Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 12/2013 - STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Re: STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Such as?
    Getting a DR licence (does it make a difference, the process), importing a vehicle, insuring it, and the most important lessons learned while operating a vehicle in DR. Does anyone have to be a resident? How about non residents who stay significant part of the year on the island and/or rent long term and may contemplate buying or importing a vehicle and parking it while away?
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

Re: 12/2013 - STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Look, maybe I am wrong, but you should not fear any credit card fraud and filing a false report.
    You have to get a police report. This report will state whatever police will put on the report. Then the agency has to file a claim if they wish, i.e. you relinquish your right to claim against the insurance and surrender this right to a third party - the rental agency. All these steps have to be clearly written in the insurance paperwork you have received at the time of renting the vehicle. If they don't want to file a claim, it's their fucking problem. Again, your cc is needed only to pay for charges if you do not return the rental on time, want to extend your rental etc. All claims are between the agency and the insurance company. You are not a party to an insurance contract. You receive only a certificate and pay upon the bill. The insurance contract is between Avis and the relevant insurance company.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Look, maybe I am wrong, but 1. you should not fear any credit card fraud and filing a false report.
    2. You have to get a police report. This report will state whatever police will put on the report. Then the agency has to file a claim if they wish, i.e. you relinquish your right to claim against the insurance and surrender this right to a third party - the rental agency. All these steps have to be clearly written in the insurance paperwork you have received at the time of renting the vehicle. If they don't want to file a claim, it's their fucking problem. Again, your cc is needed only to pay for charges if you do not return the rental on time, want to extend your rental etc. 3. All claims are between the agency and the insurance company. You are not a party to an insurance contract. You receive only a certificate and pay upon the bill. The insurance contract is between Avis and the relevant insurance company.
    I know it can be hard to see exactly what is going on, but to summarize

1. If someone has your credit card information and has all the information on your drivers license, and has the ability to make charge as an anonymous vender...........then yes you should be concerned about credit card fraud.

2. You do realize that if I push the police they can write a report after the fact stating I wrecked the car. They are no better than corporate and can use the franchises bill as evidence against me.

3. The franchise knows that they do not maintain their vehicles, they know that the vehicle was not wrecked......they do not want insurance to FIX the car, they want my MONEY in hand. All the talk about how insurance is handled is great in the states, or Canada, but not in the DR.......because they are scamming (me , not their insurance). The intent is to take money from whoever gets caught holding the bag. You cannot, cannot, cannot try to apply normal reasoning and process to someone who wants to ROB you. In addition Avis corporate is not concerned with insurance.....just collection. You bill it..........they collect it.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    3. The franchise knows that they do not maintain their vehicles, they know that the vehicle was not wrecked.......
    And this is where I think you need to make your argument. I would insist on a report from AVIS stateside and argue the very point you made above. I would also try and obtain some documentation outlining requirements for maintenance by the rental agency (if any exist) and continue to push this as an issue of lack of maintenance by the rental agency rather than something you may or may not have done relating to maintenance.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Re: STAY AWAY FROM AVIS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    Getting a DR licence (does it make a difference, the process), importing a vehicle, insuring it, and the most important lessons learned while operating a vehicle in DR. Does anyone have to be a resident? How about non residents who stay significant part of the year on the island and/or rent long term and may contemplate buying or importing a vehicle and parking it while away?
    As you can see, it's early and my response would require more time than I have right now. I'll try to get to this tonight but if I don't just post a reminder and I'll get to it.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information