Thread: The Bus Schedule - Web site

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

The Bus Schedule - Web site

On my next visit to Sosua, I'm interested in a day trip Luperon, which is well known as a port for visiting yachties to clear in to the DR. But I was NOT ready to pay a taxi $100 or more to take me there - certainly not after my introduction to "carros publicos" in December! Problem is - where can i find out about the publicos? Well ... maybe on Google?

After some time muddling through Tourism, Time-Share and AI Resort advertainment, I finally spied a thread on the Virtual Tourist forum about:

The Bus Schedule / Dominican Republic

"The Bus Schedule" covers both tour buses and publicos (or guaguas); put in your starting point and destination on the initial screen, as you see here, and click "Search connection."

And a few seconds later, it comes up with your route, plus the approximate times for your trip:

Looks like I take the hourly Caribe Tours bus from Sosua to Imbert, and catch the guagua (well, I hope it's really a carro publico!) to Luperon ... it certainly looks do-able ...

Out of curiosity, after reading the XXX-Man's trip report on Las Terrenas, I decided to look up Sosua - Las Terrenas on the site. It came up with a guagua from Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan, another from there to Nagua, a third to Sanchez, and a fourth to Las Terrenas - more than four hours ... no thanks, I don't guess I want to make that trip in March ....

But it does offer an alternative to renting a car or paying the Taxi Mafia, especially for day-trips.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Re: The Bus Schedule - Web site

Good information. I've always driven to Luperon when I've gone and it's been an easy ride, but that was several years ago.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to el_papi_chew_low For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,474 Times in 2,511 Posts

Great resource here Thanks for posting this

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minkyboodle For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I would have absolutely no confidence in that schedule whatsover, but not to worry because it is easy-peasy and dirt cheap. From Sosua catch the Metro to Imbert and then a carro publico to Luperon (they leave about every 15 minutes). If there is no Metro leaving at a convenient time, catch a carro publico to La Javilla and another to Imbert. You know where they start from because you were standing there talking to the drivers in your Santa hat. Or the Javilla Tours bus to Imbert from where you should have been waiting (but weren't).

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

I'm not as concerned with the exact time of service as I am with confirming the fact of the service.

Thank you for the additional information, though. Hopefully I will be able to find my way to the La Javilla station in March.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,482 Times in 10,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    On my next visit to Sosua, I'm interested in a day trip Luperon, which is well known as a port for visiting yachties to clear in to the DR. But I was NOT ready to pay a taxi $100 or more to take me there - certainly not after my introduction to "carros publicos" in December! Problem is - where can i find out about the publicos? Well ... maybe on Google?

After some time muddling through Tourism, Time-Share and AI Resort advertainment, I finally spied a thread on the Virtual Tourist forum about:

"The Bus Schedule" covers both tour buses and publicos (or guaguas); put in your starting point and destination on the initial screen, as you see here, and click "Search connection."

Click to see pic

And a few seconds later, it comes up with your route, plus the approximate times for your trip:

Click to see pic

Looks like I take the hourly Caribe Tours bus from Sosua to Imbert, and catch the guagua (well, I hope it's really a carro publico!) to Luperon ... it certainly looks do-able ...

Out of curiosity, after reading the XXX-Man's trip report on Las Terrenas, I decided to look up Sosua - Las Terrenas on the site. It came up with a guagua from Puerto Plata to Rio San Juan, another from there to Nagua, a third to Sanchez, and a fourth to Las Terrenas - more than four hours ... no thanks, I don't guess I want to make that trip in March ....

But it does offer an alternative to renting a car or paying the Taxi Mafia, especially for day-trips.

I took one guagua from Sosua to Sanchez,,,and one From Sanchez to Las Terrenas,,,
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

I think it is much faster to catch a public taxi if it runs all the way there...I used to take it to Rio San Juan....I golfed out at Playa Grande so caught the Sousa/Rio San Juan public taxi in Sousa.. you transfer taxis along the way... took about a hour.... took a guagua the last bit to PLaya Grande...not sure about the rest of the way...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,012 Times in 208 Posts

Guys this may be the wrong place to ask so mods feel free to move it.

I have been looking at coming back to the DR for trip #3 and I can fly into SDQ so much easier with less connections and better schedule than POP or STI. In looking at Caribe tours it seems doable but long. I am ok with up to 4hrs because I still get to Sosua or BBs the day I am flying in without losing a evening of fun. I can't do that coming into POP or STI.

So here is the question, Is this my best bet? The money is like dirt cheap less than $10 bucks I think. I know I will need a taxi or something from the SDQ airport to the bus terminal. But I don't want to pay 150 bucks for a taxi. Hey I will get a back seat and see if I get lucky.

I appreciate any help on the subject. I can book a round trip for around 600.00 in May. Also I would come back the night before my flight out and stay close to the airport. I will look on the TR for some Boca Chica ideas but if anyone knows of a great last night stay/fuck I am interested.

Thanks Guys I really enjoy this board.

Oh and I grew by balls back after my last trip. So I think I will stay in Sosua 4 days and BB 2 or 3. I may try to hit FOD up for Wednesday but who knows it way to early.
    Bud

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bud64 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Weyland,

I didn't mean to jack your thread here with my question. I hope you don't mind.

Thanks

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud64 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bud64 View Post
    Weyland,

Thanks
    How much you saving with this airport?

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    YEagh , I agree unless you saving like at least $300 , i dont see how its worth it. Unless you have another reason to be in Santo Domingo, or spend like 2 days in Boca Chica, then yes.

Santiago, is definitely a Nice Bus ride, and only 2 hours, big difference from Santo Domingo. and to do it both ways, lots of stuff can go wrong. not to mention the TIME constraints. You are potentially messing up 2 days of your vacation.

Why not look at MULTI airport flights, like arrive in Santo Domingo, and DEPART from Puerto Plata ? .. sometimes you can find a bargains in One Way Tickets , especially if you use 2 different Airlines..
    & especially if you are flexible a day or 2.. One way Tickests DEFINITELY work, in some cases..
    .. I Had mixed success myself, but its kind of a Novel and fun way to travel.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Its not the money but the time. If I fly into POP or STI I lose a day both ways so my 7 day trip turns into 5. I don't get into STI until Midnight, so no action and I have a layover in New York going back so I have to cut my trip a day shorter going back.

With SDQ, I can fly in by 1:30pm and be in Sosua by 5:30 at the latest, so I don't lose a day. I can leave early in the morning and get home that night.

The Airfare charge was about $150.00 cheaper roundtrip though to answer your question. The added bonus(maybe) would be to spend a night in close to SDQ airport and experience another part of the DR.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud64 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Weyland,

It is actually Westy's thread, and you have my unqualified permission to fuck up everything he posts at any time.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    YEagh , I agree unless you saving like at least $300 , i dont see how its worth it. Unless you have another reason to be in Santo Domingo, or spend like 2 days in Boca Chica, then yes.

Santiago, is definitely a Nice Bus ride, and only 2 hours, big difference from Santo Domingo. and to do it both ways, lots of stuff can go wrong. not to mention the TIME constraints. You are potentially messing up 2 days of your vacation.

Why not look at MULTI airport flights, like arrive in Santo Domingo, and DEPART from Puerto Plata ? .. sometimes you can find a bargains in One Way Tickets , especially if you use 2 different Airlines..
    & especially if you are flexible a day or 2.. One way Tickests DEFINITELY work, in some cases..
    .. I Had mixed success myself, but its kind of a Novel and fun way to travel.
    Judge, thats EXACTLY what I did for my next trip. Booked 2 one way flights, arriving in POP and departing from SDQ. Combined fares, including a $100 credit from JB, was $547 all in. Best deal I have ever got in all the years I've been coming down.

To the OP, I would suggest doing this if possible. Allow for a couple of days in Boca Chica, for example, if flying into SDQ. Our man, Senor Tranquillo (yayow) has his own beach bar and he can square you away on the goings on in Boca, where to go.....and maybe where not to go!

I've taken the bus, both Metro and Caribe, as have many of us. Personally, Metro was better. Had slightly more legroom and a quicker trip due to fewer stops, maybe 45 min- 1 hour less travel time. But Caribe is every hour if I'm not mistaken, so not such a long wait between departure times.

Give yourself time to enjoy the scene without having to rush to everyplace. Visit FOD or BB's for the afternoon if you really feel the need to go to either place. Otherwise, I would spend my time in a town where your chica possibilities aren't limited to a handful.

Good luck and have fun.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Its not the money but the time. If I fly into POP or STI I lose a day both ways so my 7 day trip turns into 5. I don't get into STI until Midnight, so no action and I have a layover in New York going back so I have to cut my trip a day shorter going back.

With SDQ, I can fly in by 1:30pm and be in Sosua by 5:30 at the latest, so I don't lose a day. I can leave early in the morning and get home that night.

The Airfare charge was about $150.00 cheaper roundtrip though to answer your question. The added bonus(maybe) would be to spend a night in close to SDQ airport and experience another part of the DR.
    More like 9PM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

More like 9PM.
    That would be no bueno

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud64 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That would be no bueno
    You land then clear, then grab a taxi to bus and the bus isn't waiting for you to make that 5 hour drive.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thread Information