's the end of the story.. and again I am really curious to undertsand what you mean with that. He probably did it with the Black Box but I don't know the details of it so...

I am very happy that some of my posts are useful to somebody.... next time try the Gorgonzola filet ( if you are into meat with cheese on top)..delicious.. and the fried calamari as well... the best in town... Seville became addicted to this dish after I made him try it....

And I want to thank you for suggesting the new Garden for breakfast... I don't really like it as hotel ( mostly for the clients) but as a breakfast place is not so bad..

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElCristo View Post
    I will be very happy if you elaborate... I am really not here to defend Ad at all since he is not a friend of mine... we know each other, but that's the end of the story.. and again I am really curious to undertsand what you mean with that. He probably did it with the Black Box but I don't know the details of it so...

I am very happy that some of my posts are useful to somebody.... next time try the Gorgonzola filet ( if you are into meat with cheese on top)..delicious.. and the fried calamari as well... the best in town... Seville became addicted to this dish after I made him try it....

And I want to thank you for suggesting the new Garden for breakfast... I don't really like it as hotel ( mostly for the clients) but as a breakfast place is not so bad..
    This sounds VERY interesting... Will definitely check it out... Their House wine was not bad either, made the meal..
    That place is a straight up WINNER.. Really enjoyed it and they made an amazing impression, they even offered to have the CHEF come to the table to talk about making any special meal , but i was not ready for that
    but .. I may just try that next time around.. look up a nice Italian Dish , and see how they do it

.... again, not cuz im George Clooney or handsome , thats just how THEY operate... Its a nice touch...

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Did I ever tell you that I'm not a picky eater?

Really though, the eggs are the one thing that need additional cooking...........imagine that for a Dominican at the grill. Last Thursday the bread was awesome though. I even commented to Seville that it must have come from the Belgian place down the road. It was even better when I put it all together for a nice little sandwich. But again, yymv.

Really though, La Costera is on point as well. Their portions just seem a little small for what us colonists are accustomed to.

Really though, the eggs are the one thing that could be cooked some more.............imagine that with a Dominican at the grill. Last Thursday I got some awesome bread with the whole thing though. I commented to Seville that it must have been from the Belgian place up the road. Really good and even better when I made a sandwich out of the whole thing.

La Costera is on the money as well, but the portion seemed a little smaller.

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This sounds VERY interesting... Will definitely check it out... Their House wine was not bad either, made the meal..
    That place is a straight up WINNER.. Really enjoyed it and they made an amazing impression, they even offered to have the CHEF come to the table to talk about making any special meal , but i was not ready for that
    but .. I may just try that next time around.. look up a nice Italian Dish , and see how they do it

.... again, not cuz im George Clooney or handsome , thats just how THEY operate... Its a nice touch...
    Agreed...

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to QueGuapo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post

Click to see pic

Really though, the eggs are the one thing that could be cooked some more.............imagine that with a Dominican at the grill. Last Thursday I got some awesome bread with the whole thing though. I commented to Seville that it must have been from the Belgian place up the road. Really good and even better when I made a sandwich out of the whole thing.

La Costera is on the money as well, but the portion seemed a little smaller.

What I like about the La Costera breakfast is that a nice glass of juice is included along with the coffee,

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,296 Times in 14,582 Posts

I have always enjoyed New Cafe as well for breakfast.
    It is just up the street from La Costera on the opposite side of the road next to the old CMP

Little more expensive like 300 RD average for breakfast.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

Haven't eaten much at RT. Did have the steak and it was really good. Had the BBQ in Feb and it cleaned out my system, fortunately before I got on the plane.

Food is only a small part of the place. Ad only has food to keep people there, so he has said. The place is great for the atmosphere and the low pressure.

The music is mostly the same every night, correct, but I really enjoy the play list and dancing with the chicas too.

I've booked my next trip and planned the lodging to be closer to the place since I know where I'll mostly be.

I have a simple philosophy. If I don't like a place I don't go, but I don't feel the need to try and trash the business unless they do something really bad.

35. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distantvoyeur View Post
    I have a simple philosophy. If I don't like a place I don't go, but I don't feel the need to try and trash the business unless they do something really bad.

“I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread Information