Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12/2013 - Some good values in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

12/2013 - Some good values in Sosua

Britannia restaurant has a daily "After 4 PM" special. Today when I stopped in the special was wicked wings for 99 pesos. Of course my fat ass got two orders of them. I was eating to fast to count them but there were a lot of them for 198 pesos. They were seasoned a little spicy and without sauce. They were good sized wings and probably the best I have had here. I had trouble finishing all of them.

Schlumerstube (or whatever the fuck it is called, next to Bar Central) has a 1/2 roast chicken with fries for 200 pesos. Tough to beat that for a quick, inexpensive meal.

I realize that most of the vacation guys don't really give a shit what they are spending on food, and rightly so, but some long-term visitors might be interested.
    Enjoy it while you can.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Re: Some good values in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    Britannia restaurant has a daily "After 4 PM" special. Today when I stopped in the special was wicked wings for 99 pesos. Of course my fat ass got two orders of them. I was eating to fast to count them but there were a lot of them for 198 pesos. They were seasoned a little spicy and without sauce. They were good sized wings and probably the best I have had here. I had trouble finishing all of them.

Schlumerstube (or whatever the fuck it is called, next to Bar Central) has a 1/2 roast chicken with fries for 200 pesos. Tough to beat that for a quick, inexpensive meal.

I realize that most of the vacation guys don't really give a shit what they are spending on food, and rightly so, but some long-term visitors might be interested.
    Not true at all, I love a good deal... May not say "NO" if I really want something, especially being that i'm on vacation and never have a fixed budget.. (Just a, I hope I stay within this range type thing, doesn't happen oh well), type of budget... lol

If something is good in value and taste, chicas included, I am all in!

Is the Schlemastube style hamburger still 60 pesos? (the one that sits in the display on the front bar counter)... It's always a good snack and very tasty... I usually will get it if I pass by and it's early in the afternoon... Once it hits 2pm or later, give or take, I will pass by it without a thought... Don't trust cooked meat just sitting on the counter for a while in the heat...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I cant eat much at those places on the strip. I eat 2 meals a day. Lunch at Baileys and dinner at Bologna.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jimrock187 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Oh good lord...

hey I got a way for you to NEVER forget how to spell it
    Everyone is familiar with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER ??? Yes ?

well , same word, with a STUBE at the end... which means like a Place or Room which serves Alcohol,, specifially Beer
    Like a BEER STUBE ... spelled BIERSTUBE..

Their Schnitzel sandwich is really good too ...

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,164 Times in 5,857 Posts

Schlemmer Stube means 'gourmet farmhouse kitchen'

‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Schlemmer Stube means 'gourmet farmhouse kitchen'

there's a word in german for 'gourmet'?

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    there's a word in german for 'gourmet'?

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Oh good lord...

hey I got a way for you to NEVER forget how to spell it
    Everyone is familiar with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER ??? Yes ?

well , same word, with a STUBE at the end... which means like a Place or Room which serves Alcohol,, specifially Beer
    Like a BEER STUBE ... spelled BIERSTUBE..

I really don't give a shit how it is spelled or pronounced. As long as they have some decent prices on some decent food I'll stop in there.

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

I really don't give a shit how it is spelled or pronounced. As long as they have some decent prices on some decent food I'll stop in there.
    True... They also have some very good chicken noodle soup for about 150 pesos for a big bowl... Just not too often its cool enough in Sosua for me to eat soup outdoors, but sometimes a couple rainy breezy nights, it works out well...

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

The one quality about Sosua that has always impressed me unlike any other, is the incredible choice of food that is available there and the overall very reasonable cost for a meal. Considering the small geographic area and population, I have always found it amazing at the variety of great food that is in Sosua

We all have had our say about the chicas (good, bad, or indifferent) price of P4P, rising cost of drinks, the political situation, the corrupt cops and lawyers, the scammers, the idiot motos, the expensive taxi rides to and from the airport, the unsettled beach redevelopment, etc.

I think we all agree about all the problems that plague Sosua. But, you gotta admit, the choice and quality of the food ain't one of them! In 13 visits over 7 years, I have yet to have a bad meal. German, italian, bbq, fish, late night sandwiches from the gut trucks, desserts and the various breakfasts available all over, when all else might be lacking, you are sure to enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal no matter which direction you go.

Some of those chicas aren't the only ones with serious skills. There are some pretty good cooks in that town too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    The one quality about Sosua that has always impressed me unlike any other, is the incredible choice of food that is available there and the overall very reasonable cost for a meal. Considering the small geographic area and population, I have always found it amazing at the variety of great food that is in Sosua

We all have had our say about the chicas (good, bad, or indifferent) price of P4P, rising cost of drinks, the political situation, the corrupt cops and lawyers, the scammers, the idiot motos, the expensive taxi rides to and from the airport, the unsettled beach redevelopment, etc.

I think we all agree about all the problems that plague Sosua. But, you gotta admit, the choice and quality of the food ain't one of them! In 13 visits over 7 years, I have yet to have a bad meal. German, italian, bbq, fish, late night sandwiches from the gut trucks, desserts and the various breakfasts available all over, when all else might be lacking, you are sure to enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal no matter which direction you go.

Some of those chicas aren't the only ones with serious skills. There are some pretty good cooks in that town too!

I believe a great place for a late night meal or snack is Tony Yaroa food truck located on the main road (careterra). It is located on the same side of the street as the texaco, but across the street that leads to Rockys and all the bars. It is about 200 meters from the texaco in the direction of cabarete. It stays open until 2 am and when I was there last night at about 11, it was packed with dominicans eating like it was their last meal. The police were there eating as well and all looked like they were loving it. I love their hot dogs and burritos. I had a 60 pesos hot dog that was very filling because they put so much on it to include freshly ground cheese, he actually grinds a piece of cheese in front of you that goes straight on the dog and alot of cooked cabbage (atleast it looked like cooked cabbage) and other stuff that made it takes real good. The bun was steamy soft and fresh as well and for 60 pesos I was full and Im a big guy. The portions there are great and the taste as well so I hope you can enjoy it as I do.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by praguealchemist View Post
    I believe a great place for a late night meal or snack is Tony Yaroa food truck located on the main road (careterra). It is located on the same side of the street as the texaco, but across the street that leads to Rockys and all the bars. It is about 200 meters from the texaco in the direction of cabarete. It stays open until 2 am and when I was there last night at about 11, it was packed with dominicans eating like it was their last meal. The police were there eating as well and all looked like they were loving it. I love their hot dogs and burritos. I had a 60 pesos hot dog that was very filling because they put so much on it to include freshly ground cheese, he actually grinds a piece of cheese in front of you that goes straight on the dog and alot of cooked cabbage (atleast it looked like cooked cabbage) and other stuff that made it takes real good. The bun was steamy soft and fresh as well and for 60 pesos I was full and Im a big guy. The portions there are great and the taste as well so I hope you can enjoy it as I do.
    I have eaten so many of the ham & shreeded chicken toasted sandwiches there it is ridiculous...... and it is open later than 2 AM most nights.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nakom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    I have eaten so many of the ham & shreeded chicken toasted sandwiches there it is ridiculous...... and it is open later than 2 AM most nights.
    Nakom, you might be referring to "taco bell" as it is affectionately known as by many, which is on the corner there and is open literally all night. Best 50 peso sandwich, burrito, or what ever you like at 3-4 AM.

Tony Yaroa is a bit further down the road and is an actual food truck....

None the less, they both fill their role for late night 3rd meal!

Thanks

Rancho Tipico Breakfast

Finally made it to Rancho Tipico for breakfast this morning around 11:30 AM.

Two eggs, two slices of bacon, two slices of ham, two pieces of toast, one fresh roll, fruit and coffee (it also includes a slice of cheese, which I declined). Free refill on the coffee.....100 pesos. For the money easily the best breakfast deal in Sosua but he can't possibly be making a profit on it. There is good wi-fi there as well; since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,936 Times in 688 Posts

Re: Rancho Tipico Breakfast

since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.
    If you wanna say Pac-man just come right out and say it.
    Pac-man aka Panocha Villa

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pac-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pac-Man View Post
    If you wanna say Pac-man just come right out and say it.
    Your not alone...sometimes we see guys here with hot chicas walking by with little clothing on and guys have their face in the internet...all afternoon...sometimes the chicas and friends are sitting right next to them... LOL The younger generation of guys under 35 get very upset if they don't have internet constantly... This is a separate topic of conversation/thread though...

28. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Finally made it to Rancho Tipico for breakfast this morning around 11:30 AM.

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Two eggs, two slices of bacon, two slices of ham, two pieces of toast, one fresh roll, fruit and coffee (it also includes a slice of cheese, which I declined). Free refill on the coffee.....100 pesos. For the money easily the best breakfast deal in Sosua but he can't possibly be making a profit on it. There is good wi-fi there as well; since I know the tourists can't be without Wi-fi for more than 10 minutes at a time.
    Just those packets of butter and jam cost a small fortune and coffee isn't cheap anymore either. Good value for the customers, but he's losing money big time.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Just those packets of butter and jam cost a small fortune and coffee isn't cheap anymore either. Good value for the customers, but he's losing money big time.
    If that isn't a loss leader, I don't know what is.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    If that isn't a loss leader, I don't know what is.
    Without butter or Jam, I sure ain't having breakfast in that place.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    $3 for breakfast which may cost under a dollar in materials.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information