Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02/2014 - SHOOTING IN cabarete

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Re: 02/2014 - SHOOTING IN cabarete

I watched this video and can't say enough about this man. Truly a heroic action and I join everyone else in wishing for his full recovery.

The thing that I kept wondering about was, after the shots were fired, no one arrived to help him, at least not until after the end of the video. Where this happened, were there not other people around who heard the noise from the struggle who were close by to get to him sooner?

I'm just glad that help eventually did get there for him before it was too late. Les is one tough hombre for sure!

All the best to your friend, Willie.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I watched this video and can't say enough about this man. Truly a heroic action and I join everyone else in wishing for his full recovery.

The thing that I kept wondering about was, after the shots were fired, no one arrived to help him, at least not until after the end of the video. Where this happened, were there not other people around who heard the noise from the struggle who were close by to get to him sooner?

I'm just glad that help eventually did get there for him before it was too late. Les is one tough hombre for sure!

One thing everyone who travels to the Dominican Republic should learn, don't EVER expect help from the locals in this type of situation, doesn't matter if you're Dominican, or American.

One time I was walking down an avenue in SD with a chica friend, the avenue has zero foot traffic, but a decent amount of cars going both ways. We were walking, and I noticed the chica kept looking back every 10 seconds, or so. I told her to relax, as there was no way anyone would be dumb enough to try, and mug us in broad daylight, in the middle of such a busy avenue, she laughed, and told me I'm extremely naive. She let me know if anyone were to pull over right now, and try mugging us, all the cars passing would keep going, and no one would even think about stopping, she said people are afraid that something bad will happen to them if they try to help, or interfere so they just rather not do anything.

Talking to several other Dominicans, this is the general mindset, they just rather stay out of it, for their own safety. I've lost count of how many chicas I know have been robbed in broad daylight, with dozens of people around, and no one has attempted to even lift a finger to come to their aid.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    One thing everyone who travels to the Dominican Republic should learn, don't EVER expect help from the locals in this type of situation, doesn't matter if you're Dominican, or American.

They can get hurt if they help.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Security camera video of the shooting just been released.

link to youtube video in this page

http://detrasdelrumor.com/index.php/...en-breve-video

64 years old, barefoot with a baseball bat taking on 2 armed robbers. Knocked one of them spark out. Les is my new hero
    I am with you my friend.....the guy is a hero....what the video does not show is that the robbers getting violet with female students in the room along with their chaperone...

when asked for money & cameras one of the students replied in Spanish they had not brought any....the robber then began assaulting the student...... Les showed up in time

to save her & other students....

Willy when I come down next month would luv to meet Les....if you do the intro...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post

Being a school trip they went into lockdown....locking their doors & hiding where they could...the teachers & chaperones would take care of students till help arrives...remember

shots were fired..... most were a sleep.....maybe Willy may know when the help arrived for Les...

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    Being a school trip they went into lockdown....locking their doors & hiding where they could...the teachers & chaperones would take care of students till help arrives...remember

shots were fired..... most were a sleep.....maybe Willy may know when the help arrived for Les...
    I understand City. It was speculation on my part. Hanzo's post puts a sad perspective on the reluctance of people to help out others who are in need, even if it could be a life or death situation.

I'm glad that Les was able to go all David Ortiz on one of those thugs.

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

I visited Les this week. Prognosis is good although he needs more surgeries and recovery is expected to be very lengthy.

Your words of support have been passed on.

I am led to believe that Les has no or very limited medical insurance cover, but need to confirm that. His hospital bill will be huge.

There is now a website giving details on what exactly happened and other related info.

http://www.donatetoles.com/#

For those that asked I am trying to ascertain that it is legit (I believe Les's wife has done it) and offers a donation option.

I will talk to Les and his wife later today to confirm so please wait for this confirmation before sending any donation.

13. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Is this for real?

9 Bullet holes?

Shot 9 times?

That morning, Les spent 4 hours in emergency surgery, lost over half of his blood and was placed in ICU in critical but stable condition. Les is incredibly lucky to have survived the assault.

Les's injuries included 9 bullet holes, extensive blood loss, a broken knee and a broken and shattered arm bone.

After the initial surgery Les is out of immediate danger but does have more reconstructive surgeries ahead to repair the 2 broken bones as well as a long road of rehabilitation in order to obtain full recovery.

Les appreciates the overwhelming response of all the people in the Dominican Republic who have come into the hospital to donate blood for his recovery. He will require more type O+ blood for more surgeries in the weeks to come.

That morning, Les spent 4 hours in emergency surgery, lost over half of his blood and was placed in ICU in critical but stable condition. Les is incredibly lucky to have survived the assault.

Les's injuries included 9 bullet holes, extensive blood loss, a broken knee and a broken and shattered arm bone.

After the initial surgery Les is out of immediate danger but does have more reconstructive surgeries ahead to repair the 2 broken bones as well as a long road of rehabilitation in order to obtain full recovery.

Les appreciates the overwhelming response of all the people in the Dominican Republic who have come into the hospital to donate blood for his recovery. He will require more type O+ blood for more surgeries in the weeks to come.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Some appear to be EXIT wounds.. (not speaking professionally) but just from observation..
    I think the perps were using ball ammo, if they had hollowpoints he would not be alive as he would have bled out from the exit wounds ,not to mention internal tissue damage.

but yeagh, this guy is pretty TOUGH..
    God Bless him and speedy recovery.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

That's a good guy there.

Thanks for the link WW, I read the articles and watched the Canadian news video. I thought that was pretty good reporting considering what sources (dominican media) they were using. One of the CTV news reports shows some of the video footage, but they left out the part where Les hit one of the thieves with his baseball bat. I wish they had shown that, then Canada would know how Les fought and likely saved all the students from harm.

19. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Been to see Les this morning. He is in great spirits for someone with 9 bullet holes in him.

The bullet that shattered his right knee deflected up and grazed his left testicle.....so he is lucky in many senses.

He will be leaving CMC in the next couple of days and when fit to travel will return to Canada for recuperation. When fit fully intends to return to Cabarete and continue his life here.

However it is confirmed that he has no medical insurance and the website http://www.donatetoles.com/# has been put together by his wife and daughter so is genuine.

He expects his hospital bill will be in excess of US$8,000 so any donations via Paypal on this site will be gratefully received.

If anyone is in Cabarete on Saturday morning he expects to be at his Saturday market, https://www.facebook.com/VecinosSaturdayMarket, so stop by and show some support.

21. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information