Thread: Web or Phone Call: How do you book your hotel?

Thanks

Web or Phone Call: How do you book your hotel?

Sent e-mail to New Garden regarding a booking.

No answer back thus far.

Is this normal? Should I just call?

What is the best way to go about booking a hotel in Sosua?
    Just another useless non paying lurker looking for information with no intentions of ever giving back

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grooveholmes For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Web or Phone Call: How do you book your hotel?

book thru one of our sponsors for a great deal
    they are listed on the front page under the 'forum' section part way down
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

before someone else say it
    4 posts in 9 years better late than never

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

If they're not a sponsor on here, sometimes email and sometimes I call. Whatever works and ensures that the reservation is set and the rate is confirmed. Some unknown hotels you still can end up with issues over the rate at time of check in though. When in doubt book with a hotel and/or that's highly regarded on here.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

I have always booked by email every where that I have stayed.
    That way I have a confirmation that I can print and show them should there ever be an issue with the agreed upon price.

My first trip I stayed at New Garden and there was an issue with the rate until I pulled out the email and set them straight.

Never had an issue with the other places I stayed, those being Sosua Suites, D Perio and Casa Cayena.

I prefer to do it in writing but I would guess a phone call would work as well.
    Much better than going in blind
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 40,590 Times in 5,066 Posts

I always stick with email. It's the 21st century, if they can't be bothered to respond (at least somewhat) quickly to email then they don't deserve my business.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deezl For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    I have always booked by email every where that I have stayed.
    That way I have a confirmation that I can print and show them should there ever be an issue with the agreed upon price.

My first trip I stayed at New Garden and there was an issue with the rate until I pulled out the email and set them straight.

Never had an issue with the other places I stayed, those being Sosua Suites, D Perio and Casa Cayena.

I prefer to do it in writing but I would guess a phone call would work as well.
    Much better than going in blind

I would generally agree with this, but I have found that in the whole DR, cash is king, and i would not even hesitate to fly down without a reservation.. Credit card to hold a reservation mean NOTHING sometimes ( as in like if a Cash customer walks in just hours before you do with your " online reservation") .
    For example a Big Hotel in SD once "lost" our reservation for 8 Rooms, had no record of it whatsover, how do you do that, how is that even possible ?
    Another Time and AI also Lost the reservations... And these are REPUTABLE places with Trained people..
    but Somehow they manage it, even with multiple calls and emails.

Unless you have a voucher printed, from them nothing is 100% ..
    So If you have a backup plan, i would not hesitate to fly down with no reservations whatsoever, especially Sosua, park your luggage somewhere, and then go make a deal. You are no less off than a guy who thinks he has a room cuz he has an email printed.
    But one needs to have a good backup plan..
    If you recall the Terra Linda for one, gave much better deals showing up in person with cash in hand, than thru reservations.. Not singling them out..
    In other parts of the DR, same thing.. I just saw a hotel online I wanted to book which is $128 + the taxes & would not budge. .. but i made a deal with them by having someone from 809 # call, for $110 cash.. that is typical IMO.
    . The online prices are sucker prices, even in high season.. If they got rooms, cash in person talks.

that said , I also agree go with one of ISOC Sponsors.. cause at least they DO honor your Reservations..
    just my .02

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I would generally agree with this, but I have found that in the whole DR, cash is king, and i would not even hesitate to fly down without a reservation.. Credit card to hold a reservation mean NOTHING sometimes ( as in like if a Cash customer walks in just hours before you do with your " online reservation") .
    For example a Big Hotel in SD once "lost" our reservation for 8 Rooms, had no record of it whatsover, how do you do that, how is that even possible ?
    Another Time and AI also Lost the reservations... And these are REPUTABLE places with Trained people..

So If you have a backup plan, i would not hesitate to fly down with no reservations whatsoever, especially Sosua, park your luggage somewhere, and then go make a deal. You are no less off than a guy who thinks he has a room cuz he has an email printed.
    If you recall the Terra Linda for one, gave much better deals showing up in person with cash in hand, than thru reservations.. Not singling them out..
    In other parts of the DR, same thing.. I just saw a hotel online I wanted to book which is $128 + the taxes & would not budge. .. but i made a deal with them by having someone from 809 # call, for $110 cash.. that is typical IMO.
    . The online prices are sucker prices, even in high season.. If they got rooms, cash in person talks.

that said , I also agree go with one of ISOC Sponsors.. cause at least they DO honor your Reservations..
    just my .02
    Well that is why I book with Casa Cayena or Rick.
    So far when I make a reservation, it is always there but I do confirm it with them a few days before I arrive.
    I have never had to hold it with a credit card and I pay cash when I get there.
    I have always got the ISOC rate with them and I think their rates are fair.
    For me having the comfort of knowing that they are going to come through for me is a good reason to continue to use them.
    Plus I like how both of them do a good job of taking care of their guests.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with you on all those points.. my quoting you was on that one small item, as it pertains to all the OTHER hotels (imo) , and an FYI to the OP.. just in case he thinks he has some "protection or recourse " if there is no room for him when he shows up with his printed email..

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

always best to talk to the hotels on the phone to get results......you can always followup by email etc......
    one of the biggest complaints on boards is that the hotels don't answer emails.......
    but for some reason when you call they usually answer der phone.......nuff said......lol

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    before someone else say it
    4 posts in 9 years better late than never
    If they gave gold medals for procrastinating then I'd be Michael Phelps. My loss.

...but no more procrastinating...time's a wasting!

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Grooveholmes For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveholmes View Post
    If they gave gold medals for procrastinating then I'd be Michael Phelps. My loss.

...but no more procrastinating...time's a wasting!
    I wish this board had of been around 40 years ago

as you get older time seems to go faster......except between trips

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

just my .02
    Great info, JudgeSmails...thanks.

Where is a good place to park some luggage?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grooveholmes For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveholmes View Post
    Great info, JudgeSmails...thanks.

Where is a good place to park some luggage?
    I would make conversation & friends with Fellow Board members who are in town same time as you, and then just have the cab drop you off where THEY are staying to have a look at their Rooms as perhaps a first option. .. Or at least have a MEAL at their Restaurant, and go from there.
    I have a spot I can always go to 24 hours a day, but one has to make ones own contacts that way. The lighter you travel the better of course.
    Most people who are settled in are more than happy to help you locate a Room somewhere.. One hand washes the other.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would make conversation & friends with Fellow Board members who are in town same time as you, and then just have the cab drop you off where THEY are staying to have a look at their Rooms as perhaps a first option. .. Or at least have a MEAL at their Restaurant, and go from there.
    I have a spot I can always go to 24 hours a day, but one has to make ones own contacts that way. The lighter you travel the better of course.
    Most people who are settled in are more than happy to help you locate a Room somewhere.. One hand washes the other.
    Good points...thanks.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grooveholmes For This Useful Post:

Thread Information