Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Re: 05/2014 - Prepaid cellphones - new rules

Quote Originally Posted by MyTio View Post
    last time I was in in January the Claro store in sosua was closed had to go to PP to get a new sim card
    I think it has moved to the big store on the highway.... They have kiosk by checkout
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Great. I have 1200rd on my phone and I am not back until the 24th. I only have a passport....no cedula.

See my post #37. Also, common sense (oxymoron in the D.R. I know) says to me that after June 12 the number would be suspended until you re-register, not cancelled

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Great. I have 1200rd on my phone and I am not back until the 24th. I only have a passport....no cedula.
    Just curious as to why anyone would have RD$1,200 credit on their prepaid phone?

Don't most people just top up RD$100 or RD$200?????

Don't let any chica borrow your phone as she can transfer your minutes in a heartbeat.

Maybe better off getting a plan as your credit is RD$400 more than my monthly plan

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Just curious as to why anyone would have RD$1,200 credit on their prepaid phone?

Don't let any chica borrow your phone as she can transfer your minutes in a heartbeat.

Maybe better off getting a plan as your credit is RD$400 more than my monthly plan
    I don't have a clue how much I have on mine, but I think it will be a lot. Buying $10 every 2 or 3 months to keep it active and not using them should have added up!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    I don't have a clue how much I have on mine, but I think it will be a lot. Buying $10 every 2 or 3 months to keep it active and not using them should have added up!
    Does it not expire?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow, really you guys do that.

As it's been a while you must have a few grand in cellphone credit down here, no wonder Carlos Slim is one of the worlds richest guys.

Maybe you can get to use a few in the imminent future.

But if you don't pass them over as I can always find some willing chica to trade minutes for dick sucking

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

As it's been a while you must have a few grand in cellphone credit down here, no wonder Carlos Slim is one of the worlds richest guys.

But if you don't pass them over as I can always find some willing chica to trade minutes for dick sucking
    Don't you just love the barter system! I won't be back until the 20th so that will be a problem for me as well.
    Enjoy it while you can.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Señor JDR of Medellin View Post
    Does it not expire?
    If you continue to top it off before the expiration date than your old minutes will not expire.

There is another thread that explains the whole expiration date issue
    For example Claro prepaid minutes expire after 60 days.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wow I did not know you could transfer your minutes to another account.
    Might be a good bartering tool as long as you can control the transfer.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Wow I did not know you could transfer your minutes to another account.
    Might be a good bartering tool as long as you can control the transfer.
    Don't know about Claro but here is the how to for Orange.

http://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/pasa-tus-fondos

Never done it myself but all the chicas know this trick. Never let them use your phone.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Callingmart use to let me just do $5.00, but they did away with that option. Now the cheapest is $10.00.

I plan on bartering some of those minutes away myself!

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't know about Claro but here is the how to for Orange.

http://www.orange.com.do/web/servicios/pasa-tus-fondos

Never done it myself but all the chicas know this trick. Never let them use your phone.

She may steal your minutes. OOORRRR she could erase EVERY contact in your phone.....except hers of course!

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TNT72 For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

I was making a few calls to Canada from my DR phone. I have magicjack but I needed to make a few calls on the road. I did not make the last call, thus mucho minutos.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

Brazil does the samething or something similar. I had a phone last year and i had to get the property manager of the apartment i was staying, goto the newsstand and buy a sim card for me. He had to use his id number. Last year was the first time i had my own phone in Rio, so i dont know when they started doing it.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    I think it has moved to the big store on the highway.... They have kiosk by checkout
    Yes, Claro is located in the new Super Pollo, as well as one in Playaro. I spoke with the lady last night in S Pollo and they can issue new sim cards at her counter, however all registration (existing sims) with oversee passport data must be processed in Puerto Plata. Have not heard from anyone that has been able to re-register online with Claro using an oversees passport #
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is this where the main Claro office is located in PP?

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Is this where the main Claro office is located in PP?

Click to see pic
    Yes.

Allow plenty of time. I had to queue for 75 minutes on Tuesday just to buy a new router, paying cash. I thought that was because of all the people registering their pre-paids, but once I got nearer the counters I could not see a lot of that going on, just the usual miscellany of problems.

You have to queue inside the front door to explain your problem to the receptionist. She enters your name on their computer system and you wait in another queue until your name is called. Would be better if they gave out numbered tickets, because if you miss your name you might lose your chance.

There were twelve manned windows and not more than fifty customers in the place at any time, so in any First World country it would not have taken more than half hour at most. The problem is the massive bureaucracy. Just to buy a router (and there was only one model on offer) they took me through all my existing contract details, took two photocopies of my passport, and filled up a quarto sheet with painfully slow handwriting.

I had to laugh. One assistant called out the next name. No response (the customer had presumably got fed up waiting and left). Called out a second name (same lack of response). Instead of trying a third name on the list he gave up and spent the next ten minutes re-arranging the fluffy toys stuck to his monitor. Another problem is that everybody knows everybody, so when someone steps up to the window there is a long session of gossip and exchange of kids' photos before they get down to business.

This seems generally accepted and no-one complains.

34. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Yes.

Allow plenty of time. I had to queue for 75 minutes on Tuesday just to buy a new router, paying cash. I thought that was because of all the people registering their pre-paids, but once I got nearer the counters I could not see a lot of that going on, just the usual miscellany of problems.

You have to queue inside the front door to explain your problem to the receptionist. She enters your name on their computer system and you wait in another queue until your name is called. Would be better if they gave out numbered tickets, because if you miss your name you might lose your chance.

There were twelve manned windows and not more than fifty customers in the place at any time, so in any First World country it would not have taken more than half hour at most. The problem is the massive bureaucracy. Just to buy a router (and there was only one model on offer) they took me through all my existing contract details, took two photocopies of my passport, and filled up a quarto sheet with painfully slow handwriting.

I had to laugh. One assistant called out the next name. No response (the customer had presumably got fed up waiting and left). Called out a second name (same lack of response). Instead of trying a third name on the list he gave up and spent the next ten minutes re-arranging the fluffy toys stuck to his monitor. Another problem is that everybody knows everybody, so when someone steps up to the window there is a long session of gossip and exchange of kids' photos before they get down to business.

This seems generally accepted and no-one complains.
    why cant you just say "waited in line" ?

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    why cant you just say "waited in line" ?
    Ladies and gentlemen queue. Waiting in line is what you do in prisons and soup kitchens.

To be fair, the Claro system did seem to eliminate the usual problem with "waiting in line" in the DR, which is that, for every one place you move forward, two asshole Dominicans push in front of you. There was still plenty of that going on, but they gained nothing as the names were called in the right order.

38. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

If you have not already registered your phone, when you hit the ground in the next month and before you register it...you might still be able to use it to receive calls and texts but not make calls and texts. Had I owned an Orange sim, I could have registered it in most company stores, but that is not the case for Claro where you have to go to their main regional office. I am going to get a second sim in my dual sim card phone (Orange or Viva). I wonder what kind of signal Viva has up on the north coast? I will have to ask around... Anyways below is my phone/DR story...

I drove from Cabarete to Puerto Plata to register my pre paid phone and do some other things about five days before the June 12 deadline. They registered it for me in the computer and all seemed fine for two days after the deadline. However on June 16th the phone stopped working. I could still receive phone calls and texts but could not make phone calls or make a text. I went to the Claro offices in Cabarete and Sosua and they both told me my phone was activated and should work but that they could not help me and I had to go back to Puerto Plata to the main office to find out what happened. I went to the main office for the second time a few days later and waited in line for about 45 minutes. A nice woman registered my phone and told me it would take about 30 minutes to be re-activated. I asked what happened and she did not know...she just said "something happened" So I left hoping I would not have to return. Fortunately the second time the phone actually started to work in about 15 minutes or so after leaving the office.
    Last edited by jose1234; 06-20-2014 at 01:25 AM.
    I do not care what you think. Pour me a coffee.

40. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information