Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sosua for Dummies - Beginners Guide to Monger’s Disneyland

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Re: Sosua for Dummies - Beginners Guide to Monger’s Disneyland

Dquick giving mongering advice. Lawddddd take me now I have seen it all.... Just kidding Quicksyterr, actually informative.

One word of the advice dont drink the water use your bottle water to brush your teeth and dont eat the burger at Rhumba... Knocked me out for two days.....

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,640 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    This one may be useful for many, LA PLAYA - an English or German magazine - that can be picked up in Sosua, has got its Sosua Yellow Pages section in 8-9 pages. Anyone with access to a good color scanner please copy and post in pdf this section. It has got a lot of useful info hotels, bars etc with addresses and telephones.
    http://www.laplaya-dominicana.com/

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to daddyooo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Getting Dominican Pesos
    I almost forgot about this very important topic. You have to decide up from whether to bring US cash or use ATMs. If your plan is to use ATMs, make sure you have multiple cards that you can pull from. You do not want a problem with one institution to rullen your trip. There are multiple banks in Sosua. I personally like Scotia Bank’s ATM which is inside the Pharmacy beside the Texaco on the main road. Scotia is a large Canadian bank, therefore I trust this bank. This ATM also allows you to withdraw up to 10,000 pesos. Some ATMs in the DR only allow 4000 pesos per transaction. Remember you will pay fees per each transaction, so you may want to keep the number of transactions to a minimum.

One thing to watch out for is Skimming Devices. I have a close friend who works in Banking Fraud Prevention. There has been multiple reports of Skimming Devices being installed on ATMs in Boca Chica. He has not seen a similar incident in Sosua, but it is probably just a mater of time.

Note: If you do not know what a skimming device is, please educate yourself. This is used quite often by thieves in the United States. I do a quick scan for skimming devices before I use any ATM.

Now if you carried cash on you, you need to change your money to pesos. There are many guys on the street in Sosua shouting "Change. Change." DO NOT CHANGE MONEY FROM A GUY ON THE STREET. ONLY CHANGE MONEY FROM GUYS IN BUILDINGS!!!

Many of these guys try to slip counterfeit pesos in your stack. This is a common problem, but if you are dealing with an actual business in a building, you can always return to the store. The best place to exchange money is at Western Union. They normally have the best rate. The one thing to remember is that they require you to show your passport. They track where money came from to protect themselves.

One more thing. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY BILLS LARGER THAN 1000 PESO NOTE. You really want a variety of bills. Most of the small businesses do not have change. And don't expect the chicas to have change either.

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dquick View Post
    Getting Dominican Pesos
    I almost forgot about this very important topic. You have to decide up from whether to bring US cash or use ATMs. If your plan is to use ATMs, make sure you have multiple cards that you can pull from. You do not want a problem with one institution to rullen your trip. There are multiple banks in Sosua. I personally like Scotia Bank’s ATM which is inside the Pharmacy beside the Texaco on the main road. Scotia is a large Canadian bank, therefore I trust this bank. This ATM also allows you to withdraw up to 10,000 pesos. Some ATMs in the DR only allow 4000 pesos per transaction. Remember you will pay fees per each transaction, so you may want to keep the number of transactions to a minimum.

One thing to watch out for is Skimming Devices. I have a close friend who works in Banking Fraud Prevention. There has been multiple reports of Skimming Devices being installed on ATMs in Boca Chica. He has not seen a similar incident in Sosua, but it is probably just a mater of time.

Note: If you do not know what a skimming device is, please educate yourself. This is used quite often by thieves in the United States. I do a quick scan for skimming devices before I use any ATM.

Now if you carried cash on you, you need to change your money to pesos. There are many guys on the street in Sosua shouting "Change. Change." DO NOT CHANGE MONEY FROM A GUY ON THE STREET. ONLY CHANGE MONEY FROM GUYS IN BUILDINGS!!!

Many of these guys try to slip counterfeit pesos in your stack. This is a common problem, but if you are dealing with an actual business in a building, you can always return to the store. The best place to exchange money is at Western Union. They normally have the best rate. The one thing to remember is that they require you to show your passport. They track where money came from to protect themselves.

One more thing. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY BILLS LARGER THAN 1000 PESO NOTE. You really want a variety of bills. Most of the small businesses do not have change. And don't expect the chicas to have change either.
    Scotia Bank in the D.R. is not a branch of the Canadian Bank. It is a separate subsidiary.

Watch out for counterfeit 2000 pesos notes. If you don't know how to spot them, just avoid them.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    Scotia Bank in the D.R. is not a branch of the Canadian Bank. It is a separate subsidiary.
    Read DR1. Plenty of stories there about gringos who have come unstuck through assuming they are dealing with the "real" Scotia Bank.

Also I would query using an ATM in a farmacia. Always better to use one at a bank. You can get your card back next day (maybe even same day) if the machine eats it. That has happened to me twice. Once outside Banco Popular. Once in a stand-alone hole-in-the-wall along the highway. In the latter case it took four days to get my card back.

But the better advice is not to use ATMs at all. Draw a sizable sum (say enough for two/three days) in one hit inside the bank during the daytime over the teller counter. (You will need your passport). Return to your hotel in the daylight and store your stash in the safe. Only take out the maximum you will need each evening. This routine has the following advantages.

1) You are less likely to be mugged if you tuck away your money in inside or zipped pockets inside the bank and go home in the daylight than drawing it from an ATM in the dark.

2) No chance of your card being eaten or malfunctioning or getting cloned.

3) You can ask for plenty of small denomination notes and coins at the teller counter. Change is hard to get in Sosua, resulting in overpaying.

4) Helps you keep within your budget for the evening.
    Last edited by weyland; 01-20-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 34,226 Times in 2,769 Posts

Chica Pricing
    The general price structure for Sosua is 1500 +/- 500 pesos for ST (Short Term) and 2500 +/- 500 pesos for TLN (All Night Long). Short term in general consist o you getting one nut, then the chica leaves. For TLN you are expected to get 1 nut that night, the chica spends the night, then one more nut in the morning.

This price is just a general guide. Some chicas are going to demand more money and will wait until somebody is willing to pay it. Other chicas will go cheap. My advice to a first timer is to size up the situation before talking to a chica. Talk to the chica to get the feel for her. Then make the chica a fair offer. I will walk you through each step.

Sizing up the Situation
    Prices are always lower during the day, than at night. If you meet a chica during the day around the beach or walking on the strip, she is probably bored. She is more likely to accept a lower price than she will demand later in the evening. The more guys who are around looking for a chica, the higher the price will get. Prices are higher on popular weekends, like Super Bowl. Prices are generally lower all day long on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesdays.

The thing for a first timer to remember is that these girls are free lancers. They can accept whatever price they choose. They don’t charge every guy the same amount, just like you should not pay every chica the same amount.

Sizing Up Chicas
    Now you see a chica that you possibly want. The most important thing is to take your time and don’t be in too much of a hurry. If the chica senses that you are “Thirsty”, the price will go up. If possible, take a look at the chica from a distance. Is she sitting alone in a bar? She is waiting for somebody to come up to her. This is a good thing. Is she with a group of friends having a great time? She probably is not in a hurry to leave with you for money. I would not hesitate to go up to her, but you should keep in mind that she did not have working on her mind. To get the best price, simply get her number. Call her later to get the best price.

Everybody has their own taste in chicas. Some like bigger chicas, some like smaller, some only go for light Dominicans. Others like dark skin Haitians. But you need to take a good look at a chica when making a choice. 99.9% of Sosua chicas will go with any guy for a price. There is no reason to spend all that money on airfare and hotel, then pick an ugly chica because she was willing to accept the equivalent of $10 less. It does not matter whether you would have fucked her back home. You are paying, so your standards should go up. (Unless your budget a day is $100 US)

I would advice all new guys to beware of “Low Hanging Fruit”. There are always more chicas than guys. Some chicas rarely get pulled. This is because most guys don’t find her attractive enough to pay. I watch guys target girls like this and make them a 500 peso offer for ST or 1500 peso offer for TLN. Because they don’t make much money, these girls will accept the offer to get back to your room. BUT these girls cause problems more time than others. They may steal. They may try to change the price on you and go crazy when you refuse to pay it. IMO, its just not worth it. Nothing is 100%, but if a chica makes good money on the strip, she is less likely to give you any problems.

Other things to look at? Look at a chicas clothes. Ask for her number and take a look at her cell phone. If you meet a fine chica, that clothes are a bit cheap. She could use a good trip to the salon. AND she has a cheap cell phone. There are only two possibilities. She is either under age or she is new to Sosua. I would check her ID. (You should do this for every girl before she gets to your room.) If she is of age, you just hit the jackpot. She is new to the scene. Girls new to the scene are normally more reasonable on price and give better sessions. Girls who have been around for a while, hair is fresh out of the salon and has the latest cell phone, already sized you up as a newbie. This can be handled, so don’t let this scare you off.

Making a Fair Offer
    Before you make an offer, spend a little time interacting with the chica. If she does not speak English and you don't speak Spanish, turn this into a game. Try signing and pointing. Try to get her to smile. She should be making every attempt to communicate with you. If she is not making the attempt to communicate with you as well, this is a bad sign. Walk away. One option is to get the chicas number. She will call you, if she is interested in giving you a good session. If her interest is low in the bar, you are going to get a bad session back in your room. She will probably rush.

So now you have a chica that you are getting a good vibe from. If there are any of her friends around, separate her when you are talking money. If you don’t know your numbers in spanish, type the number in your phone. Take in consideration the time of day, the chica and her prospect for getting somebody else that day. I normally make a fair offer which is pretty firm. The chica often counters, but unless it is within 500 pesos of my offer, I simply tell her, maybe another time and step away. Often they will come back to you accepting your fair offer. If she wants 500 pesos more, I might accept if I really want her and she has made a good impression on me. (We are only talking $12.) DO NOT GO BACK AND FORTH ON PRICE! If she is unhappy about what she accepted for compensation, she will probably give you a bad session.

Other things to think about. If the most important thing to you is getting a BBJ vs CBJ, make sure you negotiate this. (If you really want uncovered sex, I would not bring that up in negotiations. BUT that is a topic fo a different thread.) If you really want anal, bring that up. BUT any girl that does not know you is going to charge you extra for this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 377 Posts

Lots of good info people opening up with for new guys.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonew1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 87,562 Times in 8,809 Posts

I made this assessment in my Cabarete - Sosua thread that I believe is relevant to the discussion on chica pricing.

Sosua Tier System:

Apparently there is a tier system for the chicas in Sousa, yes there are levels to this thing just like ISOC. Chicas rate themselves according to how they perceive themselves and any other factors they consider important such as experience etc. For example:

Chica #A perceives herself to be a 9 because she has long natural hair and she is from Santiago she might want 3000DP for ST and 5000DP for TLN.

Chica #B is a Sosua veteran and she perceives herself to be a 8 she might want 2500DP for ST and 4000DP for TLN.

Chica #C is just in transit and not a part of the system and she may expect 1500DP for ST and 2500DP for TLN.

The above listed are simply examples. The problem with the tier system is that it is totally subjective and submission to it gives the chicas more power than I believe they deserve. It is always wisdom on our part to pay what WE believe the chica is valued at and not what she believes she is valued at unless it meets our criteria. I do believe with experience you can look at a Sosua chica and reasonably guess what she expects and negotiate accordingly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 118 Posts

Great thread Dquick! As seasoned travelers, we tend to forget the small stuff that made that first trip a little less than it could have been. If this is someone's first trip outside the US, let alone their hometown, they've probably never even thought about exchange rates! The quickest way to get beat is not knowing what something is worth. Believe me, the locals will always know the current exchange rate and so you should too. Install a currency converter app on your phone. Just like a language conversion app that non-spanish speakers should have, this one will help out in translating the money. Remember, no matter how nice people are, they are hustlers trying to earn money like everyone else. If they can sell something to you for more than its worth because you don't understand what those pesos are equal to in dollars, they will do it! This counts for everything from chicas to tips in bars/restaurants to the dude in the cambio that just beat you for 500 or 1000 pesos because you didn't do the math.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Majicman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Clap Re: Sosua for Dummies - Beginners Guide to Monger’s Disneyland

Absolutely great thread. It needs to stay updated regularly and made a sticky as I spent months going through threads before I joined. Thanks D!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jahworks2k3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,147 Times in 2,001 Posts

Actually the first thread for all the newbies should read...

STOP SNITCHING AND FALLING IN LOVE WITH THESE SOSUA HOES...

Followed by the next statement.

All the chicas think of gringos as

And they are just in place to...

18. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to WSJ3_Sith_Lord For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 634 Posts

Great perspective by DQuick, lets sticky this.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to madvillian For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tarzan View Post

Well...I read it and he makes sense. Like trey might say, "do like I tell you not like I do it".
    That's not even close to what I would say.

More like.........."I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example".

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Dquick, you are forgetting the most important advice of all for a newbie.

"Under no circumstances do you marry a ho."

That could put a crimp in a guy's budget!

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,733 Times in 1,193 Posts

great thread thanks
    Want to buy ISOC Subscription and pay in Bitcoins?
    2 year : Bitcoin
    1 year : Bitcoin
    Bitcoin Address: 1KnSXcmWbZPcHeWxvmBPKAq71EHCRYCGjq

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to martin0siddle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    Dquick, you are forgetting the most important advice of all for a newbie.

"Under no circumstances do you marry a ho."
    That's colder than the snow in my backyard.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

28. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daddyooo View Post
    back in 2003 to 2005 there use to be a similar little booklet available free at most restaurants and hotels called Golden Sun that had lots of advertisement and coupons aimed at tourists ; but last year when I visited it was not there has "la playa" replaced this one ; also back in 2003 you could go to the city hall and ask for a temporary residence card if you were staying for a month or more and with this card you got a discount on food at restaurants and other places ; and actually at any restaurant they often asked you if you were a resident and gave you the other menu with the better prices ; is this still being practiced ; plus booking rooms use to be way cheaper if a local Dominican booked them for you then yourself ;I found that odd because in canada or usa it does not matter were you live everyone pays the same ; Some of these practices for cheaper prices also apply to residents in Eastern European countries ;thank your i;m ricky

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frisky46 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    That's colder than the snow in my backyard.
    Long after the snow melts, the truth will still be true.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information