Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/2013 - New Cambio Scam

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Re: New Cambio Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Meat View Post
    I'm going to disagree with carrying a copy of your passport around. For what reason ?
    So you have a form of ID that all authorities are familiar with if you need to produce it for any reason. Or, if you have a run-in with the law here, you might need to call the Embassy of your country (you should also carry a copy of that phone number or have it in your phone). In that situation you can show the Consulate that comes the copy you have with you as I assume you are not dumb enough to carry your actual passport around with you. Plus you would need it at WU or getting a phone at the Orange or Claro store for example. When on vacation here it is prudent to have two wallets. One, with all your credit cards ect....everything related to the real world where you live; even your driver's license if not driving here. That wallet stays in your room safe. The other with nothing but your pesos for the day and a copy of your passport. There is no reason not to carry a copy of your passport with you.

This would seem to be common sense to me.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

I'm not sure how readily accepted this would be in the DR (thinking not widely, yet), but people are now starting to take pics of their passports and entry stamps with their smart phones.

I didn't have a need to use it, but I did this on my last trip along with carrying a copy. Why not, it can't hurt right?
    Vida es buena....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

I have a photo copy of my passport that I bring with me but I don't carry it around. In Sosua I'm never more that a 5 minute walk back to hotel.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a photo copy of my passport that I bring with me but I don't carry it around. In Sosua I'm never more that a 5 minute walk back to hotel.
    Well, that settles it then. That is easily the best reason I have heard of to not carry a copy of your passport with you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    So you have a form of ID that all authorities are familiar with if you need to produce it for any reason. Or, if you have a run-in with the law here, you might need to call the Embassy of your country (you should also carry a copy of that phone number or have it in your phone). In that situation you can show the Consulate that comes the copy you have with you as I assume you are not dumb enough to carry your actual passport around with you. Plus you would need it at WU or getting a phone at the Orange or Claro store for example. When on vacation here it is prudent to have two wallets. One, with all your credit cards ect....everything related to the real world where you live; even your driver's license if not driving here. That wallet stays in your room safe. The other with nothing but your pesos for the day and a copy of your passport. There is no reason not to carry a copy of your passport with you.

This would seem to be common sense to me.
    You also need one to be able to check into any hotel in the DR and to use a credit card. I see no downside to carrying a copy of your passport.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

Well, that settles it then. That is easily the best reason I have heard of to not carry a copy of your passport with you.
    That really made me laugh.
    I've offended you.....goood

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    You also need one to be able to check into any hotel in the DR and to use a credit card. I see no downside to carrying a copy of your passport.
    Of course you would say that. I have seen you visiting Sosua on numerous occasions and I am absolutely certian that two or three times you were more than a 10 minute walk from your hotel. Hence the need for you to carry a copy because you exceeded the 5 minute event horizon. You wild and crazy guy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Of course you would say that. I have seen you visiting Sosua on numerous occasions and I am absolutely certian that two or three times you were more than a 10 minute walk from your hotel. Hence the need for you to carry a copy because you exceeded the 5 minute event horizon. You wild and crazy guy.
    I always carried a copy and 50 pesos.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I always carried a copy and 50 pesos.
    A lost kid tag for you probably wouldn't hurt either.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A lost kid tag for you probably wouldn't hurt either.
    By the time 2005 came along, everyone knew my name.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Living dangerously at it's finest.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Most authorities are not going to accept a photo copy of a passport if you are stopped.If you are pulled over in the United States by the police and give them a photo copy of your drivers license how do you think that is going to go over? I keep a copy stashed in my luggage inner liner in case I lose my original. I'll be able to give the consulate pertinent information such as passport # and expiration date etc which will expedite the process of getting a new one.

Another reason not to carry a copy of your passport around is if you lose the copy someone can use your information (name ,DOB) as fraud , identity theft, and other illegal transactions. Also, Criminals often use stolen identities to create fake passports.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I like to live on the edge!!! I have been known to stray up to one hour away from my hotel.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Most authorities are not going to accept a photo copy of a passport if you are stopped.If you are pulled over in the United States by the police and give them a photo copy of your drivers license how do you think that is going to go over? I keep a copy stashed in my luggage inner liner in case I lose my original. I'll be able to give the consulate pertinent information such as passport # and expiration date etc which will expedite the process of getting a new one.

Another reason not to carry a copy of your passport around is if you lose the copy someone can use your information (name ,DOB) as fraud , identity theft, and other illegal transactions. Also, Criminals often use stolen identities to create fake passports.
    Gentleman, I think he is correct. From here forward...carry your original passport in your back pocket. A paper copy does not suffice.

Yo no se nada. CONO!

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by balcoach View Post
    Gentleman, I think he is correct. From here forward...carry your original passport in your back pocket. A paper copy does not suffice.

Yo no se nada. CONO!
    If you lose the original, you are fucked.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

You could scan it and send the scan to your email address. If all belongings get lost, you'll always have access to the internet and a printer, somewhere, to print it out.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,563 Times in 2,554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    If you lose the original, you are fucked.
    I just renewed late October and also applied for the card. I can't say I'm anxious to be in a position to have to use it but, if I do, it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I just renewed late October and also applied for the card. I can't say I'm anxious to be in a position to have to use it but, if I do, it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be.
    I believe the card is only good at land ports.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html

I have been rethinking the paper copy and last trip carried my passport card instead. Kept passport in safe.
    Proud graduate of Sex County Vocational School - '69

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lordg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordg View Post
    The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt...card_3926.html

I have been rethinking the paper copy and last trip carried my passport card instead. Kept passport in safe.
    Added: I forgot to mention the sleeve for the card is foil-like lined which should protect the RIFD Chip. More to read on the link...

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lordg For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information