Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Re: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Quote Originally Posted by davemaryland View Post
    Thanks again JD. When I arrived in Boca Chica Last night, my claro phone was blocked after a few years of use. I had a chica on the way to meet me. Thanks goodness for having a friend here. His phone was also block. But I used his chicas phone to set up the meet and later my chica sent a text to her, when she arrived at the hotel here in boca. This morning we went to the claro store and they said the same thing. Could not use my passport to set up a new number. So I now have a new number under my chicas cedula number. Now all is well.
    Glad it worked out for ya
    Sometimes it's nice to have a friend there
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Glad it worked out for ya
    Sometimes it's nice to have a friend there
    JD - Are our numbers good now going forward that we had our chicas register recently? Or will they be blocked if we don't use them? how long before they become blocked if we don't recharge them with pesos?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    JD - Are our numbers good now going forward that we had our chicas register recently? Or will they be blocked if we don't use them? how long before they become blocked if we don't recharge them with pesos?

Well as far as I know those rules have not changed.

My understanding is that for

Claro you have 60 days to keep the balance from expiring and 120 days to keep from loosing the number.

Orange you have 120 days to keep from loosing the number. Not entirely remembering how many days you have with Orange to keep the balance from expiring but I seem to remember it being a little longer than Claro (Someone else can clarify that)

If you are in the country and have Claro you can dial *122# and it will tell you what your balance is and when it expires

With Orange I think it is 453 or *141*# to check your balance but not sure.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Well as far as I know those rules have not changed.

My understanding is that for

Claro you have 60 days to keep the balance from expiring and 120 days to keep from loosing the number.

Orange you have 120 days to keep from loosing the number. Not entirely remembering how many days you have with Orange to keep the balance from expiring but I seem to remember it being a little longer than Claro (Someone else can clarify that)

If you are in the country and have Claro you can dial *122# and it will tell you what your balance is and when it expires

With Orange I think it is 453 or *141*# to check your balance but not sure.
    Orange is *223* and you get a text back with your balance.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davemaryland View Post
    Thanks again JD. When I arrived in Boca Chica Last night, my claro phone was blocked after a few years of use. I had a chica on the way to meet me. Thanks goodness for having a friend here. His phone was also block. But I used his chicas phone to set up the meet and later my chica sent a text to her, when she arrived at the hotel here in boca. This morning we went to the claro store and they said the same thing. Could not use my passport to set up a new number. So I now have a new number under my chicas cedula number. Now all is well.

I don't understand this. If that is the case how does anyone without a cedula obtain a phone here? If I arrive here for a 3 week vacation I can't use my passport to obtain a phone?
    Enjoy it while you can.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
    I don't understand this. If that is the case how does anyone without a cedula obtain a phone here? If I arrive here for a 3 week vacation I can't use my passport to obtain a phone?
    It seems to me its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet....Hey Dawson..get down there...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 511 Posts

Yes, its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davemaryland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Of course not.......you know better. Just use my tactic and borrow a friends.
    Vida es buena....

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    It seems to me its a computer glitch that they haven't worked out yet....Hey Dawson..get down there...
    There's no fixing incompetence, which always seems to be in abundance down there.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was in Puerto Plata in mid June and both my Claro and Orange numbers worked fine.
    Both were obtained with my passport at the stores in Sosua about three years ago.
    I also have a unregistered Claro card from the street and it also worked last trip.
    I always keep them topped up via babblebug.com.
    Next Wednesday I fly into Las Americas for a trip to La Romana. I desperatly need my phones data connections to work for buisness.

Will I need to re-register the sim cards, thst were origionaly purchased with my passport?

Does anybody know if there is a Orange and Claro store at the airport?

If neccessary, will I be able to purchase new cards with my passport?

My favorita will surely get me the new cards on her cedula if neccessary. I just hate to put them in her name and also dont want to loose my numbers.

Thnx..!!!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Old school For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old school View Post
    I was in Puerto Plata in mid June and both my Claro and Orange numbers worked fine.
    Both were obtained with my passport at the stores in Sosua about three years ago.
    I also have a unregistered Claro card from the street and it also worked last trip.
    I always keep them topped up via babblebug.com.
    Next Wednesday I fly into Las Americas for a trip to La Romana. I desperatly need my phones data connections to work for buisness.

Will I need to re-register the sim cards, thst were origionaly purchased with my passport?

Does anybody know if there is a Orange and Claro store at the airport?

If neccessary, will I be able to purchase new cards with my passport?

My favorita will surely get me the new cards on her cedula if neccessary. I just hate to put them in her name and also dont want to loose my numbers.

Thnx..!!!
    The entire reason for all of this is to have a verified name for each number. If you bought yours with your passport as ID, it's a safe guess it's registered in your name already, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If they do suspend it, just call customer service and tell them and you should get it back up and running
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The entire reason for all of this is to have a verified name for each number. If you bought yours with your passport as ID, it's a safe guess it's registered in your name already, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If they do suspend it, just call customer service and tell them and you should get it back up and running

It makes sense but I don't think it is working that way.
    I purchased my sim card in a Claro store in Sosua 2 years ago and at that time it was registered in my name with my American passport.

Upon my arrival the end of June my Claro phone was not functional.

Your case might be different but be prepared for it to not work when you arrive.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

I purchased my sim card in a Claro store in Sosua 2 years ago and at that time it was registered in my name with my American passport.

Your case might be different but be prepared for it to not work when you arrive.
    Right. That's why I said "shouldn't" instead of "betting my life"

I mentioned before that I had a problem with all 60+ phones I have in my name with Claro and Orange. One phone call to each phone company rectified the situation. Both companies resolved the problem in less than 5 minutes.

I think they went a little overboard on shutting down numbers.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

The way I understand it is that your number (sim) is now suspended until you re-register it. I have been told that with Claro, even a foreigner can do it on line with their passport, but who knows if that is true. The latest story I heard was that the system was now overloaded and not working. Whether true or not, it is believable.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    The way I understand it is that your number (sim) is now suspended until you re-register it. I have been told that with Claro, even a foreigner can do it on line with their passport, but who knows if that is true. The latest story I heard was that the system was now overloaded and not working. Whether true or not, it is believable.
    I tried typing in my PP# or phone # in Número de documento
    Claro won't let me go any further

EZETOP took my $5 though I'm taking a few dollar gamble to see if it works

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just back from a week in Santo Domingo. At Las Americas airport it took only minutes to confirm both my Claro and Orange sim cards. Both numbers worked on my June trip but would not work when I landed this time. Both are numbers I have had for three years and were origionaly registered with my passport. Interestingly neither store even looked at my passport. They typed in my number, my name came up. They asked me if the name was correct. I said correct. They typed a few keys on their laptop and presto the cards worked again.
    My favorita brought me new cards just in case. She put them in her name. She was complaining because they told her she can only have three numbers now.
    Bring on the next contestant

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Old school For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Same happened to me on a recent trip.
    My sim was purchased in the store using my passport maybe 2 years ago, but did not work on arrival.

Stopped at the store in the airport. Was told I would have to go to the main office, but when I questioned that...she typed a few keys, and told me I would be good within the hour. 5 minutes later I was good to go.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrblackluv For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old school View Post
    Just back from a week in Santo Domingo. At Las Americas airport it took only minutes to confirm both my Claro and Orange sim cards. Both numbers worked on my June trip but would not work when I landed this time. Both are numbers I have had for three years and were origionaly registered with my passport. Interestingly neither store even looked at my passport. They typed in my number, my name came up. They asked me if the name was correct. I said correct. They typed a few keys on their laptop and presto the cards worked again.
    My favorita brought me new cards just in case. She put them in her name. She was complaining because they told her she can only have three numbers now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    Same happened to me on a recent trip.
    My sim was purchased in the store using my passport maybe 2 years ago, but did not work on arrival.

Stopped at the store in the airport. Was told I would have to go to the main office, but when I questioned that...she typed a few keys, and told me I would be good within the hour. 5 minutes later I was good to go.
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll still keep adding $5 every few months via ezetop, I'll take the gamble

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    I was just there June 23rd. My cell and orange sim worked just fine. I made calls, received calls, text, etc. Does that mean they just haven't gotten to my sim card number yet??
    My orange sim was finally suspended this past week. I went to the Orange store over by banco poplar. The chica clicked a few keys on the computer and I was back up and running. She didn't even ask for my ID. It took all of one minute and eleven seconds. And the sim isn't even registered in my name.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Same here as some of the previously mentioned. I have an Orange sim I purchased years back in my name. I arrived and put some minutes on it at a pharmacy, but calls/texts wouldn't go through. I went to the Orange store in Sosua and told them it wasn't working. After punching my number in the computer, he verified my name, punched a few more keys, and all was good again...........no identification needed.

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information