Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puerto Plata ticket prices? This could be interesting...

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: Puerto Plata ticket prices? This could be interesting...

Tourism to the north coast (specifically the Puerto Plata area) has dropped to the extent that United went from 7 flights a week in the off-season to 2-3 last year and 3 this year - and none of the flights I've been on have been full. 3 years ago they were all full.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JB follow suit and drop a few days next year.

So, yeah, it's price gouging because there are such a smaller number of people flying that route that they figure if you're flying it - it's because you have to, so they can charge you more.

Routes to STI & SDQ don't depend as much on tourism so the fares are more consistent, plus there is more competition from other carriers, Spirit, Delta, etc.

Tourism numbers were going down long before flight prices started going up.

Maybe the 'The Dominican Chamber of Deputies' should be asking their Dept of Tourism why they can't get tourists to want to come to POP.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Here is how Canadian charter airlines that have to bring majority of visitors to the island control capacity a) fares are sold only return on 7 or 14 day basis b) they make 2 stops on the island, like POP and then PUJ c) they split the days of the week in a collusion, each day of the week only one airline, charter or regular operates a flight into DR
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Maybe the 'The Dominican Chamber of Deputies' should be asking their Dept of Tourism why they can't get tourists to want to come to POP.
    If you were the tourist they want and had a choice between POP and Punta Cana which would you choose? Only the people who get suckered by their travel agent goes to the North Coast, who knows it may be cheaper also. But if you are a couple not looking to fuck the locals then Punta Cana is the way to go!
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I used to post about the cheap fares you guys who live on the east coast or eastern third of the country at least, could get away with compared to what I have to pay from California. But no more! You guys are getting gouged on your 3-4 hour flights as bad as I am on what amounts to a 12-14 hour deal for me, including layover time.

I did some advance checking a couple of weeks ago for next Labor Day week and saw a round trip on AA from SFO to POP for $709. Nearly booked it right then and there, but need to hold off until the new year to plan anymore trips.

What I really wish would happen is for Southwest to gain a foothold in the Caribbean and throw some serious competition to the other guys. They fly into Ft. Lauderdale and it would seem to be a natural extension for them to add in an international destination only a couple of hours away, as their 757's would make that round trip easily without the need to pay exhorbitant surcharges to refuel.

If they ever added multiple routes to the DR airports, they would own the country inside of a year. And if you live in a city that is serviced by Southwest, you would never board another carrier to fly there again.
    Yes,yes,yes! Waiting for that day to arrive!

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stalino55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,129 Posts

They could drop the tourist card fee when flying into P.O.P. to try and level the playing field a little.......

N O T .
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas View Post
    I hear ya, only problem is I like the beach and have a few friends that i'd like to see, chat with, etc. that live or frequent the Sewer.. I have spent plenty of time in Santiago, but I think every time I was with a couple wingmen and/or met up with Dominican friends that live there... I just get kind of bored in Santiago... The one time I went there solo, I actually met up with you and I think Ajax... This of course doesn't mean I don't love the women out there.. By far it is tops in my experience and opinion...
    I second that. I have also spent time is Santiago. Best selection of women IMO, but I get bored. This has caused me to return to the Sewer. (You never heard anybody accuse Sosua of being boring.)

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    If you were the tourist they want and had a choice between POP and Punta Cana which would you choose? Only the people who get suckered by their travel agent goes to the North Coast, who knows it may be cheaper also. But if you are a couple not looking to fuck the locals then Punta Cana is the way to go!
    That is the key. Puerto Plata has lost the battle with Punta Cana for the DR family/couple tourist. These tourist gravitate to the All Inclusives and the better facilities are in Punta Cana. Discounting a inferior product, does not make it a better value.

If the North Coast wants to increase tourism, I would cater to the tourist who prefers the North Coast.....MONGERS!! Mongers book hotels, eat in restaurants and spend money. Mongers are more likely to venture out into the community and spread pesos to local businesses, unlike the AI types who never leave their compound. The country has no welfare system, so the dollars to poor single mothers is a benefit to their family. And who is really hurt by the Prostitution trade anyway???

If the Director of Tourism recognized the benefits of Sex Trade to the North Coast Economy and took action, they could see double digit growth every year to the North Coast.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 1,597 Posts

Southwest has already broken ground on their Hobby Terminal Expansion.

Southwest’s Plan
    Southwest asked the City of Houston to look into the construction of a five-gate international facility. Initial plans provide for five (5) new gates and a Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility to accommodate Customs and Border Protection (CBP) services.

What type of International Service is Southwest planning?
    Southwest plans to use 737 narrow body type aircraft to serve any proposed international markets from HOU. The range of the narrow body aircraft means Southwest would focus on destinations in Mexico, the Caribbean and cities in Central and South America.

Southwest’s Plan

Southwest asked the City of Houston to look into the construction of a five-gate international facility. Initial plans provide for five (5) new gates and a Federal Inspection Services (FIS) facility to accommodate Customs and Border Protection (CBP) services.
    - See more at: http://www.freehobbyairport.com/site....bE6RuqSY.dpuf

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Happyhorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    I second that. I have also spent time is Santiago. Best selection of women IMO, but I get bored. This has caused me to return to the Sewer. (You never heard anybody accuse Sosua of being boring.)
    try staying longer than a week.

Sosua is boring.

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    try staying longer than a week.

Sosua is boring.
    I think my longest to Sosua was 17 days.. I was definitely ready to go home by the end of the trip... If I went to Santiago for the full 17 days I think I would be ready to slit my rists.. I don't mind being in STI for a long weekend but anything longer then that, especially during the week, im bored as shit... At least there is always something going on in Sosua... Yes, may be same ol shit, but it's something... Maybe I don't know all of the "hot spots" during the week in STI, but seems like there isn't much going on at night during the week...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information