Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/2013 - Big fan of the site.

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: Hello from UK

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Probably looking for me, to repay the tenner I borrowed in Pratt's Bottom when I told him my bank card had stopped working.

So you tried to hit up an ATM in Pratt's Bottom?

that's just all sorts of wrong.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

Re: New member, interested in visiting the DR

Quote Originally Posted by thewall72335 View Post
    Weyland,

By all-inclusive, I was talking about places like Club Fantasy Island and the like. On first glance, those places seem to make it easy for their visitors, i.e. everything is already paid for within the resort, meals, drinks, girls, airport transportation, etc, don't worry about reaching for your wallet everytime you eat or have a drink. Reach for the wallet only if you want to book an excursion off the resort. Take a look at their all-inclusive prices, though, and they just don't work out compared to a Blackbeards.

Based on what I've found so far in my research, I am most interested in Blackbeards. It's not that big a deal to keep up with the spending money, to exchange currencies, to keep up with what has been spent, etc. I've done it before, just not in the DR. Blackbeards seems to be well run, for a long time now, and that seems to me to be an important thing: knowing that the people you're dealing with are on the up-and-up.

thewall72335
    places like 'club fantasy island' are for the people who don't know any better and/or have more money than brains. you'd be paying $4-500/day for chicas who you could have outside of that place for $50-75. And I don't mean chicas on the same level of looks - i mean the exact same chicas.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Based on what I've found so far in my research, I am most interested in Blackbeards. It's not that big a deal to keep up with the spending money, to exchange currencies, to keep up with what has been spent, etc. I've done it before, just not in the DR. Blackbeards seems to be well run, for a long time now, and that seems to me to be an important thing: knowing that the people you're dealing with are on the up-and-up.
    Yes, Blackbeards is fine. You cannot go wrong there. You pay a slight premium for having everything on site but that is only fair. Not a rip-off like the other places you mention.

I've been convinced to change my mind from one of the All-inclusive type vacations to more of a freelance type thing in the Puerto Plata/Sosua area.
    However, I would hardly call Blackbeards "freelance". You don't say how long you are going for, but if for more than a week you might like to spend half at Blackbeards and the second half in Sosua really "freelance"

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Yes, Blackbeards is fine. You cannot go wrong there. You pay a slight premium for having everything on site but that is only fair. Not a rip-off like the other places you mention.

However, I would hardly call Blackbeards "freelance". You don't say how long you are going for, but if for more than a week you might like to spend half at Blackbeards and the second half in Sosua really "freelance"

Freelance was probably not the best word I could have chosen. Whereas at CFI and the like, you have to choose a companion for a full 24 hour period (and are thus stuck with a 'wife for a night') before being able to change to a different one , Blackbeards gives the opportunity to do do shorttime with any of the ladies present, whenever, or not. Longtime, also, of course. To me, that's less regimented than CFI, thus more freelance. Staying in Sosua, at a fairly decent hotel, mongering the clubs and other venues for talent, would truly be freelance, no doubt.

I'm planning now for a seven night stay. I don't know if i'd consider splitting that between two hotels or not. It's doable but maybe not sensible.

Thanks so much,
    thewall72335

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thewall72335 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I'm planning now for a seven night stay. I don't know if i'd consider splitting that between two hotels or not. It's doable but maybe not sensible.
    My first ever DR trip I stayed two weeks at Blackbeards, rarely ventured outside, and loved every minute. Could have stayed another two weeks without getting bored. I am an old fart. I hate changes to routine and it takes me ages to get organized so, like you, I wouldn't want to move if only there for a week. But many of our younger members think nothing of staying only one night in a place than changing.

A point to note is that, unless you rent a car (and that needs thinking about carefully) you will either be stuck at Blackbeards or have to rely on very expensive taxis if you want to see more of the country. Whereas Field of Dreams is situated on the main road between Puerto Plata and Sosua, and there is very cheap public transport running 24/7 from there to anywhere on the North Coast.

But I don't think you will get bored at Blackbeards in only seven days, and if you make friends with other mongers (easily done there) you might be able to share transport for outings.

Incidentally, although I loved Blackbeards on that first trip, I was never tempted to go back there on any of the subsequent seven. I preferred "freelancing."
    Last edited by weyland; 01-12-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland;12look 74606
    My first ever DR trip I stayed two weeks at Blackbeards, rarely ventured outside, and loved every minute. Could have stayed another two weeks without getting bored. I am an old fart. I hate changes to routine and it takes me ages to get organized so, like you, I wouldn't want to move if only there for a week. But many of our younger members think nothing of staying only one night in a place than changing.

A point to note is that, unless you rent a car (and that needs thnking about carefully) you will either be stuck at Blackbeards or have to rely on very expensive taxis if you want to see more of the country. Whereas Field of Dreams is situated on the main road between Puerto Plata and Sosua, and there is very cheap public transport running 24/7 from there to anywhere on the North Coast.

But I don't think you will get bored at Blackbeards in only seven days, and if you make friends with other mongers (easily done there) you might be able to share transport for outings.

Incidentally, although I loved Blackbeards on that first trip, I was never tempted to go back there on any of the subsequent seven. I preferred "freelancing."
    I'll take another look at FOD. I considered their all-inclusive package and then forgot about them due to price. Their ala cart pricing isn't bad. I'm 57 now, and I do like to get settled in and comfortable with the people and surroundings wherever I go. Settling in at Blackbeards is looking pretty good right now. As far as getting outside Costambar, I don't know, maybe for a day or so, hopefully I could partner up with other guests, to share costs and enjoy the company.

I'm excited. My old soul really takes a while to recuperate when making those long Asian flights. The nearness of the DR, along with the available fun, just seems too good to be true. I'm going to find out, that's for sure.

Many thanks for your comments and advice.

Thewall72335

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thewall72335 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

I'll take another look at FOD. I considered their all-inclusive package and then forgot about them due to price. Their ala cart pricing isn't bad. I'm 57 now, and I do like to get settled in and comfortable with the people and surroundings wherever I go. Settling in at Blackbeards is looking pretty good right now. As far as getting outside Costambar, I don't know, maybe for a day or so, hopefully I could partner up with other guests, to share costs and enjoy the company.

I'm excited. My old soul really takes a while to recuperate when making those long Asian flights. The nearness of the DR, along with the available fun, just seems too good to be true. I'm going to find out, that's for sure.

Many thanks for your comments and advice.

Thewall72335
    Read a few reports and then decide.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New here.. looking for a destination

Hey all,

I'm looking for a destination decently affordable leaving from Toronto,on.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bam136 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: New here.. looking for a destination

Quote Originally Posted by bam136 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking for a destination decently affordable leaving from Toronto,on.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    Montreal is fun.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi, new member here...

Hi,

I was in Sosua between Christmas and New Years and had the good fortunate to visit Blackbeards one evening. There I met two members of this site who recommended I join. So here I am! Meanwhile I'm looking forward to a trip back to Blackbeards, for more then a couple of hours, in the near future...

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,076 Posts

Re: 01/2014 - Big fan of the site.

I can take Google Wallet and Send Invoices thru Square.

3 days is $8.00

1 Month is $12.00

3 Months is $25.00

6 Months is $40

1 yr is $60

2 yr is $90

3 yr is $115

5 yr is $250

the 1 year and more include admission into Jimmy's stash area

E mail me at Jdrent97@gmail.com

I will need

Website Handle

and which subscription you are interested in

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hello, I'm new here

Hello everyone. I'm planning a few trips this year. The places I'm planning to hobby in are Cuba, Mexico and DR. I'm planning to visit Eastern Europe next year. Any help will be appreciated.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Onelongfinger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Re: Hello, I'm new here

Welcome aboard. Do yourself a favor and buy trip report access here. Everything you need to know is there. The return on your investment is ten fold.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,894 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onelongfinger View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm planning a few trips this year. The places I'm planning to hobby in are Cuba, Mexico and DR. I'm planning to visit Eastern Europe next year. Any help will be appreciated.
    I would chose Cuba and DR over Mexico.
    "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Groucho Marx

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drdreamer For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Welcome aboard. Do yourself a favor and buy trip report access here. Everything you need to know is there. The return on your investment is ten fold.
    I think with a subscription, it may save a smart guy even $1,000's.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile What up my chicks

Wild college girl
    party animal
    athlete

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rowe1202 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: What up my chicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe1202 View Post
    Wild college girl
    party animal
    athlete
    r u a wild athletic college party animal or on the look out for one
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,118 Times in 6,021 Posts

Re: What up my chicks

What up my chicks???? We're all guys here.
    You're a wild college girl??? I'm so confused.

We don't catch feelings, we catch flights.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tarzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Glad to be here

Hi everyone,

I have just joined your forum under etgohm. I am a frequent traveller to Pattaya but as l live in Canada l am anxious to start spending time in DR. Making my first of many trips in March so l am always glad to meet with fellow punters.

Cheers,
    ET

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to etgohm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 112 Posts

Newbie Coming to DR 25th January!

Hello Everyone,

Well, after a few visits to other countries with affordable gorgeous women, I'm finally coming to DR! This is a fairly last minute decision so I don't have all my plans made yet! Thanks for everyone who contributes to this forum as I'm sure it will help me greatly. I'm trying to have a read now in between trying to learn some Spanish! It would be great to meet up with some members when I'm there (I'm a Brit in my 30s if that is important to anyone!)

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enquisitive For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information