Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/2013 - New Cambio Scam

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

12/2013 - New Cambio Scam

This happened twice last night so I decided to rush and post this as they are definitely tryna get over on unsuspecting tourists.

I was with a friend early in the day and he went to get change across from Rumba (The cage that stays open late) He changed $80, checked his receipt and all was well.. (Rate of $41.50 - $3125rd)

Later in Rumba another friend went and changed $60 at the same location. Later on at night rate drops. Checked his receipt and all was well (Rate of $41 - 2100)

Now my friend being a math teacher walked across the street and as the numbers spun in his head he realized something wasn't right. Yes he had the money that the receipt showed but 60x41 = 2460
    He went back and flipped out and the dude gave the money up with no issue. I later asked the friend from earlier for his receipt and we checked.. 80x41.5.=3320

These guys have fudged the calculators and receipts to benefit them. As consumers once we get our receipt we check with the printed receipt well they have fixed their machines to play on our trust in machines. Bring your telephone or calculator and check it yourself. Not sure how many are doing this but the cage across from Rumba has been caught twice in one day.

3320-3125 = 195 that he walks away with from you not including another 100 or so pesos he gets from the changing of funds.

Just be aware my friends, I was very shocked when I saw these receipts had been tampered and give fake totals.
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

Re: New Cambio Scam

Doesn't surprise me one bit, but I got to admit, that's pretty brilliant of their part, and you all say Dominicans are not smart.
    We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post
    This happened twice last night so I decided to rush and post this as they are definitely tryna get over on unsuspecting tourists.

I was with a friend early in the day and he went to get change across from Rumba (The cage that stays open late) He changed $80, checked his receipt and all was well.. (Rate of $41.50 - $3125rd)

Later in Rumba another friend went and changed $60 at the same location. Later on at night rate drops. Checked his receipt and all was well (Rate of $41 - 2100)

Now my friend being a math teacher walked across the street and as the numbers spun in his head he realized something wasn't right. Yes he had the money that the receipt showed but 60x41 = 2460
    He went back and flipped out and the dude gave the money up with no issue. I later asked the friend from earlier for his receipt and we checked.. 80x41.5.=3320

These guys have fudged the calculators and receipts to benefit them. As consumers once we get our receipt we check with the printed receipt well they have fixed their machines to play on our trust in machines. Bring your telephone or calculator and check it yourself. Not sure how many are doing this but the cage across from Rumba has been caught twice in one day.

3320-3125 = 195 that he walks away with from you not including another 100 or so pesos he gets from the changing of funds.

Just be aware my friends, I was very shocked when I saw these recveipts had been tampered and give fake totals.
    They are usually a last resort before hitting the strip late night. Good looking out.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Why do people continue to use this guy? There have been numerous reports over the years of the night guy scamming people. This is just a variation on a theme, a creative one though I must admit

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I personally first Reported on this guy like a full 3 years ago...
    So its been going on at LEAST that long.. He would try for 500 peoss, every single time count it out, but when you recount it, it was SHORT 500
    .. That same exact move was documented by like 5 guys here as well.
    But he usually does it if he thinks you been drinking.
    And we said at that time DONT change ODD dollar amount , keep it like $100 even, so you can do the math in your head..
    or do your OWN calculations.. dont trust him... better yet dont use him at all.
    If he rigged his adding machine, he is upping his game... but noone has been able to stop him. maybe someone talk to the good mayor. but i doubt she cares..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

I never use him if I can help it. I have my guys I use. Yet I know many people wait last minute and get screwed. I have used him less than 5 times in 4 years here. These guys are something else

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to El-Rey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Once again I fail to understand why anyone changes money at any place other than the Western Union office. You will need a photocopy of your passport (which you should carry anyway) and plan enough in advance to make sure you get your change when they are open.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I personally first Reported on this guy like a full 3 years ago...
    So its been going on at LEAST that long.. He would try for 500 peoss, every single time count it out, but when you recount it, it was SHORT 500
    .. That same exact move was documented by like 5 guys here as well.
    But he usually does it if he thinks you been drinking.
    And we said at that time DONT change ODD dollar amount , keep it like $100 even, so you can do the math in your head..
    or do your OWN calculations.. dont trust him... better yet dont use him at all.
    If he rigged his adding machine, he is upping his game... but noone has been able to stop him. maybe someone talk to the good mayor. but i doubt she cares..
    Judge, you took these words right out of my mouth. Simplify, simplify! $100 is easy. $50 is "half as easy." $60? Confusion.

If you don't need the extra pesos this trip, you'll need 'em next ​trip.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    Once again I fail to understand why anyone changes money at any place other than the Western Union office. You will need a photocopy of your passport (which you should carry anyway) and plan enough in advance to make sure you get your change when they are open.
    I agree, WU almost always pay the rate closest to market.
    You just have to plan it out as they can be busy sometimes.

The guy on Duarte is good to but his rate drops on the weekends sometimes. He has moved up the street on the the other side.

I fail to understand why anyone would ever use that crook across from Rumba. Better off walking up DR Rosen and use the guys on the corner of Alejo Martinez. I can usually get about .50RD less than market from them most of the time plus they will give you whatever denominations you want.

I know guys like the guy next to Sosua Suites but more than once he has been at least .5 to 1 RD less than anyone else around.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Something else I don't understand.

A bar owner sells to a minor and they are put in jail and there establishment is shut down permanently yet you don't even need a liquor license there.

But that slimeball at the cambio across from Rumba can constantly steal from his customers and nothing ever happens to him. You know he is really sticking it to those that are unaware.

15. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

I always just do the math in my head because I'm weird like that, but... your phone, it has a calculator function. Use it!

Never use that dude across from Rumba regardless, I went there 3 times, he tried to shortchange me 3 times, fuck that place.

BTW, for those that don't know, Brian @ Cafe Cubano can also magically transform your dollars into pesos.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,005 Posts

that dude is always drunk and is always short changing folks...i never go to him unless i forgot to get change earlier in the day..
    "Square players get played, pimps get paid, macks persuade"

"Trust me…never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it!"

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chief Papi Lindo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

He knows he has a great spot....I had to use him because I got to Sousa

Late at night.... The rate is 42.6 but being the only game in town he only gave me 41.0 & I took it...So he makes 160 DOP on a 100....still a better rate than the bars...I find there is 2 cambios that give 42.6 rate without asking them...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well look on the bright side.
    You could have exchanged at that airport in POP and got a rate of about 35

Now that's a crime in and of itself

23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,936 Times in 688 Posts

I used this cambio a few times this trip without incident. Change $100 for 4100RD. Can't argue due to location and late night operation.
    Pac-man aka Panocha Villa

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pac-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Seriously, this guy really needs an unfortunate accident to happen to him... Something like a bat to accidentally smash him in the head numerous times... I guess numerous times may not be an accident... He doesn't discriminate, drunk or not, he will try to fuck you... The one time I changed with him, just cause it was late and I needed pesos, I changed something like 50 bucks US and it came to an even number like 2000 pesos, I told him give me two 1000 peso bills... he tried to act stupid and I corrected him very quickly.. He knew that I knew what he was.. A Fuckin Ladron!

Some may say they never had a problem with him, but I don't know anyone that hasn't had a problem with him... He must steal more money then the average whore makes by suckin dick...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

I used him on my November trip when the rate was 42-1 I gave him a "C" note and he gives me 4100DOP I am lyke errrrah somethings wrong here, he gives me the other 100 pesos and says nothing...needless to say that is the LAST time I will use him

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to camaro1257 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Always count your money before walking away. I alwaya count my money before I walk away from a teller at a bank in the US. This goes for corner stores, check casing etc. You should double check in DR.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post

Just be aware my friends, I was very shocked when I saw these receipts had been tampered and give fake totals.
    The same MF'er tried to scam me 500 pesos on the 23rd. Added the bills twice and it came to 3600 instead of 4100. When I questioned the rate here comes a 500 peso bill that he had in his hand from the cage. I changed there 3 times before without any problems. This time there was a second dude by the by the cellphone counter who tries to soften me up by telling me he knew me before and I was his amigo.

F that place. I rather use the ATM.

33. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Guthrie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I'm going to disagree with carrying a copy of your passport around. For what reason ?

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information