Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05/2014 - Car Scam in Puerto Plata

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

05/2014 - Car Scam in Puerto Plata

Everyone should be very aware when driving in Puerto Plata. On two previous occasions Dominicans attempted to scam me while driving. They throw something at your car or under it so you hear some kind of bang or other noise. Then they pull up to you telling you they saw something fall off your car or whatever. Of course they know a mechanic that can fix the issue and are only too happy to help you. The first time this happened the guy even looked under my car and came out holding a part that "fell off". The part was not from my car. In both instances I just told them to go away.

That brings us to Tuesday. I went to Puerto Plata early in the AM. I was going to the Ministry of Health to see about getting a couple of shots prior to my Africa trip. Almost as soon as I turned on the the malecon I noticed a SUV following me. To be certain I slowed and sped up several different times and it stayed right with me. When I turned at the fire station the SUV turned with me. So I made another left and it followed. Then I made two more lefts which brought me back out on the malecon. I no longer saw the SUV. I drove down the malecon a few blocks and then turned around to come back.

I turned at the fire station and went up the street and made a right turn. I parked on the street. I did not see the SUV. Went into the building but it didn't take more than 15 minutes to figure out that getting the shots there was going to be too much hassle. I did notice a Dominican guy standing next to me when the woman was trying to explain all the BS I had to go through to get the shots. That BS included going to another place a few street over and getting a blood analysis prior to getting the shot.

I returned to my car and the friendly Dominican drove up next to me just as I was going to start the car. He was motioning for me to follow him; as in he would show me where I needed to go for the analysis. But I was just returning to Sosua and I ignored him. Then when I turned the key to start the car nothing happened. I had power but nothing happened.
    Enjoy it while you can.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Car Scam in Puerto Plata

I got out and popped the hood and, miracle of miracles, the friendly Dominican came walking back to help me. I told him to go away several times. Then I got on the phone and called my mechanic in Sosua. He said he would be there in about 90 minutes. Closed the hood and got back in the car. I was pissed. I knew exactly what had happened. Then the Dominican and his buddy came driving by one last time trying to reel me in with their offer of assistance. I just waved them off. I wanted to give them the finger or, better yet, shoot them dead but nothing to gain from that.

The mechanic finally shows up and the alternator belt was cut but that would not stop the car from starting. It only takes him a minute before he finds this:

They had cut some kind of sensor wires going to the transmission or whatever. The result was that my car did not "know" it was in PARK and it wouldn't start. He ran to the store and replaced the belt and bought a piece of wire. He used the wire to bypass whatever and the car started. He told me to shift it manually (it is an automatic) and drive straight to his shop. If I shut it off it would not restart. Got back to his place and left the car. It was about 3000 pesos to have it fixed. Bastards.

The first two times the scam was attempted they did not damage my car. This time they waited until I parked and then fucked my car up.

Be extremely careful if you have to be driving in PUerto Plata. I talked to another guy today and they tried to scam him this morning but didn't damage anything. I'm done driving in Puerto Plata unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

ok who's husband have you pissed off
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    ok who's husband have you pissed off
    Couldn't have been a Dominicana's husband. I haven't fucked a Dominicana in almost two years (blow jobs don't count).

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Did they throw The hard fruit or whatever it was, while you were driving up a HILL by any chance ? That seems to be their favorite M O... I think so the fruit rolls downhill and you dont see what they threw so easily that was my guess.
    Cuz The tried that shit on me almost exactly a year ago, going to POP (puerto Plata city, not the airport, i was past the airport) from Sosua as I recall. I dont remember the exact spot but its a STEEP HILL.

. I thought i commited some Faux pas by going too slow up the hill, they pull up as if to pass, to get a view of you, then they back up into position again, then they pull up as if to pass again and throw something.. it hit the side of the car, I saw the guy throw it from the side mirror..
    Pulled over but stayed in the car.. waved them off. they came out and started walking towards me like they wanna help talking some shit like " oh we just want to HELP, you think all Dominicans are THIEVES" in spanish.
    As I recall they said one of my TIRES was VERY LOW + something FELL off.. like ok ..LOL .. I only been working on cars since i was like 16, these Douche bags gonna teach me about cars and how shit just happens to fall off, and you just happen to throw something at my car.... LOL

I laughed at them and they took off..2 of them, NOT good..probably looking to ROB but if you dont get out of the car, they not gonna chance it.

This is almost Like a childs prank really, we used to throw snowballs at cars when we were what,, like 12 years old.

but these Fuckers are taking it to another Level now cutting wires when you were parked ??
    .. fucking douchebags.. Hope they get whats coming to them trying this shit on the wrong person one day.

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    Hope they get whats coming to them trying this shit on the wrong person one day.
    These wankers been doing this shit for years.

This is the point, although they are dumb pond scum Dominicans with intelligence levels less than an amoeba, they will not get what is coming to them because they will not attack the wrong person.

They specifically target susceptible individuals like an older gringo driving alone or a gringo couple, as per when you had your incident.

And they do this because they can see into the vehicle, who is driving and who else is inside.

The ONLY way to prevent this is to have darkened tinted windows ALL ROUND and keep the windows up. (for some this may mean getting the A/C fixed..right Seville)

Then the baddies cannot see clearly who is in the vehicle so will never take a chance that it may be some heat packing narco with his crew.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post

This is the point, although they are dumb pond scum Dominicans with intelligence levels less than an amoeba, they will not get what is coming to them because they will not attack the wrong person.

They specifically target susceptible individuals like an older gringo driving alone or a gringo couple, as per when you had your incident.

And they do this because they can see into the vehicle, who is driving and who else is inside.

The ONLY way to prevent this is to have darkened tinted windows ALL ROUND and keep the windows up. (for some this may mean getting the A/C fixed..right Seville)

Then the baddies cannot see clearly who is in the vehicle so will never take a chance that it may be some heat packing narco with his crew.
    AC fixed... damn Willie, he did this...the windows go down don't they... you damn tea & crumpets folks are so damn sophisticated!!!

He will be fixing the AC when he takes the Jeepeta in for a car wash!!!!!

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post

A/C????? What the hell is that. You Englishmen need to man up. Maybe that is why you lost the Revolutionary War. Your troops were waiting for the A/C. King George III told them it was on the way.

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Good info from Seville, but do not let anybody think Puerto Plata is worse for this common scam then anywhere else. There was a post recently on DR1 about the same thing happening in Sosua, and earlier I read one about La Romana. My then landlord had stories about this when I first arrived seven years ago.

The deciding factor is not the town, but whether you have soft target written over you. I can confidently say it has never happened to any publico I have been riding in!

Seville is always looking for excuses not to visit Pto Pta, to avoid buying me lunch.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I was taken for 4000 pesos last month on the way to Puerto Plata. Same M/O, something banged under the car, two helpful dominicans just happened to be passing, offered to help, very convincing. The stupid thing is that I was well aware of this scam and I was still taken in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Good info from Seville, but do not let anybody think Puerto Plata is worse for this common scam then anywhere else. There was a post recently on DR1 about the same thing happening in Sosua, and earlier I read one about La Romana. My then landlord had stories about this when I first arrived seven years ago.

The deciding factor is not the town, but whether you have soft target written over you. I can confidently say it has never happened to any publico I have been riding in!

Seville is always looking for excuses not to visit Pto Pta, to avoid buying me lunch.
    According to my mechanic it does only happen in Puerto Plata. I spend 99.999% of my time driving in and around Sosua - Cabarete. Nothing like that has ever happened in almost 4 years. It has happened to me three times in less than a year in Puerto Plata and I am rarely there.

17. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer View Post
    I was taken for 4000 pesos last month on the way to Puerto Plata. Same M/O, something banged under the car, two helpful dominicans just happened to be passing, offered to help, very convincing. The stupid thing is that I was well aware of this scam and I was still taken in.
    If its not too much trouble, and not to Re Live it and all but can you elaborate a little on exactly HOW they got the 4 mil pesos out of you.
    Did they "fix" something ? just curious what their specific game plan is once they engage you.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    If its not too much trouble, and not to Re Live it and all but can you elaborate a little on exactly HOW they got the 4 mil pesos out of you.
    Did they "fix" something ? just curious what their specific game plan is once they engage you.
    Unfortunately I have become very jaded. As far as I am concerned any Dominican offering to help you on the North Coast is trying to fuck you. Don't even engage them. Just send them on their way as quickly as possible. I know full well that it is not actually true but you have to treat every encounter that way.

21. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

How about this vehicle? Just change the glass into bulletproof tinted

‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    Unfortunately I have become very jaded. As far as I am concerned any Dominican offering to help you on the North Coast is trying to fuck you. Don't even engage them. Just send them on their way as quickly as possible. I know full well that it is not actually true but you have to treat every encounter that way.
    I have had plenty of honest to goodness assistance in the country from Dominicans. Sometimes without them wanting much in return if anything. It depends where you are and the circumstances. Once my car broke down at the poor person hospital (green building) in Puerto Plata and a couple Dominican guys stopped and tried to help fix the car for 45 minutes. They ended up unsuccessful and was going to leave without asking for anything. I appreciated their effort and passed them some pesos and we were all feeling good. Unfortunately, I am so very scared to let a stranger into my life to help me now... I always think... "why should I be so fortunate to have such good fortune come before me"... Like you, I am jaded too... Its a self preservation instinct now... unfortunately...
    I do not care what you think. Pour me a coffee.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

According to my mechanic it does only happen in Puerto Plata. I spend 99.999% of my time driving in and around Sosua - Cabarete. Nothing like that has ever happened in almost 4 years. It has happened to me three times in less than a year in Puerto Plata and I am rarely there.
    So you drove to Pto Pta three times plus at least one more time trouble-free? Say half-hour each way, makes 4 hours. But you claim to spend 99999 times as much time driving round Sosua/Cabarete. That comes to 45+ years of driving 24/7 in "less than a year".

Your testimony is not reliable.

And I am glad you don't teach math in the school.

26. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Damn Seville, first it's a car scam that cost you a pretty peso to repair. Then it's a fucked up system that you are trying to make heads or tails out of on a new computer that you bought.

Not exactly the best of weeks for a retired civil servant, is it?

What next, a Haitiana getting lockjaw while giving you a bj? I think you need to take a trip someplace, whaddya say?

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

According to my mechanic it does only happen in Puerto Plata..
    they must be watching the 1960's American tv movies and getting pointers from them.

those scams were all the rage back then

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    I have had plenty of honest to goodness assistance in the country from Dominicans. Sometimes without them wanting much in return if anything. It depends where you are and the circumstances. ...
    back in 05 I spent 3 weeks at xmas in sosua and was so fuckin bored I rented marcos old car and one night on the way back to the trade winds I blew out his tires going thru a washed out drainage ditch and a Dominican on a bike turned around and changed the tire for me ( didn't want to get my drinking glass dirty ) and when asked how much he said no charge so then I over paid him

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Everyone should be very aware when driving in Puerto Plata. On two previous occasions Dominicans attempted to scam me while driving. They throw something at your car or under it so you hear some kind of bang or other noise. Then they pull up to you telling you they saw something fall off your car or whatever. Of course they know a mechanic that can fix the issue and are only too happy to help you. The first time this happened the guy even looked under my car and came out holding a part that "fell off". The part was not from my car. In both instances I just told them to go away.

That brings us to Tuesday. I went to Puerto Plata early in the AM. I was going to the Ministry of Health to see about getting a couple of shots prior to my Africa trip. Almost as soon as I turned on the the malecon I noticed a SUV following me. To be certain I slowed and sped up several different times and it stayed right with me. When I turned at the fire station the SUV turned with me. So I made another left and it followed. Then I made two more lefts which brought me back out on the malecon. I no longer saw the SUV. I drove down the malecon a few blocks and then turned around to come back.

I turned at the fire station and went up the street and made a right turn. I parked on the street. I did not see the SUV. Went into the building but it didn't take more than 15 minutes to figure out that getting the shots there was going to be too much hassle. I did notice a Dominican guy standing next to me when the woman was trying to explain all the BS I had to go through to get the shots. That BS included going to another place a few street over and getting a blood analysis prior to getting the shot.

I returned to my car and the friendly Dominican drove up next to me just as I was going to start the car. He was motioning for me to follow him; as in he would show me where I needed to go for the analysis. But I was just returning to Sosua and I ignored him. Then when I turned the key to start the car nothing happened. I had power but nothing happened.

what about the blood test? that seems like a scam also, or is it legit?

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information