Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 12/2013 - Avoid Midtown Sosua Restaurant inside Hotel Don Antonio.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: Avoid Midtown Sosua Restaurant inside Hotel Don Antonio.

Quote Originally Posted by Siochana View Post
    My breakfast seems to magically appear somewhere between 8-12 minutes (never more than 15 and that's rare) after being ordered...and it's "almost" too fast! lol

I barely have time for a coffee and a smoke before it arrives.

Been that way for years starting not long after Rick bought the place.
    What is the rush anyway?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Hey wingman, things have changed since back in the day. My breakfast/lunch arrives within minutes and it's always delicious. The new management has been a blessing!!
    I trust you wingman but you know we have been doing this for more that a decade and I stopped going to Rocky's before the new management. Next time we are in Sosua together I will give them another chance.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    So it seems only one out of many had an issue?
    And we are still waiting for the whole story YES?!?!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3 View Post
    I don't get along with everyone so this may be an example of someone not getting along with a business owner.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I trust you wingman but you know we have been doing this for more that a decade and I stopped going to Rocky's before the new management. Next time we are in Sosua together I will give them another chance.

Click to see pic
    We met over 13 years ago online. You and me are still going strong.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

Can we have more details?
    Yes, sorry for the slow reply but wanted to check with Rick from Rockys before including him in the post.

It went down like this. In 2013 I stayed at Don Antonio's in February, August and again in December. The Midtown Restaurant was only open a few months when I first met the owner, Allan in February. Between myself and the other guys that have eaten there on my recommendation I loosely estimate we have collectively spent in excess of $3000 eating and drinking there. Had my 50th BDay party there too. On the day I posted my negative review I was sitting at the bar doing some work. I had arranged a meeting with Rick to help him with some business. I asked if he would meet me at the Midtown and I would introduce him to Allen. Rick said he was on his way. I told Allen that Rick was the best guy I knew in Sosua and thought Allen would enjoy meeting him and Rick and I were meeting for business. While waiting for Rick, Sydney pops in for lunch. I told Allen to put his meal on my bill...as well as Rick's drinks when he arrived. Sydney sits down and orders and shortly after Rick arrives. I introduce Rick and Allen. Rick extends his hand and says Rick from Rockys, nice to meet you. Allen replies, "Ah, Rockys...the place with average food, welcome to Midtown the place with excellent food...strike one. Rick and I shrugged of the shitty comment by the French-Canadian, Allen and went about with our meeting while also chatting with Allen and Sydney. Sydney finished up and left and Rick followed shortly after.

Shortly after that a good friend of Allen arrives with a box of Monte Cristo #4 Cuban Cigars that Allen quickly mentioned cost his friend $375 USD. I had bought a Dominican Cigar on the beach that day and wasn't happy with the draw and had it sitting idle in the ashtray. Allen knew I was a frequent traveler to Cuba and asked what the street price so he could sell them at the restaurant. I told him I couldn't offer an opinion on those cigars without seeing them and examining them. He got angry and said "yeah but you are smoking that D.R. cigar there and paid 250pesos so why can't you give me a price? 200? 600? in between?" now this is going on in front of his buddy that bought and delivered them. I said "It's not the same thing". He replied "Why can't you just answer the damn question? Just give me a price" again pointing to the D.R. cigar in the ashtray. I had finally had enough, i picked up the D.R. cig and broke it in half and reiterated "It's not the same thing and this cigar was shit". He struggled to open the box that was sealed with the Cuba tax stamp and after a bit of fighting he managed to open the box. I ask to see it, the cigars weren't horrible, nice caps, but a tad loose in the box as well as dry. He offered me one to try stating simply "smoke it and give me a price". I proceeded to bit of the tip and it crumbled like a dry twig. I set it down and said I wouldn't pay anything for that cigar. His friend got up and left, I then told Allen "Don't ever put me on the spot like that again, that was bullshit" to which he responded "Don't talk to me that way"...to which I responded "Give me my check" again he warned me to not talk to him like that....my response "give me my fucking check or I have no check"...Bill was 2400 pesos, I paid and left.

The following day I had another meeting with Rick but this time at Rockys. Sydney was there so we had a brief conversation. He had seen my post on the board and asked what happened. As we spoke we discovered that Allen had charge me for Syd's meal as requested but Allen ALSO charged Syd for his meal. Outright thievery. I then met with Rick to make sure my account of our conversation with Allen was accurate in his negative comments upon meeting Rick. Rick confirmed the conversation went exactly as I have recounted here. So take it for what you want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgunzbxxx View Post
    I have enjoyed eating there several times... Allen has always been a gracious host when dealing with me. Even after becoming friendly with a waitress after work hours.. which I dont believe he was thrilled with. You should go into more detail.
    If the waitress was Maria, that is his ex/current GF depending on the day. Last time she mentioned it she still lived with Allen in Sosua. they owned a restaurant together in La Vega for a year or so but didnt make any money. I am staying in Villa Mella and since it has been New Years I haven't had time to be online. Will field whatever questions you guys have knowing someone will have something baseless to offer eventually. The truth comes with rebuttal albeit lacking accuracy at times.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    Yes, sorry for the slow reply but wanted to check with Rick from Rockys before including him in the post.

It went down like this. In 2013 I stayed at Don Antonio's in February, August and again in December. The Midtown Restaurant was only open a few months when I first met the owner, Allan in February. Between myself and the other guys that have eaten there on my recommendation I loosely estimate we have collectively spent in excess of $3000 eating and drinking there. Had my 50th BDay party there too. On the day I posted my negative review I was sitting at the bar doing some work. I had arranged a meeting with Rick to help him with some business. I asked if he would meet me at the Midtown and I would introduce him to Allen. Rick said he was on his way. I told Allen that Rick was the best guy I knew in Sosua and thought Allen would enjoy meeting him and Rick and I were meeting for business. While waiting for Rick, Sydney pops in for lunch. I told Allen to put his meal on my bill...as well as Rick's drinks when he arrived. Sydney sits down and orders and shortly after Rick arrives. I introduce Rick and Allen. Rick extends his hand and says Rick from Rockys, nice to meet you. Allen replies, "Ah, Rockys...the place with average food, welcome to Midtown the place with excellent food...strike one. Rick and I shrugged of the shitty comment by the French-Canadian, Allen and went about with our meeting while also chatting with Allen and Sydney. Sydney finished up and left and Rick followed shortly after.

Shortly after that a good friend of Allen arrives with a box of Monte Cristo #4 Cuban Cigars that Allen quickly mentioned cost his friend $375 USD. I had bought a Dominican Cigar on the beach that day and wasn't happy with the draw and had it sitting idle in the ashtray. Allen knew I was a frequent traveler to Cuba and asked what the street price so he could sell them at the restaurant. I told him I couldn't offer an opinion on those cigars without seeing them and examining them. He got angry and said "yeah but you are smoking that D.R. cigar there and paid 250pesos so why can't you give me a price? 200? 600? in between?" now this is going on in front of his buddy that bought and delivered them. I said "It's not the same thing". He replied "Why can't you just answer the damn question? Just give me a price" again pointing to the D.R. cigar in the ashtray. I had finally had enough, i picked up the D.R. cig and broke it in half and reiterated "It's not the same thing and this cigar was shit". He struggled to open the box that was sealed with the Cuba tax stamp and after a bit of fighting he managed to open the box. I ask to see it, the cigars weren't horrible, nice caps, but a tad loose in the box as well as dry. He offered me one to try stating simply "smoke it and give me a price". I proceeded to bit of the tip and it crumbled like a dry twig. I set it down and said I wouldn't pay anything for that cigar. His friend got up and left, I then told Allen "Don't ever put me on the spot like that again, that was bullshit" to which he responded "Don't talk to me that way"...to which I responded "Give me my check" again he warned me to not talk to him like that....my response "give me my fucking check or I have no check"...Bill was 2400 pesos, I paid and left.

The following day I had another meeting with Rick but this time at Rockys. Sydney was there so we had a brief conversation. He had seen my post on the board and asked what happened. As we spoke we discovered that Allen had charge me for Syd's meal as requested but Allen ALSO charged Syd for his meal. Outright thievery. I then met with Rick to make sure my account of our conversation with Allen was accurate in his negative comments upon meeting Rick. Rick confirmed the conversation went exactly as I have recounted here. So take it for what you want.
    Sounds to me that the owner is an asshole but if the food is good and not over priced, its a different matter. Lots of assholes own a business but give a quality product.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was there 2 weeks ago without incident.

Sometimes personalities clash...people have bad days...SHIITE HAPPENS

The best way to deal with it is for the injured party to place an embargo on that establishment. Don't spend your $$$ not only at that restaurant but also at the hotel.

Click to see pic

Then there is NO way for them to ever impact your feng shui again when you are on vacation.

agreed but in this case Allen made a shitty comment to Rick while being introduced to him....introduced as a good, stand up guy that I thought you would enjoy meeting. Then Allen got shitty with me and charged both Sydney and me for Sydney's meal.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

Sounds to me that the owner is an asshole but if the food is good and not over priced, its a different matter. Lots of assholes own a business but give a quality product.
    True, very true... If I feel mistreated I would also never go back or give the owner my money or business... But, I dont know if I would put it on the board not to go to a certain place... But I would probably put that the owner is a dickhead and beware if you happen to go...

Depends how much of a dick the guy was too...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrooklynBeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So it seems only one out of many had an issue?
    Not sure how many is "many" but I think Rick and Sydney will confirm my long response from earlier so I anticipate the "one" being more than "one"....maybe even "many" before it's done.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,733 Times in 1,193 Posts

Do you hate all french canadian ?
    Want to buy ISOC Subscription and pay in Bitcoins?
    2 year : Bitcoin
    1 year : Bitcoin
    Bitcoin Address: 1KnSXcmWbZPcHeWxvmBPKAq71EHCRYCGjq

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to martin0siddle For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Not sure how many is "many" but I think Rick and Sydney will confirm my long response from earlier so I anticipate the "one" being more than "one"....maybe even "many" before it's done.
    It seems that there will be those that have been going there and will continue to go while you and others won't be any more.

Still, this is a good topic.

thanks

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry so slow with the response, wanted permission from Rick to go further. I am not staying in Sosua now, we were only there through Sunday and have been tied up with New Year's Festivities at other end of island. I don't log in to ISOC as often as the rest of you.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry so slow with the response, wanted permission from Rick to go further. I am not staying in Sosua now, we were only there through Sunday and have been tied up with New Year's Festivities at other end of island. I don't log in to ISOC as often as the rest of you.
    That is perfectly ok.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin0siddle View Post
    Do you hate all french canadian ?
    lol, no but I am willing to learn.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: 12/2013 - Avoid Midtown Sosua Restaurant inside Hotel Don Antonio.

Now for the rest of it. I went back to speak with Obe (the long time manager of Hotel Don Antonio) about it the next day (Sunday). Told him the same story I posted here. His comment "I am not surprised but I am disappointed about Allen". I told him about my board post and he stressed to me to make sure I tell everyone that Allen is NOT affiliated with Don Antonio and only rents the restaurant from the owner. The two businesses are not the same owner and I can vouch for the honesty I have always received from Obe and the Hotel in the past. I always try to spread out my nights between Mary Rose, Sosua Suites and Don Antonio...and that WON'T change. This wasn't the first time I have seen bad behavior from Allen with other clients....just didn't think it was my business to mention the other shit when I wasn't personally involved and knowing ALL the facts first hand by fucking being there.

33. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Midtown Restaurant & Bar

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Care to tell us what happened?
    sorry for the slow response. With New Years and the fact I have been traveling, I haven't had time to log on until now. Here is the story in it's own thread.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...el-Don-Antonio

Thanks to everyone for their patience

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And if you are going to mention Rocky's be sure that you let all the rookies on the board know that although some consider the food to be great you will have a LONG LONG LONG wait before you receive said comida.

My wingman loves the food there...I cannot in good conscience endorse a place that makes me wait up to 30 minutes to receive pancakes.
    Just a quick note off-topic:
    Ate breakfast at Rocky's twice last weekend. < 15 minutes each time. On Saturday I order the #50 which is their largest breakfast with pancakes (I think). Still under 15 minutes. Ordered pizza there on Saturday night while watching Christmas Vacation on Rocky's Movie Night. Again, no problem with the service/speed. But a review of Rocky's is another thread.

37. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Food prices are what I would call "good" as is the quality of most of the meals...except for the doubling of the price for Sidney's meal. That's stealing...and not by a staff member but by the owner himself. I have ZERO tolerance for that.

If you order scrambled eggs you need to tell Allen to scramble the eggs before putting in to the skillet. I had them in August and they came out white and yellow as Allen has the cook crack the eggs in to the skillet and scramble them while cooking. When asked about that method he said that is how it is done in Montreal. Must be a difference in culinary cultures. No a big deal but more of a preference.

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information