Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/2013 - STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Thanks, that is exactly what happened. Not just poor maintenance, I firmly believe it was done on purpose.

I got the itemized bill. Corporate has it too. Corporate says they cannot control the billing practices of the franchises in foreign countries.

So if a dealer in the U.S. says they would cover it, then what?
    then get it in writing and send the letter to avis 0n a lawyers letterhead
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

What Kind of Car did you rent, what exactly did you wreck ? The engine , the transmission ? Did they claim there was NO oil in the engine and thats why it seized ?
    How many miles did you drive it until this happened.
    Sounds like the car was not maintained to me but it could have been a catastrophic Failire, or a Timimg BELT BLEW & the valves Kissed the Pistons ? that is my guess..

without knowing more its hard to say.. A Timing belt, as an Example is CLEARLY NOT your fault. No WAY. you are not a mechanic , nor required to know when one is about to go. But if the OIL was VERY LOW, and then the engine seized, cause you kept driving it, They might try to hold you responsible .. not sure if thats what happened..

Curious to know exactly what it was that " destroyed or wrecked" the engine.

edit

Wait,
    "the machanic went UNDER that Car, and took something from under thar car" ??
    Like what ?
    Did you HIT something on the Road at night, Or BOTTOM OUT, HARD ?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    nope
    there wasn't a collision there fore no payment would be paid

you need a mechanical coverage policy like lubrico/coast to coast/ gmpp etc to cover breakdowns
    If you rent a car in Miami and get no fault collision insurance and buy it from Avis. You get on highway and engine seizes...you are not liable for that. Avis is going to replace that car. Now if you refused there no fault collision insurance then your fucked and have to get your credit card company to pay and that is nightmare.

Its DR maybe there laws are different. I still stay Avis must have some documents that back the claim that Corrado owes that money. I would hire a lawyer if it really looks like you have to pay the 6k.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    If you rent a car in Miami and get no fault collision insurance and buy it from Avis. You get on highway and engine seizes...you are not liable for that. Avis is going to replace that car. Now if you refused there no fault collision insurance then your fucked and have to get your credit card company to pay and that is nightmare.

Its DR maybe there laws are different. I still stay Avis must have some documents that back the claim that Corrado owes that money. I would hire a lawyer if it really looks like you have to pay the 6k.
    I think you are wrong

the engine is covered by the manufactures warranty and never by any form of no fault collision insurance

they will just send it back to the nearest dealer and have them fix it for free
    ( I took three years off from my own business and managed a large gm/Pontiac/buick/gmc dealership which also had an enterprise rental outlet I was in charge of in off hours

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you are wrong

the engine is covered by the manufactures warranty and never by any form of no fault collision insurance

they will just send it back to the nearest dealer and have them fix it for free
    ( I took three years off from my own business and managed a large gm/Pontiac/buick/gmc dealership which also had an enterprise rental outlet I was in charge of in off hours
    I guess what I mean is the customer who rented the car doesn't have to pay for that engine.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I guess what I mean is the customer who rented the car doesn't have to pay for that engine.
    exactly and insurance or no insurance doesn't matter or even come into the equation as its covered by the manufacturer...........................but........if you run over a piece of metal and rip open the oil pan and continue to drive until the motor seizes then that's a totally different scenario and then that is not covered by the factory warranty and you will need no fault collision coverage as that is classed as a collision ..

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

exactly and insurance or no insurance doesn't matter or even come into the equation as its covered by the manufacturer...........................but........if you run over a piece of metal and rip open the oil pan and continue to drive until the motor seizes then that's a totally different scenario and then that is not covered by the factory warranty and you will need no fault collision coverage as that is classed as a collision ..
    Whatever it was, it was catastrophic, IMO // Cuz the odds of an engine seizing while you are renting that car, no matter how shitty , is pretty rare, unless like you said you ripped the oil pan open, or maybe bottomed out and Hit so hard it dented the oil pan ? but that would take a lot of miles for the bearings to seize. I've had Crankshafts literally wear THROUGH the oil pan, the dent was so severe but it never shut down . But a A NO OIL scenario would shut an engine down real fast, for sure .

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

When you rent you have to put in writing in papers that you declined a coverage with your cc

Let's work it the other way, let's say yes you did wrecked the car, hit the stones etc.

Which type of vehicle did you rent? How much exactly insurance per day did you pay? Please itemize.

My point is simple, if you paid for every peril imaginable with zero deductible, did not explicitly and in writing relied upon your CC coverage, have all your papers etc. then they can suck dick, they won't be able to collect.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Not thick, you just don't get what is happening.

It is a hustle. No one believes that the car was wrecked. They want cash money from me. They do not want to file a false insurance claim with whoever covers them. There was no wreck, they know this. They set me out with a bad car they knew would put me down, so they could fabricate charges...... hoping I would just pay.

No wreck = no police report= no insurance pay out.

I really do not care about the cock suckers at the franchise. My real problem is that the corporate office in the U.S. supports this bullshit and backs the franchise even though there is not a shred of evidence from them.
    The highlighted section is what most are missing in this thread. A couple years ago, most airport rental car companies changed their policy. If a car is damaged, they require a police report for the purchased insurance to pay. It makes no difference if you purchase collision insurance, damage waiver, tires and glass. For any damage, they are now insisting on a police report. They know the police will not write a report, unless there was an actual accident. So this is nothing but a scam.

This happened to me with Avis in Santo Domingo. They claimed there was a scratch on the back bumper that originally was not there. I was not in an accident, but I was not worried, because I purchased the damage waiver. They then insisted on a police report. They initially charged my credit card about $500 . What partly saved me was that I was back in town in a little over a week. I was able to dispute the charge locally. After many calls and a favor from a local business man, the charge was dropped. If I was in the US disputing this, I would have been stuck with the $500 charge, even if my credit card company dropped the charge.

Since then, I polled the other rental car companies out of the airport. ALL REQUIRE A POLICE REPORT NOW!!! So the insurance from the airport rental car company is useless. (Unless you want to bribe the policia to write a report.) Your credit card insurance is not going to pay either, if there was not an actual accident.

I now rent from dominicans I know, who do not take credit cards or hold passports. I have two that I deal with and have not had any problems. The cars are not as new, but the rentals are cheaper.

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    I now rent from dominicans I know, who do not take credit cards or hold passports. I have two that I deal with and have not had any problems. The cars are not as new, but the rentals are cheaper.
    Which speaks to the rental process. What happens in the event of vehicular damage? I'm assuming they're not going to turn the other cheek.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Which speaks to the rental process. What happens in the event of vehicular damage? I'm assuming they're not going to turn the other cheek.
    If I damage a car, I will pay to get it fixed. If there is an accident, the last think I am going to do is stick around and get thrown in jail. (A gringo in a multiple car accident gets thrown in jail, until he pays everybody off. It does not matter who is at fault. If you do not know this, you don't need to be driving in the DR.) So in that case, I will pay to fix the car.

The only other option is NOT to drive in the DR.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    (A gringo in a multiple car accident gets thrown in jail, until he pays everybody off. It does not matter who is at fault. If you do not know this, you don't need to be driving in the DR.)
    I'm very familiar with driving in the DR. I've been driving there since 2005 (I have my DR license) and shipped my own Jeep there in 2006. Since the jist of the thread discussion related to consequences of an accident or other vehicle damage I was curious how that would be handled by the people you deal with, as you only mentioned how great the rental process is.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I'm very familiar with driving in the DR. I've been driving there since 2005 (I have my DR license) and shipped my own Jeep there in 2006. Since the jist of the thread discussion related to consequences of an accident or other vehicle damage I was curious how that would be handled by the people you deal with, as you only mentioned how great the rental process is.
    Good point. The guys I rent from know me and know I would not leave them holding the bill for a damaged car.

I have no good advice for a once a year tourist renting a car in the DR, other than consider hiring a driver. In retrospect, I started renting a car way too early in my travels to the DR. BUT renting allowed me to see much more of the island. Maybe a good driver could have done the same.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dquick For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Dquick. Making more sense to me now. I guess Corrodo should of got police report no matter what even if no accident and payed the cop off if he had to.

I cant believe the tourist board would let something like this go on. That is outrageous and illegal what is going on. I guess you cant apply logic in the DR.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Dquick. Making more sense to me now. I guess Corrodo should of got police report no matter what even if no accident and payed the cop off if he had to.

I cant believe the tourist board would let something like this go on. That is outrageous and illegal what is going on. I guess you cant apply logic in the DR.
    YEagh, this is very VERY ineresting.. I learned something here..
    I Dont rent from the Airport anymore just like Dquick I rent from a smaller outfit in Sosua (who was recommended by a Board Member here) ., and who has always treated me fairly, and would not jack me up if there was a scratch on the car etc. So I do feel SAFE with him.. he does not keep my passport only a copy , and I pay cash . No credit card even involved.. But I was doing this purely cause its just CHEAPER, not even realizing how LUCKY I have been all along.

Because, the few times I HAD to rent at the Airport for Logistical reasons, and I PAID THE FULL INSURANCE.. I had always assumed I was 100% COVERED.. But I always wondered why they went over the car with a fine tooth comb when I returned it.. Now I think I KNOW.. Even though I thought I had insurance,, IF there was ANY damage to the Car, and no Police Report.. they would have Jacked me the fuck up to pay it anyway, on the spot. So WTF is the point of paying their OUTRAGEOUS insurance if you can still be prevented from getting on your plane and forced to pay for some shit you may not even have known about.. Like some pre existing Damage or Lack of Maintenace on their part ???
    Oh fuck them.. thats some bullshit.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Never return your car on the last day of the trip, weekend etc, it's just logical.

Rubicon, we want to hear more about your experience.

I talked to Mike - he rents vehicles from behind Rumba - he has got insured ( as a fleet) and uninsured vehicles, prices vary of course. As I recall deductible on uninsured one is $3,000 (?).

Once when I was younger I crashed my company's Land Rover, and the insured deductible was $3,000 so I don't want charges like these to show up again, but for some folks it's a fridge change.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree with the op. NEVER rent from Avis in the DR. Im a Avis Chairmans Club member, the absolute highest reward level that they have. I once rented a car from the pop airport and the girl at the counter told me that she had to put a $1000 hold on my card. I thought that was crazy because I was paying with a AMEX and it wasn't a debit card, but fuck it, I agreed. I kept the car for 10 days everything went ok and I returned the car with no problems. I came back to the us and returned to pop 1 week later. Same girl, same vehicle. This time she said that she needed to put a $5000 hold on my card. A number that she just pulled out of her ass. I was like WTF? She said that she had to put that hold on in case I did not return the car. Once again, WTF? Right then and there I called the Chairmans club dept at AVIS and I swear on everything that my rep at Avis told me that it is not a good idea to rent from Avis in the DR because they are independent operators that have no real regulations. Avis in the DR is nothing more than a tourist trap. If something goes wrong Avis in the US will not help u. This came directly from my rep at avis

34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to blg100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Rubicon, we want to hear more about your experience.
    Such as?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

then get it in writing and send the letter to avis 0n a lawyers letterhead
    Unless that letterhead says my lawyer is the Attorney General, I have doubts that my U.S. lawyer is going to move a foreign company to recant on a scam. I will however see about it.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    What Kind of Car did you rent, what exactly did you wreck ? The engine , the transmission ? Did they claim there was NO oil in the engine and thats why it seized ?
    How many miles did you drive it until this happened.
    Sounds like the car was not maintained to me but it could have been a catastrophic Failire, or a Timimg BELT BLEW & the valves Kissed the Pistons ? that is my guess..

without knowing more its hard to say.. A Timing belt, as an Example is CLEARLY NOT your fault. No WAY. you are not a mechanic , nor required to know when one is about to go. But if the OIL was VERY LOW, and then the engine seized, cause you kept driving it, They might try to hold you responsible .. not sure if thats what happened..

Curious to know exactly what it was that " destroyed or wrecked" the engine.

edit

Wait,
    "the machanic went UNDER that Car, and took something from under thar car" ??
    Like what ?
    Did you HIT something on the Road at night, Or BOTTOM OUT, HARD ?

I want to be perfectly clear. I never hit anything, at any point in time, ever.

They did not claim anything......just an itemized bill. I assume a mechanic would be able to surmise the problem based on looking at the parts, but I could not. I drove from Santiago to Esperanza, then to POP. The oil light came on 3-5 seconds before the car failed. There was not even time to pull over between the light and the failure.

I'm not a mechanic and my ability in automotive science only extends to changing the oil. I would not know what it was he pulled from under the car even you showed it to me again.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information